Chapter 2
66 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days are a mindless droning that Zye is glad to have gone. The constant work is only so he can be comfortable taking those days off for tomorrow onward. Not to say he isn’t happy that he’s free right now. He’s ecstatic.

He’s just gotten his bangs styled up and out of his face when he hears the door shut. A smile crosses his lips as he straightens the t-shirt before walking out of his room. “Callua?” he calls out, wanting to make sure it’s her that’s on time for once.

“Yeah! In the kitchen!”

Rolling his eyes, he makes his way there. Zye isn’t the least bit surprised to see the bags she’s sat on the counter. There’s an assortment of fruits, healthy drinks, and even pastries. All of which has him heaving a sigh. He crosses his arms over his chest. “I’m not going to be ill, it’ll be fine.”

She waves him off. “Mhm, I hear you. I’d just rather you have some things quick and easy. We both know it could knock you on your ass again.”

“Last time was different.”

Callua shuts the fridge and turns around. Her hands settle on her hips donning a pair of light-colored jean shorts. “How so?”

Zye can’t answer her. Instead, he turns away and begins for the living room to gather his things. Callua is behind him shortly after. She brushes her hair, held back in a messy braid, over her shoulder. The maroon, v-neck t-shirt bunches as she sheathes her hands into her pockets.

“I can come and drive you there and back tomorrow for your appointment.”

“I’d appreciate it. Better than having Dr. Len yell at me to wait so he can find someone to drive me back.”

Callua comes up behind him with a small smile, poking him in the back. “He’s just looking out for you.”

Zye pockets his phone and grabs his keys, not to mention the helmets. He grunts a response before opening the door. “We’d better go. Fine with riding?”

“Not really but I know you only let me drive when you have to.”

“You can tomorrow, remember?”

Callua laughs as they leave the apartment. It’s a quick walk down the stairs, out the door, and into the parking lot. Once there they get onto the bike after it sputters to life. The drive itself is quick and painless save for the heat beating down on them the entire way. Even at the hospital, they don’t say a word.

He leads her inside once they’re parked and straight up to the front desk. The young lady there smiles. Except she doesn’t wave him through, she calls out to him. “Excuse me, Mr. Rigel? May I have a moment before you head in?”

“Go ahead, you know the way right?” He asks, eyes glancing down at Callua.

She smiles with a pat on his arm. “Sure do. It’ll give us plenty of girl time before you interrupt us.”

Callua doesn’t move until he’s flashed a smile. One that’s quickly replaced by a superficial facade made for everyone else. She makes her way through to where she remembers Lyra’s room is. Of course, what Zye doesn’t know is she comes here often to check up on her. Although lately she’s found that Lyra isn’t in the best condition for visitors other than those on a special list.

Something she happens to be on thanks to Zye.

It’s much like today. When she enters the room she can immediately tell there’s something wrong. Normally the atmosphere is gentle and welcoming. But there’s something here today that has her on edge. Perhaps it has most to do with the way Lyra weakly turns her head.

“Hello.”

Callua doesn’t say anything until she gets closer. She’s well aware that Lyra’s hearing is one of the more recent senses to start giving out. Far better to be close before she speaks. She sits down on the chair next to the bed and reaches out. Her hand covers on top of Lyra’s.

“Hey there, how are you feeling today?”

“Oh, he really did let you know. I’m glad you came by. Is he with you?”

“He’s busy with something, probably the doctor.”

Lyra lets out a long sigh. “Ah…good. Then can I be honest with you, Callua?”

She gets a little closer and squeezes back at the fingers clinging to hers. “Always. What’s wrong?”

It takes her a moment to swallow past the lump in her throat. The words are hard to form from thoughts she hasn’t even told Zye. After a few moments, she pinches her eyes shut. “I don’t think this new trial is going to work. I know my body.” She squeezes at Callua’s hand again. “It’s not that I’m giving up. I just…feel very tired.”

Callua is glad, for once, that Lyra can’t see her. It makes it easier to glance about the room in search of this presence, of this beloved that’s been lost to her for so long now. Finding nothing, she places her other hand on Lyra’s. She cups her long fingers around Lyra’s trembling ones.

“I understand.”

“So, you won’t mind me asking you a favor then?”

“Of course not. If I can do anything to put you at ease just say the word.”

“You’ll look after him in my stead won’t you?”

She begins to pull her hands from Callua’s. It’s something that Callua notices Zye doing a lot. When they’re upset they try to recoil away, anything to keep from letting themselves break even a little.

Lyra continues as she smooths her hands out over the blanket draped across her. “I know he’s working himself too hard. It’s been far too long since I’ve even heard from Shae, so I’ll ask it of you. I know it’s not fair to put that on you.”

“It’s fair. After all, that’s my friend. I won’t just leave him when he needs me.”

“Thank you, dear. I’m so glad he’s met you.”

Neither notice that the door is opening until Zye has stepped into the room. His hand falls onto Callua’s shoulder while moving past her. He bends at the waist over Lyra. A kiss to the forehead and fingers that smooth back some hair. “Sorry I can’t stay, Mom. I hope you don’t mind Cal keeping you company today.”

“Not at all. What’s going on?”

Zye gives a wave of his hand as he stands straight. “Nothing really. Dr. Len is going to take me today since he won’t be here tomorrow. Emergency something or other.”

