Chapter 59
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For now, Zye knows it’ll never not feel weird to wake up in a place like this. Things are starting to make sense and yet they’re so strange and otherworldly. Still, having an embrace to wake up in certainly helps ease any nervous thoughts that barrage his brain the second he does.

He’s never been one to want to cuddle as he sleeps. Nor to be so close that it feels like he’s suffocating against another person. Yet, this feels right. It’s warm and comforting and being able to hold Jace a bit tighter makes it all the better.

Doing so has the man burying his face against Zye’s chest. Except while Zye’s taking in the peace and quiet, there’s a loud voice that pierces through his mind.

Callua’s frantic messages hit him all at the same time in a never-ending cascade of worry.

Zye groans as he pats Jace’s shoulder, intending to make sure that he’s awake. In fact, he has been the entire time. He’s simply been enjoying the chance to cuddle without fear of being interrupted…yet.

“What’s wrong?”

“Can I put these things on hold? Like, I can send these people to voice-mail?”

Jace slowly lifts his head, pulling away enough to look up at his boyfriend. “I have no idea what that is. You can access them when you wish to. Charm described it as everything is energy and it’s up to you when you wish to accept someone else’s.”

“So…I just think about it?”

“Much like anything you do now.”

“That’s really annoying. It’s making me miss my phone. What if I could think of a device that would do that for me?”

Jace smiles at that, clearly charmed by the way Zye is attempting to work around this. “How would you power it?”

“With…me?”

“I don’t see why not. Those are all things you can talk to Celeste or Orion about. I would have no idea.”

Zye huffs at that. “This is starting to sound like a lot of work.”

“It is. You’re responsible for quite a lot now.”

“But…you’ll be there to help, right?”

Jace gives him a small squeeze. His fingertips trace along Zye’s spine, feeling every notch. “Of course, as long as you’ll have me.”

“By the way, how long did it take you to get used to the day and night cycles here?” he asks with a groan.

“I never truly have. You generally wake up once your soul is rested and healed. Or if someone wakes you up.”

“Huh…I bet you sleep like a rock after you push yourself for God only knows how many real days.”

Jace chuckles, “I won’t deny it.”

Zye rolls out of Jace’s arms and on top of him. Pleased with himself, he gives Jace a kiss much like a butterfly on a flower’s petal. It’s gone before it’s even there. It’s a tease considering he could have gotten out of the bed on his side.

Catching him, Jace wraps his arms tightly around Zye’s waist and holds him there. It has Zye giving a small hum. There’s a whimsical look in those silver eyes that catches him off guard.

“Everything okay in that head of yours?”

“I’m fine. I’m…soaking it in.”

“Soaking what in?”

“What it would be like to wake up here with you every day.”

Zye doesn’t know what to say at first. He can only stare into the honest gaze before him. The flush slowly creeps across his face until it’s a red burning on his cheeks.

“You— Ah! Dammit, Jay. That’s way too cute. Come on, at least do it when I can stay in bed with you.”

“You seem to like it either way.”

Zye shimmies out of Jace’s grasp and off the bed. Immediately, he begins looking for his clothes. “That doesn’t count. I like everything you do. You could spank me and I’d probably like it.”

Slowly sitting up, Jace lets the blanket pool around his waist. “Is that something you’d like to try?”

“I…I’m…” Zye pauses briefly before hurriedly stepping into his underwear. “I’m not talking about this right now. We have to get back.”

Now you want to hurry.”

Zye strides back over to the bed as Jace swings his legs over the side. The second he does, Zye is between them. He smiles down at Jace while cupping that strong jaw in his hands.

“Okay, you only tease me that bad when you want something.”

Jace nuzzles against Zye’s hands. “I think I’m looking forward to some normalcy. I do want you to know that I feel like I can depend on you. I hope you feel the same.”

“Of course I do! Besides, you’re the most reliable person I know. Now come on, before Callua loses her mind.”

Zye pulls away and stretches. As he does, Jace finally stands to call for his Mark. It only takes him a moment to ask it to create fresh clothing for him. He glances over his shoulder once he has, noticing the way Zye moves.

“Everything alright?”

“Just a little ache.”

“You should have stayed in the water longer.”

“Yeah, if I did that we wouldn’t have stopped. I might as well had been a starving man with free access to an all I could eat buffet.”

Jace chuckles at that, “Then I’m glad I held back, seeing as I lost the bet.”

Zye, fully dressed, spins around with a hand in his pocket. “Really? Then I better get the full thing when this is over as my welcome gift to being an Infernal.”

“If that’s what you want, I’ll make it happen.”

Jace is swift in getting dressed. Once he has, he strides over to where Zye has grabbed his coat. He’s silent, happily so, as Zye places the coat over his shoulders and settles the clasp in place. The way those fingers work so diligently to adjust his shirt collar or spread out the wrinkles has Jace more than delighted.

