Chapter 17
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The only time that Jace has been to Ruby’s Light is when Zye is with him. It’s never been to escort him home. In fact, Zye has managed to keep him far from it aside from needing his help picking up Shae that time. Jace can’t fathom why and at the same time he might— it is a brothel.

However, considering the ups and downs Zye has had lately, Jace is glad that he’s coming around. Little by little he’s pushed further into the man’s life than he had ever intended.

And he’s happy about it.

The only problem is that Zye didn’t specify where to go when he gets to the building. The last time he was here he went to the back door. Except he’s sure that he shouldn’t do that this time considering he doesn’t have Zye with him. Thankfully, he’s dressed presently enough; slacks, a white long-sleeved shirt, and a dark brown coat that swishes down to his ankles.

It’s not much different than most of the people standing outside chatting. It is getting cold with the threat of possible snowfall on the horizon. Something that Jace severely hopes doesn’t happen when he has to go outside. Cold weather, even with his otherworldly body, isn’t something he cares to deal with.

Coming to the ornate double doors of the establishment, Jace makes his way inside. The first thing he comes to a few feet in is a desk with a stunning person behind it. They smile sweetly at him and slide the screen around in front of them.

“Good evening, do you have an appointment or are you just here for a good time?”

“Actually, I’m here to pick Zye up. But I wasn’t sure if I should wait outside or come in and—”

“Oh! He told us someone might come in looking for him. Now that you mention it, he might be a bit.” They gesture over to a woman further in sitting on a sofa. The elegant dress she wears falls like silk down her long legs as she stands. “This lovely lady will take you upstairs where you can wait.”

“Thank you.”

It does come off as a little odd. But considering Zye talks so highly of the woman that runs this place, he doesn’t think about it for long. Instead, he just follows the one that guides him up to the top floor. There’s no conversation to speak of until she takes him to the last door at the end of the hall.

There’s a smile on her lips as she knocks on the door. Even then, her words are directed to whoever is in the room and not him. “He’s here.”

“Come in.”

The woman’s last task is to open the door and give a sweep of her arm. She flicks her long blonde hair over her shoulder before striding past Jace. “Good luck, handsome.”

If it wasn’t odd, it is now. Not that he can just turn and go back down. All he can do is enter the room before shutting the door behind him. Jace sweeps his gaze back to the room and immediately notices it’s a bedroom. One that more than likely belongs to the elder woman sipping tea further in.

She sets her cup down on its saucer and sweeps her arm toward the seating on the other side of the table. “Come, sit down.” Her smile is genuine as he moves forward to do as she suggests. “My name is Kass. I own this little business.”

“Jace Ryven, it’s nice to finally meet you. Zye’s told me a lot about you.”

This has her crossing her legs at the ankles and folding her hands onto her lap. “Is that so? He doesn’t tell just anyone about me. Yet I know very little about you.”

It catches Jace off guard. Zye doesn’t talk about him. Yet he’s not too surprised in the same breath. The stall to find something to say is long enough that Kass continues.

“Len called me not too long ago about a rare occurrence. He said that our boy brought a rather handsome man to his last appointment. Not only that but a well-behaved one at that.”

“I just wanted to make sure he got there and back safely. He shouldn’t be driving in that state.”

Kass raises a brow, “Oh? And he let you get away with that?”

Jace chuckles at that, “I’m surprised he let me go, too.”

“Hmm…” Kass reaches for the cup of tea and lifts it to her lips. She never lets her eyes leave the man before her. It clacks back down on the plate. “Tell me, dear, honestly, what would you do if I told you I don’t want you two seeing each other?”

It’s a hard question. At the same time, it’s not. While Jace has personally been okay with going behind Charmilla’s back about the relationship, he’s not sure if Zye would be comfortable doing the same. Not that it’d stop him from fighting for it.

“If it’s what he wants it’d be a different story. If I thought my presence was hurting him, I’d leave on my own.” Jace tries to relax despite the nerves. “I’d be honored if you’d give me a chance to convince you otherwise. Zye and Shae are very good friends and I’d hate to lose them because we don’t get along.”

