Chapter 5: Skills
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With our training, a week passed. It wasn’t as though we magically improved a lot. Many of us struggled to even do ten rounds of the track at a constant speed. The Old Man, or rather, the instructor’s name was Arthur Von Gambit. We pushed past our limits every day. And those who couldn’t do it weren’t given any food. No one could even complain, the fact was that we simply were a burden and so we were pushed harder.

After the initial day of training began, I never saw the ‘Helos’ squad again. However right now, I have to get as powerful as possible. I can’t stop running, the moment I do, the others will surpass me. I must keep my pace, I must keep running, because if I don’t, then I can’t get what I want.

Once I was done with my ten rounds, even though I felt like I would collapse, I assembled myself into formation again. The instructor yelled, “Attention!

The ground shook when we stomp our feet down, it seemed as though the entire world was just this training ground where you must do your best or you lose. There were others similar to me, who were doing their best. The most notable were Micheal, Eiji, Saravanan. I was wary of all three. That was because I didn’t like trusting people. The moment you do, you’ve gained a weakness. 

Hypocrite.’ The word resounded in my heart, but I didn’t give way for doubt and logic to ruin me. The only reason I put up with this is so that I can be with my friends, happily. I want nothing more in this world than their happiness, and for that goal, I’d even sell my soul to the devil.

The training usually lasted about six hours a day, we’d have to do a minimum of forty rounds, of course there were breaks in the middle. But that still didn’t take away from how much this training drained me. Ten rounds took me approximately thirty minutes but I’d always collapse onto the floor after the rounds. However I have been getting better at it, and my stamina grew. My endurance grew from just two points to almost five points. Although this might not look like much, I have to keep in mind that this was only in a week. 

Nevertheless, the instructor looked at us, he said, “You otherworlders may not know... I only say this as your instructor. But please stay wary of where you are and who you are. Those who do not have power do not have the leisure of living as they want.

For some reason, when I saw his eyes, I understood. I understood that these were the words of a man who’s been through the toughest. I strengthened my resolve and stared straight into his eyes. He smiled at me and then he walked away. His aide announced, “Starting today we’re going to be learning how to use skills.

He then shouted, “Follow me!

It was then that we actually walked through the corridor on the lower floor, because usually we’d just just go back to our rooms after training. I saw a multitude of rooms, some ranging from alchemy all the way to just what seemed like dungeons of torture. I didn’t pay attention to all of them, but the one that caught my attention was the one named ‘Communication Orb.’ This made me wonder if they had the capability to communicate across long distances, although seeing how no one has this so-called thing, I’d have to guess that it’s probably only used for formal occasions. I did try to think of the capabilities it could have, but of course that would be impossible without me seeing it in action or atleast gathering info about it.

Nevertheless, we then stopped at a room, it was a practice room as indicated by the sign in front. The aide turned to us and said, “Get the book necessary for your skill and start learning. We would usually teach the heroes, but you guys are... Just ask the librarian for the specific skill-set you have. You’re free to read whatever book you want, but we will need you to at least activate your skill after today. I’ll be giving you all just about three hours.

He then turned away and walked back. All of us nervously entered the library, we didn’t know what to expect.

When I took my first step, the smell of old books reverberated through the room. Huge shelves covered my vision, it seemed like this place was the biggest source for information. Most likely because it’s in the castle, I doubt I’d be able to get this many books elsewhere within this kingdom. To be honest I was overwhelmed, I had never seen this many books in one place, however that might also be due to my reluctance to read books.

When I looked to my side, I saw the librarian and a few people going through what looked like documents. And next to them were rows of tables, where you could read the books. I noticed people who I was familiar with, it was Dai, Amy, and Isabella.

After that day... I couldn’t dare get in their world again.

All I have to do is stay away.

All I have to do is try my best.

All I have to do is to become better. 

But why..? Why am I crying..?

0