Chapter 14 (NSFW)
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few weeks are everything Zye could ever ask for. It’s full of dates and time spent together in general— with or without Shae sneaking into their plans. It’s been nice, something he hasn’t had in a long time. There’s no worrying about making rent and the doctor bills. Not to mention all the time he gets to spend with people again.

Sleeping his days away feels so far in the past now. Yet it still feels like a dream.

Especially when Jace’s hand is squeezing his while they walk up to the front door. He can see the light on in the front window. It means he’s in for it when he goes inside— Shae is definitely awake. Not that he minds, not really, since Jace has to go. There’s no sleeping over tonight.

Jace, however, does mind quite a bit. He wishes he could stay longer. Sometimes the time flies by too fast. Making it to the porch, he glances over Zye’s shoulder as the man turns to face him. He stands in front and misses the way the curtain flutters.

Noticing the way Jace glances away, Zye goes to look. Except he’s not allowed. Jace is grabbing his other hand and keeping him right there. Silver eyes stare into him, tugging him into a trance he doesn’t want to escape from.

What he doesn’t see is the curtain tugging away to reveal two familiar faces. Jace wishes he could shake his head— they’re simply too much. Callua is on the left giving him a dirty look. Shae is the one that begins to tug her away from the window. Just before the curtain falls back in front, he mouths ‘go for it’ to Jace.

He doesn’t need Shae to tell him that.

Jace is already leaning forward as he tugs on Zye’s hands. He’s happy to meet Jace halfway if it means those hands are letting go of his. Fingertips brush up along his arms. It has him wishing it was warmer out so he didn’t have to wear a jacket. He’d get to feel that touch.

Settling his hands on Zye’s hips, he brings Zye further still until he can wrap his arms around his waist. A smile is the last thing he sees before Jace presses their lips together. The soft meeting is one that Zye doesn’t want to end. As Jace attempts to pull away, he’s diving back in for another.

It’s addictive, that’s all Zye can describe it as. There’s nothing dramatic or pushy about it. It’s just soft and perfect. He never wants to stop. Unfortunately, Jace is pushing him away despite that. Zye doesn’t mind too much since he gets to see that dazzling smile.

“I have to handle a few things. Probably won’t be around or able to answer your messages for a couple days at least.”

“Just be safe.”

“I will.” Jace takes his hand once more. He lifts it up between them and places a kiss on Zye’s knuckles. “I’ll see you later.”

Letting him go and watching him walk away feels like it takes an eternity. As he realizes he’s alone on the porch, Zye huffs. It’s not that he can’t be without Jace. He just can’t help but worry. He still knows so little compared to what Jace can tell him. And those things are no joke— at least to him anyway.

Remembering them, he hurries inside and shucks off his shoes. He steps into the living room to see Callua bent over Shae while she has him in a headlock. Confusion doesn’t begin to describe it.

“What…are you two doing?”

The smile Callua gives him is the picture of innocence. “Just telling Shae he needs to get to work.”

Released, he stumbles forward and then straightens out his shirt. Shae snatches his jacket off the ground where it fell. “Yeah, yeah. I just didn’t want to interrupt. I’ll catch ya next time, Cal!”

Zye moves over to the couch as Shae leaves. He shrugs out of his jacket and slumps onto the couch. Tentatively, Callua follows him there. She takes a seat a bit further down and tries to collect her thoughts. Not that Zye gives her a chance.

“Been a bit. What were you two up to?”

“Nothing really. Just catching up.” She hurries before he can take the lead of the conversation further. “So…you really like Jace?”

He chuckles the nerves away. “I do…yeah. You know, I’ve missed you being around. How’s it going?”

Callua looks over at him. When he dares to lift his gaze to meet hers, she doesn’t let him get away. “I know he told you about…everything. We aren’t really supposed to be mingling with people to the point where this happens.”

Zye is well aware that this is strange. He can’t help that he likes Jace or vice versa. It doesn’t help that he’s dying. Well, faster than most people anyway. Even so, he wants to try to make this work until the end. Even if his brain keeps screaming at him to end things before he breaks Jace’s heart.

“I know. I get it. I just, I don’t know, he makes me happy.”

Callua giggles at that. “You know what? Lyra would be proud of you for living a little.”

“A little late,” he scoffs back at her.

“Hey, better late than never. And I’m still here, right? I know I’ve been gone a lot lately but you can always come to me.”

“Yeah, yeah I know. You just want some more juicy gossip. Doesn’t Shae give you enough?”

“Mm…not really. No. But I guess since the cat’s out of the bag. Do you think I’m way cooler now?”