The expression cracks and Kass laughs. It’s loud and boisterous and catches Jace completely off guard. She slaps the side of her knee. It takes her a moment to calm down and lean forward. “Relax, I’m not going to tear you two apart. Not when he’s so happy.”

Jace raises an eyebrow at that. Fingers slowly uncurl and smooth out against his legs. “You’re not?”

“No, no, nothing like that. But he won’t tell me anything and I’m tired of waiting. Tell me about you two, you’re friends?”

The atmosphere seems to calm and relax the tiniest bit. At least, enough that he doesn’t feel like she’s going to interrogate him as Charmilla would. He’s glad there’s no heartbeat otherwise it’d be pounding in his ears and overwhelming his thoughts.

“Yes, ma’am.”

“Kass is fine. That makes me feel old. Get along okay? Because he can be quite the pain.”

The laugh that comes after the admission has Jace smiling. She doesn’t seem to hate him at least. Fingers lace together on his lap as he tries to breathe through the nerves. “I think he’s wonderful. Could get into fewer fights, though.”

“If you can manage that it’d give me some peace of mind. I’m less worried about him starting something and more worried he’s going to get killed trying to help someone.”

“I’ve already seen him try that. But that’s a good quality, wanting to help. I just wish he wouldn’t jump into it headfirst.”

Kass leans forward and pours tea into the other cup that she’s had on the table. Sliding it over, she nods in agreement, “I’m glad he’s got you to look out for him then. Here, some tea if you’d like it. Have you two been dating long?”

“Four almost five months.”

It was so tucked in and he’s caught up in the pace of conversation that answering without thinking is the first thing he does. A bad habit he has and immediately regrets. Looking up from the glance at the teacup, he meets the sly smile on her face.

“I-I mean, we’ve known each other for some time. About eight months and we’ve—”

“Pretty cute that it was that easy. Now, how serious are you? Because if you’re just here until it gets bad and you skip, I might have some words for you.” She folds one leg over the other. “Love is fickle and I don’t want him to deal with a shitty boyfriend on top of being sick.”

Jace takes the offered cup. It’s the only way to give himself a moment to think and let go that he slipped up. It doesn’t matter that he doesn’t care for the warm liquid that tastes a bit more earthy than he’d like. Treating the cup as if it’s glass, he sets it back down on the saucer.

“I’m not leaving a friend that needs me. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.” He gives her a reassuring smile. “I just want him to be as happy as possible until that point comes.”

“Helping someone eat or bathe is a big feat for just a boyfriend, though. Wouldn’t you say?”

“I helped take care of my younger sisters and they put up far more fight.”

That seems to have Kass loosening up on her barrage. She laughs and shakes her head. “Not bad, boy, not bad. And if I ask for your number?”

Jace is already reaching into his jacket pocket. He produces his phone and holds it out to her. “I’d prefer if you had it. I just…um…don’t quite know how to do it.”

“Heh,” she chuckles while taking his phone. A moment later she has a message sent to herself so she can save his number while also logging hers into his phone. “If you need anything, let me know.”

“Thank you.” He takes it back and quickly pockets it, not wanting to lose it after Callua went to the trouble of getting it for him.

“While I have you here I did want to thank you for convincing him to attempt the trials.”

Jace shakes his head at that, “I didn’t do anything. It was his decision.”

“One he wouldn’t have had the balls to make if someone hadn’t told him what he needed to hear. Because of Lyra and I, he made a decision that got him mixed up with questionable people. Without Lyra, I worry he doesn’t think of himself enough now more than ever.”

Jace meets her eyes and for a moment he can see the weariness there. She’s old, tired, and worried far more than she’ll admit. “I can promise you I’ll always be there for him. I know it’s just words but I plan to back them up.”

Kass is about to speak when the door slings open. Thankfully, it’s grabbed before it can bang up against the wall and quickly shut. She can’t help but laugh as Zye storms into the room, hurrying up to Jace’s side. Kass waves at him, “Glad you could make it.”

“Why did—”

“Relax, dear, I just wanted to meet the boyfriend you’ve been keeping from me. I wasn’t planning to hurt him.”

Zye glares at her, “Why don’t I believe that?”

“Because he’s rather charming. I’d have to say it’s the best one you’ve hidden from me yet.”

