Chapter 20
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Returning to Solis is steadily becoming the one thing that Jace doesn’t care to do. It’s not that he dislikes the realm. Simply, there are people there that he doesn’t care to run into— those being the ones ordering him around. The Dark Stars below him he doesn’t mind, he’s eager to help them should they call out to him.

But that’s not why he’s back today.

Leaving his bedroom, he lets his gaze sweep through the large room. It’s completely empty. Always has been. There’s only three other doors and the top of the winding staircase that will take him back to the main floor. It’s just a set of plain white walls and dark brown wood for the floor.

Jace tugs the coat Zye gave him over his shoulders as he lets his door close behind him. It gives him the tiniest bit of comfort while he’s in such a sticky situation. One that can only get worse when he reaches the door to the right and closest to his at that.

He knows it’s hers because of the symbol etched into the thick surface; a circle with a lightning bolt through it. The fact that it faintly glows a soft yellow against the dark wood tells him she’s inside.

Striding up to it, he gives a small knock on the door. It opens and he’s greeted with the sight of her Mark. It’s even taller than Jace and even towers over him. On its left hand, he sees the same symbol that was on the door— a bright yellow that can hardly be seen against the pure white of its body.

It steps aside and allows him to walk in. Once he has, the door is shut and the Mark simply stands there. Waiting for its next order. Otherwise, Jace continues into the small sitting room. Charmilla is already seated on the half-circle of a couch. Her off-white dress is bright compared to the deep purple of the cushions.

The papers in her hands are sat on the table when Jace comes to stand opposite of her. He takes a tentative seat, a bit unsure if he wants to commit to staying for very long. Not when he doesn’t care to be in her room, to begin with.

There’s not much to it. Four plain white walls that meets matching carpet that’s as soft as can be. The only thing between them is the black trim that seemingly shimmers beneath the bright glow in the ceiling. An open doorway, covered by black drapery, to the left he can only assume leads to her bedroom and cleansing chamber.

Charmilla folds her hands on her lap. “Thank you for coming so quickly.”

“Sorry I couldn’t come sooner. The Surge has made a few moves and the activity is spiking in certain areas that are dense in Nether.”

“Is that so? And how are all the little ones handling it?”

The nickname for Stars and Dark Stars alike reminds him of who he’s speaking to. She’s kinder than the others. At least, he hopes that remains true.

“The Surge is poking around and stressing them out. Some have said they don’t even feel safe coming home to cleanse.”

“Ah…that’s not good.”

“Do you have a plan?”

Charmilla shakes her head. The jewels dangling from her horns jingle with each movement. “There’s not much I can do at the moment. I can barely keep up with Kerse’s half-hearted flings into work. However, Hax doesn’t seem to be leaving at all. He’s either in his room or helping train the stars.”

“We need to do something, Charm.”

“No. I can’t risk losing an advantage we have.”

“I understand, but people are getting hurt. Teams are getting overwhelmed by Nether and the Surge. It’s only a matter of time before—”

“And what have you been up to?” Her head tilts up ever-so-slightly with eyes questioning him far more than her words ever could. “You never came to see me. Your reports come in, but they’re no different than those I’d get from a normal little star.”

“I—”

“I’ve been informed you’ve been frequenting one place in particular.”

Jace keeps his lips sealed. It’s better not to react at all around her. If he gives her an inch, she’ll take a mile. Especially when he doesn’t dare to ask for the truth. There’s only one way she’d know that and it’s if Callua’s told her more about their time there. Or Charmilla had him followed. And he’s betting on the latter.

“I’ve been keeping busy. The Nether in that world are more concentrated than they should be.”

Sitting up straight, she smooths long fingers out over her legs until they settle on her knees. “That isn’t your job nor is it what I asked you to do.”

“You just admitted he’s staying here. Hax hasn’t made any moves. I can’t waste my time babysitting him when others need me.”

They both know they’re not fooling anyone. Worse yet, Jace knows he can’t push the matter. Certainly not while he’s in her domain. All he can do is stand and give a short bow.

“Apologies.”

She watches him step around the side of the couch in an attempt to slip away. “Jace,” she starts and doesn’t continue until he turns back to her. “I’ll only warn you once. Do not commit more time there. You don’t belong there.”

“Understood.”

Leaving the room, he’s starting to realize she’s always been like this. He just never saw it. He was too busy following her every word that forbade him from doing this or that. Except, these good intentions are only pushing him further away. So far that he makes his way down the winding staircase in quite a hurry.

The white stairs lead him down to the main floor. It’s identical to the second save for the fact that it’s much larger. Far off on the opposite side of the room is a gathering area. Chairs and a few couches are set around a table for those that don’t care to go into a room just yet.

In fact, there’s quite a few lounging there having a conversation. One that Jace doesn’t care to listen in on. He heads straight for the door just past them. If anything, he does make eye contact and give a nod to them. Most return the acknowledgment before he opens the door.