He’s already turning and walking back to the door. But Callua catches the expression on Lyra’s face. She hates the thought of her child going through the treatments she can barely make it through. It’s spelled out all over body language. Callua can only reach out, grabbing onto Lyra’s hand all over again.

She glances over her shoulder at Zye. “Take your time. Message me when you’re done and I’ll take you home.”

The door shutting is the only reply needed. The remainder of the visit goes smoothly for Callua. Although, it does end abruptly when she gets a message from Zye. It happens to be around the same time some nurses should come to check on her. At least, that’s what Lyra says. Not that Callua minds. She’d rather Lyra get all the rest she can.

Upon standing, Callua glances throughout the room once more. Despite the light, there’s a dark spot off in the corner. It seemingly catches her eye for a moment. It doesn’t move and there’s no light that pierces this mist that hovers there near the ceiling. She makes a mental note of it— she’ll need to return soon.

Outside of the room is Zye. He’s leaning against the wall with a hand up to his face. Callua steps out and shuts the door. She brushes her hand over his arm, guiding him to move. It’s obvious that it didn’t go as smoothly as he thought it would. The bandage wrapping around his upper arm and wrist proves that.

“How have you been feeling?” She finally asks once they make the first corner away from Lyra’s room.

“Fine, I guess. All my senses seem to still be working for the most part. The pain hasn’t been too bad, either.”

Callua raises an eyebrow at him. “You always say that. I asked how you’re really feeling.”

Stepping out into the heat has Zye huffing. He retraces their steps to his bike. There’s no sense in lying or skirting around the question. Not with Callua. He’s let her in too far into his life to push back now. “I’m losing some taste. As long as I remember to take my meds, the pain is fine.”

He tosses the key to Callua. It’s a simple little square with a chip inside of it. So small and hanging off a keyring. Thankfully she recalls that she just has to swipe it over the console to have it light up.

“And you’re sure you don’t need me to pick up anything else for you?”

“Just take me home.”

She smiles back at him and climbs onto the motorcycle. A moment later and he’s behind her, only after she’s gotten settled. Callua can only imagine what it must feel like to go through this. Especially when he seemed so full of energy when they got here. Now he’s just…exhausted.

Everything about his mood and posture has shifted. It’s easy to tell when he slumps up against her. Not enough to put too much pressure on her, just enough to have someone to lean on. One arm winds around her waist while the other reaches forward, holding onto the front lip of where the seat meets the console.

His forehead hits her shoulder as he sighs, “Just go slow. You don’t have to hurry.”

For the ride home, he has to close his eyes. The nausea is already beginning to set in while his arm is throbbing. If he could rip it off and reattach it later when it stops, he would. But for now, he’s just glad he has Callua to take him back. She’s a cautious and slow driver, unsure of where to go from time to time at that.

It takes longer to return to where the sun should begin its descent soon. A day wasted as far as Zye is concerned. Especially when standing up straight and trying to walk is a hurdle. Regardless, he doesn’t dare think of asking her for help when she grabs her phone.

Callua slips off the bike. Her eyes cut off to the side before rising to lock onto his. “Zye?”

“Hm?”

“You really need to be careful about Daichi. He’s not sweet and can be…possessive. Manipulative, even. He’s not a harmless idiot with a crush.” She gestures toward him. “To him, you’re just a trophy to put on his shelf.”

“I know.” Two words that tumble from his lips with ease and surprise her. She hadn’t expected him to admit it. “But I can take care of myself. Besides, I was thinking of quitting. Maybe go back to my old job since this isn’t going to get any easier.”

A smile touches her lips. One that has warmth flooding his chest just to see. To Callua, he knows he matters.

“I just have to be careful. Daichi calls the shots and I can’t lose my job before then. So try not to worry.”

Normally she’d reach out and give him a playful pat. Not today. Today she holds back. “Good. I’ll worry anyway. But good.”

The phone seems to go off again from how she glances down at it.

Zye has never seen her grab for it while they’re together unless it’s important and she has to leave. This is why he tries to crack a smile when she looks at him. There’s worry swirling in those tangerine-colored eyes of hers. “Go, I’ll be fine. Straight to bed in fact.”

“You’d better or next time we go out you’re buying.”

Callua tosses him his keyring back and swiftly turns. From the way she hurries, he can only imagine who it could be. After all, she doesn’t talk much about her work. Just that she’s with those that have some business relation to Soren and Daichi. He knows she’d never have anything to do with either of them otherwise.

She’s too kind to be around them.

Zye twirls the ring around one of his fingers as he makes the trek back up to his apartment. There’s no one in the stairwell at this hour and for that he’s grateful. Rather, there’s one person that’s up and moving around. It’s hard to miss Xerxes standing beside his door with his small frame huddled up inside a jacket.

How he stands it in this weather he’ll never know.

“I didn’t keep you waiting did I?”

Xerxes’s head lifts and immediately there’s a smile before he diverts his gaze. Five years ago Zye would have never thought the kid would show him any emotion. Now he can’t seem to escape the kid. Of course, he knows by the end of this school year that Xerxes should be going off into the world. He’ll be gone as quickly as he came.