Zye shakes his head. “Uh, no. Not at all. You’re still a dork.” He waits for a moment and it’s all the time she needs to grab a pillow and drop it on his lap. Zye doesn’t bat an eye as she lies down with her head on it, looking up at him. “So, you’re just like him?”

“Yes and no? I’m not as strong. I’m quite the peon.”

“A busy one.”

Callua lets out a sigh. “True. We usually are. Although, I do have to admit I’ve been thinking. How long have you been able to see them— the Nether?”

“I never thought of it really…Probably since I can remember. They’ve always kinda been there.”

It worries her, to say the least. He’s not the only one that she’s run into that can see them on this planet. Not the only Chroma either. Regardless, she tries not to put too much stock in it. Callua reaches up to poke at his chin.

“Zye?”

He gives a grunt for her to continue.

“You know you’re my best friend right?”

His hand covers hers as she lowers it. Looking down at her, he can see the emotion behind those orange eyes. There’s something there. He doesn’t understand it and he’s almost too afraid that to pry means she’d run away. He only knows she would because he does it, too.

She wants to ask him so many questions. If she could just know how he’s really doing— how bad off he is then maybe she can settle the unease in her stomach. Not that it would help. She knows this. Yet she wishes she could know. Jace hasn’t said much to her about it and that means Zye isn’t telling anyone.

Losing him would be too much. Looking into those eyes, however, she tries to calm herself. To allow his words to draw her back to a softer version of their reality.

“Are you getting sappy on me now?”

“Nah. Never mind.” She swats his hand away and points up at him. “Are you dying it again? If so, let me pick the color.”

“Uh…no, I don’t love you that much.”

She pouts, jabbing a finger at his chest. It earns her a chuckle if anything. “Well, fine. Ever thought of doing it all one color?”

“Never. That’s too much. Then I’d look like Shae did years ago when he dyed his ‘lavender’.”

“Please tell me you have pictures.”

“Yeah, ‘round here somewhere.”

She sits up and takes the pillow with her. Holding it out toward him like a weapon, she levels her eyes with his. “I’ll be needing those for future bribes. If you do I’ll even tell you a secret in return.”

“Fine, payment first.”

“Okay, okay. He’s ticklish.”

Zye’s eyes widen. It’s there that she knows she has him. A wicked little smile crosses her countenance.

“Jace, he’s ticklish. On his sides, right above his hips. Do with that what you will but don’t tell him you heard it from me.”

“And where else would I have heard it from?”

“Lie, Zye. Come on. I almost died getting that information.”

Zye slowly pulls out his phone. As he begins to look for the pictures he can only shake his head. “I really don’t want to know. But, how’s your schedule. Does that mean you’re getting freed up?”

“Hmm…yeah. Kinda.” The pillow drops into her lap and she pats at it. “You’re worried aren’t you?”

“Why wouldn’t I be? Those things are pretty freaky. Powers or not I’m always going to worry. I’d feel better taking care of it instead of you.”

Callua shakes her head. “N-no you don’t want this life. It’s not like it’s amazing or anything. Just exhausting.”

Zye smiles as he sends the pictures to her phone. “Is that why you sneak out and come here all the time?”

“Hey, maybe I just like being around you idiots.”

________________________

The following month has Zye further perplexed than he normally is. To say he’s been having a horrible time would be an understatement. While being with friends and Jace is great— it’s becoming harder to hide how he’s really doing from them.

There are sleepless nights where once he wakes up from the vivid dreams he ends up staring at the ceiling. They’re never consistent and it’s usually the same one— at least they’re all similar enough. Waking from them always has him disoriented.

Coupling with that is the way his sight is beginning to become fuzzy at long distances or how softer flavors don’t reach his taste buds like they normally would. Nothing is as it should be and it’s scary— horrifying, even, that his body is beginning to show these signs so soon.

Then again, he’ll be thirty next year. Right on schedule to start going downhill.

It’s why he’s secluded himself on the couch. A blanket drapes over his legs that are pulled up to his chest. He hates being alone yet right now he thinks it to be the best option. Callua won’t be around for a few more days. Shae is working a private job and then going in for his shift. And Jace…he’s had to cancel their date.

Not that it’s a lie, he is feeling under the weather. Maybe a day to recuperate will make the difference.

Or so he thinks until there’s a knock on the door.

“The hell?”

His phone goes off next. A simple little chime that has him grabbing it off the cushion next to him. The screen extends and there he sees it, Jace’s name. It has him more than nervous. It’s been a long time since he’s had someone around him while he’s sick— someone that won’t believe the facade he puts on.

