Vol.3 Ch.5 – Power Leveling II
1.6k 15 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: Power Leveling II

After several apologies to the mess hall staff Elaine and Prudence worked together and used magic to fix the table back up again, then sat down again and continued the earlier discussion.

“Would you like to go next?” Elaine asked Evelyn.

“I'm not wrestling either of you until I... oh, you mean do I want to level up next?”

Elaine smiled and nodded.

Soul Shard: Indra
Bond Level: 9
Available EXP: 1300
Level:  9 (40/180)
Abilities:
Bond Level 1:
Strength of Thunder (Physical) – Purchased.
Thunderstorm Invigoration (Recovery) – 10 EXP: During stormy weather, passive regeneration is increased by 200% and stamina is limitless.
Rudimentary Lightning Magic (Magical) – Purchased.
Memory of Vajra (M) – Purchased.
Bond Level 2 – Purchased.
Bond Level 3 – Purchased.
Bond Level 4 – Purchased.
Bond Level 5:
King of the Gods (Physical) – Purchased.
Greater Font of Soma (Recovery) – Purchased.
Advanced Air Magic (Magical) – 50 EXP: Grants access to advanced air-elemental magic. Grants Awakener access to rudimentary air-elemental magic. As Awakener already has access to Air Magic, will amplify Awakener's air-elemental magic by 25% instead. Requires Rudimentary Air Magic.
Apparition of Deva Arms (M) – 50 EXP: User can summon a set of spectral arms that function the same as normal arms, except any damage suffered by them can be reversed by dismissing and re-summoning them. Spectral arms are significantly stronger than real arms. Allows Awakener to summon a single spectral arm. Requires Memory of Deva Arms.
Bond Level 6:
Lightning Charge (Physical) – 60 EXP: Gather energy while in motion. Upon attacking opponent in melee, all gathered energy is expelled, increasing damage depending on the energy gathered, up to 200%.
Immunization (Recovery) – 60 EXP: Grants immunity to any hostile effect that weakens perceptions or inhibitions.
Masterful Lightning Magic (Magical) – Purchased.
Akashic Knowledge (M) – Purchased.
Bond Level 7:
King of the Gods II (Physical) – Purchased.
Exalted Font of Soma (Recovery) – 70 EXP: Regeneration is increased by 900%. Three times a day, user can grant an ally +1500% regeneration for 10 minutes. If used once, bonus regeneration is decreased to 600% until the end of the day. If used twice, bonus regeneration is decreased to 300%. If used three times, you no longer benefit from the increased regeneration until the end of the day. Requires Greater Font of Soma.
Manifestation of Deva Arms (M) – 70 EXP: You can summon a set of spectral arms that function the same as normal arms, except any damage suffered by them can be reversed by dismissing and re-summoning them. When summoned, your Strength is increased by 20% and spectral arms are just as strong as your own. Allows Awakener to summon a set of spectral arms as strong as their own. Requires Apparition of Deva Arms.
Manifestation of Vajra (M) – 70 EXP: Allows you to summon a high level simulacrum of Indra's Vajra, which amplifies lightning magic by 75% and can break through all but the toughest armor when swung with force. Allows Awakener to summon an average level simulacrum of Indra's Vajra. Requires Apparition of Vajra.
Bond Level 8:
Lightning Charge II (Physical) – 80 EXP: Gather energy while in motion. Upon attacking opponent in melee, all gathered energy is expelled, increasing damage depending on the energy gathered, up to 500%. Requires Lightning Charge.
Masterful Storm Magic (Magical) – 80 EXP: Grants access to masterful lightning, air and water-elemental magic. Grants Awakener access to masterful lightning magic as well as advanced air and water-elemental magic. As Awakener already has access to air and water magic, will amplify Awakener's air and water magic by 50% instead. Requires Masterful Lightning Magic and Advanced Air Magic.
Apparition of Thousand Eyes (M) – 80 EXP: Grants you a 360° field of vision, allows you to see 1.5 second into your own immediate future, and grants the processing power to make full use of this information. Requires Memory of Thousand Eyes.
Memory of Vasavi Shakti (M) – Purchased.
Bond Level 9:
Berserk Rage (Physical) – 90 EXP: Every time you kill an enemy, you gain a 20% boost to Strength and Agility for the next sixty minutes. Stacks up to 20 times.
Aura Magic Aptitude (Magical) – 90 EXP: Gain an intrinsic understanding of aura magic.
Thunderstorm Dominion (Support) – 90 EXP: Creates a localized thunderstorm above you. Lightning can be actively directed at enemies within 100 feet. Warning: Highly visible; use with care. Requires Thunderstorm Invigoration.
Indrastra (M) – 90 EXP: Allows your Deva Arms to summon powerful throwing weapons that fly at astonishing speeds and explode on impact. Requires Manifestation of Deva Arms.

“What's aura magic?” Evelyn asked as she read through her new skills.

“It's—“ Elaine and Prudence began but then Prudence gestured for Elaine to continue.

“Go ahead. I'm curious how much you know.”

Elaine nodded, then explained: “It's a way to use magic to strengthen yourself. Every living being has an aura, a film covering our bodies that makes it much harder to cast harmful magic into us, rather than at us. It's the reason you don't see fire mages burning people from within. The aura would make it exponentially more difficult than just chucking a fireball.”

