Chapter 35
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The wound did not heal for several weeks. The rest of the way, Bor carried the half-elf on his back. A day later, after the battle with the mercenary, her wounds became inflamed. The worst thing was the leg. Thick pus, mixed with blood, instantly soaked any bandage. Healing did not help, no matter how much Zee tried to improve her condition, an abscess formed at the site of the healed wound, causing unbearable pain, pulsing in time with the beats of her heart.

It remained only to wash the wound and cool her body. When they reached the village, the girl was in critical condition. The fever changed her, in this emaciated body, a clever warrior who overcame many trials was hardly recognizable.

A small settlement hidden under a rock that protects from the eternal wind. Unpretentious cultures, accustomed to the lack of sun, held fast to the scarce land. Rocky plains, more and more like a desert. The winds blew the soil away, leaving room only for moss. But people have found their little oasis in this cursed place.

Healing herbs were more valuable than gold. Merchants were rarely seen here, and even local women did not experience cravings for jewelry. Precious metals, sparkling stones, exquisite products will not feed hungry children. And the turnip has been doing this for centuries. Zee had to work hard, watering the fields with magic, preparing a supply of firewood for the approaching winter. And even though his mana pool did not change, he physically felt exhausted to the limit. Every day, he had to work from morning to evening, for the sake of treatment, a modest room and looking after a companion.

For a week now, he's been here, waiting for help. Bor left the same evening as they were able to settle down for the night and promised to return with help. But time passed, and new news did not appear.

Locals quickly got used to the luxury of such cohabitation. They vied with each other to rush to him, demanding to produce kitchen utensils, furniture, and heal a lame horse. When he couldn't find the right spell, the crowd would tug at his cloak, try to look over his shoulder so they could see the selection menu for themselves, when that didn't work and the sun was setting, everyone dispersed, whispering that some kind of stupid magician was caught by them . Who else would be dragged into such a wilderness? All professionals sit in their towers, drink wine and know nothing about the life of ordinary peasants.

But most of all the troubles were brought by the owners of the house where he lived. The headman of the village, somehow remained the only fat man. A diet of pale vegetables and a few pieces of corned beef left no chance of gaining any meaningful weight. This mustachioed gentleman looked more like a glutton lord, causing himself to vomit several times during dinner in order to enjoy as much food as possible. Zee's stomach, unprepared for the local diet, erupted one evening. Although he was given another portion, it was not difficult to understand that one consumption of this dish was more than enough to temper the spirit.

The fat man forced the magician to fill all available liquid storages with beer. It tasted like a something between acetone and aged urine. However, the owner merrily swallowed barrel after barrel, driving through himself volumes that even a large brewery or a port tavern could hardly cope with. And he liked to chat, the stories abounded with childhood memories, detailed analyzes of soil fertility in different years, and a tenfold repetition of the story about a vegetable in the form of a penis that was stored in their village for fifty years, until it was used for its intended purpose in a famine year. Frequent urges to leave, it would seem, granted the long-awaited peace, but at that moment the hostess appeared in the room, almost at the same second, as if waiting outside the door for a convenient moment. Her requests were more sophisticated, and the works so necessary in village life included paintings, carpets, golden candlesticks and some things that Zee could not imagine the purpose of, extremely similar to the tools of the Inquisition, but always oblong in shape .

________________________________________________________________________________________________

One day, the owners of the house and the magician gathered in the living room. A modest meal, ordinary conversations, nothing foreshadowed trouble. But somewhere there was a scream and then disappeared. They looked out the window, but the village was already plunged into darkness. A pair of lean dogs sniffed peacefully in the yard. As measured blows were heard in the distance. It was like someone was hitting a stone with an iron hammer. The beats got louder and louder. There was silence in the room. The owner's mustache sank into the beer mug as he stared unblinkingly at the door. The hostess froze with a spoon brought to her mouth. Only Zee's head was filled with thoughts of the approach of the enemy. Slowly, without getting out of rhythm, the knocking approached. And then there was the creaking of the gate.