Shaking his head, Xerxes mumbles a soft ‘no’ while Zye opens the door. He catches the sight of the bag slung over Xerxes’s shoulder when he lets him in. Zye curses his memory, luck, and everything in between.

The cool air hits him like a ton of bricks as he locks the door up behind them. “I know I said I’d help you study, but I don’t know how much help I’ll be today.”

Xerxes’s mood dampens considerably at that. “It’s…okay. I don’t mind.”

He stops partway to the couch only for Zye to drop a hand onto his head, ruffling his hair. “Hey, that doesn’t mean leave. I’ll order us something to eat. You can stay here till Aisa gets back, okay?”

“Okay.”

The teen moves straight for the couch. He leaves his bag on the floor and slips the jacket off his arms. In an instant, he’s right at home without batting an eye. Not that Zye minds. It helps to have someone in the apartment with him from time to time. It helps keep the memories pushed away and the emotions at bay.

Zye collapses onto the couch next to him. He flicks his phone out and begins to swipe a finger across the screen the second it appears. “So, how’s school?”

Xerxes leans in a little closer, peering around Zye’s shoulder to see what they might have to eat tonight. “Fine…I guess. There are these guys. I’ve missed the bus a few times because of them.”

“Huh…” Zye hands Xerxes the phone, their usual tell for the boy to choose where they order from. “They’re still picking on you because they saw me pick you up last month?”

“I…don’t know…maybe?”

“If you just bad mouth me they’d leave you alone, ya know? Everyone loves to put down a Chroma.”

Xerxes’s head snaps up with an upset expression on his countenance. “I-I can’t do that.” He realizes how his voice raised the second it happens. Dropping his head back down, he flicks his finger over the screen a few times. “Especially not to you.”

“Pff, I get it. You’re a good kid so try not to let them get to you.” Zye wraps an arm around Xerxes’s shoulders. He taps at a drop-down menu and starts selecting a few dishes for them. “I could always show you some self-defense moves. Teach those assholes a lesson.”

“B-But…Zye…!”

Zye laughs at the pale look on Xerxes’s face. “I’m kidding. Well, sort of. You really could do with some tricks in case they try something.”

“Would you really teach me?” he asks while selecting what he wants.

With the order complete, Zye pulls away and begins to tap away to get it sent to them. “If you want, sure.”

“I don’t think I’d be very good at it.”

“You never know. They do always say to watch out for the quiet ones, they’ve got more potential.”

He slides the phone, now off, onto the table with a heavy sigh. Settling back against the cushions is far more inviting than anticipated. He can almost fall asleep right here. Purple-blue eyes watch as Xerxes fumbles for the remote to get them something to play in the background.

Looking at Xerxes has him remembering too many things long since passed. At the cusp of thirty, there’s no way he wants to look back. But that doesn’t mean he’d ever let those jerks get away with bothering Xerxes. He tries to put a mental note to talk to Aisa about it. How she’s letting it happen is beyond him.

“Zye? Zye, are you okay?”

A hand waves in front of his face and snaps him out of his thoughts.

“Ah, sorry. New strain of medicine, gotta get used to it.” The smirk on his face is the only thing he can manage. Anything to keep Xerxes from worrying his little head off. “Why don’t you grab a couple of drinks out of the fridge for us. Callua brought some over earlier.”

The mention of her has Xerxes lighting up. “I haven’t seen her in a while.” He bounds off for the kitchen. “Is she okay?”

“Yeah, just busy. As usual.”

Xerxes grabs them both a separate bottle. As he turns to head back he notices the way Zye curls up onto the couch. Against the arm of it, he props himself up and tucks his legs underneath him. If Xerxes has learned anything, it’s to watch.

“Did they say when it’d get here? The food?”

Zye gives a hum as he watches the screen flash to the next news segment. “Hmm…yeah. Paid and everything. You’re welcome to take home the leftovers, too. Callua will have my head if she knew I was eating this junk again.”

Xerxes lets out a small laugh as he settles back down on the couch. He glances over at Zye then places the drinks on the table. He knows it won’t be long. By the time that there’s a knock on the door, Zye is out cold.

So, Xerxes does as normal. He retrieves the order and puts Zye’s part of it in the fridge. Once he’s managed that he snags a blanket from Zye’s room and covers Zye with it. Xerxes knows nothing will wake him up at this rate and if he does he might not feel well.

The boy stays through eating his dinner, cleaning up after it, and until his phone gives an aggressive trill of beeps. It means his sister is looking for him and he can’t dare keep her waiting. Not when his excuse isn’t school-related.

Just before he leaves, Xerxes tucks the blanket around Zye and makes sure he’s at least somewhat comfortable. It’s all he can manage since there’s no way he can carry him. He places a hand on top of Zye’s head, much like what Zye does to him. It’s just for a moment, one so fleeting it can be missed.

With that, he’s gone and locking up behind himself.


 

The next day Zye spends most of his time in bed or lounging around. It’s only the night following that, that he makes it outside. The small walk to the convenience store and back gives him fresh air and enough social interaction to be satisfied. That and some snacks. It beats laying around replying to messages. Especially when Shae has been more and more talkative.

Unfortunately, it means he goes through the front doors to the complex. Even worse is that the owner, Mr. J, is at the desk sorting through paperwork. The elderly man has short, wisps of white hair beneath a baseball cap. Green eyes look up as he goes to walk by.

