Chapter 7 – Nightmare
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Many official guards of this town stand in each corner of a luxurious mansion. They’re observing at many people who just entered the hall with a distrustful look. They still couldn’t believe why their lord let these people entered this mansion considering their history.

This town, Najual Town, suffered many casualties after armed conflict a few years ago with the other side – the armies from Galos town. The conflicts escalated a few times and nearly became a full-blown civil war.

If they let the thing take its course, the war will happen in a year or even less. Of course, when that happened, the citizens and the armies already prepared.

Nevertheless, it didn’t happen. A few weeks ago, they got the news that the Galos town failed to defend the attack from the demon race. The demon race occupied their town and used it as their base.

Many people in Najual town receive this news with a cheer. With this incident, they had the advantage of choosing whether they wanted to negotiate or to wipe them out. It sounded extreme from an outsider perspective, but it was morally acceptable considering their culture and their position as open enemies.

However, their lord’s unforeseen command caught them off guard.

Their lord’s choice to receive this party as guests instead of just eliminate them was inexplicable. They had the upper ground, people supports, and justifiable moral reason to do so.

If only the lord didn't directly order them to stay put earlier, a clash between the Najual’s soldier and Galos’ soldier would break out right here, right now.

Even though they were supposed on the same side as two towns with the same neutral alignment, they didn’t even try to hide their hatred towards each other. The atmosphere was tense, everyone stood in a position where they could draw their weapon if a command arise.

Whether the Najual’s soldier or the Galos’ soldier, they glared to each other full of abhorrence. Neither of them wanted to back down and show a sign of weakness to their enemies.

***

Inside a luxurious room, two high-profile men quietly stared at each other, gauging each other façade. None of them wanted to show any weakness to the other side.

As the lords of two towns without alignment to any race, they somewhat reclusive and chose to not associate with politics of other races, which caused their meetings rarely occurred. Their last meeting was half a year ago in the warzone when their armed conflict escalated.

One of them was Najual’s town lord, Rakhual. He sat down in a sumptuous armed chair while stirring a sugar cube in a cup of tea. His lack of official attributes and his informal blue clothes gave him an impression similar to an ordinary citizen.

However, when people heard his achievement in the field of magic, nobody dared to think like that anymore.

In contrast with Rakhual's calm manner, the other party appeared grumpy and a little unhappy, which he didn’t even try to hide. However, it’s understandable when considering what happened to his town. The town that he built and lead ambushed by many groups of demons and occupied by them.

He was Galos’ town lord, Hezkel. He stood up while still glaring at the Rakhual intensely. He wore a silver armour and a red cape with a phoenix image on his back. The same phoenix picture also displayed as a palm-sized insignia on his chest. He will look like a dashing cavalier with his sculpted body if only he remove the frown from his face.

Hezkel glanced and scanned this room while still in his stoic face. He realised this room was Rakhual’s private room from the high amount of rare magic books here. Most of them arranged neatly in their racks while three opened in a desk near where Rakhual sat.

There were many notes and scribbles shown on those books. It was absurd for someone who had the same age as himself to already in the stage of correcting mistakes in magic books. Even though they were enemies, Hezkel couldn’t help to felt respect for people who put this many efforts to achieve his dream.

Nevertheless, this and that were different matters. They’re still not friendliest term.

“Get straight to the point and make it fast. None of us could stop the soldiers if they went rampage and started to put their swords on each other throats,” Hezkel spoke brashly.

Rakhual was silent for a moment while looking at the phoenix insignia on the Hezkel’s chest.

The phoenix was Galos’ symbol of pride, it’s representing an ancient beast that always rises from its ash. This ideology brought people together under Hezkel, a man that even though lost countless fights, but always come back stronger and fiercer.

Hezkel created the Galos town from a wasteland into a town with a terrifying military might in just a few years.

And even this time, when Hezkel just lost his town, many people followed him and already waited for his next move. He had charisma and strength that make people wanted to put hopes onto him.

