Chapter 70
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Idling before Jace’s door, Zye knows he has to go inside. Once he helped Kerse with moving the books into her new, albeit barren, room, he left her in his. She can have one final night in there taking whatever she wants as far as he’s concerned.

He feels bad about it. To be left alone by those she cares about regardless of reason isn’t easy. Coming near loss once more has him anxious. It crawls across his skin like feather-footed spiders.

There are more people to live for— more to live with and enjoy. The worry of death and being without them has him more impatient than he cares for. He wants to move, finish things, and enjoy them. To never be in the circumstances that would lead to him losing one of them.

Even if he knows one day it’ll surely happen. This can’t be a guarantee forever…

…can it?

Zye physically shakes his head to try and disperse the thoughts. Dwelling on them won’t do any good. Acting because of them will.

Come in,” resounds Jace’s voice in his mind.

A warm tingle races down his spine every time he experiences it. He wonders if he’ll ever get used to it. Everything is still new and strange.

His fingers curl around the handle as he opens it. He expects Callua to be inside— they did leave together. Yet the only one in the room that he can see is Jace as the man enters the room.

A towel is draped around his shoulders to catch the water still dripping from his hair. A loose, sleeveless shirt hangs off his shoulders. It’s a thin dark blue material that nearly seems see-through when the light hits it just right. It ends at the waistband of shorts that shift around his knees as he walks.

“Callua said she’ll be busy and to not wait up for her.”

Jace comes closer with Zye’s previous clothes in his arms. Clothes far more comfortable to sleep in than denim. Still, Zye is far too caught up in the fact that he forgot what he just said to this man. A phrase he would normally be able to play off if it were someone like Callua or Shae.

This man surely took it to heart when he obviously has a more romantic setup to allow them to exchange their feelings. Not an off-the-cuff remark.

“Ah…everything okay? She’s not out on a mission, right?”

“She’s meeting up with Ilista and a few others from what she said. I didn’t sense anything was wrong in her message.”

“Right. Okay. So, bed?”

The gentle smile. The silver gaze that holds his so perfectly without feeling intrusive. Zye shifts nervously under that sweet stare. The worry is beaten back by the fact that Jace didn’t react poorly when he said it.

“It’d be the better idea. I don’t know what side effects you’ll have from sending Hax on. Hopefully, none.”

“Less of a headache would be one. He’s not as chatty now.”

Jace laughs and holds out the folded clothes in his arms. “I don’t doubt that. Do you want your clothes or something else?”

“Uh, I’d rather get this polish off. It’s chipping and driving me crazy.”

Zye snatches the clothes and begins to hurry for the draperies. Jace watches him go with a soft sigh. He glances about the room as he follows after Zye. He’ll admit the room isn’t inviting or homey. Perhaps changing it will help cement that things are changing.

He finds Zye sitting on the floor with a clear bottle in front of criss-crossed legs. Next to it look to be small clouds for the lack of a better word. Jace is unsure as he sits across from Zye.

“What are you doing?”

“Like I said, getting the paint off.”

“What are they?”

“Cotton balls. You put this on them,” he says while giving a nudge to the bottle, “and you can take the polish off.”

“I’m sure the Mark could do it for you.”

“I’d rather do it myself.”

Zye sets the clothes in his lap and reaches for the bottle. Except Jace catches hold of it first. He grabs for a small swab next. A second later he has the cap off and the material absorbing a small amount of the liquid.

His free hand reaches out for Zye. “Do I need to do anything special?”

“N-no. Just, uh, rub it? Back and forth or circles until it comes off.”

Jace wiggles his fingers and finally, Zye gives in. He moves everything to the side and scoots closer. Knees touching, Zye places his hand in Jace’s. Slowly, Jace begins to work on each nail.

Zye watches and waits patiently. Each time Jace moves to the next finger, he’s enamored. The touch is light and secure. Even the way Jace rubs the cotton over his nails is gentle. To the point where Zye is surprised he’s getting any of the polish off at all.

Bowing his head, he smiles and gives Jace his other hand. A silent and warm process that has his shoulders slouching and his posture relaxing. Zye’s nearly sad when it has to come to an end. Jace sets all the used pieces aside and replaces the cap on the bottle.

“Is there anything else?”

“Nah,” Zye murmurs softly before reaching over and dips his hands into the water.

