Chapter 4: Dust
32 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There are several beliefs that claimed when the universe was created, it had branched into various alternate dimensions. These alternative worlds possess similarities with one another, but at the same time are very different. Ultimately, the world as a whole is shaped upon its inhabitants.

There were people that tried to prove the claim with countless of theories and supporting evidences. Questionable corroboration. However no one ever saw nor cross into another world. So all the theories are left as speculations.

However, this doesn’t mean that something that never or can’t be seen is immediately deem as false. In the end, there was more to the universe than it let know.

But for the sake of this story, I will let you in on something.

Somewhere, far away, in another dimension, there exist a world where it bore great resemblance with the planet earth, but instead of calling it ‘earth’, their version of world is known as, ‘Tierra’. Both worlds shared many similar traits, but also many differences.

In Tierra, the lands and seas were divided into four domains; the North, East, South and West. Each of these domains had their own continents, where it was overseer by the high ruler of the world, ‘The Overlord’.

There are four of them. Chosen by their contribution in the past, the Overlords had now ascended godhood, and live as overpowered beings that could never laid to rest.

Each of these Overlords represented one of the domains, whereas under them are divided into continents with their own governed countries. The only lands left untouched were the two middle points where the domains crossed each other.

One of the middle point is where the darkness and unknown live, while the other middle point have an island called, ‘Witch’s Haven’.

Inside the lagoon of Witch’s Haven, there is a white void that extends into nothingness. It was hidden away from the common’s eyes, as only those with significant means can enter.

Inside the white void, there was a hidden land above a plane, which placed the home for the Witch Council.  The world most important court, and held the same authority as that of domain leaders in the form of mediator and advisory. It consist of only four members, which known as, ‘The Witch’.

The council was named after its founder title, in which the witches are in charge of foreseeing the events, futures and others in their world. They work behind the curtain of the world administration, and ensuring that everything was in order.

Each of them have no affiliation with any of the four domains overseer by the four Overlords. Though, each of them represented the four domains as silent watchers.

The way through the white void were clouded with mystery as their citadel was hidden securely so that no one knew where they live, except for the four Overloads.

As of now, a tall dark figure covered in jet black armour is ascending towards the citadel of the Witch Council. His strides were light on the steps of the pure white marble floor. The feral demon-like armour helm he wore looking stoic ahead.

Upon reaching the final steps, his visual was greeted with a magnificent and enormous baroque architectural building surrounded by flowers and nature.

The Citadel of the Witch, the place where the members of the Witch Council resides, away from the eyes of others.

The citadel was located on top of a wide plane that extended toward nowhere. The complex structures paired with the artistry design which carved into each of the pillars that held it together. While the surrounding area were full of decorated gardens which houses variety of flowers, trees and plants. Before it became the ‘headquarter’ for the Witch Council, it used to store and preserve all types and variety of plants in their world.

The cupola, the dome on top of the citadel, stood above the center of the building, with four others smaller dome encircling it. If one looked at the dome from above, they will see five points geometric star pattern in the shape of a blooming flower engraved on top of it.

The entrance to the interior citadel were wide like a hall, albeit an opened hall with dozens of high arch columns. The entry to the citadel’s compound was through a simple moon gate; arranged of dry stones forming a circular hole with vines and weeds growing on it, while the fences are low to be easily skip over.

However, a few meters before the moon gate, there is a towering, but hard to notice, wall in the form of a force field that guarding the entrance into the citadel from all sides.

The figure in dark armoured didn’t falter as he stalked forward.

Little balls made of light, which were ones of the guardians of the citadel, quickly rose to guard the moon gate. If one looks closer, they seem to have a pair of tiny wings that kept on flapping.

Several of them hovered in a horde, as they formed a row of barricade between the dark armoured man and the entrance to the citadel. Eventhough the entrance was already guarded with a force field wall, the balls of light still looked as if it were panicking, judging by their erratic movements in the air.