“You could have at least told me you were doing that.”

“You’d have denied me the opportunity.” Kass leans forward to speak to Jace instead. “Now, next time you find yourself in the area come see me. I’d be more than happy to show and tell you all about what a little rascal he was. The absolute cutest little runt.”

Zye grabs at Jace’s arm. “Yup, that’s it. We’re leaving. I’ll see you tomorrow, Kass.”

Getting Jace to stand up is easy. The man is happy to follow Zye’s lead. At least, to stand anyway. Once he has, he levels his gaze with Zye’s. “Did you find out if you have the day after Christmas off or not?”

“We can talk about that later. Come on.”

Kass grins from ear to ear while clacking her long nails against the sides of the teacup. “Actually, he’s off.”

Zye pushes around the side of Jace to give her a look. “No. I don’t.”

“You do though. In fact. You have off the day and three days after. Schedule just changed so go have fun while you’re young.”

Lacing his fingers with Zye’s, Jace begins to tug his flustered lover to the door. “Thank you, Kass. I’ll see you again soon.”

She gives a wave just before he manages to tug Zye out the door. Once he has, Zye immediately takes the lead. He guides Jace down the stairs to the back door. The second they’re outside is when Zye lets go of Jace’s hand. All so he can spin around and push Jace up against the side of the building.

It’s such a quick movement, a dominant one in fact, that Jace is glad he doesn’t have to breathe. It would have taken it away and he’d be a puddle between Zye’s feet. Instead, he’s able to hold some level of dignity while he’s pinned between two arms and being glared at with the intensity of a cat that rained on. Which isn’t easy considering the jacket covers plenty but the top three buttons to the shirt beneath it are undone. The sight has Jace having a hard time trying to find somewhere else to look.

“Is something wrong?”

Zye, in all his exasperated glory, shakes his head. If his hair and bangs weren’t held back by a headband, they’d be jostling more than it is. “Why did you go up there? And why did you ask that in front of her?”

“I was told to go there and if I asked with her there you wouldn’t be able to weasel out of your gift.”

“You—”

“If you want. You can change your mind and we can stay at your place. I just wanted to take you somewhere nice and spend the entire day with you. Like you asked.”

Groaning, Zye leans forward until his head hits Jace’s shoulder. “It’s so hard to be mad at you when your reasons are always sweet as hell.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispers softly while wrapping his arms around Zye’s waist.

“No, it’s fine. I just…I don’t not like it.” He lifts his head. “Wait. Did you give her your number? Please tell me you didn’t.”

“I did.”

“Fuck. Of course, you did. If she sends you any old pictures and you don’t—”

“Even if she did, there’s no way they’re any cuter than the you right now.”

Red sears over Zye’s cheeks as he shoves away. “I’m gonna scream.”

Starting to walk away, he doesn’t look back. Not that he has to. He knows Jace can easily catch up to him. Even better is that he can grab Zye’s hand and squeeze it. He keeps pace with Zye and tries not to smile too much at the sight of Zye wearing his jacket. To say he’s happy would be an understatement since he hasn’t seen Zye wear any other since getting this one.

“I guess I can look forward to my forced time off,” mutters Zye as they walk.

“You’re welcome.”

“Yeah, yeah. You’re lucky you already know when my next appointment is.”

“I wouldn’t have asked for those days if I’d thought you wouldn’t be able to enjoy them to the fullest.”

Zye huffs, “Do you ever even get mad?”

The deep chuckle has Zye not the least bit shocked. “Not much. I’m mad about plenty of things, but why would I sulk about it when I get to be with you right now?”

“You’re such a dork.”

“I could always offer to carry you home. I know you’ve been on your feet all day.”

Stepping a bit closer, Zye knocks their shoulders together. “Nah, I’d rather hold your hand. You can get clingy later if no one is home. Deal?”

It’s not just that it would be embarrassing either. He really does love the feeling of Jace’s palm up against his own. Especially how Jace rubs his thumb over the back of his hand in small circles. Not to mention the warmth he gets.

“Actually, Callua’s already there with dinner.”

Zye huffs at that, clearly disappointed. “Of course she is. Does she know we’re on our way back?”

“No.”