“I agree, Hezkel. it’s our best interest to keep it short,” Rakhual put down his cup and spoke to the Galos’ town lord – Hezkel.

“Lilo Silph, era not e ki o nor,” Rakhual chanted with a low voice, but Hezkel heard it clearly with his sharp ears.

A small wind appeared from nowhere and bring the books on the desk into their racks. It was a simple spell which often Rakhual used unconsciously. It was his habit to train his affinity with mana.

Hezkel observed the whole thing, even though he still maintained his stoic face, he couldn’t help but amazed by Rakhual's earlier demonstration. Only true experts can shorten their incantations and still got the results they desire. Rakhual, the one who used less than twenty syllables on his incantation just show his mastery over wind magic.

It was like a rule of thumbs; the higher someone understanding about a type of magic, the shorter their incantation.

Most of the nobles also employed wizards with this rule in mind.

“Please, sit down,” Rakhual asked after finishing his spell.

“I’d rather stand as my soldiers are waiting outside,” Hezkel answered coldly.

Rakhual fell silent for a moment before finally opened his mouth.

“Fine. I’ll cut it short for you. I needed you to join me to defend this town…”

Before Rakhual continued his words, it was cut short by Hezkel.

“And here I was wondering what so important that you called me despite everything,” Hezkel said without hiding his mockery. “Apparently, it’s just another load of bullcrap.”

Hezkel sighed, “if that’s what you just want to say. I’ll be on my way to take over another town.”

“If that the case, why are you sitting down?” Rakhual said with a smile after seeing Hezkel sat down at the chair in the front of him.

“Even though I hate you very much. I know what kind of person you are. You aren’t the kind of person who told this kind of shit without any reason,” Hezkel put his right hand on the armchair and then prop his chin against his palm.

“Now. Tell me, what is the reason?”

“Well, how I must say this,” Rakhual sighed. “I suppose you didn’t get any news from two weeks ago.”

Hezkel was quiet before nodded. His spy can’t enter the town while he was tightly under siege.

“I thought so,” Rakhual said. “Two weeks ago. Gehenna got destroyed from the inside.”

“Impossible,” Hezkel stood up and yelled after hearing it.

“I also reacted like this when I got this info, but it’s true. You can confirm it yourself later. So, calm down, denial won’t change anything.”

Hezkel looking menacingly at the Rakhual eyes as though he wanted to saw through into Rakhual heart while breathing erratically. After a while, he calmed down, sat down again, and took a deep breath.

“Forgive my outburst,” Hezkel said and then sighed. “This will be a very long chat.”

“Don’t worry, I already prepared a residence for your groups,” Rakhual smiled.

“You’re really prepared as usual. But fine, this time, I’ll take your offer.”

“Oh my, thank you,” Rakhual said, which only replied with a little smile from Hezkel.

Hezkel silent for a moment and then asked, “That ‘event’ also supposed happened about two weeks ago. Is this directly related to it?”

“If what we thought is true, then it’ll be a nightmare for all of us. I truly hope that wasn’t the case,” Rakhual sighed, “but…”

***

 

I couldn’t understand many strange things that happened today, it may because I was really as dumb as my uncle said. Even so, I know this occurrence was very odd.

After I finally gathered my courage to run away from my uncle, I fainted on the alley.

When I woke up, I was already in a white and strange place. It was scary at first, but when I notice that uncle wasn’t here anymore, I somehow felt relieved.

In this place, some balls were floating around. It's like a toy that I see other children played around with. Whenever I touched those balls, my body felt light, and my pain lessened. My hunger also disappeared, I felt like I was eating to the fullest today.

No wonder other children love to play with a toy.

After a while, I felt a strange thing from both sides of my head. It was coming from the people who open their mouths wide. It was loud, unpleasant, and somewhat made my ear itchy.

Was it what people called as noise.

I was deaf, so this feeling was new to me.