“Hey, kiddo.”

“Working late tonight?”

Mr. J waves him over. He begins to shuffle through the papers in front of him. “Guess you could say that. How you been feeling?”

Zye does stop by the desk. He can’t say no to Mr. J, not after all he’s done for his mom. Although, he does wish he didn’t have to right now. His head is killing him and he’d love nothing more than to lay back down. The bag of snacks he carries makes it worthwhile.

“Same as usual. I’ll drop by in the morning to pay if that’s okay. That last paycheck took longer to clear.”

The old man scoffs. “I’m not worried ‘bout ya. Your word has always been fine. However…” He finally seems to find the envelope he’s been looking for. “Ya still friendly with Miss Amun?”

“Same floor, see her around now and then.”

Zye eyes it as Mr. J extends it to him. He can only wonder what Aisa has managed to do this time. He knows she’ll manage and provide for Xerxes. He just wishes she’d ask for help if she really needs it.

“Good, give this to her for me. I don’t wanna have to walk up there and I think she’s been avoiding me.”

“I don’t mind. Is everything okay?”

Relinquishing the letter, Mr. J gives Zye another scoff with his reply. “You know I don’t talk about tenants like that.”

A laugh trills off of Zye’s lips as he steps away from the counter. “But gossiping about me is okay, huh?”

This has Mr. J chuckling and leaning forward with a grin. “Not my fault you’re the talk of the building. Now scurry on before I find something to gossip about with the old ladies.”

Zye waves back at him on his way to the stairs. “Hah, have fun. I bet you’re still a big hit with ‘em!”

“No one likes a smartass!”

Shaking his head, Zye bounds up the stairs with renewed vigor as well as worry. The envelope feels so heavy in his hand compared to his phone and bag in the other. Of which, it lights up and lets out a jingle. He opens it up and swipes out a quick reply to Shae.

Monday. There are better prospects come tomorrow. He just hopes he can go back.

The apartment at the end of his floor is the one where Xerxes dislikes being. Not that he can blame the kid. Going home alone isn’t always the best feeling. Especially when he’s still a kid. He stops just in front of the door and gives a couple of raps of his knuckles against it.

A few seconds pass before it swings wide open. Xerxes is clearly surprised to see Zye here this late. Not that he’ll complain. He bounces on his heels ever-so-slightly. “Come in.”

Against his better judgment, Zye enters the apartment. He should just hand Xerxes the letter and go home. He knows the kid won’t look at it but part of him doesn’t want to be alone tonight either.

“Up for some late-night games?”

Xerxes’s eyes might as well sparkle at the question. He nods and leads Zye back to his room. He makes quick work of the computer on his bed and any books he had open are stacked onto his desk. The television flickers to life as Xerxes starts to get things ready.

Zye pulls the desk chair over to sit in. The letter slips into the bag with candy being pulled out. He watches, patiently, as Xerxes works. It lets him take a brief look around the room. He hasn’t been in here in a while but even then not much has changed.

It’s still plain with gray walls and a faux wooden floor. There are no posters or anything that screams personality. Everything is kept clean and orderly. It makes him wish he was that good at keeping up with ‘chores’.

Xerxes hands him a controller and in return, he’s given a candy bar. Zye opens his, bites off a chunk, and leans back in the chair. The game starts up but the noise doesn’t capture Zye’s attention. He’s busy trying not to think about the throbbing in his head.

“Did you get your studying done?”

“Uh-huh. I figured it out, too.”

“Knew you could do it.”

Zye replies while the clicking and clacking of buttons fill the air. The banter dies away as talk of the stage they’re on picks up. The little old-style, side-scrolling game has their full attention for the next couple of hours.

Eventually, Zye moves to the bed beside Xerxes. They lean back against the wall as they finish off a bag of candy. One particular instance has Xerxes unable to continue and Zye has to complete the level on his own. He doesn’t even realize that Xerxes has begun to slump up against him until he’s beaten it.

“Hell yeah, we did…Heh, guess he was tired.”

He glances over to Xerxes’s desk. The projected numbers on the wall read a quarter after ten. It means he doesn’t have long before Aisa gets home. Considering the headache has only slightly dulled, he’s not up to dealing with her tonight. Better to just leave the letter where she’ll find it and slip out.

So he begins to do just that.

It takes longer than expected to move out from under Xerxes and the arm that had fallen around him. Once he’s lifted Xerxes up and under the blankets, he begins to save and turn the game off. Just before he leaves he thinks about grabbing the bag. It’s that hesitation that has him glancing back over at Xerxes. He grabs the letter and leaves the bag for Xerxes.

The peaceful look on his face has Zye smiling. He can’t believe it’s already been five years. It sends his world spinning only to come to a complete stop. After all, Xerxes hasn’t changed at all. He’s still the kind soul with the soft-spoken voice that declared Zye to have the coolest eyes he’s seen. Pretty and just like the little marble he used to carry.

He’s never been happier to help someone out knowing he got to be friends with Xerxes. Silver linings, he knows he just has to find them. Look hard enough and one will be right there at his feet.