Even so, Zye shoves the blanket aside and makes for the front door. Unlock, open, and he can’t help but smile at the sight of a paper bag in Jace’s arms. “What’s all that?”

“You said you weren’t feeling well and I wasn’t entirely sure what to get other than a few different kinds of soup.” He holds it out to Zye. All the while his eyes are taking in the taller man, looking for any sign that he shouldn’t be left alone. “Is there anything you need?”

“Oh, well…you see…” Zye rubs his foot against the back of the other ankle. It’s hard to turn Jace down when he’s right here. “Are you busy?”

To Zye, he looks like he is. Usually, when he’s here to stay he has his hair down, not pushed back and up because of the bandanna. He’s even got on a thick pair of boots over jeans and a long-sleeved shirt to finish it off. Zye will be the first to admit he’s smitten.

“Not anymore. I assigned someone else to what I was doing when I got your message.” Even Jace is a bit shy at the look Zye gives him, stunned and beaming. “I was planning to come over tonight anyway.”

“I see,” he replies while stepping back. “Well, come on in then.”

He takes the bag from Jace and leaves him there. While Jace locks up and unties his boots, Zye takes the care package to the kitchen. Anyone else he’d have shut the door on and perpetuated the desire to be alone despite it being the opposite of what he wants. Trying to break these habits is strangely easy with Jace’s help. Easy when being with Jace has all the bad things not seem so bad.

They both meet back at the couch. It has a curious look from Jace when Zye sits down and curls up beneath the blanket once more. “Are you sure there’s nothing I can get you?”

“I’m not really sick. I just don’t feel well.”

Jace keeps a distance, stopping just before the cushion. “I can leave—”

He’s never stopped someone from leaving before. Not so desperately, at least. Not with a hand reaching out and grabbing onto Jace’s wrist. He tugs at him with an anxious expression. One that has Jace melting immediately.

“No…I…It’s just my condition, you know?”

Sitting down, Jace pries Zye’s hand off his wrist so he can hold onto those fingers instead. “You don’t have to tell me. But I’m here to listen regardless.”

“I told you about not being able to feel things as well, right?”

Jace nods and scoots a little closer.

“Taste and sight are going too.”

“How’s the pain level?”

Zye leans over, his head landing on Jace’s shoulder. It makes it easier for their hands to land on Jace’s thigh. Something that Jace notices and can’t take his eyes off of.

“It’s fine. Nothing too bad yet.”

“Will you tell me when it is?”

“Mm…maybe.”

“Please?”

Zye chuckles at that. “I can’t say no to that.” He’s about to ask about what he pulled Jace away from when he notices the fingers rubbing against his. “Everything okay?”

“Oh, uh, yeah. It’s a nice color.”

It catches Zye off guard. The compliment is the last thing he expected to hear out of Jace’s mouth. The fact that it’s caught the man’s attention says volumes and it has Zye wanting to test it the first chance he gets. For now, he tries not to think about it too hard otherwise the last thing he’ll want to do is rest.

“Thanks. Shae did it while I was asleep. How he managed it I don’t know.”

Jace rubs his thumb over the back of Zye’s hand. He needs to find a way to distract himself from how good the dark purple looks against Zye’s skin. Not to mention it makes those already long fingers seem even more so. He swallows hard and leans back, his head resting atop Zye’s.

“Anything else happen? Any more Nether following you around?”

“Nope. They’ve kept their distance like you said they would. There have been these really weird dreams, though.”

“How so?”

Zye lets his eyes close and he can see it all over again. The vivid scene that always plays out before him never leaves his memory no matter how long it’s been between the times he’s seen it.

“I’m not sure where it is. Everything is usually so dark. All that’s there is a light I’m trying to get to and there’s these Nether everywhere. Sometimes there’s someone with me but I can’t get close to see them. I know there’s talking, but I can’t hear anything. It’s too muffled.”

“That sounds scary.”

“It can be. But they don’t approach me. They just stand around me, keeping me from going forward. Or maybe they’re leading me to it…I don’t know. I blame you.”

“Me?”

Zye sits up and sticks his tongue out at Jace. “Yeah, all your stories. Maybe they’re just lingering with me.”

“Oh…I’m sorry, I didn’t think about that.”

“You idiot, it’s fine. They’re just dreams.”

Jace leans over, follows him, and kisses his cheek. “It’s good they aren’t violent. Maybe keep a dream journal and write them down. I used to do that when I was a kid.”

“Yeah…maybe I’ll try that.”

He’s a bit disappointed when Jace sits back. The quick peck was nothing to be excited about. Yet he is. Jace’s smile doesn’t help either— he’s either the definition of innocence or he does in fact know what it does to Zye. Which, Zye doesn’t even know at this point and he’s not sure he’ll figure it out anytime soon.