Not long after, a fairy-like creature that similar to a picture I saw in the bookshop appeared on the sky. Miss fairy was charming. Her lustrous golden hair, her glittering wings, her lovely dress. Everything about her was stunning.

If only I were like her. Maybe uncle won’t hurt me anymore.

Soon, I feel something that I never felt before. It was directly sensed by my head. Maybe it was what people called talking.

‘Was it the fairy voice?’ I thought because everyone looking at her.

It was a beautiful voice.

I didn’t know what she talked about. Some words, I understand. Some words, I didn’t. Nevertheless, her voice was comforting and relaxing.

But soon, my body felt heavy. It seemed miss fairy was angry about something. I don’t know what she’s mad about, but I know it’s better not move and just quiet like when uncle angry.

And shortly, miss fairy not angry anymore. Somebody already talked with her about something I didn’t know. And then miss fairy started talking again with her gentle voice.

Is this what people call heaven? Because I enjoy this feeling of safety and warmness here.

‘If this is a dream, please don’t wake me up.’

But I woke up. In an unfamiliar place.

There were many plants, they were tall and lush. They were so different from the plants that I saw in my uncle's place.

This place gave a weird and strange feeling. Different from that white place, I felt many dangerous things surrounding this place.

It was scary. My hand can’t stop shaking, and I felt nauseous.

Not only me, but the people around me also shaken. They let out a loud voice that I didn’t understand. Maybe they were shouting something, but I couldn’t understand what they were saying.

Just after that, a man’s head disappeared. Bitten by a big snake that slept on a tree. This scenery was scary, and I wanted to puke, but then realised almost all people running away.

I felt I must follow them, and so, I also run away following one of them. After a while, those people stopped running after realising that the snake didn’t give chase.

And then, those people sat down and started to talk with a language that I didn’t understand. They looked confused at first, but after trying out different odd noises, they could talk to each other.

Even so, I still didn’t understand what they were doing.

Nevertheless, they didn’t chase me away. So, I still followed this group because I felt safe with more people around. They even gave me the food first after finding fruits in this weird place. Even though they stared me weirdly when I ate that fruit, they didn’t try to hurt me. Maybe they were kind people.

‘God, please bless these nice people.’

But soon, all of them also die. A strange creature appeared and bite people here while I lay on the ground because I was too afraid to move.

That creature ate those people's bodies one by one, and soon, it crept closer to my body. It wanted to eat me. This was my ending.

However, before it bit me, suddenly that creature stopped while looking around. It let out a small shriek before it ran away. However, its attempt to run was futile as a huge bird flew down from the sky and catch that creature.

I was afraid and confused about what happened. So, I run away. I didn’t know where I want to go. I went without direction as I wanted to get away as far as possible from this place.

Soon, I found people and then a city. I wanted to go inside because I thought it was safer than on the outside, but a man with a uniform prevented me while talking with language that I didn't understand.

I tried to force my way in, but the man was stronger than me. He seemed angry and then pointed at a line of people. It seemed he wanted me to wait like everybody else.

I nodded and then sat in the corner. I finally calmed down. However, when I remember what happened earlier, many emotions stirred in my heart.

Tears flowed on my cheek. I tried to wipe them out, but it won’t stop. My body trembled a little when I remember how that snake bit that man head. I shrivelled when I remembered when that creature ate everybody. And I wept after realising my fragility.

Will I die painfully like that?

It’s been long since last time I cried like this. Whenever I cried, my uncle always hurt me. So, I never cry like this.

But this was okay, right? Uncle wasn’t here.

After a while, the man with a uniform called me. He talked with weird language again while pulling me from the line. It seemed my turn to go inside was come. I step inside the gate but stopped by the man.

He seemed angry about something while gesturing something with his hand.

I’m sorry, I didn’t understand anything. So, I fell silent. I didn’t know what to do. I tried to force my way in again, but the man immediately stopped me.

He snapped and then shouted at me. His face now was similar to my uncle when he wanted to hurt me.