He catches Zye’s wrist as the man goes to pull away. Drawing it close, he places a kiss on Zye’s wrist. Moving from there he leaves another on Zye’s palm.

Sighing softly, Zye takes his hand away and cups it to Jace’s cheek. “Stop or I won’t want to leave more than I already don’t.”

When Jace retreats a step back, he pushes Zye’s hand away as well. Doing so allows him to brush his fingers over Zye’s before parting completely. It’s moments like these that have Zye’s shoulders feeling lighter and his chest tighter.

He really does like this man, so much. He’d even dare to upgrade that like to the bigger ‘L’ word. The nerves keep him from doing so considering he falls too hard, too fast at times. It’s hard not to when it seems to be so easy with Jace.

The only other person that’s ever been easy to be around is Callua. Someone he doesn’t dare take for granted even more so than Jace.

Perhaps that is why he idles. There are so many things he wants to say. So many things he needs to say. It all culminates into one.

“Have I ever told you thank you?”

Jace meets his gaze with a smile. “You don’t need to.”

“Then how about how lucky I am to have met you? Especially when I don’t really believe in luck.”

“I thought I was the ‘cheesy’ one.”

Zye steps forward. His hands grasp at either side of the cloak. “I mean it. You’re such a good person. And on top of it, you act like I’m a princess half the time— which you don’t have to. I can take it a lot.” Zye takes a deep breath. “You treat everyone with the same respect. You’re also a gentleman and a kind one at that. And I really like you.”

The soft whisper of his name on Jace’s lips is squashed as he surges forward. Zye simply can’t help himself. The urge— the desire— to show this man how much he loves him is far too great. He wants this relationship to be serious— to not ever end. Even caught up in this whirlwind, he has something and he knows how lucky he is to have it.

Pulling away, Zye clears his throat and smooths out the coat from where he clung to it. All until he holds out his hand for Jace to take. And take it, he does.

“So, let’s go?”

“Together. To the cabin where Ilista says she’s left a portal for us to get to Noctis.”

Zye turns, still clutching Jace’s hand, as Jace calls forth the swirls of energy. The brightest colors of a sunrise he’s ever seen. It’s a quick strut through that one, to the blinding afternoon sun bearing down on the cabin, and then through the portal of purples and blues.

All to get to Noctis where Ilista and Callua are standing in front of the staircase, waiting for them.

Ilista is the first to greet them. “Perfect timing. Everyone should be up there already. Just missing you two lovebirds.”

Ilista is already turning towards the railing when Jace meets Callua’s tangerine-colored gaze. “Is everything alright?”

“I should be asking you that!”

“Everything is—”

Callua immediately cuts him off. “I swear to the Gods, I will ask Zye and I know he won’t lie to me.”

Feeling her gaze on him, Zye shrugs it off. “It wasn’t fine, but it is now.”

Ilista waves her hand at them. “Come on you three, let’s go. You can have the spat later.”

She starts up the stairs with Zye following close behind her. Before Jace can do the same, Callua steps in his way with her hand pressing against his chest.

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

Gingerly, he takes hold of her hand in his and urges it away. “Yes, and you’d be happy to know I even got a nap in.”

“I guess…I can be satisfied with that.”

“Then let’s hurry and join them so we can get things settled.”

“In a hurry, huh? Want to go on a date that bad with that one?”

The teasing tone doesn’t go unnoticed. Yet, he smiles sweetly at her. “That and so I can enjoy the days we have together instead of worrying I’m going to lose him or you.”

Flushing a dark crimson, Callua shakes her hand from his and lightly slaps him on the arm. Storming up the stairs, she gives him a glare that lacks all of the venom one should have.

“Idiot, you can talk to him like that and turn him into mush, but not me. Watch yourself, if you go in over your head again I’ll have to find a way to punish you.”

Chuckling as she storms up the stairs, Jace can only shake his head. Between the two of them, they truly are so lively. It’s hard for him to find any reason to leave this life now. He’ll hang on with his teeth if he has to. There’s no way he’s losing anyone throughout the end of this conflict.

And that includes himself.

Jace follows her up the stairs. Upon arriving in Celeste’s room, he notices that everyone is, in fact, already there. Much like the last time, one couch has Aster, Ilista, and Iris. The other is where Jace takes his spot between Zye and Callua.

In addition to the chairs where Orion and Celeste sit, there are two more beside the couch with Ilista on it. There is Vespera, appearing healed and ready to go, and Xerxes. Once Jace takes his seat, Orion speaks up.

“Callua, we’ve been told you escorted those that don’t have allegiance with Daichi or Soren to safety?”