The door swung open, revealing a nightmare incarnate behind it. Something fell into the room. A wild beast covered in thorns and mud. He lay without moving for what seemed like an eternity. Rattling sounds escaped from his throat, like the sounds of dying cattle, just thrashing in agony.

An iron leg flashed in the passageway and landed on the back of the beast.

- “Get up! We've been late enough!” - the figure shouted, appearing in the room. A fragile girl, dressed in a snow-white robe that was hidden under a black cloak. She stood on the creature and looked around.

- “I ... now ... I will die ...” - The body croaked, raising its head.

- “Bor?” - Zee asked in surprise.

- “Yep” - the creature answered with a crooked smile.

Zee hurried to pick up his comrade, when a cloak fell on his head, hiding what was happening.

- “No time! Where is Zwei? Quick, take me to her!” - Despite her physique and childish face, the girl's voice was filled with steel notes. The imperious tone that brooks no objection, setting the world around in action, worked immediately.

The hostess was already leading her by the hand to the second floor, while the owner rushed to open all the doors and drive out the saddle, the sight of which could offend the majestic mistress.

People crowded at the entrance to the small room, not daring to disturb the Saint. El ripped the veil from the half-elf , exposing her. The hostess closed her husband's eyes, the rest began to look for a new point where they could direct their gaze.
Only Zee did not take his eyes off the girl's hand, streams of light, like turbulent rivers, meandering around her wrist, stretching to her graceful fingers. One easy movement and a wave covered Zwei's body , piercing the flesh, rushing deeper and deeper. Her eyes flew open and she screamed until drops of blood and pus rose from the dilated pores of her brown skin. She rose from the bed, illuminated by the divine light. And just as quickly collapsed back.

In the palm of the saint hovered a ball filled with liquid, with a wave of her hand, she sent it to the nearest bucket.

- “Wipe it and give water with salt. By morning she will be better” - With a confident gait, she went to the door, forcing everyone to part. Her cloak flew up and disappeared around the turn of the stairs.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zee looked into the dining room. The saint swayed in a chair by the fireplace, holding a smoking pipe in her teeth.

- “What are you looking at? Come in. Where are the others?” - She asked without turning her head.

- “The master is preparing the room for you, Bor has gone to take a bath… I wanted to ask what kind of magic was that? The whole list was not ...” - He stopped.

- “All over the menu, boy. Of course it wasn't! I spent several years creating my magic. Those stupid spells on the menu are only good for the holidays. Just look, this staff is glowing, let's kneel!” - Her face twisted, and the spit went to the fire.

- “Then how...” - He was interrupted

- “Boy, I was a doctor. Do not look at my youth, magic is an amazing tool that can do a lot. The main thing is to know how to apply it. Of course, I cannot create a cure out of thin air, but speed up recovery, grow new tissues, stimulate glands, or even remove harmful elements!” - The chair hit the floor and turned around with a creak – “I was naive, I dreamed of changing the whole world, healing all diseases. How many times have I read fantasy books, imagining myself in the place of a hero. But here I am, in a wonderful world, gifted by the Goddess herself! And I'm useless... Local diseases are not studied, I don't have the equipment, and such extensive knowledge too. Using the riches of the church, I stepped far, found new ways of healing. But everything turned out to be pointless in the fight against the damned demon. Everything that he created brings death and suffering!”

She propped her leg up on the table, flipping a mug of beer with her prosthesis.

- “LOOK! They believe in me, they yearn for salvation, a better life, and I am not even able to restore my leg! No matter how much I try, the leg dies again and I have to cut it off. So tell me, tell me where have you been? Where were you when we were trying to save all those people?!” - She was shaking with anger, trying to hide her feelings, she took a deep breath, pulled the hood over her head and turned away – “Maybe this is not the fate we chose. Not the world we wanted. But since we're here, we need to save as many people as possible. Now get lost. Tomorrow we will have a conversation...”