What he doesn’t expect is for the Mark to be shimmering back out of existence and Jace grabbing for his hands once more. This time with a towel draped over his own. Zye chuckles as Jace begins to dry his hands for him.

“You’re spoiling me.”

“I’m showing you that I care. I like doing things for you.”

“Oh, so that’s why you didn’t mind doting on me while I didn’t feel good.”

“No…well…maybe a little. I was more worried then than anything. It was scary to see you…”

“Dying?”

“Yes.”

Zye exhales as Jace rubs the towel between two of his fingers. It’s not necessary. They’re dry already. And yet when the towel falls away, Jace clasps one of his hands with Zye’s. His fingers slot between Zye’s so perfectly— large, warm, rough.

The temptation is uncanny.

Biting his lip, Zye pulls away and stands up. He turns his back to Jace in a hurry. Anything to give himself a chance to breathe coupled with needing to change. Zye can feel the eyes on him as he does.

Shirt and pants gone, they’re to be replaced by the pair of sweatpants he had gotten last time. By the time he’s turning around, he expects Jace to have gotten closer. Yet the man remains where he stands, waiting patiently.

Zye closes the distance between them. The second he does, Jace’s arms are around his waist. He’s yanked closer so that he can drape his arms over Jace’s shoulders.

“Ready for this part to be over?”

“I am. It means we can do this more often.”

Jace leans in only to miss his mark. The kiss brushes over Zye’s cheek instead. The raised eyebrow he gives Zye has the man chuckling, albeit a little nervously.

“Sorry. How ‘bout we skip tonight?”

“If it’s about earlier—”

“It’s not. I…so…I know he doesn’t purposefully try to but I’d rather not. Hax can kind see and hear things if he tries.”

“Oh…that changes things.”

The tinge of red around yellow tattoos has Zye leaning his forehead against Jace’s “It’s fine. I swear I don’t think he saw anything.”

“I suppose if he did, it’s his fault. Sleep, then. Come on.”

Jace pulls away and lets the towel hit the ground. As they make it past the curtains, the Mark is appears to clean up their mess. Zye lingers a bit behind Jace. He settles for letting Jace climb onto the bed first and get comfortable.

Once he has, Zye slips in under the sheet behind him. He glues himself up against Jace’s back and wraps an arm over Jace’s waist. The sheer amount of heat he puts off has Zye snuggling closer with eyes drifting shut.

________________________

The room is dark with a soft glow from the light above. It gives enough to be able to make out objects in the room and where things are. Looking around as he sits up, Zye slowly peels away from Jace’s side.

His feet hit the floor as he bends over the bed, tugging the cover over Jace’s shoulder. A moment of hesitation is all there is before he turns, making for the door. Silently, he slips out of the room and down the hall to his room.

It opens easily enough. Stepping into the room has the light flaring to life halfway. Not quite all the way on to hurt one’s eyes upon waking. Enough to give a comfortable setting so that it’s not dark or bright.

Zye walks over while letting the door swing shut less graciously than Jace’s had. The slight clatter of it clicking shut has Kerse startling awake.

She immediately rolls over and shoves away the pillow she had been holding in her sleep. The cover is kicked off as she sits up, glaring at the intrusion that woke her. Until the confusion hits.

“The hell? What do you want? I know it isn’t time yet.”

“No, you’re right. It’s not. I still have something left to do.”

Kerse stares hard at him. The manner in which he speaks is different and it catches her off guard. The voice is the same. The person is the same. And yet something is wrong. She rubs her eyes as he comes closer, placing a single knee on the bed.

She backs up once the bed begins to dip, drawing her toward him. “What’s going on? Where is Zye and who the hell are you? I will kick your…his…ass!”

“I’ve only done this once and it wasn’t for very long. You have to calm down. I don’t have much time, Keke.”

It only takes a breath for it to click. If she had a heartbeat, it’d stop. Her mouth is suddenly dry and her lips hurt to touch together.

“Ha…Hax?”

“I’m sorry, Keke. I shouldn’t bother. I shouldn’t make you go through this and let you go forward without looking back. But…as selfish as it may be, I wanted to see you one last time. I have so much to say…not enough time anymore.”

Kerse surges forward. She grabs Zye’s shoulder and keeps him close. “Then talk fast. Hurry.”

A soft trill of laughter leaves him as he shakes his head. A laugh that doesn’t sound right coming out of this new friend of hers.