“Then let’s take a detour to the park.” Zye takes a few steps forward and turns around. Walking backward, he grins at Jace. “I bet no one’s there since it’s past any kid or grandpa’s bedtime.”

“It’s cold. You’ll get sick.”

“I won’t if you keep me warm Mr. Heater.”

Jace catches up with him. It’s easier than he’d think to have Zye back at his side with their hands unlinked. He holds around Zye’s waist and keeps him close as they continue to walk. “No. Dinner first and she said something about pizza.”

________________________

By the time the holiday does come, Zye finds himself a little nervous for more than one reason. If anything he’s glad that his body seems to be cooperating today. He’s pretty sure he’d be a sobbing mess if he has to miss the festivities as well as Jace’s plans. Although he is a bit sad that Jace couldn’t make it for dinner.

It leaves him to do dishes on his own while Callua sits on the counter. Her legs swing ever-so-slightly as she watches him scrub through the soapy bubbles. He glances at her while letting a plate clunk into the dish drain. “You know, you could help.”

“But you’re doing great! Why would I want to get in the way of that.”

“Jerk.”

Callua grins wide and slips the Santa hat off her head. She folds it up on her lap before picking up Zye’s, something he discarded far earlier in the night. “Thanks for inviting me. Dinner was good.”

“You know you’re always welcome here.”

“Sorry Jace couldn’t make it.”

“It’s fine, he’ll be here soon.” Zye flips the water off and grabs for the hand towel. “Why would you be sorry anyway? Not your fault he couldn’t be on time.”

She wiggles in place for a moment. Enough to have Zye rolling his eyes. Callua sets the hats aside. “He offered, I swear! If he helped me with that mission then I’d keep one of the big wigs off his tail for a few days.”

Zye moves past her. To where she’s hopping off and following after him. He heads straight for the couch where he plops down. It doesn’t help that he’s been on his feet trying to get dinner done for the three of them. “It’s fine. I appreciate the help.”

Callua plops down next to him and brings her legs up on the couch, crossing them beneath her. She’s not sure what to say all of a sudden. Things have been so busy that it feels like they really don’t get to be alone together anymore. Worse yet, he knows more than he used to. She’s sure if he asked Jace would tell him everything from beginning to end.

“So…how’s it going if you got him to cover for you?”

It’s hard not to look at him when he leans forward, palms on his knees and face tilted back toward her. She huffs and leans back. “It’s not like it was a hard one. I just didn’t want to do it.”

“But, you’re okay?

“Are you just going to keep prying until I tell you something is wrong?”

“Isn’t there, though?”

Callua groans and rocks in place— side to side. That is until she tips over to where she’s leaning against him once he sits back. It’s so he can’t see her, giving her privacy with her thoughts. Her head rests on his shoulder with her hair pooling between them from the side ponytail she has it up in.

“Since when did you get so good at reading people?”

“I didn’t. Just worried about you. You seem…tired.”

“I’m okay, Zye, I promise. You won’t understand it all and it’d just make you worry more.”

His head rests against hers. “Sorry.”

There’s a brief pause before Callua sighs.

“I’ve had to work more with Soren lately. I have to be around him to keep up appearances and he’s just so…creepy. Without you there to run into I just don’t want to show up and deal with it anymore.”

Zye slips an arm around her shoulders and pulls her close. “Yeah, he was kind of an ass. Especially when he won’t look at you.”

“Right! At least talk to me when you’re being condescending!”

Laughing together feels so easy. It’s warm and light to go with the beginning of their evening of food and games. It just seems right. He wishes they could have more normal days together like they used to. It feels as though he either has one or the other these days— never both of them at the same time. It’s like having a bright sunny day but he’s stuck inside, unable to soak up the warmth.

Callua pulls away first. “Thank you…for being my friend.”

It catches him completely off guard. Slowly, he turns to look at her with surprise etched into his countenance. It takes him a moment to gather his thoughts. Never has she been that vulnerable sounding. Never has she looked so small to him.

Zye can’t help it. He yanks her back toward him into a tight hug. “How could I not? You’re kind, smart, and you’re a great partner in crime. Without you, I wouldn’t have made it to where I am now.”