“I want to see the witches,” came the cold distant voice of the man behind the dark armoured. The tone sound demanding, though the little balls of light still hold their ground, or in their case, suspended in the air to act as another gate.

“Access denied,” One of the balls of light spoke in a formal but high-pitched voice, followed by another one.

“Access denied.”

“Acceesss denieeddd.”

“The Witch Council is having a confidential meeting. We are deeply apologize for this restriction, but the council had given order that none shall disturb them today. We had to kindly ask for Your Highrule to take a leave,” spoke another ball of light with educated response. It is bigger and had more prominent orange tint than the others.

“I don’t care.” Having said this, the dark armoured man moves forward.

This alarmed the hordes of balls of light as they wavered for a second. Then started to move frantically in the air while chiming, “Access denied! Access denied! Access denied!”

“We deeply apologize, but the-“

The dark armoured man walked past them as if he only been walking through thin air, which probably true, considering the properties of the ball of light.

The row of balls of light started to fly about in distress, but couldn’t do anything as the man had marched straight toward the force field, and consequently into the entrance of the citadel.

But dark armoured figure was cut short by a new horded of light, slightly bigger than before, with blue tint, and had managed to create their own force field at every side and contours of before the force field, creating a double layer of protection dome.

“Move or feel my wrath,” was said rather airy.

The big balls of light didn’t faltered.

Until they got slashed by black flames.

All the big balls of light was scattered in white dust as their force field broke. The slash also managed to cut the force field that had been guarding the moon gate entrance. The force field wall collapsed like millions of glasses to the white marble floor.

All in one light swipe of the hand by the dark armoured man. There are still residues of the black flames remain on the burned down force field.

Without hesitation, the dark armoured man began to make way into the moon gate, and out to the front main entrance of the citadel.

However, he was once again stopped by more horded balls of light with variance of sizes and tints. They all came rushing together to prevent him from moving one more step. He raised his hand again.

“Stop it.” A dark brown skinned girl that appeared to look like a teen wearing a black overall cloak emerged from the entrance. She had a long hair wavy black haired styled in a high ponytail and glowing oranges eyes that stare sharply at the man infront.

“Please refrain from killing our staffs everytime you come here,” she said, monotone but demanding, as the dark armoured clad man dropped his hand to the side, “Overlord of the Westdom, His Highrule, Decimus.”

The Overlord of the Westdom, Decimus, revealed himself by inactivated his helm, which vanished in a dust of black smoke, leaving only his body armoured. He had beautiful sharp features with a dark brown complexion, and a pair of piercing but emotionless lilac eyes.

His frizzy haired was also the same lilac colour, and was fluttering over his shoulders and back. Some of the long zig-zagged bang framing his expressionless face, as if he had no soul under it.

“I had come today to ask about ‘that’.”

The orange eyes girl frowned, but chose to stay silent.

“Oh, it’s you, His Highrule, Decimus. Long time no see.”

Both figures turned to the gentle voice belong to a pale white teenage boy with neat white straight hair and glowing green eyes. He too, was wearing the same black overall cloak as the girl.

“How are you, my Overlord? Feeling well? Or did all the responsibilities finally weighing down on you? Haha, I trust that the West’s Domain is in good state?” the green eyes boy said well-heartedly as he approached them.

The Overlord paid him no mind. “Where are the others? I want to meet all of you right now.”

“We are actually in the middle of an important meeting. So we had to ask you to please leave in peace, or if you don’t mind waiting.. Haha, we don’t mind if you choose to do so. That is, if you promise not to harm any of the little spirits resided here.”

“Eiz,” the orange eyes girl spoke in protest to the boy, but still appeared calm.

“It’s fine, Sol. He can wait until our meeting is over.” Then, the green eyes boy glided back over to the Overlord. “He can stay and relive over the old memories in this place.”

There was no warm in how he said that, but Decimus still hold his ground.

“Your meeting is not my concern. My matter is more important.”

“And that is?”