“Alright. Listen carefully, won’t you?”

She nods so fast and hard that it should give her a crick in the neck. Or a headache.

“No one blames you for what happened to Charmilla and she wouldn’t either. She’d be happy you’re okay now and proud that you’ll help move things forward now.”

“I—”

“Please don’t give up. Stay with these people. They’re good, believe me on this one. You’ll learn a lot and be loved the way you deserve.”

“No, I…why?”

‘Zye’ glances to the side with another sigh. He reaches up, placing his hand atop the one that grips hard at his shoulder. The distant, foggy look in his eyes is steadily growing clearer and he knows he’s fading. Far faster than he’d like.

“I was too selfish to see you were suffering as well. I prioritized myself and let you get hurt. I know how close you were to Haru and I still didn’t reach out. We all pulled away from each other and it was the wrong move.”

She can’t handle it— she doesn’t want to hear anything he has to say. All these words lead to the same end. She tries to pull away, anything to make it stop.

Except she doesn’t get very far.

Zye’s hands cup at her face, holding her still. Her flushed cheeks are hot compared to the cool touch of his skin. A fact that has her tears overflowing despite her effort to hold them back. They spill down her cheeks and run along his thumbs.

There are so many words he wants to say— so many emotions he wants to give life to. Yet, he knows he doesn’t deserve that freedom. Not with what he’s done and not with what he’s leaving her with.

Even now, it feels as though he’s only giving himself solace for what’s happened. The heat of her tears on his fingers does little to comfort him. It does nothing to convince him that this small moment will give her any closure.

A soft smile touches his lips as he leans forward, pressing his forehead to hers.

Like he used to do when she’d get upset.

It breaks her heart and she dares to want to crumble. For a moment, she can close her eyes and pretend it really is him there.

“I’m so, so sorry Keke. Please…be happy. You deserve more than I can give you now— more than I ever could. Don’t stop trying. Take all we couldn’t do and learn from it.”

“Please don’t—” a sob chokes her words back down, holding them hostage.

“Live not how we did, but as Haru would. Free. Enjoy your life and remember, I’ll always love you, Kerse.”

Kerse knocks his hands away and surges forward. Her arms wrap around his chest and hold him tight. Burying her face into the crook of his neck, she lets her tears dampen his skin. The sobs are loud as she clings to him, her nails making crescent dents into his back.

Out of energy, Zye is allowed control of his body once more. He’s left sitting in her hold with his own chest tight and unsure about what just happened.

He heard it all. Saw it right before his eyes when he knows he shouldn’t have been allowed to intrude on such an intimate scene. Most of all, his heart breaks for the woman that’s left shattered in his arms.

Zye hugs his arms around her and holds her in return. It’s all he can do. Cling to her just as tightly as she does him and let her get it all out. He’s sure she knows it’s not Hax anymore and yet she doesn’t let go

She remains where she is until the noises slowly simmer down into whimpers and sniffles. It’s only when the full heat of the man in front of her returns that she pulls back with a subtle shove to his chest.

Wiping at her eyes, she frantically tries to make them stop completely. Zye goes to reach for her when he stops, returning his hands to his sides. He brings his other leg up onto the bed and sits back on them.

“I really am sorry.”

Kerse drags the heel of her hand over her eye, rubbing at it. “I…he…he’s so mean.”

“A real jerk, right?”

“Yes! How could he do this? Charm and I needed him! I know she wasn’t easy to talk to. I know I didn’t try enough but…this…this…this is all my fault.”

Zye shoves a hand down onto the bed with such force that she looks up at him. “It’s not all your fault. They’re responsible for their actions, no different than you. And you’ll still beat yourself up. But you’ll move past it because you’re strong and we all have your back now.”

Kerse shakes her head and rubs at her face once more, hiding the slight smile on her countenance. “Gross, really gross. Like how you’re crying, too.”

“Am not!” Zye quickly swipes away any hint of himself tearing up. “And even if I was, it’s natural and nothing to be ashamed of. Besides, you did too.”

“No one will believe you.”

“Fine, 'cause I ain’t telling anyone anyway.” Zye sighs and lifts his hand, dragging his hand up through his hair to push it back. “It’s the truth even if it’s cheesy. If you need anything or someone or somewhere, you’re welcome here.”

“Wouldn’t I be intruding?”

“Nah, it’s fine. Once we connect Solis and Noctis we’ll have plenty of visitors.”