“So relax, I’ll stay here with you for our date instead. I did bring dinner.”

“I guess you did.” Zye slips his hand from Jace’s and instead places it on his thigh. Saddling closer, Zye dips his head down to dust a kiss over Jace’s ear. “What do you suggest we do then?”

Heat sears over Jace’s face at that. Except, his composure never seems to slip no matter how hard Zye tries to make it. For a moment, Jace doesn’t do anything other than gently push Zye away. It has the man going through mental turmoil— he’s not used to anyone he’s been with shutting him down.

He knows how to do this and Jace isn’t responding. It’s a shot to his ego that he’s not sure he can take. Leveling his gaze with Jace, he’s trying to get across his intent more than what he just did. Yet those silver eyes give nothing away. The hand that remains on his shoulder does. Fingers lightly squeeze at it.

“You don’t feel good, we shouldn’t—”

“Then take my mind off it.”

“We shouldn’t do this out here, either.”

Zye seems to deflate at that. He pulls away and leans against the arm of the couch. “If you really don’t want to, you can say so. It won’t hurt my feelings.”

Jace shakes his head. “That’s not it.”

“Then what is it?”

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Well, maybe as long as you don’t bang my brains out today I should be good. I do have work tomorrow.”

Standing, Jace grabs Zye’s hand and tugs him up as well. The second he’s on his feet, Jace’s lips are on him. The kiss is rough and has so much pressure behind it. To the point, he’s left dizzy when Jace finally pulls away. It has him wanting to lure Jace into kissing him more— so much more.

“To your room? That way you don’t get fidgety from the off chance Shae comes home.”

Zye’s already tugging him toward the hallway. It doesn’t feel very romantic in any sense but he doesn’t care. It doesn’t have to when he knows in one more second he’ll have Jace to himself. Besides, any other time Jace is romantic enough for the both of them.

The door barely gets shut before Zye has Jace up against it. Zye smiles against the lips he brushes his against. “Last chance to run.”

No answer comes in words. Jace places his hands on Zye’s hips and meets him halfway. The softness of the kiss contrasts with the grip on his waist. It brings him flush up against Jace— exactly where he wants to be. Noses touch as Zye retreats first.

When he takes a step back, Jace follows. One leg settles between Zye’s with arms yanking him close. Unable to move, he smirks at Jace. “Want something?”

“You.”

“Good answer.”

Zye slides a hand up Jace’s arm. His hand cups the back of the man’s neck and brings him in for another kiss. They’re pleasurable distractions. All as they move closer to the bed. Each step is punctuated with mouths joining and legs rubbing as they move. Just before the edge of the bed, Jace dips away from the next kiss to instead dust his lips over the side of Zye’s neck.

He’s not sure how much longer he wants to bother standing. Not with that strong leg grinding between his. It doesn’t help that the kisses are never-ending and he’s having a hard time catching his breath between them. To the point, he places a hand on Jace’s chest and pulls away.

Licking at his lips, he chuckles. “Do you not have to breathe or something?”

Jace smiles at him. It’s far sexier than Zye will ever admit. It almost has his knees buckling with how Jace dips forward, noses brushing together. “I don’t actually.”

“That’s…kinda hot, I won’t lie. What else is weird about you?”

Zye begins to sit down and drags Jace along with him. The man places one knee on either side of Zye’s lap, content with the position at the moment. Especially when Zye is reaching forward and slipping his hands beneath Jace’s shirt. He drags the material up with him the higher he goes. Helping him, Jace begins to slip out of it until he can peel it off.

He takes Zye’s hand and places the cooler palm over where his heart would be. Not that Zye can focus on whatever Jace is trying to make apparent to him. He’s too busy looking at the sight before him. Considering what he knows now, he shouldn’t be surprised to see the chiseled torso before him. Even so, seeing it has his voice catching in his throat.

The expression on his face says everything. Jace leans down while cupping at Zye’s chin with his other hand. He ghosts his lips over Zye’s. “Do you feel anything?”

It’s then that Zye thinks about it. His heart is beating in his ears so loud he’s sure Jace can hear it if he gets too close. But the skin beneath his palm? He feels nothing. It’s warm and soft— that’s all.

“You…don’t have a heartbeat?”

Jace kisses him again. “Right. I don’t have to eat either, but I enjoy our meals together.”

The information is hard to take in when those strong fingers are dragging down his neck and brushing at the collar of Zye’s tank top on the way. His hand stops over Zye’s heart, enjoying the feeling of it pounding away. He begins with a gentle push— urging Zye to lie down to where dark tresses are mussed against the sheet.

