Chapter 14.0 – War Council
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Next chapter Wednesday. (I'm thinking of whether or not to add the perspective of the vikings so it's taking me a bit of time to write) This chapter is just to set up some basic stuff for the war. Please comment if you have any opinions regarding the perspective of the coming chapters. I was thinking of maybe also doing it just through the vikings pov. So any thoughts are appreciated. (ie., help idk what to do next, too many options)

But I promise next chapter is Wednesday,

Enjoy

The Chiefdom was hilly in its hinder lands, but flat on its shores. If we were to fight, we’d need to pull them into the shrublands. Thankfully, from what I heard during my travels the sea people had already fully looted the shoreline the first time around. Everything was now centred around the Selinna River. This was the main artery of the chiefdom and on its riverbed, one found the capital, and every other major city. Although the new reality of the country had given them an extra layer of protection from sea-faring pillagers. It had isolated the Mizo people, weakened them, and made them poorer, both in knowledge and material.

However, if the sea people resembled the Viking archetype one found in many worlds, they would no doubt sail up the river to the capital with ease. However, travelling in land would let the defenders bombard their boats with magic and arrows. However, seeing that the sea people had left a decade and come back, presumably after raiding other chiefdoms and kingdoms they probably had a way to defend themselves.

Yet, that wasn’t the only problem. The sea people were pillagers and plunderers. They worshipped strength and nothing else. The tales even said that they paid their men in blood and honour, not money and booze. There would be no way to negotiate.

And that’s ignoring the fact that in type-M/22 world, blood came nicely packaged with experience points. If this chiefdom’s regulars were at the fourth grade, the sea people were at the fifth grade. If the chiefdoms knights were at the fifth level, theirs were at the sixth or seventh.  

In truth this was a futile battle, at best the chiefdom could make the sea people bleed. And bleed they would; however, one could patch up a wound, but not the loss of an entire generation.

#

For the next couple of days, I trained my troops in reconnaissance. Since our group seemed to be one filled with those who didn’t care much for the nation, and I had made my position on the war awfully clear. The mercenary company wouldn’t rely on use for decisive battles, but rather skirmishes, small ambush missions, and reconnaissance work. As such I divided my one hundred men squad into four groups. Each one controlled by a third-grade warrior, except for the fourth which I took for myself. In this group I had taken the ones who seemed the most heartless, and most fond of gold.

I thought these groups how hide, follow tracks, and how to draw up rough map’s good enough to be of use to me with the assistance of my internal GPS.

Of course, when the mage came by, I made them do rudimentary line combat, however, simply listening to orders would be good enough for such a rag-tag group of wannabe soldiers.

Finally, the time came to present my plan. However, I still hope they went for a bad plan. The more chaos means the more I could plunder.

#

I entered the command tent. Inside were the twelve commanders, the old lady, and her aide the camps. Thankfully, the other leaders seemed to be warriors. If your intelligence skill point reflected in any way a person’s actual intelligence, warriors would be nothing but a hindrance in strategy meetings. Well, experience might come into play; anyhow we’ll see what they say.

The first to speak was Klizza, “Before we get started, I want to state our position. We are being paid to track the sea people and inform the kingdom of all their movements. If we can take out one of their boats, we are to do it even if we lose all our men.”

Seven of the commanders nodded and each one of us instantly boxed each other in different factions. In all honesty this was a better result than I had expected. Back home not a soul had even the slightest thought of betrayal. Well, it helps when your enemy is seeking the annihilation of your species.

“Now, we’ll start the strategy meeting.” She placed seven rectangular pieces of wood on the map above the river drawn on the map. “The scouts have reported that seventy boats stationed at the mouth of the river. For the past month, they were scouring the coast for any remains from the last raid. Of course, there wasn’t more other than fishing villages, however, even they have been annihilated. They seem more belligerent than the last time.”

The air in the room thickened, however, I kept my arms crossed and my gaze sharp, showing my lack of concern. I noticed one other person with the same attitude. We gave each other a passing glance and went back to the map. This would probably be my only companion.