It’s scary. Unconsciously, I took a step back, but I stumbled and fell down.

It was terrifying, and then another tear flowed again. I tried to wipe out those tears quickly, but it won’t stop.

I saw the man overlap with uncle's image, the thought that he’ll beat me because my sobbing voices surfaced in my head.

‘I afraid. It was hurt. Please don’t hurt me.’

I closed my eyes and buried my head into my knees.

‘I will become a good child and won’t ever cry anymore. So, please, don’t hurt me.’

The painful thought keeps resurfacing and made me trembles while the tears still won’t stop.

‘Somebody, please help me. Just end all of this.’

In between my sobbing, I felt a hand caressing my head. I didn’t know who he was, but he looked me in the eyes and told me something.

He stood up and talked with the man in uniform, and after a while, the man in the uniform guide him towards a room. He grabbed my hand and bring me with him.

He seemed to notice my shivering hand and stroke my head, it was gentle and soothing. His hand was cold but warmer than everybody that I ever met, it’s strange. Can I trust you?

The room had a beautiful crystal, the man put his hand on it and then put my hand on it. After it was finished, he gave something to the guard and then rushed towards the gate.

Was it money? So I need money to go inside this town.

After I entered the city, I felt awe with the scenery. It was the most beautiful thing that I ever saw.

Suddenly the man let out a voice towards me, which shook me. He seemed thinking for something and then lowered his body and stared me intensely.

I didn’t like this gaze.

After a while, he let out a weird voice and then mumbled something which followed by a sudden shout.

He tried to talk again, but this time I could slightly recollect something from his mouth movement. It’s moving like when I met uncle the first time, and also that weird man in that alley where uncle sold me.

I backed down. This man was suspicious, after all. I slapped his hand and run away from him.

He yelled something, but I didn’t stop. I didn’t know what he’ll do if I stop.

When I realise it, he already running next to me and grabbed my hands. He put something inside my palm and then yell out a weird word while gesturing ‘one’ with his hand.

I looked at the thing he put in my palm and felt an urge to grab it. The next thing I saw was a floating thing, it wants me to choose.

I chose the choice with number one in it. I felt something emerge in my head, many things which made my head hurts.

When it stopped, I could understand the clamour around me, the shout around me. It was weird and confusing. There were many stares pointed at me, and I could know that those bystanders talked about me.

It was uncomfortable and nauseating.

“S- stay away from me…” I screamed.

‘Wait, I screamed? I talked? What’s happened.’

I didn’t know what to do, and so, I run again. It was a weird feeling to understand what people talking about, it wasn’t uncomfortable, but it was a bit overwhelming.

“Oooi. If you already cool down your head and need any help, search for me.”

I heard him shouted at me. I stopped for a moment trying to understand what he meant, I looked at him for a moment before finally chose to run again.

Not long after, I stopped in a narrow alley while trying to regulate my breath.

“It was tiring,” I mumbled as I lean my back to the wall.

“Ah, I can speak?” I exclaimed because of this weird feeling.

I gulped and then said, “A. I. U E. O. Ehehe that feels strange.” I giggled a little.

“Hello, my name is Mei Xing. I am fourteen years old. I hope we can be friends,” I talked slightly louder.

I often imagine this scene where I went to school and could introduce myself like others and had friends that spent their time playing with me. It was a fleeting dream, which I understand won’t come. However, I now can talk, I slightly felt happy and made my imaginations run wild.

This happiness was an odd feeling for me, but I didn’t dislike it.

*Growl*

When I busy fantasised, a sound coming from my belly.

“Was that the sound of hunger?” I mumbled, and then I started rummaging dumpster near the alley.

There was some leftover food thrown by the resident here, which then I ate to the fullest. Luckily, my experience as a beggar helped me to find edible food. Even though they appear dirty, they won’t hurt my stomach.

After I finished eating, I fell asleep even though the sun yet to set. Maybe it was because I tired or because I already feel full, I sleep soundly this time.

There was no nightmare like usual.

1