The opaque doorway shimmers as he steps through into another space. It’s far different than the others. This one is impossibly extensive with swaths of stars training and testing their abilities. The ground itself changes from a cement base to other types the further out one goes; grass, sand, rock, and even a lake. All accompanied by the brilliant light of the sun shining down on it.

But that’s not why he’s here. It’s for the man that’s standing off to the side under the shade of an overhang, one that stretches along the wall the door is on. Jace strides over to him while trying to keep his face as emotionless as possible.

Hax feels his energy far before he sees him. Arms crossed over his chest, he glances over at Jace. “And what do I owe the pleasure?”

“I had to come cleanse.”

“Ah, is that the only time you come home now?” He chuckles to himself. “I hope you didn’t run into Charm. She’s been in a rather foul mood lately.”

“I did.”

“Unfortunate for you. Safe to say you’re not the only one she tore into. Did she find out about your time with the mortals?”

Jace doesn’t answer. He doesn’t have to.

“Then let me do you a favor.”

“Pardon?”

“I’ll cover for you. All you have to do is ask when you need it.”

Jace’s head is spinning. Hax is offering to help him? While he’s never been hard on him or rude, even during training, Jace is still stunned. He didn’t think he’d ever see the day come. Then again, Hax does seem to be the most understanding for whatever reason. Perhaps he can use this to his advantage, but not now.

“I can handle it.”

Hax spares an arm to wave his hand. “The offer still stands. Meanwhile, I do have a few things for you to look into when you have time. They don’t need to be done anytime soon.”

“I can do it today.”

“Oh, lucky me. Then follow me back upstairs where we can talk in private. I have to hurry, though, I have somewhere to be today.”

Jace eagerly follows after him. He’ll take anything to prove to Charmilla that he’s doing what he’s been tasked with. He can figure out what Hax is planning while still making time for his friends. It just means he has to sacrifice one day away from them to make some progress.

________________________

On the other hand, Zye is more than happy to have a day off. There’s a bit of sadness at the thought no one else is free. Sometimes it feels like he’s wasting the chance to be with everyone and make the most out of his days. Not that he minds getting the opportunity to run his errands and return to an empty house either. It’s a double-edged sword.

Zye still hurries through running to get his and Shae’s medicine. Not to mention a quick jog into the corner store for some bread. It doesn’t take very long thanks to not many people being out and about on a weekday. That and there’s only the brisk cold with a lack of snow the last couple of days.

It makes the walk back home more enjoyable. Especially since he’s feeling like a brand new man today. Getting some exercise is the best way to take advantage of feeling better. At least, that’s what he thinks until he sees something crossing the street that he’s coming up to.

The only other person making their way across the road doesn’t see what Zye sees. Maybe that’s why when they meet eyes, Zye tries not to care about the confusion on their face. Because he’s not staring at them, he’s staring at the inky black figure walking by their side.

He doesn’t care what it looks like to anyone around. He takes Jace’s one piece of advice to heart and quickens his pace. If there’s one thing he was warned about in great detail, it’s the ones that have a humanoid shape— just like that one.

What he doesn’t expect to see are the two long tendrils peeking out and hanging over broad shoulders. Worse yet are the blue “eyes” that he can swear are staring at him. A glance over his shoulder delivers the final nail in the coffin for his conviction to get away.

It’s moving and steadily picking up the pace to get to him.

Swallowing hard and gripping his bags tighter, Zye doesn’t hesitate in bolting forward. He sidesteps around a woman but doesn’t dare stop. There’s no way he’s waiting to find out if it’s really after him or not. He can only keep his shoes slapping the sidewalk as fast as possible.

The only downside is he glances back again to see if it’s still following. The second he does he ends up running straight into another person. Yet he doesn’t hit the ground as hard as he should, confusing him further as his mind spins to try and catch up.

The bag in his right-hand hits the ground, surely squishing the bread at least a little. The left wrist is caught in a gentle yet firm grip that keeps Zye from falling backward completely. Instead, he ends up on his butt with the man bending toward him in the process.

“Are you quite alright?”

He knows the voice without having to see the golden eye and long dark hair falling over his shoulder. Hax extends his other hand in hopes of helping him up. Taking it, Zye hoists himself to his feet and steps to the side. All so he can keep that thing in his line of sight should he need to run again.

“Uh, yeah. Sorry about that.”

“I’m the one that’s sorry, I wasn’t paying attention. I hope nothing got ruined.”

Zye only lets his eyes sweep over to Hax when he notices the Nether isn’t approaching him any further. It’s just standing there— watching. He’s even more surprised to see Hax in casual wear. Jeans and a beige sweater are vastly different compared to last time. Not to mention that his hair is left down, held together only by a long clip and brushed back over his shoulder.

“N-no that was my bad. I didn’t hurt you did I?”

“I’m sturdier than I look. Are you alright?” Hax smiles up at him. “If you’re in a hurry, I can offer you a ride.”

Another look back and he can confirm that the thing hasn’t moved. In fact, it almost seems like it’s backed away some. Whatever the reason, he’ll take the luck of the situation. The only problem is that the offer reminds him that he walked here. It’s still a good twenty-minute walk back. If he runs he can halve that.