“Now that you understand our situation, we need to find a way to slow down the enemy while the capital gets ready to fight. If any of you have ideas, you are than welcome to state them.”

The first to speak was an old man with grey hair and a white beard next to her in full plate armour. “If I were to act out a plan.” His voice flowed nicely. If not for a military career, he would have made for a fine singer. He even had the charisma to match. Even I seemed to fall for his voice. No doubt he had a proper commanding job which gave him charisma points. I had to be careful, the Vikings hadn’t killed everyone worth their salt their first go around.

“We should set up traps in the river ways.” He pointed towards the main artery of the river. “Doing so will buy us the most time. They can’t travel on land less they give up their most powerful weapon. As such this would be the best way to slow them down.”

Another person spoke up. This time a middle-aged woman, “This time their boats are smaller than last time. They can probably even sail on the shallowest river. As such it shouldn’t be impossible for them to haul them over land. Although that would still serve to ambush or slow them down. If we were to do so we’d have to block off a considerable amount of the river.”

The man with the white beard nodded, “But, do we have the manpower to do so?”

This is when I intervened, “None of that will work.”

The old man turned to me, “Why so?”

“As you said,” I couldn’t discount his idea. To gain the favour of these people. One first had to praise them and then add to it, while making it sound like they were about to come to the same conclusion. “We don’t have the manpower. Plus, we don’t have time either. If they’re they set off today and travel at about 5 knots which they can probably surpass, they’ll be at the capital in a day or two. Sailing is faster than walking, as you know.”

The man nodded, “Of course, that’s why it cannot be done.”

He went back to staring at the map. Of course, he didn’t know shit; however, I wasn’t here to usurp his position. I was here to steal the nation’s wealth.

I continued, “we’ve been away from the coast for over a decade, it’s only normal that we can’t know the speed at which their boats travel. But we don’t need the capabilities of their ships.” Of course, that was important, however, as long as I faked it most wouldn’t question such bold statements. “All we need to know is that they’ve probably already done this and are still kicking which means they have a way to defend against any traps we may think of.”

“So, what do you suggest?” This time it was Klizza who asked.

“No cheap tricks will work. If we hit them half heartily, they’ll probably just camp out and wait for their mana to regenerate. In fact, that’s probably why they’re moving so slowly. I’m sure what remaining cities we have on the coast are furiously defending themselves, and that’s why they’re taking their time before entering the river. They need to make sure they’re in tip-top shape. As such we should attack them in large waves without much rest in between. Since they are pillagers, they probably don’t have a lot of supply. As such if we also clear the villages near the main river, it would be harder for them to recuperate. This way we won’t give them the time, nor resources to recuperate. They might even leave before reaching the capital.” Or do a mad dash to it. Which didn’t need to be said, since that’s what I wanted.

“We don’t have the troops to attack them, nor would the chiefdom listen to us,” said another person.

“Not all of them but we can at least take down one ship if we all go at it,” answered a suicidal individual.

That’s when Klizza intervened. “Yes, as the previous individual stated. It sounds like you wish for a large decisive battle, however, aren’t you the one who said you were a mercenary and not a martyr?”

“Exactly. Taking down one ship wouldn’t do anyone any good, even if the chiefdom says so. This is a strategy we should at least recommend to the kingdom. However, if you wish to do it anyway, although I won’t leave, I won’t take part of any frontal assault.”

From what I understood mages were extremely valuable assets. If she was a strong enough to control a mercenary group, there is no way she didn’t have any connection to the chiefdom. Especially since she had the funds to lead a mercenary company. Plus, there were two other talented mages following her like subordinates, and she had access to detailed maps of the country. She couldn’t be a nobody. If anyone could pull in the chiefdom, it was her. All that mattered now was how much influence she truly had. I needed both sides to do as much damage to themselves as possible. This would give me the best leverage with both parties.

The war council continued, however, I stayed quiet for the rest of it only intervening occasionally to keep up the good appearance. I had already contributed enough to secure my position. Now I just needed to wait for the carnage to ensue, and the opportunities to appear.

 

1