15 || The Killing of Sir Cole
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Words: 1641

(Unedited)

~

Everyone sat around a long dining table. It was full of foreign food that Li Yan couldn’t even begin to try to name. The newer players were less on edge and seemed as if they were on vacation, but the more experienced players showed some reluctance to the food in front of them.

“In the rooms, the food shouldn’t be trusted.” Li Bao who was sitting next to him leaned over and whispered. “Although we no longer need to eat to survive, the rooms can always adjust our bodies accordingly. For example, we enter a room that is themed around being stranded in the desert. The room enables us to feel hunger and be affected by it, making us have to eat the food given in the room.”

“I understand.” Li Yan nodded. He glanced at the empty seats and noticed that out of all the npcs only Madam Fiona and Felix were sitting at the table. They didn’t mind the players and were having their own private conversation.

“Pardon.” Everyone stopped talking and looked over to see the three kids being brought in by a maid. “The children went to play outside and had to clean up.”

“It’s okay, let the kids be kids.” Madam Fiona waved her hand at the bowing maid. “Venus and Lawrence come sit.” She motioned the children over, leaving Gael unnoticed and unmentioned. None of the maids nor family members said anything, indicating this behavior was normal. Venus seemed a bit melancholy and pulled Gael along by grabbing his wrist. The only one left to be sat at the table was now Sir Cole, the main focus of the night.

There was a slight clinking noise, and everyone turned to look at Sir Cole who entered while tapping on an empty wine glass. “Pardon me, but I would like to give some thanks before we start our meal.”

He glanced at the players and then at his family members and gave a polite smile. “Thank you to my co-workers for being able to make it to dinner. Thank you to my brother for his support. Thank you to my children for being the light of my life. And thank you to my wife for being the most beautiful and intelligent woman in the world.” He continued saying some other filler words and at the end of his speech he did a confident bow.

“Now may we start our meal.”

All the players sat up straight and heightened their senses. Everyone knew from the prompt earlier that there would be a murder happening. They all sat and were curiously observing the environment, waiting for the moment of the murder. Anticipation was rising slowly as Sir Cole took his seat and spread out his napkins and silverware.

Many of the players had a false hope that if they could figure out the murderer right now, then the room would be over shortly.

“The lights will probably go off.” Li Bao whispered to Li Yan. “The rooms would never make it easy. Pay attention to the sounds of the people and their expressions.”

“Any detail is important.” Li Yan added and nodded in agreement. Li Bao smiled and patted him on the back. “That’s my cousin!”

Pomegranate was sitting on the other side of Li Yan and silently observed the npcs while the other two girls were chatting amongst themselves.

“Isn’t this place super fancy! I couldn’t even afford this place if I sold all my newest clothes.” Lola exclaimed. She held Elise’s arm and shook it a bit. “Isn’t it so cool?”

“It’s nice I suppose.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“Something about this place makes me restless.” Elise explained.

“Well a murder will take place soon. Isn't it like that game people would play in class when they were bored? Guess the murderer and weapon? I forgot the name of it.” Lola chattered and Elise simply listened and nodded along.

“Oh! The livestream says they have never heard of such a game.” Lola seemed to be very interested in the new interface given to the players. Li Yan felt like he could’ve been a bit like her if he was more outgoing.

Since Elise seemed a bit on edge, Lola turned to interacting with her livestream instead. She whispered and looked toward Elise, so none of the npcs thought she was being weird.

“Ah! How are you?” Sir Cole turned his attention to Pomegranate who sat closest to him.

“I’m good, sir.” Although he didn’t seem like it, Pomegranate could become a well mannered citizen when he wanted to.

“Do you have any input on how work is going? I’ve been meaning to implement some new ideas into the office to improve work conditions.”

Pomegranate continued to answer his small talk, and the other players also got attracted by their conservation and watched in interest. They all internally sighed, glad that they were not the subject of questioning. The questions seemed simple at first, but got progressively harder and more specific, they didn’t think they would be able to answer as well as Pomegranate was.

