Chapter 1: Thief
2.6k 3 113
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“C’mon Jason, don’t mess up now..” I mutter to myself as I fiddled with the door lock, a hairpin in each hand. “They make it look so easy in games…ah!”

The door clicks open and I slide inside, before closing it once again. I put an ear up to the door and focused on trying to hear for any signs that I’ve been noticed. 

No footsteps or alarms, so far at least. I closed my eyes and let out a silent relieved sigh. Hopefully, I can get out of here before one of them shows up. 

I turn towards the empty office room I found myself in, looking it over for any obvious hiding places.

The room was a little small so there wasn’t much to explore. There were a few cabinets, a few chairs, and a single fancy desk. The desk had a nameplate on it, but I didn’t even give it a second glance.

I’m not going to waste valuable seconds reading some greedy bastard's name. 

will, however, spend valuable seconds rummaging through the bag he left hanging on the office chair behind his desk. Finders keepers and all.

I pulled out a few binders of paper, which held nothing worth mentioning. I sighed and tossed the folders on the desk before digging my hands back into the bag. 

Damnit, at least give me something here! 

I pulled out a nearly empty pack of gum, which was tempting to take, but I tossed it back in the bag a second later. I’d rather starve than eat banana-flavored gum.

Well, not that you eat gum anyway. But my point still stands that bananas plain suck. I’ve alwa-

My train of thought was interrupted when I finally pulled out something worth value, a small black leather wallet. 

With a smile on my face, I quickly opened it, only for said smile to drop.

The wallet was filled with cards. Ranging from business cards to credit cards, to one of those punch-out coffee cards. The only thing else was a single twenty dollar bill, which I immediately pocketed. Better than nothing.

I ignored the cards as I stuffed the wallet back into the bag, along with the folders I placed on the desk. I’d rather not steal something that could be traced back to me, so I tend to avoid cards unless I absolutely need it.

But still, twenty dollars isn’t what I was expecting when I hit this place up…I expected more.

These guys should have something else here, they have to!

I know for a fact there should be something here, especially after I scouted this place for days. I saw multiple suspicious people entering here, so there has to be something special to this place.

I started opening the desk drawers, only to be met with nothing of importance. Just more stupid files and desk supplies.

I dropped down to a crouch as I moved to open the bottom drawers, only for me to notice something off about the desk. There was a small red switch underneath the desk, looking completely out of place.

I grinned, then flipped the switch in a hurry. Glad to have found something!

Only to immediately regret it, as I didn’t even stop to think if it was an alarm button. Thankfully though, no alarms went off that I could hear. 

Instead, I heard a click and the sounds of something moving behind me. I turned around to see a part of the wall sliding away, revealing my grand prize!

A large metal safe. Fit with its own giant combination lock. 

I reached for the safe and inspected it all around. Taking in every single detail, before sighing in defeat.

Just how am I supposed to open this!? 

Life’s not like a video game! I can’t just look around for a combination written down on a notepad! If only it was that easy.

I grabbed it and tried to move it just an inch, but it wouldn’t budge. I figured as much, but it was worth a try anyway. Maybe I can try those things I see in the movies, you know where they put their ear against it and try to listen for the click? I knew it probably wasn’t going to work, but maybe I can try anyway.

I leaned forward, placing my ear against the safe. I reached up to grab the dial and-

Suddenly, the door to the room was kicked off its hinges. Crashing into the filing cabinets on the other side of the room.

Great, it’s them. Just what I needed right now.

I sighed as I slowly stood up and turned around, as a large figure made its way into the room. Wearing an incredibly ugly looking blue and silver skin tight costume with his muscles on full display. He instantly looked towards me as he entered, with the upper part of his face being covered by a silver mask.

“Stop, villain!” He exclaimed as he dramatically pointed towards me, “Your days of robbing innocent civilians are over! Give yourself up peacefully, and no harm will come to you. Refuse, and you deal with the Silver Fist!”

Perfect.

“Okay, okay.” I say as I raise my hands up to my side, “I can tell when I’m outmatched, you win this time Silver.”

He gave off a smug look, as he sauntered over towards me. As he finally reached me, I activated my power. There was no flash of light, no sound, nothing to indicate that I activated it on him. 

He was completely clueless. 

“Smart of you to come along quie-” He tried to say as I interrupted him with a knee straight to his gut. I let out a grin, as I felt the power behind that attack. Thank god he was the hero that showed up, simple powers like his are perfect for my ability.

He took a step back as he clutched his stomach, staring at me with wide eyes.

“M-Mimic Man!?” He exclaimed.

Huh, I'm surprised that he recognized me. Guess I'm starting to gain a reputation now, that's going to make things more difficult later.

But that name needs to change.

