Chapter 8: Parents Who Raised Me, Parents Who Birthed Me
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Do you...know how much I am thinking about you?" Howell's mother said while her eyes sparkled with tears.

"I am sorry. I am sorry." Howell could only lower his head because the only one who was wrong in this case was him and him alone. His whole body trembled as he felt totally uncomfortable at the thought that his parents constantly thought about his situation and condition.

It was similar to how he thought about Little Red as she had undergone her Idle Training. He was nervous and restless during that time but stayed calm and frosty since the narrative text helped him tell about Little Red.

What about his parents? They did not even know his news for a whole year! Their hearts were probably on the brink of collapse from concern alone.

 

Howell knew what to do. He could only hug his mother despite his height difference. He was taller than his mother but he lowered himself so that his mother could hug him with ease.

Little Red changed her position a bit as the transparent plastic box was placed down when Howell went forward and did all that.

Howell wrapped his arms around his mother's body and gave her a soft but firm hug. Then he felt the pat on his shoulder and the rubbing of his blond hair.

"Howell, you should at least try to contact us. Your father maybe are more calm but if it were not for my persuasion, he would have gone to downtown himself despite his load of work."

"Is that...so?" in front of his parents, Howell was just their child and he did not have the thought to act unfilial.

His mother's name was Martha. Everyone in the neighborhood had known about her ever since his family moved here. Even though it was said that this place was the outskirts of Bethlen City, but in fact it was almost twenty kilometers from the center of the city. Add to the fact that the family was a new addition who bought the house slightly more expensive than the market price.

And at that time Martha was the most beautiful woman in the neighborhood while her husband was rumored to be someone important...

 

"Come in. We can talk about what happened during that time slowly. You came as I finished lunch so I guess I can add extra." Martha remembered and then went to the kitchen while Howell placed the transparent box on the side of a large chair while Little Red slithered around it.

And just after they did that, a small bird came to them. Howell realized that this was one of his mother's beast companions. He extended his hand as the bird landed on his arm. He caressed the bird's soft feather as his hand felt its origin energy inside was stronger than the last time he remembered.

'Well, remember that talk Little Red?' Howell was transmitting his thought to Little Red.

'You told me that my Beast Taming Symbol Pact is different. That my pact means something much more deeper than what is available to the masses. My answer is...I am fine with that.'

'But Master, you cannot use that symbol when you want to form a temporary pact with other beasts. You have to at least think about one alternative symbol.' Little Red told Howell on the way to his parent's house about the symbol pact Howell had used on her and Carmen was different in its meaning.

'Yes. I will think about it.' Howell knew that what Little Red said was right. He had to at least learn another Beast Taming Symbol Pact to make a difference in his relationship. But he did not want to rush things and the purpose of returning to his parent's house was for him to relax and discuss about the circumstances of his birth.

Little Red understood what Howell thought and felt so she relented. After that, Howell was served with mushroom gratin and he had to admit that was one of his favorite food. The bird then flew to Martha's shoulder when she came to the dining room.

"Is that your beast companion?" Martha finally saw Little Red slithering out from Howell's left arm to the table. Little Red was in her snake form and she understood that the one in front of her was Howell's parent who raised him up.

"Ah, yes. She is the first beast that the school provides to the freshmen free of charge. Well, we did the taming pact on the Beast Tamer Association though..." Howell slurped his lunch with delight as he told Martha his story from the point where he was still a first-year student.

 

As he did that, Martha also gave some portion of wildbeast meatball to Little Red. It had been mixed with several herbs that reinforced each other, increasing its potency. Little Red then swallowed it whole and done with it as she returned to Howell's arm and rested there.

The bird chirped happily when it felt its master happy mood and Martha stroked its head while giving it some seeds that had a faint origin energy.

 

-

 

Then Howell kept telling Martha about his difficulties in gaining extra income so he had a part-time job. Before he knew it, he was used to getting part-time jobs.

"Mother, this is for you." Howell gave Martha a bag of something. But Martha could feel it, that bag was filled with Stella coins.

"Sweetie, you don't need to do this." Martha refused the coin bag but Howell's expression and eyes became determined. Even Little Red and Carmen felt the indomitable and unyielding emotion from their link with Howell.

"Mother, please accept it." Howell opened his mouth. His tone was not the one who forced someone but more like begging. He continued, "I know that Mother and Father had difficulties since before I entered Olive Highschool. That is why I keep searching and doing anything in my capability to help if possible. So, please. This is just a very small token of appreciation for what you do to me all this time."

 

Howell kept his arms extended. He truly wanted to give his mother these Stella coins to help them. Martha did not know what to say about this but she decided that it was better to accept it.