“Not true,” she scoffs. “Give yourself some credit. You might be an ass to cover it up, but you care more about people than you let on.” She’s allowed to sit up after returning the hug. “I saw how you helped that new kid at the warehouse.”

“I guess. But you’re the one that pushed me to do things.” He knocks his elbow against her shoulder, gently shoving her. “Sometimes people just need a little push right?”

“Like you and Jace? Eh?”

Zye sulks back against the couch. “Don’t keep saying that, Shae will get a big head and think he was the helping hand.”

“So you two, gonna have fun tonight?”

“Cal, please, I don’t want to have to wire your mouth shut.”

“So cute.” Callua reaches over and pokes him in the side. “Oh! Speaking of, you left the door unlocked right?”

“Shae usually does. He’s an idiot like that.”

She gives a small hum and sits back with a glint in her tangerine-colored eyes. Of course, Zye can figure out why she asked. Especially when he can hear the door open from there. The mere thought of the night coming to a close has his heart racing up to lodge in his throat.

The anticipation for what’s to come only stirs up the nerves. It doesn’t help that Jace has gotten quick at shucking out of his boots so he can make it into the living room. Zye’s just glad that he’s already sitting. No matter how many times Jace walks into a room, it feels as though he loses his breath and suddenly he can’t dare think of anything else.

To Zye, he’s more than just a pretty face. He loves the way those silver eyes light up when their gazes meet. Not to mention it doesn’t matter what he wears— Jace always looks good. Although, with it getting colder he’s had to make sure to dress in thicker layers despite not needing to.

Light brown corduroy pants have a dark blue t-shirt tucked into them. Not that Zye can see much of it considering the long black jacket over it. The ends swish against Jace’s knees as he comes to a stop beside the couch.

He feels a little under-dressed in his jeans and white long-sleeve shirt now. It’s not even a plain one. It has a sleeping panda on the back with a few Z’s floating above its head. Something he didn’t realize until Callua pointed it out when she arrived and he just hasn’t had time to change it.

Jace leans against the armrest but doesn’t sit between the two of them. “Sorry I couldn’t make it. How was dinner?”

Callua grins from ear to ear like a greedy cat that’s just found a big fat mouse to eat. “It was delicious. Zye went all out and he even made us a cake that was heavenly! Jealous?”

“Not exactly. I get to eat plenty of his cooking already.”

“Bragging isn’t a good color on you.”

Zye rolls his eyes and ignores them, trying to move the conversation along. “Shae should be here soon with Kass. She said she wanted to see us.”

“That’s fine. Did you three have fun?”

Callua dares. She reaches up and pokes at Jace’s side. The fact that she enjoys how he recoils away from her has her giggling. All the while he takes a step away from her to where she can’t reach him. “We had a lot of fun actually. Unfortunately for the two of you, you’re not allowed to sneak off during the next holiday.”

“Who says?” huffs Zye.

“Me. I say and there’s no weaseling out of this one.”

There’s a thunk of the door opening and Zye is already up out of his seat. He hurries past Jace with sock-clad feet sliding over the floor before he comes to a stumble of a halt. Shae is shutting the door while Kass stands between them, a smile on her face.

For a moment Zye can’t help the thought— that she’s so small in that large, puffy white jacket. Not to mention her hair is mostly hidden beneath the thick beanie with the fluffy white orb atop the black material. Even so, her sharp eyes remind him she’s still a force to be reckoned with.

“My boy,” she says with a smile. Kass moves straight for him and wraps her arms around his waist, hugging him tight. “Thank you for waiting on an old lady.”

“I’d wait as long as it takes.”

“Don’t be cheeky boy. I know you have plans.”

Zye lets her pull away only so she can loop her arm with his. He walks her out with Shae following right behind them. The first thing he notices is that Jace has sat down in Callua’s spot with her moving over to his. Except the second they see Kass, they’re both on their feet.

“You know Jace already. And this is Callua, the friend I’ve told you about.”

She can’t get away from Zye fast enough. The thick soles of her combat boots slap against the floor as she goes right up to Callua. “It’s so nice to finally meet you, dear. Lyra always bragged about what a beautiful friend Zye had made.”

“Aw, thank you. I’m sure it’s as much as Zye has told me all about the badass lady that helped raise him.”