Kerse’s eyes slowly widen. The slight surprise on her face is obvious. “You’re…connecting them? Orion is allowing that?”

“Yeah. Actually, there’s someone you should meet. A girl Hax was taking care of.”

“No. I’m fine.”

“Well, to be fair, you’re probably going to meet her anyway. Better to get it over with and say hi to everyone.”

“Maybe.”

Zye watches her steadily calm down. Never once did he think this would happen. He figured she’d hate him and never want to talk to him considering he’s taken Hax’s place.

“You know, I didn’t think you’d be a talker.”

Kerse raises an eyebrow. “You’re exactly what I thought you’d be.”

“The hell—”

“Training. I’ll teach you.”

“Wh…at?”

“It used to be my job and you could use it.”

Faced with the fact that he’ll have help from someone that has to be more intimidating than Ilista, is horrifying. There’s no way he’ll last long unless she pulls every punch.

“I guess…sure.”

“Whenever you’re free, call for me,” she states while holding out her hand.

Zye can only assume what she means. Clasping his hand to hers, he does as he has with everyone else. Forming a link with her is as trying as usual. It takes a moment before he’s sure it happens.

Like a lock clicking into place.

Not that she lets go of his hand.

“And if you avoid me, I’ll come find you.”

“Why? It’s no big deal. I’m doing fine so far.”

The grip tightens to the point where he’s sure she’ll crack the bones in his hand. Zye immediately tries to yank away— except he can’t.

“Ow, ow, ow! Shit that hurts, let go already!”

Kerse gives no warning or sign of what she’s planning. It’s fast to where Zye can’t react in time. She twists his hand and when he flinches again, she’s quick to turn him around. The blankets catch around his knees as bends his arm behind his back.

Slipping because of her movements, Zye pinches his eyes shut as he falls forward. Just shy of the edge of the bed, he groans when she tightens the grip on his arm. All so she can sit on the back of his thighs with a triumphant smirk.

“Weak little kitten.”

Zye shifts so that his cheek presses to the blankets instead of his face. “Fuck you, that hurts! Let go!”

“Hax would have never given me the chance to do this. Charm would have done it to me first. You need training.”

“Fine! You win, Keke!”

Kerse releases her grip and slips off of him. He doesn’t move right away. It’s a slow shift that has him rubbing his shoulder once he’s sitting up beside her. He glares at her while trying to ease the pain away.

“Dammit, was that necessary?”

“I was proving a point.”

Zye groans, “How about I let Ilista spar with you instead?”

“Who?”

“The woman with blue hair and the spear-looking thing.”

“Ah. Vaguely remember her. She’s strong despite not having a lot of bulk.”

Scooting further back on the bed, Zye leans against the wall seeing as there’s a lack of a headboard. “Not everyone can be ripped like you and Jace.”

“So…what did you see?”

He waits for her to turn around, tucking her legs beneath her as she does.

“A buncha Hax’s memories.”

“That’s weird.”

“Maybe, not as bad as Orion getting a good look through all of mine.”

“He did what?”

“Oh…right. You wouldn’t know anything that’s happened.”

“Then tell me.”

Zye reaches for one of the pillows, holding it in his lap. Telling it all again isn’t necessarily the problem. The fact that Kerse wants to hear it is a bit strange to him. Considering she’s been a lot of hit first ask second. He always assumed Hax would be the chatty one of the three of them.

“Like a bedtime story then, get comfortable.”

“A what?”

“It helps kids go to sleep if you read them a story.”

“Then go ahead and try it,” she replies while grabbing more pillows and the blanket.

________________________

The following morning finds Jace leaving his room in search of Zye. Dressed in his usual attire, he adjusts his grip on the clothes in his arms before moving forward. He did find it strange to wake up alone. The fact that Zye replied immediately to his message ceased any worry soon enough.

Jace tries the handle to Zye’s room and the second time he does, it opens. He slips inside and can’t help but think the sight is cute. Never has he seen Kerse at her most vulnerable— asleep.

Zye sits awake in bed with Kerse beside him, slightly further down, with her forehead pressed against his leg. She clings to the pillow she keeps clutched to her chest. Jace smiles at them both.

“Everything alright?”

“We were talking.” Zye reaches down and pokes at the center of Kerse’s head. “Keke, wake up.”

She rouses enough to notice Jace walking toward the bed. A glare settles onto her countenance. “What?”