"Fine." Martha relented as she grabbed the coin bag and stored it in the usual cabinet where the family savings were located. She heaved a sigh of relief and frustration. She came back and accompanied Howell since she felt that Howell had something heavy to bear and there was something that he wanted to ask.

Because of that, time passed and the metal door opened as a middle-aged man entered the house.

"I heard that child is back." his voice was hoarse. Martha and Howell who were sitting in the living room discussing about something to relax the tense mood heard him. Howell realized that was the voice of his father.

To be honest, Howell was scared before he faced his parents. But he steeled himself. The worst thing that could happen was a few beatings...

But when he faced Martha and poured out all the vent-up emotion he had, He became lighter. Little Red knew that this was important and not disturb them as she and Carmen stayed at one corner in the living room.

 

The middle-aged man was accompanied by a wolf beast companion. Of course, the size was small but the wolf's power rank was at Bronze Rank. The wolf became wary of the newcomer, no it was not Howell since the wolf recognized the smell as its family. It was the presence of Little Red and Carmen whose power rank and potential surpassed it by so much.

It was in fear but for its master, it would still face them. Little Red did not want to be hostile and only wanted to know who the wolf should not mess up. She sent a message to calm the wolf down and the wolf was not on the highest degree of alert but kept his wariness. This was something Little Red wanted to see.

"Strange. Tamur is actually scared silly? Oh, so here you are." the wolf was the first to enter the living room and followed by Howell's father.

Howell made eye contact with his father and resolved himself. As the wolf kept staring at Little Red and Carmen at the corner, Howell was facing his father.

"Father..." Before Howell wanted to say something, his father opened his mouth first to tell something shocking.

"I heard from Jay that you are partaking in the construction site as a part-time job. Is that true?"

Howell could not deny it and he nodded quickly. He knew that Jay was the middle-aged man who was often offered him part-time job at the construction site. Howell did not expect that he would be acquaintance with his father.

"Why!?"

"Seth!" Martha was looking at his father sternly. Seth knew that something was going on and decided to take a step back. Then Martha's pointed look gave Seth a hint to take a seat. Only after spending a bit of explanation did he realize that Howell explained everything to Martha already.

"I did not know that Mister Jay is Father's acquaintance." Howell commented.

"We went a long way before we settled in Bethlen City," Seth said while reminiscing a bit about the certain memory. 

"I don't know why you involved yourself in such matters but please think about those who care about you," Seth said this after processing the entire story. 

 

Seth said this, especially after hearing Howell's story when he met with danger right in the downtown of Bethlen City. Even Seth who had lived in the outskirts had heard of the news. 

"I just want to make some friends at that time, really." Howell's justification was only that. And it was true that He and Jake became friends afterward. 

"But you had chosen to be involved when you could choose not to!" Seth's voice raised a bit but Howell could hear the worry it contained. 

"At that time, I had not known the matter would blow up so big that Beast Tamer Association would be involved." Howell was pinching his nose bridge when he thought about that time. 

"Please be done with this. It is about time we reconcile. Furthermore, it is almost dinner." Martha reminded and both the men understood the hint. 

 

It meant that Howell and Seth would help with making dinner. It was the usual activity for this family and they all enjoyed the process. 

Meanwhile, Little Red was assigning the information she had gathered about Howell and the Cerulean Planet she was in. 

She also discerned the wolf that stared at her and Carmen who was in the transparent box. 

'Why did you not tell him about his circumstances?' Carmen was surprised to know that Little Red could communicate with her in private without Howell knowing. 

'Some things had to be discovered with one's own capability and power. Furthermore, I cannot be there all the time for Master even if that thought irritated me! So we have to make Master stronger!'

'But Partner has the right to know! How can you conceal those from him!?' Carmen was confused and angry. 

'It is no use telling Master those. Just feel it, does Master want to do it given the current circumstances?' Little Red retorted. 

'It... takes time?' Carmen was intelligent despite its age which did not surpass two days. What she meant was that Howell needed some time to process everything he had encountered. 

It also meant that Little Red would tell Howell when he was ready to receive it. For now, they had to let Howell relax and had peace of mind. 

 

-

 

At night

 

Howell did not carry much since this place had also stored his clothes. Instead, he brought the transparent box to his bedroom first. 

Then he cleaned the room and the bed. Little Red was roaming around, feeling herself to be inside the room. It was different than receiving information in a sense like someone watching a movie. She experienced the sensation personally. 

As for Carmen, she ate some Freshing Mint Grass as well as Dako Candy. 

Freshing Mint Grass had the effect of reinforcing the eater's origin energy circulation and growth while Dako Candy improved the beast's innate qualities. 