A smirk crosses her red-painted lips, “He’d have better. It was a lot of work between those two troublemakers.”

She reaches out and Callua happily places her hands atop those arms that circle around her. Getting closer, Kass whispers to her. “Thank you for keeping an eye on them. Handsome over there has my number, feel free to get it from him and call me if you ever need anything.”

“Of course, thank you.”

“Now, to the main event.” Kass pulls away and gestures for Callua to sit back down, which she does. “Shae, set that down and sit between these two. Ah, and I need your phone.”

“Just don’t click anything.”

“I’m not going to snoop through your things, boy. I already can guess what’s in there.”

Shae pouts as he hands her the phone. The medium-sized box he’d been carrying is sat on the table before he plops down between Jace and Callua. To the side, Zye is a bit confused. He’s not sure what she’s up to.

Kass waves her hand at Zye. “Come on, hurry and get in the shot so I can get a picture.” She stands on the other side of the table— as far away as she can get. When Zye inches in closer but doesn’t commit, she clicks her tongue. “Help me out? You all have to get a lot closer than that.”

A sigh from Shae is Zye’s only warning. Jace grabs at his arm and tugs him down. He lands on Jace’s lap while teetering over toward Shae, who in turn wraps an arm around one of Zye’s. He’s pulled closer between the two men while Callua squishes them all together from her end.

The surprise. The smiles that they don’t realize they’re wearing.

It’s when Kass snaps the picture and wags the phone back and forth in front of them. “Thank you for humoring me. I just wanted something new to put on my dresser and he has denied me endlessly since he came back.”

Zye scrambles to peel away from both Shae and Jace so he can stand. “That’s because I was working.”

“Semantics. Now I loved both of the gifts you boys got me, but I have something for you all as well.” She sets the phone on the table, which Shae immediately scoops back up, and opens the plain brown box.

The first thing she pulls out is what looks to be a steel book— completely black with nothing but silver lettering on the front in the form of a single word, ‘silent’. This she hands to Callua.

“Shae helped me pick it out. He said you like horror movies?” Kass smiles when Callua nods. “This is one of my favorites from when I was a cute little thing like you.”

“I…this is so kind. Thank you so much.”

Callua takes the cool metal into her hands. Her eyes are practically shimmering with delight at what she’s just been given. As a horror movie connoisseur, Zye knows she’s going to pop that thing in the second he and Jace are gone.

“Now, Shae. I heard you were trying to get tickets to see that one band you were talking about?” She doesn’t have to look up to see his mouth beginning to hang open. The envelope she pulls out and hands him is gently taken. As if he’s afraid it’s not real. “I also gave you time off to go see them. Read the dates and times— don’t forget.”

“T-thank you, Kass.”

While this is happening, Jace stands and urges Zye to take his seat. Zye is a bit unsure about doing so. He won’t lie to himself. It feels strange to be getting anything from Kass when he feels like he’s indebted to her for everything she’s done for him. It’s worse when she hands him what looks like a binder with a plastic sleeve over it.

It’s not very thick at all, maybe an inch at most. When he pulls it out of the sleeve and opens it, he’s not sure what to feel. Rather, he’s not sure what feeling to let be seen.

He feels as though a handful of emotions are surging through him and creating a storm. One that results in a warm feeling in the center of his chest when he sees the first picture inside the photo album. It’s old and has wear and tear around the edges. But it’s intact enough to show his mother and father sitting outside in front of a cafe.

Kass smiles gently at him when he lifts his gaze to meet hers. “I was trying to have this done when you left for work yesterday. But someone just had to run out in a hurry.”

Zye is grateful for the hand that falls on his shoulder. A gentle yet reassuring squeeze helps him center his emotions. “I don’t know what to say…thank you.”

“There’s a copy of everything I have. I know it’s nothing fancy and just some old pictures—”

“No! I love it. I really do…this is amazing.” He’s already putting it back in the plastic sleeve as he says this. The last thing he wants to do is chance it getting ruined. “I’ll take good care of it.”

“You’re too sweet. And you,” she turns her attention to Jace. The footsteps take her right up to him— toe to toe. “I didn’t get to prepare much for you so come by after you’re free from these three.”