“We need to get going. Celeste and Orion are ready for us.”

Zye looks down at the same time she lifts her gaze to meet his. “Coming with?”

“No.”

“We could tell everyone you stepped down so that you don’t have to explain yourself to anyone,” offers Jace.

“Wasn’t going to anyway.”

Zye slips away from her and off the bed. He strides over to Jace and takes the clothes handed to him. As he goes to get changed, Jace sets another set of clothes on the edge of the bed.

“I got them as close as I could from your old ones.”

“It’s fine. I’ll get out of here and go to my room.”

“I’m sure he told you you’re always welcome.”

Kerse finally sits up with a roll of her eyes. “Uh-huh. And you, you don’t hate me?”

“Frustrated about it all, yes. I can’t hate you for something that happened between you and Charm. That was her decision to handle it. If anything…I’m mad at her sometimes.”

“Hm…thanks for the clothes.”

“If you feel bad, we can always spare later.”

At that, Kerse seems to perk up. Her shoulders straighten a bit more and she takes the clothes while sliding to the edge of the bed. “I’m holding you to that.”

Her back to him, he feels a bit more confident to push a bit.

“I know you’re hurting worse than I am about it. Should you need someone to talk to, Callua and I are here. We’ve all butted heads with Charm in the past.”

Kerse scoffs, a noise that turns into a short chuckle. “I don’t doubt that.” She glances over her shoulder with a grin. “Bet she didn’t take too kindly to you hooking up with a mortal.”

“How—”

“I let him talk all night long.”

“Glad you’re all caught up.”

The words barely leave his mouth before she’s lifts her shirt over her head. Jace spins around with a shake of his head. Anything to give her some amount of privacy whether she wants it or not.

Zye, on the other hand, walks back out to see it. He immediately spins away at the sight of her shimming out of her shorts. The shortly cropped hipsters do little to hide her more private area.

“Do you have no shame? You shouldn’t strip in front of people you barely know.”

Kerse steps into her shorts and then the skirt over it. “I know Jace and after last night, I know plenty about you.”

“Brat…Hurry up.”

“Not like you haven’t seen skin before.”

“I don’t want to see your skin.”

“It’s all the same as yours?” Kerse tugs the shirt on and begins buttoning it up. “I’m done.”

Jace starts for the door first. Kerse is quick to tag along after him with Zye beside her. He scoops up her coat and holds it out once she’s done with her shirt. Out of the room, Kerse lingers in the doorway behind him.

Zye stops when he realizes she’s not walking. “Need a minute? We can wait.”

Kerse shuts the door a bit harsher than he expects. It has him flinching as much as when she punches him in the arm. Kerse walks past him and even begins to pass Jace.

“No. Get moving. You have a lot of work to do.”

Huffing, he rolls his shoulders and follows them down the stairs. Halfway down, he sees Callua off to the side with Celeste. The hushed chatter he passes by to catch Orion standing before the mirror, waiting for them. He turns once Zye gets closer.

“Are you ready, Zye?”

“I guess. Anything special I need to do?”

“We’ll see. For now, place your hand on the mirror, focus on him, and stay calm. Whatever happens, let it. Unless it feels wrong, then let us know. I’ll be right here.”

It’s comforting if nothing else. What isn’t is that he can feel the eyes. Something he’ll never get used to. Not that he blames them. Having this many high-ranking people in one place is gossip worthy.

Zye places his hand on the surface and for a moment he feels like a fool. It’s no different than a normal mirror. It’s not until there’s a bit of warmth beneath his palm that he feels it— like dipping his feet into warm, wet sand.

The surface ripples and he closes his eyes, focusing on Hax. As he does, he can hear a whisper in his mind.

Good luck.”

Eyes closed, he doesn’t see how the dark, clear surface shudders with color. A deep dark red steadily changes into a bright, blinding yellow. There’s a sting to his fingertips as it does that has him pulling away.

When he does, he swears he can see Hax’s back in the fading colors.

Jace stands behind him and places his hand on Zye’s shoulder. “I put out the notice already. Everyone is aware of what we’re about to do.”

Orion begins to call forth a portal that Celeste joins him at. “We’ll see you on the other side.”

Zye spins to face him, “Wait, you didn’t tell me what to do about that.”

“A hallway. Simple and easy.”

“Boring.”

