Chapter 23
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 23

 

The corridors of the palace were striking in their decoration. Colorful tapestries filled all the walls, showing battlefields, victories in great wars, and of course the heroes of the past who laid down their lives for the sake of their region. There were busts of past rulers, exquisite vases and artifacts deemed worthy to become part of the vast collection of the palace. Resources, money and people flocked here from all over the world. The king, or his designer, did not skimp at all, showing their wealth.

 

The prince walked along the corridor, showing Zee the way, stopping occasionally and listening to the sounds. Sometimes they met servants. People stopped their activities and bowed before the prince, remaining in this position until he passed them.

 

- “My secret passage has a minus, it takes quite a long time to get to my wing, I hope we will not meet her” - Alexander began the conversation

 

- “Whom shall we not meet, your highness?” - Zee asked modestly. He was no stranger to politely communicate with people above him in status, these skills from a past life came in handy as never before.

 

A young girl appeared around the corner. She stopped and did not bow her head, assessing Zee, who unsuccessfully tried to hide behind the prince. He immediately recognized her; it was a princess. Beautiful and crazy, killing people and enjoying a kind of love among the others.

 

- “Good afternoon, brother! Isn’t he really nice today?” - She spoke with a smile.

 

- "Hello, Irene " - The expression on his face changed. All emotions disappeared, now in place of a friendly guy, there was a figure of the future king, carved as if from marble. A cold gaze, as if passing through the princess.

 

- “Are you worried about your little marquis? Upset? Don't be afraid, I promised not to torture him, he died quickly” - She didn't try to hide her smile, enjoying the conversation.

 

- “I don’t know what you’re talking about, probably a daytime execution? The marquis broke the law and was executed, it means nothing to me” – If Alexander felt any emotions, he did not give even the slightest hint of their existence.

 

- “You can lie all you want, but I know that you are up to something, and as soon as I find out what, dad will let me play with your other friends!” - She laughed.

 

- “Be careful, dear sister. Even in the palace, it's not safe now” - His eyelid twitched.

 

- "This is a threat?" - From around the corner came a huge man, clad in plate armor. The face was hidden under a diamond-shaped mask, divided into four colored parts by a white cross - “No one is allowed to threaten the princess!”

 

The giant's hands wrapped around the hilts of the swords protruding from behind his back. He took a fighting stance, ready to cut everything around.

 

- “Leave him alone, Morgan. This time, I forgive him, because the day is very good. But remember his companion" - She turned to Zee, who was examining the floor - "If you want to play with me, just say, Morgan will take you to the game room"

 

Irene laughed again and walked down the corridor, accompanied by a mountain of steel. Alexander waited a few minutes and then spat on the floor; face twisted.

 

Soon they were at the high doors, covered with gold ornaments. They were opened by a couple of servants. The prince gave them a series of instructions, and they went to different ends of the corridor.

 

- “Sorry for this scene, my sister is not the nicest person in the kingdom, hell, even if she gets into a room with a maniac, it will be difficult to know who is more dangerous” - He plopped down on the low sofa and put a pillow under his arms.

 

- “It's you, whom must excuse me. It was an honor to meet your sister, Prince Alexander” - Zee bowed again.

 

- “Zee, buddy, that's enough. There's a soundproof barrier here, you can just call me Alex. I have never suffered from a lust for power. Look, here is my friend” - he said casually, when a man with a gray beard, who accompanied them, entered the room.

 

His appearance was rather eccentric. The suit looked like something Zee had seen in an eighteenth-century TV show. Short pants, a thick shirt with wide sleeves, stockings and a waistcoat with a couple of buttons that had fallen off. His beard was disheveled, as if he had faced a hurricane, and his head was decorated with a semicircle of hair, with an incredibly bald and shiny middle. Someone tried to dress up the barbarian, making him a respectable member of society.

 

- “You look great, Deim” - the prince greeted him mockingly.

 

- “Very funny, Alex. Another two damn weeks to walk around in that suit! There's nowhere even to attach my ax! Damn Veronica and her card cheating” – Deim poured himself a glass of wine from a jug standing nearby and sat down in an armchair opposite the prince.

 

- “You yourself accepted the bet, although you knew how it would end!” - Alex laughed - “Meet me, this is my savior, a simple traveler Zee. And you sit down, make yourself at home!”

 

- "Thanks. Hello, Sir Deim” - Zee sat on the edge of the chair, fearing to damage the heap of gilding that covered every millimeter of it.