“I did. They’ve found a world to station in until it’s safe thanks to Jace and Gray’s help. They don’t trust anyone even here. It’s possible Soren could send in others into the realms. We need to be careful.”

Celeste nods. “While I believe it unlikely, it’s not impossible. I think we can all understand the need for safety considering he’s done it before in some regard.”

Orion glances over at Celeste. The memory of what happened to them has his lips drawing into a thin line. “I don’t believe attempting something like that will benefit him. If his ranks suffer due to failed assassinations against others or us, he’d be back at square one.”

“The only thing Soren cares about is his end game.” All eyes shift to Jace as he speaks up. “I believe he also has another blessed tool. It looked out of place on Ayre’s outfit.”

Clapping their hands together, Celeste rises from the chair. They’re striding to the doors of their cleansing room before anyone can object.

“It’s a good thing we have someone who should be able to tell us if you’re correct.”

They open one door and poke their head inside. A second later and they’re standing up straight and holding it so that Sigil can come out. She looks vastly different now that she’s not in whatever Vespera could find for her in the moment.

Her dark hair is cut short on the left with longer bangs swept to the right. From there she’s dressed up in a pair of cerulean pajamas with small llamas printed across the material in a mismatched pattern. Over it, she tightens the thin, yellow robe around her body.

Celeste places a hand on Sigil’s shoulder and guides her to where they are all sitting. There, Celeste urges Sigil to take the chair they were using prior.

“Xerxes spent some time here with us while he was mortal. Seeing as he felt fine, at least for the time being, I figured it’d be best to keep her close to me so I can monitor her vitals. Otherwise, we’ll personally escort and keep watch over her.”

Jace leans forward, elbows on his knees. His gaze settles on Sigil with a soft expression. “I’m really sorry about that. It had to be scary to have to go through.”

“It’s…okay. I’m okay.”

“Do you mind if I ask you a question about the items your family makes?” He waits for her to nod before continuing. “Can you tell me if you or one of your ancestors made something that looked like a butterfly? I believe you’d be able to clip it onto something.”

Sigil doesn’t hesitate. “My father did. It was the last pair he made, but only because Hax asked him to make the one you’re wearing. And since they’re always in pairs, he made the broach as well.”

“Anything you can tell us about it?”

“We make them with our energy. It’s a type of manifesting and channeling it into an object. Which is why it reduces our life. Those two were…hard for my father to do. The jewel conceals a presence and the broach extends it.”

Jace sits back. “When you say it extends it, what does that mean?”

“It will make it where even those that normally wouldn’t feel or see the person wearing it be able to. Um…any tools my family has created, Hax brought to me to destroy. Other than that I don’t know anything else. We didn’t keep records.”

She seems to think for a moment before glancing up at Celeste and then back to Jace. “Soren still has the ring to go to the choker. He wanted it to be able to absorb…the opposite of you all.”

Orion cuts in with a glance at her. The look in his eyes is soft, kind even, as he regards her. “That’s alright. On to Kerse, we need to formulate a proper strategy.”

“Do all of us really have to be here for this?” Aster says with a huff. “Aren’t the four of you going to figure it out? Could just relay it to us later.”

Vespera is quick to agree. “As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Aster. We should continue our focus on our usual jobs as well as locating Surge members.”

“Fair enough,” Celeste replies with a hand on the chair Sigil resides in. “Anyone who believes they’re better off in the field at this moment is free to leave. If you have something to add, you’re welcome to now or later.”

And yet no one moves. Not with the look Orion gives the two of them. They settle back into their seats and wait for the next person to speak. When no one does at first, Orion takes the mantel. He turns his attention to Jace in particular.

“We need a solid team to handle Kerse. Especially if she’s bringing others with her.”

“Kerse would rather fight us herself.”

“I agree, however, I don’t think Soren will.”

“Unless he’s distracted and doesn’t have a choice.”

Orion hums at that. “You mean to split our force into two.”

“As well as theirs. A small team can move to mount an attack on their base while the remainder of us can handle Kerse. Even if he comes with her, he’d be called back thinking she’d be able to handle it. We’d need to make sure not all of us are detected at the start.”

“In that case, it’s obvious who should be on what team.”

Ilista groans at them both and falls back against the cushion rather dramatically. “You two are so annoying. Just spell it out.”

Giggling, Celeste gestures as they speak. “Ilista, you’ll lead the team that will go to Soren. Xerxes, Iris, Aster, and Vespera will go with you. If it helps, Orion and I can always make an appearance if Soren doesn’t believe it’s enough to leave Kerse alone.”

“If needed,” interjects Callua, “I can contact Livi and see if any of hers are willing to go with them. Adrian might be as well, he’d be good on surveillance.”