Zye wants to say something witty, let his brain work him out of the corner he’s happily getting pushed into. Especially since Jace is so composed as he pushes the tank top up before he hits the bed. To Zye, he doesn’t think it’s anything worth looking at. Not compared to the godly physique before him.

Perhaps that’s why his hands are on an adventure of their own. Trying to get some leverage back in some way when he feels a thumb brush over his nipple. Zye pinches an eye shut and shivers at the feeling. It doesn’t go unnoticed.

“You like it there?”

“You don’t have to say it,” he mumbles and sticks his tongue out at Jace.

Even so, he’s the one that escalates it further once his fingers pluck at the button on Jace’s jeans. Jace doesn’t seem to react until a slender hand is slipping into the front of them. He grins up at Jace, “And I think you like it here.”

Jace allows it. If only because he’s doing the same. The waistband of Zye’s sweatpants is pulled down just enough so he can cup at Zye’s bulge. He palms it as he kisses the corner of Zye’s mouth. “So do you.”

“Let me take care of that then.”

He urges Jace down until he can wrap both of his hands around their members. Despite how hard and hot he knows they are, he can’t feel it as well as he wishes. The irritation adds to the need for this to feel good. It does take both of his hands to fully wrap around them both.

Nuzzling his head against Zye’s neck, Jace is more than happy to breathe him in. He kisses the flushed skin. “Do it how you want.”

Zye doesn’t need to be told twice. His hands begin to slide up and down their lengths in a slow motion. Slow and steady wins the race, after all. He enjoys the way that Jace seems to try not to move his hips and let Zye have his way— to give him some power in the moment.

Not that Zye notices or cares. All he can think about is the weight in his hands and each breath that caresses his neck. It only helps when he feels it— the beginnings of liquid beading at the tips. Something that will only help when he begins to pick up speed.

If he were to be honest it feels as though his brain is going to melt. He can’t believe they’re doing this. He tilts his head away from Jace and ultimately gives him more room to pepper kisses over his neck. All the while, there’s a hand on his chest that’s squeezing and rubbing at his nipple.

Zye wiggles his hips. It grinds him harder into his own hand and against Jace’s dick. Even still, he tries to bite back his noises and swallow them down. A feat that Jace notices from the way Zye squirms.

Forgetting the chest below him, Jace leans on his elbow and lets the other hand slip between them. His fingers cover Zye’s as they stroke up and down. He knows Zye can’t feel as well and applies the tiniest bits of his power to warm the quivering fingers.

“Jay…” he mumbles. A plea that grants him another kiss and a tongue that slips into his mouth. It’s only then that he lets out a small moan where it can be muffled.

Between the kisses, Jace gives a flick of his tongue over Zye’s bottom lip. It’s coupled with the squeeze onto Zye’s hands. “Getting…close.”

The pace quickens. Zye can feel it, the way they swell in his hands and make a mess on them already. If he could be embarrassed it’d be that he hits that precipice first. His toes curl and for a moment his hand stills. It doesn’t even matter that he’s shot it up across his stomach.

What does is that Jace’s hand doesn’t leave his. He guides Zye’s hands to keep moving until a few more strokes have him tipping over the edge as well. It’s punctuated by a rough kiss that steals the rest of Zye’s breath. All he can think about is the comfortable weight over him and the fingers gently rubbing at his.

Jace pulls away only to leave a chaste peck on his lips. “Feel better?”

“Mm…a bit.”

Lying there beneath Jace, Zye slowly lets the adrenaline slip away. The sticky mess on his stomach makes it easier to come back to reality. Even more so when Jace’s hand finally moves away, careful not to touch anything. That’s when Zye makes his move. He grabs Jace’s wrist and tugs it up between them.

“What are you doing?”

Zye ignores him. Better to show than to say. Especially since he might shrink away if he explains it. Sometimes he just likes toying with his boyfriend more than he should.

It’s also far more fun to watch those silver eyes widen when Zye drags his tongue across Jace’s palm. All the way up to the tip of a finger that’s covered in their sticky mess. It reminds Jace all too well of the last time Zye was bold like this. He tries hard to ignore it and the way his body wants him to react.

“Like what you see?”

Jace tests it. He pushes his hand closer of his own will, a finger dragging over Zye’s bottom lip. The latter immediately licks at it— drawing it into his mouth and swirling his tongue around it. When he finally lets Jace pull away, he can see the darkening of lust in that gaze.

“How long until Shae gets off work?”

“Why? Ready to go again.”

He dips his head down, lips touching Zye’s own. “If you keep doing that, yes.”

1