 

- “Just Deim. And thank you, few here have enough eggs to stand against a nobleman” - He said and raised his goblet in greeting.

 

- “By the way, we ran into Irene. You have to be careful, she got too close, and her antics are getting worse”

 

- “Alex, I don't think this is the right time and place for discussion. Although we are grateful to Zee, we should not involve him in these matters” - Dame replied.

 

- “Too late, she noticed him. Perhaps Sir Morgan will drop in to see us…” - A wave of tension passed through the room.

 

- "Fuck! Is this your gratitude? Already dragged the kid into our showdown. Fuck knows how we can stop him. I propose to gather everyone and try to get out of the palace. Hey man, you need to get out of the capital. Urgent” - He turned his gaze to Zee, whose eyes were widening.

 

“I shouldn't have helped him. Damn, what should I do now?! There were few problems, now the princess of people will also try to kill me? I'm definitely cursed…”

 

- “Forgive me, Zee. She should have been at the execution much longer... I dragged you into royal games. At least I'll tell you what happened and set aside an amount that will last you a lifetime. Please don't despair. You are safe with me” - The prince stood up, walked over to Zee, and sat down on a chair next to him. Ignoring the surprised face, he continued - “My sister and I are fighting for the throne. My father trusts me more, but she does everything to get ahead. And her methods are not the most pleasant. Irene is trying to hurt me, to get to everyone I care about. There are few such people left, so she hits everyone she can reach. I have four friends left who can fend for themselves. The fifth was hanged today, by order of the Father. I didn't think we'd run into her today, I'm really sorry. Her servant Morgan, he is stronger than our father. Several times. I'm afraid we won't be able to protect you for long, but we'll help you get out of the capital."

 

 

 - “We just had to talk. Just talk. Now your crazy sister wants to cut off my head or something worse. I need to escape from the capital. And you're sorry. It's just a pity” - Zee stood up from his chair. Emotions from a past life flooded like a river. Senpai always asked for small favors, which led to an avalanche of work. Zee always remained guilty. Only he. And he says - “Enough! Fuck it all, I can't take it anymore. Every time I play hero, a madman comes and demands something from me. First this Goddess, then the Elven Princess, and now you. Fuck you! I deserve a quiet life! DESERVED!”   

 

Zee spoke louder and louder until he started screaming. At this time, Deim approached him and punched him in the stomach.

 

- “Don't forget, boy, you're in the presence of a prince. All commoners lose their heads when they're given a little freedom” - he said as Zee tried to catch his breath, crouching on the floor - “That's enough, Alex. If he wants to go, let him go. I'll give him some money and then I'll get him out of here. Don't worry, in one piece"

 

There was a knock on the door.

 

“Probably dinner. Deim, open the door” – Alex bent over Zee, helping him up. He didn't expect this outcome. The day started badly and got worse and worse.

 

Dame opened the sash and saw the maid standing in the doorway with her head bowed.

 

- “Hey, where is your food cart …” - She shot him in the stomach with a catapult. No, it was even stronger. It seemed that her fist just touched him, but the blow was too strong. Time slowed down and the brain of the old mercenary tried to understand what was happening here. Why did his navel touch his spine? Why lunch leaves the stomach, and pants are filled with something warm.

 

The course of time returned to normal and his body, having overcome the room, broke through the wall through.

 

Immediately, three more people appeared in the room. Two shadows stood in the center, holding short daggers that glowed dimly with purple light. The prince was covered by the back of the sorceress, in a pointed hat.

She held a crystal ball in her hands, inside which magic circles appeared and disappeared.

 

The twin-like shadows flashed, filled with amplification magic, and rushed to attack the maid. The blades almost touched her skin as she was gone.

 

She hovered over them.

 

Warm hands touched them. The gentle pressure on one side of the head quickly escalated into an acceleration that pushed their foreheads together. A concussion and several cracks caused a long sick leave. Although the brother and sister planned to spend their vacation a little differently.

 

The maid landed, mimicking a bow. And she closed the door with her foot.

 

- “You tried to kill the owner. You put him in danger. You have no forgiveness” - Asura's eyes burned red, so angry, Zee had never seen her before.

 

The sorceress yelled something, and lightning flashed from the surface of the ball, burning through the maid's uniform. She paid no attention to such an attack and launched a kick, aiming at the girl's head.

 

Barriers flickered in the air, shattering one by one under the pressure of brute force. The ball began to change color, blinking more and more often. The sorceress's face was covered in sweat as she tried to hold on to as many defensive spells as she could, building up more and more layers.