Jace smiles at the rather deadpan expression Orion gives them before leaving. Once they have, he waits for the message. Upon receiving it, Jace places his hand on the wet glassy surface with Zye following suit.

A moment later, there’s a soft rumble and a glow between the mirror and the wall closest to the stairs. All of the Dark Stars shield their eyes until it begins to fade away.

Zye is the first to walk away from the mirror the second Jace pulls his hand off. He’s amazed that it was that quick. He hurries around Jace’s side and stares down the long corridor of vibrant color.

The floor is a slick tile of Solis that fades into the colors of Noctis. The walls do the same; mimicking the transition of a sunrise to a sunset and finally to nightfall. To Zye, it’s stunning. As if the walls themselves are alive.

He doesn’t realize the gravity of this decision and how the nervous chatter behind him grows because of it. Jace strides over while speaking to those in the room.

“As detailed in the notice, feel free to pass between the realms as you please. Joint training and field missions will begin again.”

The voices surge until Zye steps foot into the hallway. It goes dead silent as they all watch. Zye, however, pays them no mind. With Jace waiting behind, he begins heading to Noctis. It’s not but a few feet in when he can see the others at the opposite end.

And at the front is the one he breaks into a jog for. Callua follows behind while he skids to a stop in front of Xerxes. Everyone is there, even Vespera. Still, it’s Xerxes he locks eyes with. The man tugs his mask down to reveal a smile.

“Welcome back. Would it be okay if I—”

“Yeah, go for it. I’m glad you’re okay.”

Xerxes steps forward and wraps his arms around Zye’s middle. Hugging him tight, Zye happily returns the feeling. Next to them, Ilista giggles.

“You’d have been impressed. Aster got his hands full and Xerxes took the last orders he gave and delegated like he’s been doing this for years.”

A whine slips from Xerxes as he shoves away from Zye, remembering there are other people here. He tugs the mask back up over his nose. “It was no different than the games we played…that’s all…”

Zye grins and plops a hand atop Xerxes’s head. “He was great at strategy games. Played chess once and he had my ass beat in no time.”

“Because you didn’t know how to play!”

“Sure. But you taught me how and that’s even better.”

Despite the furrowed brows, the delighted sparkle remains in those blue eyes. It’s relieving for Zye to see. Xerxes really has come into his own and grown up. He doesn’t need Zye to push him along anymore.

He’s not allowed to linger on any of those thoughts. Not with Vespera tugging at his sleeve. He allows her to pull him to the side and out of the way of the corridor. There are already Dark Stars coming down it while Stars filter up from the lower floor.

“You’re always in the way,” she remarks quietly.

“Then watch my back better.”

“You’re impossible.”

“What, didn’t miss me?”

Ilista places her hands on her hips, leaning forward as she catches their attention despite the slight distance. “She missed you more than she’ll admit. Stayed with Iris until Celeste got back with good news.”

Ilista.”

“Vespera.”

“Why did I even come to this…” mutters Vespera, finally letting go of Zye’s sleeve.

Zye glances between them before looking down at her. “Actually, I wanted to ask if we could do missions together now that these places are connected. So keep your ears open. Mind? Whatever, you know what I mean.”

Vespera cuts her eyes away. She turns completely right after. “Aster, I’m leaving and I’ll be back with what you asked for.”

Storming off with a blush across her freckled cheeks, Callua strides over to take her place. She elbows Zye in the side enough to make him wince.

“Damn, not so hard.”

“Don’t go making plans with others when you’re going to be busy.”

“What?”

Callua grabs his arm, tugging him down to her level so that she can whisper into his ear. “Your date.”

Today?”

"Since I’m the best wingman you can ask for, yes. Go make your room, enjoy the day, and if anything goes sideways you know how to find me.”

“I…okay.”

Callua smiles and lets him go, her voice returning to a normal level. “I’ll be with Aster and Xerxes.”

Hearing his name, Xerxes nods as he and Ilista walk over. “We’re going to play a game. Callua said she’d teach us.”

Zye looks past Xerxes. “Oh God. Ilista, go with them.”

“I’ll be busy, but I’ll try and pop in.”

He glances between them and for a moment, there is a small bout of bittersweet. There’s the fact that he’s beyond happy that they’re all getting along. Especially since Callua has joined the fold so smoothly.

Memories of simple times can be poison at times, daring to ruin the good of what he has now.