Those were given by Martha and Seth. Howell sighed as he could not reject it. 

Because it was nighttime and Howell did not have the chance to use Beast Idle Training Dimension yesterday, he wanted to try using it now. 

 

"Preparation before 'that'. Little Red?"

"Master, the Concealment Array, Spatial Lockdown Ruler, and Isolation Barrier have been placed. I also added the decoy in case anyone probes Carmen for her existence." Little Red was still in her snake form since she had just finished her preparation. Then she changed to her human form and moved beside Howell. 

'Carmen. What you will experience is real but please try to get stronger. I don't care about the method but remember what you want to achieve, okay.' Howell transmitted his thoughts and emotions to Carmen. 

'Partner? What is this about?' Carmen had a bunch that Howell held some secrets but she could not exactly pinpoint what it was. Howell was placing Carmen on his right hand as he softly caressed her white jade body. 

Seeing that made Little Red pout and she hugged Howell's left arm. 

'Something that can help you.' Howell felt that soft sensation on his left arm but he still explained to Carmen while he used the system. 

 

[Beast Idle Training Dimension]

[Current Power: Conscript level 3]

[Current Tamed Beast Staying Period: 13 years]

[Select your Tamed Beast to be sent to the training dimension:

 

There were two pictures. One of them was a majestic head figure of his beast. It was Little Red in her true form, Crimson Dragon. 

The other was a small and cute caterpillar on the leaf. Its white jade body reflected the sunlight making it look regal. 

Howell chose the second picture and the presence and appearance of Carmen in Howell's hand grew faint before it disappeared. 

 

'Carmen, please remember what I said.' Little Red sent Carmen one last message before Carmen went there. 

Howell thought something else entirely. 

'If I think in a certain way, I am the parent for both Little Red and Carmen. Even if I am not giving birth to them, I am the one who raised them. The parents who birthed me and the parents who raised me...both of them are still my parents.' 

Howell understood this but he did not ponder about it consciously and some thoughts of doubt blinded him. Then he saw some familiar prompts. 

 

[Tip:

[!]

[Beast Idle Training Dimension's time flow is different than the host's. The above-mentioned time duration is in proportion to a day in this place. 24 hours here can be changed to 13 years if your beast is sent there]

[!]

[The tamed beast will be protected and will not die in the Idle Training Dimension]

[! 

[The Staying Period of the Tamed Beast increased in proportion to the host power rank]

 

And with that, Howell saw the familiar narrative text on the information panel in Beast Idle Training Dimension part. 

 

 

[Year 0, Month 1, Day 1

Carmen arrived at the lush rainforest. She did not have much offensive power so she found a stable and sustainable place for her to grow first after she arrived. 

She now understood Little Red's explanation and stories better. Her Partner's method was incredible. And with that, she began to... eat, grow her power and sleep. Rinse and repeat]

 

[Year 0, Month 1, Day 2

Carmen was comfortable living in this kind of environment. She could eat, grow and sleep for thirteen years before returning. So she would enjoy it and idle away... ]

 

Howell who saw that finally realized that Carmen was truly living up to the system's function to a tee. She was idling in contentment since she needed a lot of origin energy to not only grew stronger but also to prepare for her metamorphosis. This was what Carmen told him with their link. 

Howell kept looking at the narration text but it always gave similar news. Carmen was eating, growing her power rank, and storing some energy for her metamorphosis and sleep. Time passed and it was already a whole year and also two hours passed. 

Howell realized that it was time for him to sleep. Little Red was still beside him as she also watched the narration text. 

 

"Let's go sleep. I think Father mentioned about border patrol during dinner. Perhaps he wants to take us there." Howell remembered the matter and turned his head to look at Little Red. 

"Yes. I can sleep next to Master as usual..." Little Red was excited as placed the armaments to help conceal the events in the bedroom to be detected by anyone in the inconspicuous places while also temporarily embedded them in a different layer of space. 

And with that, Howell was once again accompanied by the human form Little Red on his bed. When this happened, Howell always thought that cute snake that coiled around his left arm. 

But it was harder than he initially thought since he was starting to get conscious that Little Red had the appearance of a beautiful lady. Her figure was even to his liking...staring at her appearance only resulted in his psychological torture. 

Laying on the bed, Howell was still thinking about Little Red's appearance and his emotions when Little Red started back at him with a gentle smile. 

"Master~, good night." 

Howell then felt sleepiness sink in as he closed his eyes. As for Little Red, she was touching his face before she also closed her eyes. For an entity at her level, sleeping was not necessary since she could restore her physique and psyche with meditation and her recovery rate was the highest. 

She did this purely to enjoy her time with her Master. 

 

2