But the ball is out. A crack appeared in its center, and it shattered into a thousand pieces. But Asura's kick missed, ripping off her pointed hat.

 

There was a sound of metal behind the door.

Two bright lines appeared at the edges of the passageway and the doors crashed inward.

 

Behind them stood Morgan, holding two flaming blades. One was enveloped in green flames, raging and wild. The second one slowly smoldered in blue light.

 

Without saying a word, they engaged in battle. The war golem moved at a terrifying speed, dodging the blows of blades shining in the air. Everything that fell under their blow quickly turned into ashes, devoured by magical flames.

Asura counterattacked, taking the blow of the blade with her boot, which burned away in a second. Her blows rained mercilessly into the swordsman's abdomen, leaving deep dents in the armor. The next swing of the blade cut off a strand of her hair. She left him with an elegant turn, leaving a footprint in the stone floor, and stabbed the giant in the side with her knee.

 

The blades fell from his hands, and a thin trickle of blood flowed from behind the visor.

The maid wasn't about to show pity to the would-be killers of her master. She lifted her leg into a vertical split and planted her heel on Morgan's head, crushing his skull.

 

- "Master! Are you okay?" - She sat down next to him and examined the stomach - "Your bruise, still not gone. He used some kind of skill! If not for regeneration, you could have died”

 

- “You are mistaken, Deim would never…” - The prince tried to control the situation, coming out of shock, but Asura waved her hand and a smooth line of blood streaked his face.

 

- “Thank you, Asura. Only you can I trust. Enough with me, let's go home…” - Zee 's voice was empty and quiet. Now he just wanted to rest. Even a bit.

 

There was a growl from behind. Morgan got up slowly. Blood dripped from the crevices of his armor. Everyone felt an eerie flow of power slowly spreading through the room.

 

His body straightened, and the blades were filled with flames again, flaring up even more.

 

- “Pitiful attempts! You are not able to crush me, the great knight, the killer of thousands! And today, you will complete this list. The prince fell, during the attack, I tried to save him, but I was too late” - he said and laughed hoarsely.

 

Asura rushed forward, preparing to strike, but a certain force slammed her into the floor, which was covered with many cracks.

 

The knight moved to Zee 's side and raised his shining blades, preparing to cut through the defenseless target.

 

“Here it is. The End”

 

He thought as the flames approached his face, scorching the hair on his head.

 

A symbol appeared in his eye and Zee went blind.

 

The blades were a mere distance from his face when laughter broke out. Loud, crazy, coming from every corner of the room.

 

The blades flashed and scattered in many colored fireflies. They hurriedly scattered in different directions.

 

Morgan stopped and looked down at his hands clutching the guards.

 

One of the fireflies flew into his helmet. An inner glow filled the armor, it was visible even through the hardened steel. The knight twitched, laughed, and began to stretch. He got higher and higher until he touched the ceiling. The armor went in small waves and fell to the floor. His body disappeared without a trace.

 

The laughter continued. Furniture began to melt, taking previously unknown forms. They violated the laws of physics, curling into endless rings framed by hundreds of angles piercing through space. One of the lamps became an endless fractal, creating ever new smaller copies of itself.

The faces in the portraits began to move, trying to get out of the frame, waving their arms and screaming in their silent world, while the background became the embodiment of hell.

Cyclicity and originality, have become one, driving crazy anyone who could see it.

Huge armor began to turn into jelly, spreading in a puddle and soaking into the fabric.

 

Laughter was interrupted only by the cry of the prince, the part of the face where Asura had struck began to dry up. The flesh tightly framed the skull and the eye socket, which now held purple smooth stone.

 

- “Finally, I feel the closeness of freedom. Thank you, my boy. Now, take a rest. Rest in my arms"

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Inquisitors filled the palace, waiting for their turn to explore the cursed room. There was a heated argument among them about what caused this monstrous incident. And they were ready to give their lives to find the culprit who dared to offend their goddess with such a disgusting act.

 

The servants who discovered the aftermath of the nightmare found only two survivors. A sobbing sorceress who refused to speak. And the Crown Prince, who was trying to reach the blade and go somewhere. It took the help of several priests to give him a healing sleep. The boy was disfigured beyond recognition, half of his face turned into a terrible skull.

 

The princess watched all this, issuing orders and stopping the most heated skirmishes. Finally, the break came and she was left alone in the room.

 

“You will make a good toy, boy. Very good"

 

1