Zye takes a step back only to find Celeste at his side. He nearly jumps out of his skin at the sight of the gentle smile and fingers tapping at his arm.

“We’ve been informed you both will be out. Is it alright if we go see Kerse?”

“Uh…that’s up to you and her.”

From around Celeste, Orion appears. Zye hadn’t noticed he’d moved either. “I told you it wouldn’t be a problem.”

“I wasn’t aware if they were letting her stay in one of their rooms. But either way, I’m going to invite her to come train with me.”

Orion’s eyes visibly widen. “Celeste, wait—”

“And you’re coming with me. Like old times.”

Celeste seizes hold of Orion’s wrist. He’s not allowed a chance to say no before they’re dragging Orion away. They’re a bit faster down the corridor. The one that Zye slowly turns to and begins down.

Zye is surprised by how just this little has turned things around. The air feels lighter and everyone seems a bit…happier. If not just more at ease. While everyone else might be, it does have trickles of unease appearing in his mind.

Happiness is never the only emotion at his fingertips. It doesn’t help that the more he gains, the more there is to lose. A constant reminder with Soren still on the loose whether he’s active right now or not.

He scoffs at himself. He can see why the two of them think he needs a nice night where there’s not a thought of that.

At the end of the corridor, to the side of the entrance, is Orion. He’s waiting there with arms crossed. Once he sees Zye, he looks up at him.

“We’ll discuss the other faculties we can create after we all have a day to relax.”

“Wait, what?”

“Celeste and I think it’d be a good idea to expand. I’ve run it past The Divine and they’re fine with it. We do manage a lot of souls and worlds. It’d also make it easier for those with different skills to be more at ease. Not everyone should be forced to fight.”

“Thanks. I’m glad the idea helped.”

“Ahem, you’re welcome. Now go. If Kerse sees you, she might try to rope you into this as well.”

Zye gives a short wave before hurrying over to where Jace is by the stairs. He can only assume Callua informed Jace that he’d be coming this way soon. However, it’s the soft smile on Jace’s face that’s able to dash away most, if not all, the negative thoughts.

“I have all the information and she showed me where to go.”

Zye rubs at the back of his neck. “We don’t have to. I mean we can just…chill?”

“She did go to a lot of trouble for this.”

“Fine. Let me do my room and I’m ready to go. Wait, no, should I wear something else? Are we going somewhere casual or fancy? God, I don’t want to get looks.”

“Casual, what we have is fine. It’s her world apparently. She said it’s not very close to your world in advancement but that it was still…modern?”

“Huh, okay. I’ll do this and we can go. Are you sure we don’t need a guide?”

“I’ve been there before, we’ll be fine.”

Zye glances over his shoulder before placing his hand on the mirror. “Really? She doesn’t talk about her life…well…to me I guess.”

“I don’t know much either. Visiting doesn’t mean she talked. She went back for the comfort and Charm would usually go with her.”

“I had no idea. Was Callua her favorite or something?”

Jace laughs, “I would say so. Callua could have gotten away with murder. I told her I was with you and I thought she’d nail my feet to the floor.”

“Still respected her, I’m sure,” he replies while trying to focus on the mirror beneath his palm.

“Not unlike having a mother again.”

“Well stand there and look handsome while I figure this out.”

“Picture what you want. The room will mold itself close enough and fill in the gaps you leave.”

“Magic sure is convenient.”

Jace stands to the side, watching as Zye focuses. He’s terribly curious about what it’ll look like. It could lean more towards what he’s used to seeing around here. Or it’ll be like what Zye had back in his world. Push the limits of what he can have.

At the same time. He can’t lie. He’s incredibly pleased that they have this chance to step away from things. Rubbing a finger along the side of his jaw, he can’t look away from Zye’s hips.

The desire to place his hands on them is something he pushes down. Especially with how many people are filtering in and out of the main area. If anything, he’s surprised by how frequently these thoughts have become.

Even when he was alive they were never this…prevalent. He loved his past partner, yes, but it wasn’t like this. The man was his childhood friend. Being bonded together was expected at that point. Zye, however, is different in every way.

In such a wonderful sense.

Zye turns around and jabs a thumb over his shoulder with a smile. “Done, ready to go?”

“I would love to.”

Jace opens a portal, steps to the side, and waits. He intends to let Zye go through first. Prying eyes be damned, Zye snatches up Jace’s hand and tugs him through alongside him.

0