The Overlord mulled over for seconds, before answering lowly, “About ‘her’. I..” His stoic face faltered a little. “I think.. No. I’m sure.. I sensed ‘her’ life force yesterday.”

The two black cloaked teenagers stare up at the man.

“It’s faint. But I know it’s was her. I swore on what little heart I have, that it really was her.”

“Then?”

Decimus stopped to glare at the orange eyes girl who asked it rather bluntly.

Sol, did not feel a little bit intimidate, asked again, “Then what do you want us to do about it? Find her?”

Eiz who detected the sudden change of atmosphere, immediately berated the girl, “Now, now. Stop that, Sol. We-“

“-Don’t you all sense her too?” a hint of desperation in the man voice.

Eiz look at Decimus with unreadable expression mirrored that of his colleague. He then turned toward the citadel. “We’re kind of in the middle of a meeting, as you know. I think it is wise for us to part way for now.”

Something triggered inside Decimus over the nonchalantly attitude they display. “Answer me that first. It’s the order of the Overlord of the Westdom,” was said with a heavy threatening tone as black smoke and dust suddenly surrounding his entire being.

“We will answer after this meeting-“

“-What is the purpose of that meeting actually?! I don’t think this is all a coincidence for you all to have a meeting immediately after I sensed ‘her’! You- You all know something-!”

“-The unexplainable emerged of infested creatures, which might come from ‘that’ land. Not to mention that ‘land’ itself,” Sol ended out raising her voice, but still with the expressionless face. Though, her tone did not hide the cold within.

“We had to discuss on how to approach the matter, and finding the root of the problem. Not like you would know anything about it. You keep locked inside your own castle, dwelling on a past that had become a dust,” she spat on the last sentence.

In a blur, Decimus stood infront of the girl. The demon-like helm had replaces his head, as black smoke that exudes from his being began to rose and spread in the air. His hand clawed dangerously on the girl’s forehead.

“Wa-wait! Decimus! Stop!!” Eiz hurried to stop him.

Black flame emerged from the front of the man’s palm.

Sol’s eyes widen.

O

O

O

But the black flame did not graze any part of the orange eyes girl’s skin, because a blur shadow suddenly crashed into her.

“HiOverlordD-Ahh!” the blur ‘shadow’ spoken in one word before BAM!

Both the girl and the one who collided with her landed harshly on the floor a few meters away from the Overlord.

Eiz become alarmed, before his eyes soften.

“Oww.. It’s feel like I just got hit with a barrel of log,” said by the teenage boy who just emerged from nowhere, as he nursing his head. He literally just head butted the girl to safety.

Same as his peers, the boy with the dark olive skin too was wearing a black overall cloak, except the hood was pulled over his head, with his little spiky gray-bluish haired peeked under it. He have a pair of glowing blue eyes.

“Oh, sorry Sol. I did not see you there.. Haha! Don’t look at me like that..”

Sol was still under him, looking stoically angry with red mark on her forehead while lying her back on the floor, but didn’t say anything. Eiz came to their aid, helping the girl to sit up.

“Weiss..” Eiz spoke lowly in gratitude.

The boy grinned at him, before standing up and flashed the Overlord a grin too.

“Ah, Overlord D! How great of you for visiting us! Sorry that you had to see my lame entrance! And I have waited up too..” Weiss whined playfully. Then, turned serious, blue eyes glowered, “If you attempt to harm any of the beings here again, I won’t hesitate to call for action of global betrayal on you. And I will make sure you suffer tremendously that you wish you were never born.”

Decimus snorted at that, but otherwise lowered his hand. However, the demon-like helm still adorned his head.

The menacing aura that once suffocated the air began to disperse. However the tenseness still hang around the atmosphere.

The boy called Weiss also lowered his glare, and turned back to a grinning fool. “Now why did you visit us, Overlord D? I barely see you these days.”