“Him?” asks Aster. “I doubt he’ll say yes.”

“He will if I ask him to.”

The look they exchange has Aster giving a nod. He’s impressed, to say the least. That out of the way, Orion speaks up once more.

“The rest of us will lure Kerse away to a world with or about to experience a solar eclipse. That way, Celeste and I will be able to stand at her level.”

Listening to it all happen, Zye is able to keep up. It’s certainly not because he can’t that he sinks against the cushions. Planning makes him anxious and nervous. Considering he doesn’t feel like he’ll be able to help as much, he wonders if he can sneak in more training.

“When are we setting this in motion?” he asks.

Orion sighs and it reminds Zye that it’s never that easy. Also that Orion seems to be able to figure out why he’s asking. “We need to find a location. The second we know, we’ll push this into motion. Until then, continue your training.”

“Easy for you to say.”

“Celeste and I will both come to see you for further instruction.”

“Come on, I’ll go crazy if you just lock me up to run drills. I do better out in the field.”

“He’s right,” interjects Ilista. “Let me have him for a mission to warm up and then he’s yours.”

“Fine. Otherwise, if there are any who wish to go with you all to confront Soren, take them. Just remember you are a distraction. If you can apprehend the two he keeps at his side, or him, then fine. But don’t get in over your head.”

Celeste nods their approval. “We’re counting on you until we give the signal that Kerse has been subdued. Feel free to return to your missions until further notice.”

Seeing as the meeting is over, Ilista is up off the couch. The second she is, so is Xerxes. She glances over at Zye. “Come on, let’s go.”

Zye pats Jace’s thigh as he stands. “I’ll let ya know when I get back.”

“Would you like me to wait for you here?” he asks while catching Zye’s wrist.

The grip is loose and gentle. Those fingers drag down over Zye’s. To which the latter curls his fingertips against Jace’s.

“Sure, if you want. If we take too long I’ll meet you back at the cabin.”

Jace watches as the three of them leave. As they are, Iris is rising as well. She smiles at Sigil and the two of them begin to leave the room. Vespera, unable to decline as Iris grabs her hand, is tugged along with them.

Once they have, Callua breaks the silence. “Any ideas on the location?”

“No…” Orion reaches up, dragging a hand up over his face to rub at the bridge of his nose. “We have no leads. Scouting will take time…time I’m not sure we have.”

“Then let me make a suggestion. How do you know when an eclipse is coming?”

Celeste perks up at that. “We can feel it. The energy in the world feels as though we can touch it. Our full power becomes harder to hold in as if it’s overflowing.”

“I can narrow it down.” Callua shifts, relaxing against the arm of the couch. “I have plenty of people that are based all over. All they have to do is ask or find a way to look into it where they are. Then, if one is soon either Celeste or Orion can verify it by visiting.”

“That’s true. If we do that we should be able to find a suitable realm in no time.”

“Except,” Orion cuts in, “you can only involve those that you trust won’t take that information back to Soren.”

Callua smiles sweetly at him. “I surround myself with people I can trust. If you’re that worried, Aster and I could handle it find ourselves.”

“I would prefer if this stayed close to our core group, yes.”

Realizing what’s happening, Aster tries not to let the displeasure show on his face. Even if it doesn’t, it wouldn’t matter. This is why he stands and gestures for Callua to follow. Might as well get it over with.

“Then let’s get started so we can finish.”

Callua shrugs as she follows his lead. Only for Jace to catch her attention with a small wave of his hand.

“Cal, look for somewhere that would better suit our powers if you can. Nowhere with a lot of water seeing as she can use lightning magic now.”

A moment passes before the three of them are left alone. Once they are, Orion levels his eyes at Jace. Celeste, meanwhile, takes a seat on the couch opposite of him. They relax with their feet kicking up onto the table between them all.

“Is he still in contact with Hax?”

“As far as I know, yes.”

“And you’re sure Hax can’t interfere with what we’re going to do?”

Jace glances away and then back at them both in turn. “If we go in trying to ‘kill’ her, so to speak, I believe he would interfere.”

Celeste hums softly. “I agree. He was always more fond of her than the rest of us. Well, aside from Haru.”

“When I ran into her, she seemed highly unstable. If she hasn’t been cleansing since before Charm was taken out then we’ll have to be careful. Her powers are erratic.”

“Then tell us everything she did and how it felt, from the beginning.”

Jace nods and waits for the two of them to get comfortable. Recounting the ordeal isn’t any different than running back through it again prior to getting here.

Charmilla always did tell him that Kerse put forth everything into what she believed in— into what she was doing. It’s more than likely any sense in her is held underneath the overwhelming pile of emotion she’s going through. Something that will only advance the condition she’s put herself in.

He’s worried for her and can only hope they aren’t too late.

0