He efficiently answered the questions in a precise yet vague manner, enough to satisfy Sir Cole. Pomegranate, unlike Li Yan’s first impression, was very sensible and not impulsive at all. Perhaps he shouldn’t have judged him too harshly.

Sir Cole was satisfied with Pomegranate’s answers then turned to everyone else. “When will you guys eat? Must I serve you myself?” He gave a hearty laugh before digging into his own food with elegance.

The rest of the Coles also began to eat while everyone else cautiously looked at them. Lola seemed the least hesitant to eat and started to gather her favorites from the table. Elise looked at her and then the others before she finally pulled back her hands that were reaching for the food. She wanted to wait for the others first.

Pomegranate just shrugged and started to eat while Li Bao also started to slowly move around food on her plate. Li Yan followed in his cousin's actions and Elise also followed. None of them ate their food, but they did gather a plate full of food to make it appear so.

After waiting a few minutes, Pomegranate went “Ah” and started to eat the food he gathered. Simultaneously, Li Yan also felt a pain in his stomach and shot a confused look towards his cousin. His cousin quickly explained to him, “We were waiting to see if this room would force us to eat. That pain in your stomach is your hunger being enabled again.” Elise was in hearing range and looked down at her stomach in worry.

Lola was already eating so she didn’t notice, but everyone else started to slowly consume their food. Sir Cole seemed happy and continued his own meal as well. The group didn’t know when or who would be murdered, so they were all glancing up at him once in awhile to check him and his surroundings. Sir Cole was the most likely victim in their eyes, but the other family members could be as well.

Some time had passed and nothing had happened yet. Lola seemed to have started feeling more confident than earlier and began chatting across the table with Sir Cole who politely smiled and answered her questions. Madam Fiona tossed a look at Sir Cole and Lola that Li Yan had briefly noticed, but Madam Fiona turned away just as fast.

He didn’t know if what he saw was an illusion or not.

There were maids and butlers constantly walking around the table, and the family members were all seated and normally interacting, making it hard to pinpoint a possible suspect. Li Bao let out a sigh. “Why do we always get the harder rooms with you!” She gave Li Yan a playful pat on the back while leaning on him.

“Cousin just wanted a break!”

Pomegranate looked at her weirdly before turning back to his meal. He seemed to enjoy the food quality, disregarding the caution from before.

“Shouldn’t you slow down? What if something is in it?” Li Yan couldn’t help but mention. “If I die, at least I’ll be happy.” Is what Li Yan was answered with.

Pomegranate confirmed that Li Yan was Li Bao’s cousin just now, so he relaxed his guard a little more than before. “Here, try this.” Pomegranate passed Li Yan a biscuit of some sorts in hopes of improving their relationship.

“Thanks…” Li Yan looked at Pomegranate who changed his attitude and thought of a weird idea in his head while he was at it. He took the biscuit and began to chew on it when the lights suddenly started to flicker. Lola was also caught off guard and let out a bit of a squeal before the lights fully went off.

A thud sounded and then suddenly the lights turned on as quickly as they went out.

“Dad?!” Venus was the first one to react and she quickly jumped out of her seat and ran towards the man who was now laying on the floor. Whatever happened to him wasn’t noticeable from the outside and Li Bao secretly let out a grumble in her heart.

She just wanted this to be an easy room! She doesn’t want to room with her stupid cousin again. Such bad luck!

“Dear!” Madam Fiona got over her shock and also ran over. “All of you stay back!” Tears started to stream down her face and ruin her makeup while Felix also got up next to her.

Lola’s face went pale and she fainted into Elise’s arms. Pomegranate was frowning while looking at Sir Cole while Li Yan was silently observing the scene. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a black two headed cat walking out of the room.

~

AN: Sorry I've been busy lately. I also kind of want the chapters to be shorter? I'm not too sure. We will see. I'll do one or two more chapters after this one since I've been gone for a bit. They'll be out later today.

2