“It’s Mimica. Not mimic ma-” I said before stopping on that last word. A strange feeling of disgust hitting me. 

“It’s just Mimica.” I finally say. 

“What are you doing here?” He asks as he starts to straighten back up and raise his fists. 

Can’t have that, now can we?

I gathered as much strength as I could from his power before I let my fist fly forward. He raised his hands up to block, but he was too slow and I hit him dead on. He was sent flying through several walls, before finally stopping about three or so rooms away. He collapsed on the floor covered in rubble.

I whistled when I saw the damage, wondering how the building was even still standing. Damn his power was strong, if only I could copy it more often. I wasn’t worried about him though, I knew a hero like him wouldn’t die to a punch like that. Seeing as he hasn’t gotten up yet I assume I knocked him out cold.

I turned back to my prize, with a satisfied grin. With this strength I could easily lift the safe, and take it somewhere more...secluded...before my ability runs out. 

I started to reach over to grab the safe out of the wall, when I heard the sound of distant footsteps coming my way. Shit, it’s probably some more heroes. This is definitely bad...

One hero I could take, but I’m not confident enough to fight a whole damn super team. My only option was to leave the safe here and book it, no way I can escape while carrying it through the streets. 

I decided to make a new exit, as I punched a hole straight through the wall of the building. I jumped through without a second thought and landed inside a deserted alley. 

Thank god that the building was only two stories tall. 

I instantly started running through the alleyway, going through its twists and turns, while using my new enhanced strength to boost my speed.

After a good couple minutes of non-stop running, I ducked behind a dumpster while trying to be as still as possible. Not even a minute later I heard footsteps, and then two figures in costumes dashed past me. One of the female heroes was dressed in a dark blue costume with a grey mask, and just seeing that made my anxiety spike even higher. No way that the Guardian was just chasing me. I should be lucky I managed to even get this far against Spectons number one hero.

I watched them as they neared the end of the alleyway, before they turned around a corner and ran out of view. 

I waited as I kept pressed up to the dumpster, my heart pounding in my chest, as I waited and waited for any more heroes to come towards me. After a moment of silence, I finally let go of the breath I was holding.

I stood up and checked the alley one last time, before taking off my ‘villain outfit’, if it can even be called that. I stuff the black face mask and hoodie into my bag, before turning towards the nearest exit to the main street. 

Sigh.

That could’ve gone better...

~~~~~~~~~~~

After a short walk, I found myself in one of the back streets of the city, just as the sun was starting to set. The streets were mostly empty, with only a few handful of people around. There wasn’t really much to see in these parts, but there are a few hidden gems if you know where to look.

To me though, only a single place comes to mind. One of the few places that don’t mind me loitering around for hours.

I glanced up towards the sign above the door that said ‘Bits n Bytes’, the letters brightened by the flashing LED lights. One of the few places in town that offers cheap, but quality, coffee. 

The sound of a bell rings as I push the cafe door open and step inside. I first heard the sound of quiet jazz playing through the speakers, then the smell of roasted coffee hit me a second later.

I take a moment to enjoy the smell, it always manages to calm me down no matter how bad it gets. Part of why I still come here I guess, even when I probably shouldn’t be wasting my remaining funds on coffee.

I’m not sure why, but this place has felt almost like a home to me. Well...not quite a home, but more like a safe place. 

A safe and quiet place to retreat from the stress and issues of life. Of having to steal just to survive. Of having no place to call home. Of-

I shook my head in an effort to clear my thoughts. I came here to relax, not brood.

Eventually, I started to move toward the booths placed along the wall. Luckily, my favorite seat wasn’t taken. Though technically, none of the seats were taken. The place hardly ever got customers from what I’ve seen, I don’t even know how they can keep their business running like this.

I slid into the booth, and dropped my bag into the space between me and the wall. I barely had time to get comfortable before Tami appeared, a cup of coffee in her hands. 

She was dressed in her stereotypical maid outfit, which always felt a little out of place to me for a place like this. She was the only employee I had ever seen here, and at this point I'm wondering if she's ever had a day off. 

“Thanks, Tami,” I said with a smile as she placed my usual order on the table. It wasn’t really anything special, just plain normal coffee. I prefer a simple drink when I come here after all.

...plus it's cheaper…

She nodded, but said nothing as per usual as she returned to the bar. I'm like 99% confident she's mute, that or she's impossibly shy. I've never heard even a peep from her before.

I finally managed to get comfortable, feeling like I was sinking into the booth’s cushions. I brought the cup up to my lips and took a drink, letting out a satisfied sigh afterwards.

If only every day could be this nice. Peaceful, relaxed, quiet-

“Oh hey, I knew I’d find you here!” a cheerful feminine voice exclaimed as she walked up and sat across from me.

Nevermind.

113