________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the morning they ate breakfast in silence. Zwei still struggled to hold the spoon with trembling hands, but to all questions about her condition, she answered that she was fine.

After a meager meal, the hosts went to the field, leaving the four heroes to discuss their next steps.

- “We're leaving today” - El was smoking again, swinging – “We need to get to the city of thieves. Something happened within its walls, the locals are taciturn, even when it comes to their lives. A month ago, a guy came to us, muttering indistinctly about monsters. Gil went to investigate, but never returned. Ner is gathering an army and should already be on his way. You must understand that this is not a rescue mission, but the destruction of an enemy foothold. Whatever it was, it destroyed everyone who did not escape in the first hours”

- “I have a bad feeling. The pig , although softened, gathered talented people around him. I saw these kids, I can't believe they gave up without a fight or couldn't get away” - Bor said, scratching his cropped beard.

- “I agree, Gil is still alive, otherwise we would have known about it” - Zwei supported him – “But then why didn't he give a sign and contact us?”

- “Enough questions! Sitting in this hut, we will not find the answer. Better get ready. We are waiting for a long journey and a harsh battle” - She got up and began to give orders – “Bor, get us a wagon. Zwei , collect all possible provisions. And you, boy, stay”

They left the house, leaving the Saint and the mage alone. She was silent for several minutes. Only deep breaths were heard, and clouds of smoke filled the room.

- “So? How strong are you?” – Closely studying Zee , she asked.

- “I don’t know, but I can stand up for myself” - he answered awkwardly.

- “Good, good. For example, can you destroy this house with one spell?”

- “I think so... If there is time to prepare a spell”

She lifted her head and stared thoughtfully at the ceiling.

- “Okay, get up. Show me your magic”

- “Right here? But then…”

- “Just do it!!!” – She sounded like a boss of the boss of the boss, in Zee’s past life.

He opened the menu and chose the first spell he came across. A stream of fire. If don't invest too much mana, you can set fire to something and quickly put it out, creating water. The owners will not be happy, but the house will remain intact. He put his hand forward, trying to aim closer to the fireplace so as not to burn the entire wooden wall. His mind imagined a long streak of flame, similar to that ejected from a flamethrower. Smooth, hot, fast. Mana rushed to the brush as his head swam. The clouds of smoke began to shine in different colors. The ground is gone from under your feet.

- “Tts. This is what I expected” - the prosthesis settled on his ribs. The magician's body couldn't move, but he remained conscious – “Didn't even notice the poison magic, and I gave you so much time”

The pressure on his leg increased, causing a rush of pain.

- “From tomorrow, I will train you. Without the basics, you will die in the first minutes. Now, go and help them” - She knocked a pipe on the edge of the table and went up to the second floor.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

A few minutes later, Zee was able to move again. He got up, rubbing the bruised place, and went into the yard.

Bor was already near the house and was trying to grease the axle of the cart.

- “Hey, you're just in time! Help me!” - He lifted the cart with both hands, signaling Zee to put the wheel back in place.

- “Listen, Bor, is the Saint always like this?”

- “What is it?”

- “Well, you know, they are usually kind… Vulnerable, naïve maiden, ready to sacrifice herself, even for the sake of the enemy...” - He was interrupted by the fat man's laughter.

- “What would El, yes vulnerable, ahaha” - Lowering the cart, he clutched his stomach, enjoying a reckless joke.

- “What am I asking, with such a Goddess, it's good that I got out alive” - Zee wanted to leave, but a wide hand fell on his shoulder.

- “Do not take to heart. She has a difficult role, like all of us. The people see in her hope, purity, a ray of light, the support of the Gods. And she needs to keep this image, for the sake of others. Only in such situations can she relax and show her true self. You should be glad that she trusts you, even though she just met. Or at least try to understand it...”

- “Thank you, Bor” - Zee saw Zwei walking towards the house with a basket. He ran in her direction, throwing a few words – “I'll go help her”

 

1