But before Decimus could speak, the boy continued, “If you come to talk about ‘that’, I’m afraid we still can’t be of help. Honestly, Overlord D.. You can’t keep coming here just for ‘that’. Every years, centuries.. How long had it been since then?”

The Overlord of the Westdom kept his tongue. It was true that he kept coming there every few years or decades to ‘harass’ the Witch Council regarding.. that matter. However, this time, he’s certain he had something to discuss over.

“I had a lead,” Decimus said firmly, “I sensed ‘her’ presence yesterday. It was distress. I-“

“-We can’t,” Weiss interjected with a sudden change of tone, “Sensing ‘her’ presence is not enough to locate ‘her’. It might even be a false alarmed or allusion of ‘her’ past memories.”

“I know what I sensed!” The demon helm gone, replaced by an expression of desperation. Lilac hair ruffled about as he spoke, “Never once had my abilities and senses been dulled over times! I know it was ‘her’!”

“How many times throughout the past years had you sensed her?”

“Not this time! I knew what I sensed! It was really her!”

“Like I said Overlord D..!” Weiss begun to grow exasperated. “Pardon my rudeness. But like I said, sensing her presence still can’t give us any lead to where ‘her’ soul has been after been deceased for the past centuries. If it was that easy, we should have ‘her’ here by now!”

The Overlord immediately got shut at once. He couldn’t refute. Like a branch just caught in his throat.

No one say anything after that either.

The time stood still for a moment.

Eventhough, the dark armoured clad figure was already an emotionless man, but the black cloaked teens could sense the sorrow weighting him down. They all thought the same; how use to be a regal warrior with foolish courage and bravery had fallen down to become a soulless emperor. Though, all of them also felt the same; they will not allow themselves to empathize with him. Not after that ‘incident’.

For what seem like a few minutes, Decimus began to talk again, his voice hiding his despair, just like always, “Do you all.. ever sense her life sign?”

This, Eiz who answered, “Well, even if we had..”

Decimus lifted his head.

“We can’t let ourselves indulge on it. It was after all, a long forgotten past. Dwelling on it with only cause despair, once we know that it was only a false hope. That is why, we have to keep our head towards the present. Live and stride, as she once said.” His eyes casted down, as mouth formed a gentle smile as he reminisced the memories of a smiling woman.

The mood become heavy again, so Weiss immediately poked in, “Plus, all of us are busy now! We can’t keep being on the past! So busy! What with today world had move toward modernization and all.” He threw his arms over the other boy’s shoulder.

“Yeah, we should not let the past control our future, because we are the one who lead today present. You should do that too, my Overlord,” Eiz offered kindly, “Maybe then, your heart can reconnect again.”

“Nonsense.” Decimus turned toward the exit. It’s not as if he didn’t hear those kind of words for thousand times already, telling him to move on.

“If you find anything, please.. inform me.” And then he leave through the only passage of the citadel.

All three black cloaked teens stare at the fleeting smoke dust trailed left by the man.

They stood still for minutes, still staring at the empty space, before Weiss broke it, “His aura had faded, he’s gone now. Everyone can relax now..”

Some spirits like the balls of light who had been hiding, come out and flying about.

“You can come out too, Noir,” called Weiss.

“I’m not hiding.” As if on cue, a teenage girl with light tan skin and pink glowing eyes came out from behind a tall pillar. She wore the same black overall cloak as the others, with the hood pulled over. Some strand of red hair framing her face. Though her cloth seems to be bigger than her petite self.

“Did that bastard came for ‘that’ again?” Noir huffed an annoyed sigh.

“Language, Noir.” Eiz reprimanded her, “He’s still our Overlord.”

“Whatever. Let just start the meeting again,” she brushed off Eiz, and went inside the citadel. They others followed suit behind her.

“How long can we keep this up.. until they find out and behead us?” Eiz asked while still keeping the gentle smile on his face.

None of the witches answered him as they also were thinking the same question. If only Decimus knew.

If only ‘they’ all knew.

1