Alexis, Evelyn and Abigail listened with rapt attention. Cassie had already heard it before and Prudence was nodding along.

“Now, aura magic is a way to use spells to strengthen one's aura,” Elaine continued. “You could, for example, imbue your aura with a lightning spell, thus making yourself way faster and stronger. The risk is that, if you mess it up, you might accidentally push that lightning spell past your aura, letting it run rampant through your body.”

Evelyn winced.

“But this ability would give you all the knowledge you'd need to avoid doing just that,” Elaine said. “So I would say it's an absolute must-buy.” She turned to Prudence. “Good enough?”

“Got it in one,” the angel said. “I also agree with your conclusion. Absolutely buy this, Evelyn. I've been practicing aura magic for several decades and I still have to cast it before a fight. If I try it in a high-stress situation I run too high a risk of messing it up.”

“Okay, got it,” Evelyn said. “Not like it matters, though. I can buy everything with points to spare.”

“Go ahead, then”, Elaine said.

Lightning Charge purchased (-60 EXP).
Lightning Charge II purchased (-80 EXP).
You gained a level!
Advanced Air Magic purchased (-50 EXP).
Apparition of Deva Arms purchased (-50 EXP).
Manifestation of Deva Arms purchased (-70 EXP).
Masterful Storm Magic purchased (-80 EXP).
You gained a level!
Indrastra purchased (-90 EXP).
Berserk Rage purchased (-90 EXP).
You gained a level!
Thunderstorm Invigoration purchased (-10 EXP).
Immunization purchased (-60 EXP).
Manifestation of Vajra purchased (-70 EXP).
Apparition of Thousand Eyes purchased (-80 EXP).
Aura Magic Aptitude purchased (-90 EXP).
You gained a level!
Thunderstorm Dominion purchased (-90 EXP).
Exalted Font of Soma purchased (-70 EXP).
Remaining EXP: 270
Name: Evelyn Dupree
Gender: Female
Species: Human (homo sapiens)
Sub-type: Shard Bearer (Indra)
Level: 9 13
Vigor: 41 67
Endurance: 41 67
Strength: 49 91 (+27)
Toughness: 49 91 (+27)
Agility: 59 120 (+36)
Intelligence: 42 83 (+17)
Fortitude: 42 83
Luck: 39 82
Abilities: Summon Vajra, Summon Deva Arms, Summon Vasavi Shakti, Akashic Knowledge, Thousand Eyes, Font of Soma, Resuscitation, Magic (Air/Lightning)

“Highly visible, huh?” Evelyn said as she reread the description of the Thunderstorm Dominion.

“Your skills aren't exactly subtle in the first place,” Cassie said. “I mean you practically nuked a whole army.”

“True,” Elaine said. “But I suppose dragging a thunderstorm with you would be pretty noticeable. Especially now that we know that the bad guys aren't just a horde of slavering monsters.”

“Yeah, I'd better not use it if we're trying to be sneaky,” Evelyn said. “But in an open battle like the one we just had this is super useful.”

“Is it?” Abigail asked. “I mean, you can already throw lightning bolts, right?”

“It's not the same,” Evelyn said. “Proper lightning from a storm is way stronger than what I can pull out on the fly.”

“Not to mention the buffs she gets for being in a thunderstorm,” Alexis added.

“Limitless stamina,” Evelyn said. “I wonder if that means I won't collapse if I throw another Vasavi Shakti.”

“Best not to try that out without good reason,” Elaine said.

“Probably better that way,” Evelyn said. “So, Elaine, what did you get?”

Elaine shared her screen once again.

One of your Shard Bearers has gained levels! Stats awarded.
Level: 19 21
Vigor: 131 148 (+15)
Endurance: 131 148 (+15)
Strength: 135 160 (+56)
Toughness: 135 160 (+56)
Agility: 205 239 (+84)
Intelligence: 207 231 (+104)
Fortitude: 185 209 (+21)
Luck: 145 160 (+16)
Abilities: Awakening, Summon Areadbhar, Summon Aenbharr, Summon Feather Cloak, Summon Lampade Wand, Summon Vajra, Summon Sunlight Bow, Oracular Visions, Focused Strike, Magic (Earth, Wind, Water, Lightning, Fire, Ice, Metal, Light, Shadow), Higher Form

“That ability list is a total mess,” Prudence said. “I thought so earlier, but not that I see it again it really hits me. All these nice, quantifiable stats and then this.”

“It grew so gradually that I never really noticed but now that you mention it I have to agree,” Elaine said. “It does look a bit annoying. Let me see if I can futz with it.”

Elaine made several broad gestures and tapped a few things, then she shared the ability list again.

Abilities: Awakening, Higher Form, Magic (9), M Skills (6), Miscellaneous (3)

“I didn't expect it to be that much shorter,” Alexis said.

“Too much?” Elaine asked. “I can tap the numbers to make the lists unfold.”

“It wasn't a complaint,” Alexis said. “This looks much cleaner.”

“Much better,” Prudence agreed.

“Now then,” Elaine said as she dismissed her menus. She looked over at Abigail and Cassie. “Which one of you wants to go next?”

 

A huge Thank You to my newest patron, Tsume Hexed! Thank you so, so much for your support!

50