Zye reaches out, brushing hair away from Xerxes’s face. “Silly brat…”

Pulling the door shut, Zye begins his stealthy escape. Or so is the plan. He’s only just made it to the kitchen when he hears the door open. Fingers tense up around the letter— everything tenses up. There’s no getting out of this now.

The door thuds shut.

Heels click over the floor just before an abrupt stop.

Zye turns and catches sight of her surprised but irritated expression. Her lips draw out into a thin line. “What are you doing here? You better not be keeping him from his homework.”

“We both know I’m the one that’s been helping with that.”

She huffs and strides past him. Her purse lands on the counter before she opens the fridge, yanking out a bottle of juice. “Then why are you here? Charity work again?” He’s about to just leave— it’s not worth stirring the pot— when she continues. “You know what? Never mind, I don’t have the energy for this tonight.”

Anger is easy to push down for him. He’s done it his whole life otherwise he’d have been in far more fights than he already was. It’s this uncomfortable feeling that she gives him lately that has him…irritated.

He’s done nothing but try to help them both when he can. She was grateful and said thank you in the beginning. Not that he wanted it, he didn’t care about that. Just wanted to make sure they didn’t have to suffer as he has. It’s hard to be on your own, this he knows better than most.

There’s no privilege. No justification for why or how. Just shit luck with the cards that have been dealt.

Maybe that’s why he can’t help it.

“You didn’t use to mind the charity.”

Brown eyes narrow at him. She sets her juice down and has to busy her hands. They delve up immediately to loosen the tie around her periwinkle hair. The strands fall to her shoulders as she tosses the ribbon onto the counter.

“I appreciate you helping me out. I know I wouldn’t have gotten the apartment if you hadn’t and I told you I’d pay you back for everything you’ve done.”

“And I told you I don’t want you to. It wasn’t a loan, it was a gift.” He holds out the letter and hopes that his hands aren’t trembling when he does. “Mr. J said to give it to you. Is everything okay?”

“Stop. Just stop.” She steps around the counter, moving toward him. “I don’t want your pity or your friendship. I don’t want you around anymore period!”

Her voice, growing louder, has Zye freezing up. The only thing he can do is stare back at her. It’s not like any other confrontation he’s had. People either vanish from his life or try to beat the life out of him. No one has ever formed words out of fear and hate and thrown them back at him.

“You’re giving us something I— we can’t return! There’s a reason no one wants to talk to you and whispers behind your back instead.”

It’s when the anger boils up too far that he can’t help himself. He knows no one should ever say anything out of anger. He tries so hard to hold the curt and mean remarks back. To maybe let her see a little deeper into him. That he’s not just a Chroma.

“I’m just trying to help. I know what—”

“Shut up! I know— I know you know. But I don’t care.” She’s stomping over toward him, gesturing widely back toward Xerxes’s room. “I can handle this. What I can’t handle is that I ever let Xerxes get close to you.”

Zye backs up, continues to until his back is nearing the door. There’s panic welling up in his veins. He wants to run from the situation, doesn’t want to be in it anymore. But she’s still there. Her voice is loud. The emotion is thick in her tone. And it’s making his ears ring and has his heart thudding hard in his chest.

“What am I supposed to do when you’re gone, huh?! Xerxes can’t handle losing anyone else. You know our parents are gone. Our family doesn’t want us. Hasn’t he suffered enough? Why couldn’t you just leave us alone, spare Xerxes the pain?”

The letter drifts down to the floor. Zye reaches back for the handle, trying to open it without looking. “Fine then.”

The tone falls flat. He tries so hard to strip the emotion from it. He doesn’t want her to know just how badly it hurts. Everyone says what they want to people like him anyway.

“But you might want to change your tune before you follow right behind me. Everyone dies eventually. The fuck does it matter how or when anymore?”

Aisa is left staring at the door as he shuts it. Oh does he wish he could slam it, too. Instead, he lets it close with a gentle, petite click of the mechanisms settling in. Once they have and his hand is off the handle, he’s practically sprinting down the hall.

It doesn’t matter to him that his worn-out sneakers slap loudly against the linoleum. He doesn’t care that the jostle of keys ends up with him nearly slamming the door behind him.

All he knows is he’s finally back in his home. A place that’s safe from her but not from the emotions pooling out around him.

Keys hit the ground. His back leans against the door as he slowly slides down it. Knees draw up to his chest and he immediately wraps his arms around them. Shaking fingers claw up through his bangs and into his hair. He grips onto them like a lifeline.

He hates it. Hates that he reacted. Hates that he tried. Hates everything.

And that includes the sob he chokes back as the tears begin to gather.

“Goddammit.”


 

Never has Zye been on time when they’ve met up. Shae is well aware of this. He’s not surprised in the slightest when he gets a text an hour after they’re supposed to meet that he’ll be late. Not that it matters considering he has nothing else planned. He is surprised when Zye looks like death warmed over on his doorstep.

There are bags beneath his eyes that seem red at the corners as if he’s been rubbing at them. To which, he has. Zye didn’t get any sleep with the emotions raging most of the night. Even then the nightmares settled in like water soaking into a dry sponge. To the point where he slept in through going to see Lyra even.

Despite that, he still made himself presentable. Zye gives a small wave of his hand. “Hey, sorry for being late.”

Shae laughs at that and stands to the side. The rasp in Zye’s voice worries him, he knows something must have happened. “Already told you it’s no big deal.”