Jace shakes his head at that. “It’s alright. I don’t need anything.”

“Nonsense. Then at least let me have a hug.”

At first, he doesn’t think anything of it. Although, he does find it rather cute how easily he can wrap his arms around her despite how intense her grip on him is. The tight hug reminds him of the ones Zye will give— as if letting go is the worst thing in the world.

It’s when she grins up at him that he feels it. Her hand slips into his jacket pocket as she whispers up at him. “Just a little something in case you need extra. I grabbed a few of my best guesses, no offense.”

He’s pretty sure he knows what she just slipped into his pocket. What she doesn’t know is in his other pocket he’s already prepared a few of them himself since he’s unsure of the etiquette for this world. Only what Shae has off-handedly mentioned.

Kass pulls away and starts for the door. “Hurry up, Shae, I have to get back.”

Zye scoots over and tugs Jace down onto the couch once Shae is up. The blond is already moving to help Kass back out. Something which Shae whines about.

“Why don’t you stay? We’re just gonna watch the movie you gave her. And those two idiots are leaving.”

“You know full well I don’t leave for long while we’re open for business. Now come on, I’d like to get out of this stuffy jacket soon.”

Escorting Kass back out, Shae holds onto her the entire time to make sure she’s safe. It leaves the three of them alone for a moment. At least, until Zye stands up when he realizes he forgot to pack an overnight bag. If Jace plans to kidnap him for that long he should at least have a clean change of clothes.

“I’ll be right back.”

Callua glances over to Jace the second their friend is out of the room. “Did you get everything taken care of?”

“I did, thank you. I feel like I still got the better side of the deal. If there’s anything—”

“I got to spend all day here with two of my favorite people while you worked your ass off. I think I came out ahead. Well maybe. Getting laid sounds nice, too.”

Jace cuts his eyes away at that. “What are your plans for the night?”

“Offering me to join?” A bewildered gaze flicks toward her and it has Callua trying hard not to fall into a giggle fit. “I’m kidding. Besides, I’ll be here with Shae watching movies that you two weenies can’t handle.”

“I can handle them. I just don’t like them.”

Callua draws her legs up onto the couch with stocking-clad feet taking up much of the space between her and Jace. “Did you talk to any of the higher-ups about being unreachable?”

“They both know I’ll be unable to respond. Not that I’ll be open to receiving messages from them anyway.”

“Must be nice. A perk of being on a higher run of the ladder.” She says it dramatically with her arms stretching high up over her head before she curls up against the armrest. “Even ignoring me?”

“I’ll be here so if you really need me, call me like a normal person.”

“Ouch. Fine, fine I get it.” Callua tilts her head back at the sound of feet reentering the room. “Ready to go out on your date, princess?”

Zye sticks his tongue out at her as he passes by. He stops in front of Jace and knocks a knee against his. “Come on, we want to beat any traffic out there before it starts snowing again.”

“Are we taking your bike?”

“God, no. I don’t wanna die. Kass let me borrow her car as long as we don’t…anyway, let’s go.”

Callua can’t help but chuckle at that. She knows exactly what the older woman must have said. Jace, however, doesn’t bat an eye. He stands and grabs Zye’s hand. There’s only a single glance back at Callua— if only because Jace hates to leave her alone.

She rolls her eyes at him, “Go. Please, I’m getting cavities just looking at you two. Be sweet somewhere else.” When they turn to leave, she smiles. “And be safe.”

Zye gives a wave as they make for the door. “We will. Don’t eat too much junk food while I’m gone. And keep the drinking to a minimum, you know how Shae gets.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

Into their shoes and out the door, Zye doesn’t let go of Jace’s hand until they’re at the car. It’s only then that Jace lets go so that he can pull out a piece of paper that he wrote on. Holding it out to Zye, he realizes he could have waited until they were in the warmth of the vehicle.

“This is where you can take us then.”

Zye opens the car door so that the light clicks on while throwing his bag into the back seat. Enough that he can read the elegant script across the paper. He knows exactly where that is and what kind of fancy hotel it’s been deemed as. Part of him can’t believe Jace got a room there for them. Another absolutely can believe it and he can’t wait to get there.

0