The death god of the wyverns
100 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey there, I just wanted to provide a short content warning for you because, if you were expecting something like Second Life, you are not at the right place. I will try to write something that fits better to me. But Second Life will get a new chapter when I am in the mood to write it. I will try to write a Dark Sci fi story this time. I hope you have fun with this.

The year 2023 was remembered as the year that an object entered the atmosphere and changed the future of the planet. Most cities were overrun by an unknown life form. Only a few cities per country survived. The mysterious life form reached earth through this object. These creatures were mostly called wyverns but had many synonyms. They didn't use any technology but our guns were useless against them. Big parts of Russia and America have become nuclear wastelands. But there is only one known case where wyverns have been killed by a nuclear weapon, they adapt when one of their species finds a problem. The various armies of the world were helpless against the wyverns. Normal bullets cannot penetrate the natural armor of a wyvern. At the beginning explosions worked, but as time progressed, they became more resistant to explosions. At the time the first nuclear weapons were used, the wyverns had full immunity to explosions that were smaller than nukes, which was in the year 2024. Today is the ninth of August in 2030, it's friday. The few human cities that survived, had built giant walls to protect them from the wyverns but recently some wyverns somehow got past the walls. Our city has started a system where civilians can obtain a license to acquire or build weapons to fight the wyverns. When a wyvern is spotted, the town government sends an e-mail to companies in the area to eliminate it. The person who spots the wyvern gets the monopoly on this wyvern and can ask other companies to help or he can kill it by himself. As for the question of how to kill the wyvern there are many ways to do it but obviously it isn't easy. Most companies use some kind of melee weapon because bullets made of material that can pierce wyverns are too expensive. Though the big companies have special units with fire weapons. But science always advances. And the newest idea to fight the wyverns is to place a giant railgun on the moon. However, no city has the infrastructure to send so much material to the moon. That is the reason I find that ridiculous. Oh you probably ask yourself who I am. I am Leo, a 17 year old wyvern eradication company owner. I am in my last year of school. This whole wyvern killing thing is currently just a hobby for me. But I don't have time to explain more. The class is almost over. Any questions? No? Perfect!

I used to bring my scythe with a wyvern tooth as a blade to this presentation, but one time I heard someone call me the death god of wyvern which today almost everyone at the school knows off. I really hate the teachers for always inviting me into their classes to explain how this whole wyvern thing started. However, at least my grades will probably benefit from it. Still, I have just another presentation this week and I hate it. Let's check to see if there is a wyvern that I can hunt to have an excuse to miss my next lesson.

Oh come on, no request. After school I have to kill one or else my landlord will kick me out because I'm paying late again. Oh school is so boring. After hours that feel like days, it's time to head home and wait for an email. Oh, finally a request. I grab my scythe. I still can't get used to it, every time I get in my armor and go searching with my scythe, people always ask me if I go to an anime con. I mean a scythe is probably not the weapon you would expect to be wielded by anyone seriously. I normally don't use them either. But nobody wanted to buy this scythe and I got a discount on it because of this. Normally I wouldn't have the budget to get such a large weapon. So yeah if I had more money I would probably buy me a new weapon. Let's hurry. I don't want to let someone else find the wyvern first. After a half hour I spot the wyvern but another person has found him first. Oh, he has no weapon. He must be focused on spotting wyverns.

 

I scream: "Hi, can I help you? I am from a company."

 

The other person seems to not have much time to talk to me but says shortly: "No"

 

No? That was unexpected. But he is in danger, since he does not possess the skills or equipment to survive the wyvern´s attacks for long. However, when I decide to fight the wyvern without his permission he will get the money. Then I won't be able to pay my rent. But letting him die would also be unwise since spotters are rare and a spotter that owes you a favor is useful. Damn it, I will kill the wyvern, maybe I am lucky and he will give me some money. I charge at the wyvern, and in one swift move I slice his head from his body. The spotter can´t even say anything before the enemy falls to the ground.

 

I say a bit unsure "I know that I don't ask for your permission, but I need some money to pay my rent and would appreciate it if you could give me some. At least I saved your life."

 

The other one seems to be nervous and says: " Let me take a call, after that I can say more."

 

The other person on his smartphone kept apologizing for several minutes. 

 

He puts his smartphone in his pocket, turns to me and tells me: "The boss wants to talk to you about how we can resolve this issue. Come to our office tomorrow."

 

He hands me a business card. 

 

I reply: "See you." 

 

After that I go home and search for the name of the company Prometheus Inc. They are a huge company with one squad with firearms. That explains why the spotter that I met said no, he probably works for them.That could be problematic, perhaps they are mad because I stole this wyvern as training material for their recruits. Maybe they want money for their loss. Maybe they want to eradicate my business or at least threaten me to not hunt in their areas. I heard many nasty rumors about them on the internet. However, the internet is also filled with idiots who think the walls are the only reason that the wyvern attack us or that Richard Livermont sent them. He is a weapon producer that makes weapons against wyverns. Or that the earth is flat or that vaccination doesn´t work. So informations from the internet are always to be taken with a grain of salt. It might be a wise idea to vanish for a few days. I could ask a friend of mine if he wants to go in the forest for two days on a small survival trip. He is a big fan of this. But he can’t go because of the danger of a wyvern attacking him. But when I ask him he probably is going to jump on this opportunity. Maybe a day more might be a good idea, they could come to my school. I can say to the school that I have a very important mission to eradicate a wyvern. They mostly say yes because they like a safe city too. After I call my friend, I head to bed. In the early morning, we go to the forest for two days. In the forest, there are no animals because most are extinct. I only saw animals in my early years when zoos were still a thing. The ocean is probably the only place where you still can see animals. That was a very big topic in my childhood. Many people said that we must keep the animals alive at all costs. Throughout the first few months, it was becoming clear that the zoo animals died too early to keep a stable population and almost every large species became extinct. This was not a wise option. The scientists weren't very surprised but many people were shocked and felt betrayed by politicians. This is because some ran for office with the promise to save the animals in the zoo. Democracy is still distrusted because of that.

 

On monday, I received a request and wasn't able to attend school. In the same forest we had camped, a wyvern was spotted. After 4 hours of searching, I found him. He was a special kind of wyvern with a unique ability. They are uncommon, dangerous, and are often the explanation for how the wyvern came inside of the walls. This one has the ability to teleport. According to my observations, he can only teleport every 5 minutes and not over a long distance, but he still seems mysterious. I would love to know how he does that. But there is no time for that. I probably should search for another company to help me with him. Let's search which of the big companies are responsible for this forest. Oh shit, it's Prometheus Inc. Before I ask them, I will try to kill it myself or this whole weekend would have been wasted. That actually could be quite interesting since unique wyverns also have a unique combat ability.

 

1