Zye nods and begins to head inside. If anything it’s only for a shred of privacy. This rundown part of the city isn’t anything special. However, he feels far safer here than he does in the bustling areas of the city.

The apartment is more or less a two-story house. Those above never walk through Shae’s ground floor level and vice versa. They have a separate entrance entirely. Which leaves the open floor plan up to Shae’s design. From what he can see it looks clean and easy to move around in. He can only assume the hallway off to the side leads to the bedroom and bathroom.

Shae gestures him to the couch. Zye takes a seat next to him instead of the recliner, both angled toward a decent-sized screen beyond the coffee table. His eyes sweep through the area as he sits down. It looks no different than the last time he saw it.

Zye relaxes and sighs. “So how is Ruby’s Light doing?”

“Eh, we’re doing fine. Get some assholes in every now and then. Could always use someone like you helping out again.”

“Geez, man. I just got here. Butter me up first.”

Shae turns, bringing one leg up onto the cushion. “I mean you’d get to be around me more, isn’t that a good enough reason?”

“You’re so full of it.”

Zye takes a breath. He knows this isn’t just a pleasure visit. They both do and there’s no sense dancing around the issue until he has to leave. Not that it quells the nervous butterflies fluttering around in his stomach. It’s making him feel sick on top of not having eaten a real meal yet.

“So…I actually do want to. I just don’t know if Boss would take me back. I mean I left pretty sudden and I haven’t kept contact, especially about Mom and—”

“Are you stupid?”

Shae laughs, slapping a hand onto his leg. Although he does wince when skin hits skin from the khaki shorts riding up. “She misses you and Lyra like crazy. Boss takes care of everyone, no matter what. The door is always open, you know that.”

“Are you sure? I just…I don’t know. Our last conversation wasn’t great.”

The blond jumps to his feet. “Come on, Zye. She was only against that because she practically raised you. No one wants someone they care about to spread their legs for money. Besides, we all want what’s best for Lyra, too.”

“I…Yeah, I know.” The change of tone has Shae rustling Zye’s hair. To which Zye immediately swats his hand away. “Stop that! It won’t stay up if you do that.”

Shae only grins. “That’s the point. It’s better down, I think.”

“Says the guy with hair that looks like it got hit with a weed whacker.”

They laugh at each other for a moment. No different than when they were kids. Just two idiots getting along like they always have. It’s never mattered what happens. The kind of friendship they have transcends that. If anyone can help him get through this decision, it’s Shae.

“Let’s go. Boss is in today so—”

“Probably because you said you were meeting with me.”

“Don’t worry about the little details. Let’s just do it. If you want I’ll hold your hand the whole way there.”

“I’ll kill you.” He says nonchalantly while rising to his feet. “But sure.”

Shae is practically vibrating with joy as he ushers Zye back to the door. The walk itself isn’t very far. It’s imperative that those working at the brothel live close by. It’s so that they can be safe no matter from customers or if they’re a Chroma.

From the cul-de-sac, between two houses, then down the alley to where the back roads begin. The walk itself is mostly quiet. Even more so when Zye catches sight of a group of people at the mouth of the alley.

They’re nothing special and they don’t make moves to be suspicious. However, it’s the black mist-like substance hovering around two of them that has Zye trying not to stare at it. The shape of the transparent smoke is ever-changing while moving throughout the group. Yet it always comes back to the two closest to where they’re going. All the while there’s a blue crackle throughout it.

He can’t believe his eyes. As a child, he wrote it off. It had gone away. He hadn’t seen them since. But now— why now is he seeing them. He is seeing them…isn’t he?

Zye moves to walk on the other side of Shae, furthest from the group. Shae notices, he simply doesn’t say anything. He’s used to Zye’s little quirks. He’d never bring up how afraid Zye used to be as a kid, always cowering behind Shae and pointing to thin air that there was something bad there.

Instead, he moves a little closer to Zye just in case. Their arms bump together. Knowing that Shae still has his back is more than just comforting. It has the remainder of the walk filled with Shae’s recounts of all the mishaps that have been happening. From ill-behaved customers to the behind-the-scenes antics everyone gets up to.

The nerves are back the second they reach the rear entrance to the brothel. It’s a beautiful old building with its pillars and steeped roof even for the overhang. The front is even more impressive since there’s a dazzling amount of tiny lights strung around the pillars. The glow makes the maroon of the building shine like a ruby— living up to its name.

Shae grabs for the handle only for Zye to take a step back.

“What if they’re busy?”

“Really?” Shae chuckles and glances over his shoulder. “It’s the afternoon. Not many people want to screw yet. We’re seeing Boss anyway, so relax.”

A sentiment that’s easier said than done. Relax? Zye doesn’t know the meaning of the word lately. Still, he tries to calm the anxiety that’s welling up. Entering only makes it worse. Yet at the same time, the nostalgia helps balance it all out. It’s like returning home after a long trip.

The hours— the days —he spent here have him doing just what Shae said. Relaxing.

His eyes can’t help but flick every which way. Nothing looks different whatsoever. It’s all the same hardwood floors and red accented furniture. The lighting is on high and it’s as blinding as the sun. This is why he’s happy Shae grabs his wrist, pulling him toward the staircase.