“It’s fine. I’m fine. I do need to hurry home, though.”

Hax shakes his head and pulls out his phone. “If that’s the case, I insist. My driver should be nearby.”

Zye doesn’t get a chance to argue. Hax is already pocketing the device and looking past Zye toward where the car should be coming from.

“It should just be a minute. Are you sure you’re alright?”

“Thanks for that,” he replies slowly. It’s always strange running into Hax— as if it feels like it’s supposed to happen. “Yeah, I just need to get home.”

A moment later and Zye isn’t shocked in the slightest to see the nice car that pulls up. It’s nothing overtly fancy or ritzy. But it is a rather shiny black polish that’s far roomier looking than Shae’s truck.

Hax opens the rear door, “However, we really should stop running into each other like this.”

"How else am I supposed to find you?” Zye quips back while slipping onto the backseat.

He leans forward between the seats and gives the driver his address. As he does, Hax slips in behind Zye and shuts the door. Sitting, Zye sets the bags on the floorboard and buckles himself in.

“Thanks for the ride. Didn’t mean to put you out.”

“You’re welcome. It’s not, I don’t mind. There’s nothing else in my schedule today.”

For a moment, silence settles in. It’s not uncomfortable. Quite the opposite. It always surprises Zye how comfortable he is around this man. Confusing yet comfortable. Perhaps it helps that Hax always seems to smile at him when he speaks.

“Tell me, have you taken what I said to heart? Are you living?”

Zye scoffs at that, “Best I can.”

“Good. I take it you’ve found something to hold onto then. That’s good news.”

“Yeah…I guess I have?”

Hax gives a hum of thought. “I have to commend you. You’re far stronger than most. There’s plenty of people who would have given up already.”

The tone is so light, almost playful, that Zye glances at Hax. “Are you picking on me? ‘Cause I can walk the rest of the way.”

“How cute. I wouldn’t dare pick a fight with someone as strong as you.” Hax replies with a light chuckle. “No, no, I’m being honest.”

Thinking of a way to way to reply, Zye doesn’t get a chance. His phone pings and he quickly fishes for it. Unclipping it from his belt, Zye flicks the screen on just as the car makes a turn. The back tire, specifically on Zye’s side, catches the curb. It has him jostling to the point where he loses grip on the phone.

Zye tries to catch it and misses only because the seatbelt yanks him back against the seat. The device hits the floor and slides over to Hax’s feet. The man waits a minute for the car to right itself before reaching down. It’s not hard for him to notice the name at the top of the message list.

Jace.

Hax scoops it up and hands it to Zye as the car begins to slow to a stop. “I’m glad it didn’t break. It can be expensive to replace them.”

“Yeah. Thanks.”

The driver puts the car into park. “We’re here. Apologies for that.”

Zye unbuckles himself and opens the door. He’s quick to realize that he’ll have to walk around the car from how they pulled up. He really should have gotten in on the other side. Just about to slide off the seat, Zye pauses when Hax speaks back up.

“Be careful next time. It’s dangerous, even in the daylight these days.”

It confuses him for a moment. Except it’s not hard to brush off. Cryptic but kind words from an equally cryptic and kind man. Zye just wants to get inside, anything that stops him at this point is just annoying.

“Thanks again for the ride.”

“You’re very welcome.”

The door shuts, as gently as Zye can do, before he walks around the front of the car. Stepping up onto the sidewalk, Zye doesn’t get very far before he hears the window sliding down.

“Oh, Zye?”

Zye half-turns to see Hax wiggling a finger at him to come back. He can’t help but roll his eyes and do just that. Coming up to the car, he doesn’t expect Hax to grab his wrist. The touch is surprisingly gentle and feather-light. Comforting, even.

His fingers brush upwards until he’s cupping Zye’s palm in his. Hax’s other hand places a rectangular business card in Zye’s hand. As he does, he curls Zye’s fingers over it with his own over them. He tilts his head enough to show both of his golden eyes and the smile beneath them.

“In case you do get in trouble. Call me.”

“Thanks…I mean, I can usually handle myself, but I appreciate it.”

Part of Zye wants to pull away immediately. The hands on his are so tender and warm. The fact that he’s not yanking his hand away has Hax’s expression softening. It means he takes the initiative and slowly retreats back into the inside of the car.

“And, Zye?”

“Hm?”

“You should smile more.”

He’s taking a step back onto the sidewalk. The window is rolling up. The car is pulling out and returns to the road. Yet the words sound like thunder in his ears. It rips through him like a bolt of lightning and tears him asunder. He can’t even feel the bags in his other hand. Not when he feels like he’s sinking into the ground.

Those words have him stumbling back as he tries to shake it. The weight in his hand is immeasurable. He’s taking a shallow breath as he turns around, trying so hard not to think of those words. The very same things he heard in his head oh so long ago.

It brings back to the forefront of his mind the dreams— the visions— the things that have him on edge and exhausted just remembering.

It makes him not want to go inside. He doesn’t want to be alone. He doesn’t want to think about why those words fill him with an emotion he can’t place.

0