The large building is three stories and there’s enough room to house plenty of people. They stride up through the first two stories lined with doors propped open for cleaning. The third floor is where they stop. This landing brings him such a blast from the past that he can almost choke.

It’s where he lived for a short time as a kid. The only floor where those that need a place to stay can reside. The master bedroom at the end of the furthest corner is where he goes. Steps he’s taken a thousand times over.

Shae raps his knuckles on the wood. “Boss?”

“Come in, sweetie.”

This room is vastly different than the facade of the first two floors. It’s filled with knick-knacks, pictures, and the smell of lavender incense. A bed is off to the corner near the door to the bathroom with a quilt folded up on the end. The sitting area is the small futon next to a table with a jar of cookies on it.

Atop a chair on the other side sits an elderly woman that still exudes confidence and strength. Her short, silvered hair is styled to the right with a small flip to the ends. Glasses hang from around her neck on a chain with similar bracelets around each wrist. She gives a small wave to them as they enter, beckoning them over.

Doing so has her needing to roll up the sleeves of her green shirt. Back up around her elbows, she’s able to pour two cups of tea. The old tea set has always made Zye worried about touching it, afraid he’d break it if he so much as breathes on it. Not that he’d ever turn down a cup from her.

“I see you brought me a guest. Come, sit down.”

Zye swallows hard as he sits down next to Shae. He has a hard time lifting his eyes to meet hers, even harder when Shae nudges a knee against his. Shae leans forward, peering at the table. “Oh, I get it.” He’s standing up before Zye can protest. “I’m going to go check what client types I have tonight. Meet me downstairs when you’re ready to leave, ‘kay?”

“Shae—”

“Ask Auriel, she’s in charge for tonight.”

Shae is practically bouncing toward the door then slips out. The click is deafening in the silence that’s left. His eyes lock onto the cup that’s pushed over to him. Looking up at her, he can see just how happy she is to see him. It honestly breaks his heart. He can’t believe he walked away from all of this.

“I’m sorry. I—”

“Zye, I’ve missed you. How have you been?”

“Kass I…Not well. Mom is hanging in there but I don’t know how much longer she has.”

She lifts her cup to her lips, taking a petite sip. “Len is taking care of her, I’m sure she’s more comfortable than most at that point.”

“I’m—”

“My boy, if you’re going to apologize again I’ll take the tea away. I’m old enough to have been in your shoes before. I understand why you made the choices you did.”

Zye grips at the edge of the futon. “You were a second mother to her and I ignored your advice. Now I don’t even know what to do.”

Kassandra lets out a long sigh and sets the cup back down. She gestures to the pictures on her dresser. On it are photos of Lyra with Zye or his father. Photos he hasn’t seen since he left.

“You wanted to get her the best care. That costs money, lots of it. You respected the fact that I didn’t want you working in the rooms here and found another way.” She lifts a leg, crossing it over the other. One heavy boot taps against the table’s lip. “However, I do want you to know that I didn’t like that man nor do I trust him. If you still have anything to do with him, please keep him away.”

“No, I…that’s why I’m here.” He takes a deep breath. Hands grab onto his knees, tries to find a center to work out of. She’s so intimidating only because he values her wisdom so much. “I want to come back.”

Her eyes light up like polished emeralds. The excitement has a smile tugging on her glossy lips. Kassandra gestures to come over to her. Zye doesn’t hesitate in the slightest. He’s up off the futon and by her chair in the next second. She pushes her cup aside so that he can sit on the table. If only so they can be almost at eye level.

“Oh my boy, I’ve missed you so much.”

She draws him forward into a tight embrace. Clinging onto him, she lets him return the hug. His arms hang loosely around her waist at first, unsure. Kassandra chuckles against his hair.

“My poor, foolish boy. Just because you did that doesn’t mean I don’t want you back. I wish you would have at least called. I’ve missed our dinners together.”

Zye smiles against her shoulder. “Only because I cooked them.”

“Hah! Still can’t help yourself, hm?” She pats his head and lets him pull away. “You owe me a <i>lot</i> of dinners. Especially since Lyra told me all about how you’ve been overworking yourself again.”

Yanking upward, Zye’s wide eyes stare at her. “How?”

“Just because we didn’t agree doesn’t mean I don’t go see her.”

“No, I…That makes sense but why didn’t anyone tell me?”

Kassandra stands up. She strides over to the dresser and plucks out one frame in particular. She pops it open enough to pull out a copy that had been hidden beneath. It’s folded and a little worn on the edges.

“I didn’t want to put any pressure on you or make you think I thought you were wrong in what you were doing. I believe in you, Zye. I only want to see my children do well regardless of if they do it my way or not.”

She pats his cheek with one hand then extends the photo to him with the other.

“And you also remind me quite a bit of Vega. In fact, you’re looking more like him these days. He had a silly knack for trying to do everything himself, too.”

The mention of his father has a pang going through his chest. Even more so when he looks at what she’s handed him. It’s a photo worn from the weather and torn toward where two people are sitting. Lyra is like the sun in it. Her smile could brighten any room. Only made possible by how she curls up against his father, Vega. His arms are wrapped around her as they stick out their tongues at one another.

Innocent. Filled with love. Feeling invincible despite how the world inevitably tore them apart.

“I’m sure you don’t have a copy on hand. Keep it with you for good luck.”

He takes that as his sign that their meeting is over. It almost has him feeling sour. He’s missed her and it’s been such a short time to talk. His thumb brushes over the face of his mother. “I really am sorry. I just…don’t know what I’m doing anymore. If it’s even right or not.”

A deep sigh has him raising his head. “Try. If you don’t then you’ll just regret it. I’m proud that you’re trying to find your own way.” She begins toward the door. “You’re welcome to come back, I’ll make sure you’re taken care of. But you’re still not working the rooms. It’s one of two conditions.”

Zye chuckles. “Yes ma’am, I understand. Thank you, for everything.”

“Of course. You’re welcome to stay and have tea as well. I have something to attend to but next time you’re cooking for me.”

Turning, he watches her open the door. Just as it closes it opens again. There’s a crafty little smirk she dons as she winks at him.

“Oh, the other condition. Anyone you date goes through me, that still stands. That other guy didn’t count.”

A blush creeps up onto his face. The reaction is exactly what she hopes for. Kassandra’s boisterous laughter fills the void she leaves as the door shuts. He remembers what she used to tell him— that exact condition for when he’d ask why he gets to live here with her. It was such a silly notion.

Still is, to him. Yet it always put his mind at ease.

Even so, it’s an embarrassing thought that he’s glad he can digest alone before leaving to meet back up with Shae. Zye returns his attention to the photograph. He ambles to the futon and collapses onto it.

“Just a little longer,” he whispers to himself.

He doesn’t want to leave any time soon. She did say to finish the tea. So he’ll do just that before he leaves. A few more seconds in the space that’s always been so safe. In his mind’s eye, he can go right back to when he was little. The nights Lyra would work late were the ones he’d spend curled up in Kassandra’s bed.

She’s always known the best fairy tales. If he thinks hard enough he can remember them all. Can see all the pages of words and pictures.

Zye chuckles to himself, “I really am an idiot…”

For a moment he sits there with himself. The tea gets drank and the picture is folded up then tucked away in his jeans. Leaving is difficult yet he manages it just fine. For now at least. He’s surprised at how easy it is to slip back down, around, and outside where Shae waits for him. Shae smiles over at him the second he lets the door shut.

“So? How did it go?”

“Good. I’ll try to get things on my end straightened out so I can come back.”

Shae pushes away from the wall. Zye is right beside him as they begin to head back. All the while Shae is rambling away.

“That’s great! Actually, I already talked to Boss. If you want you can just come live with me. I’ve been meaning to get a roommate and I can get furniture or stuff if you want.”

“You wouldn’t mind?”

“Pff, really? I’d be honored if you’d grace me with your presence.”

“You’re full of it aren’t you?” Zye shoves his hands in his pockets with a shake of his head. “But thanks…I’d like that. I can always find a place later.”

Shae stops walking, feigning hurt. “You’re planning on leaving me already? What will I do without my knight in shining armor?”

Zye glances back and the second their eyes meet, they’re bursting out laughing. An action that feels so good, feels so cathartic, that Zye can’t believe he’s doing it. Once they’ve calmed down they begin across the street back to Shae’s place.

“I mean you are knight-like. Remember when you took that guy down to the ground? Not even the bouncer on duty could believe you pulled that off?”

“Really?”

“Well, I mean you were pretty scrawny. Still look it too.”

“Coming from the guy that needs help opening jars?” Zye shoots him a look. One that doesn’t last as he reaches his motorcycle. He fishes the keys out of his pocket and the helmet out of the compartment. “Shae?”

“Hm?”

“Thanks for tracking me down.”

“Hey, when one door closes I’ll just break down the wall for you to crawl through.”

“You’re an idiot.”

Shae grins wide and saunters over dramatically with a wink. “But you love me.”

Zye scoffs. He tugs his helmet on, climbs on the bike, and is just about to start it when Shae gets a little closer. There’s concern written on his face. Zye knows exactly what it’s about before he can even open his mouth. Yet, he’s surprised when Shae doesn’t voice the worry.

A worry that can reflect off him. It’s hard to talk about even among them.

Instead, Shae punches Zye on the shoulder. Not that it hurts in the slightest. It’s the weakest hit he’s ever had to take. Shae smiles, something soft and real and warm.

“Stick around longer next time, okay? I’m glad to have you back around. I was really worried when you stopped returning my messages.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be. I know how it is, I did side with Boss. I had my own shit going on, too. That didn’t help. But next time I’ll make you come looking for me, sound like a deal?”

Zye chuckles. “Yeah, promise I’ll find you before anyone else.”

The engine starts up. Shae takes a few steps back and gives a wave. He doesn’t go inside until Zye is out of sight. He can only look on as he hugs his arms around himself. There’s nothing inside of him save for the agony of wanting to be there for his best friend.

If what Kassandra told him is true, Shae’s terrified he can’t help. All he can do is try to cling to Zye with all he has and be there for him while he’s caught in this landslide of a life. The thought of death has him dragging a hand up over his face, trying so hard to push it away.

His phone buzzes in his pocket and he’s thankful. Tugging it out, he swipes a reply that he’ll be there right away. Anything to distract from the inevitable.

2