Chapter 15 – The Stowaway’s Escape
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alfred perched atop a rooftop, looked up to appreciate the grandeur of the west gate. The West was a formidable structure, serving as one of the main entrances to the city. It consisted of massive, imposing walls made of dark, weathered stone. These walls were adorned with intricate, ominous carvings and were further reinforced by thick iron gates that could be lowered and raised to control entry and exit.

Twin Glowing Orbs flanked the entrance, casting an eerie, flickering light that played tricks on the shadows. Two Grand Statues, chiseled in a stoic and imposing manner, stood on either side of the gate, their eyes warm.

The gate area itself is bustling with activity during the day, with merchants, travelers, and city guards moving in and out. But at night, it takes on a different character, with dimly lit lanterns providing an eerie ambiance as those seeking entry undergo scrutiny by vigilant guards.

This gate was both a symbol of security and the threshold to the unknown, “Maybe unknown dangers are worse than known?” Alfred mused to himself as he felt a wave of regret. The youth reaffirmed his resolve after he heard shouting coming from the direction he just traveled from. The Shadowguard was back on his tail.

The youngster looked back in the direction of the gate and devised a plan. Alfred knew he was unable to enter or leave the city without an identification card, so he turned his attention to the very few carriages attempting to leave at this dead of the night.

Three different groups stood in line, waiting to depart. The boy was bewildered by the seemingly ancient method of travel. However, upon closer inspection, it became apparent that these were no ordinary carriages. What was more intriguing were the creatures harnessed to them.

In one group, their caravan was tethered to a massive avian creature. It stood proudly on long, graceful legs, its iridescent feathers radiating an otherworldly glow that mirrored the ambient light in the surroundings.

The avian creature possessed a slender neck adorned with a regal crest of feathers, expressive eyes, and a delicate beak, exuding an aura of ancient wisdom. Its wings, while appearing delicate, held a deceptive strength that suggested it was more than capable of taking to the skies.

"Wow," Alfred couldn't help but marvel at the majestic bird. Nature had a way of leaving people breathless, and even in his previous world, encountering certain animals for the first time in person had the same effect.

In another group, a massive creature led the way. It boasted a lengthy, serpentine body adorned with vibrant scales that shimmered in fiery shades of red, orange, and gold. Its eyes gleamed with an unsettling intelligence.

"If I had to guess, I'd say that creature breathes fire," Alfred remarked, a bead of sweat trickling down his forehead as he recalled the scorching encounter with Lianfu, the Harem stealer who had ensnared him in this entire predicament.

The creature possessed a regal aura, crowned with majestic Claws that dug into the earth. Its muscular legs hinted at substantial power as if it could erupt into a sprint at any moment.

The last caravan was tethered to an unusual creature: a massive, rhinoceros-like mount with rugged, rocky armored skin. Its formidable horn jutted forward as a warning to would-be highway thieves. This creature appeared more dependable and robust than the other two.

"Now that's a true status symbol!" Alfred exclaimed. While the other two creatures were already substantial in size, the Rhino-like mount dwarfed them in comparison.

Its cargo also matched its size. The youngster had identified his target; by concealing himself beneath the immense carriage being pulled by the Rhino, he felt confident he could evade detection. The border was a perilous location for a Vesperan, as thorough checks were conducted at the gate.

The youth observed that the guards first inspected the cargo and then verified the documentation. Alfred had to slip beneath the carriage during that brief window.

From his vantage point, the youngster could see that the path to the carriage was unobstructed. He descended cautiously to avoid making any noise, staying concealed within the shadows. It had been some time, and a small amount of his Shakti had returned, although his Mana remained depleted.

The youth moved swiftly, pressing himself into the shadows and crouching low to minimize his presence. Once he had approached the carriage as closely as he dared without drawing attention, Alfred began to assess the skills and abilities he had at his disposal.

[Skills:
Rush: Rank - Spirit Adept, Level - Initiate; Transform into an incorporeal shadow and travel up to 100 meters at high speeds.]

"Perfect, just what I need," the hidden youngster almost exclaimed in delight. With this skill, he could almost instantly teleport under the carriage. The night provided ample cover, especially in the proximity of the wall, shielding him from the moonlight.

Alfred decided to use Rush just as the guard entered his cabin to inspect the documentation. All the members of the caravan were lined up to the right, waiting for instructions. The youth swiftly moved under the carriage from a distance of 15 meters away, transforming into an incorporeal shadow, and instantly latched onto it.

His Cloak of Invisibility proved invaluable; he was virtually invisible in the dark of the night. However, there was still the danger of being discovered, as any direct light would render the cloak useless. Alfred took a moment to refresh his memory of its abilities:

[Equipment:
- Cloak of Invisibility: Grade - Spirit Novice; Reduces the wearer's presence during the day, providing complete invisibility in dark environments.]

The youngster patiently waited for the people to board and for the caravan to set off. He could hear the distant shouts growing closer and closer. The Shadowguard brought with them enough Orb light to illuminate the entire west Gate.

Hidden beneath the carriage, Alfred felt sweat forming on his forehead as the light and shouts drew nearer. However, he maintained his position and slowed his breath to conceal his presence. In the next instant, all the worry seemed to evaporate from the stowaway's face as the carriage began to move.

By the time Lord Umbra and his men arrived at the west gate, the caravan had already passed through and begun its journey to an unknown destination. Lord Umbra was the leader of the Shadow Guard and a trusted confidant of Declan Haco.

Dressed entirely in black with an indigo belt, the young man, his features sharp, approached the guards on duty at the gate.

"Stop! Identify yourself!" the guard shouted, alarmed by the approaching figures.

If Lord Umbra had removed his shroud, the guards would have likely trembled and pleaded for mercy. However, to them, a group of Shrouded individuals approached the gate with unclear motives. How could they not halt and inquire?

The sharp-eyed man didn't waste time with pleasantries and instead produced a glowing card bearing an emblem. "See this!" he demanded.

"The Haco family emblem!" The guards' attitudes shifted instantly as they recognized it. They immediately bowed and exclaimed in unison, "How may we be of service, sir!"

In Shadow Peak Territory, each family clan possessed a unique emblem, which they only revealed for the most critical tasks. The emblem symbolized the clan's honor, and regardless of the subsequent events, they had to take full responsibility.

"Have you spotted a young boy, around 8 to 10 years old, wearing a dark cloak, passing through here?" Lord Umbra inquired.

"No, sir! But I just allowed a large caravan to pass, and they mentioned they were headed to the Whispering Woods Clanlands," the braver of the guards reported.

Before their eyes, the figure they had been conversing with gradually turned transparent, like a mirage fading in the desert, until he vanished into thin air with a gust of wind. The guards' eyes widened in astonishment, and they stumbled back in surprise.

"Phew, that was a close call," one guard muttered to his companion, his voice trembling with disbelief.

"I can't stand these nobles parading around with their egos while we do all the hard work," the other replied, his eyes darting around nervously.

"Quiet! They could return at any moment," his companion admonished, his voice hushed, as they both scanned the area, still trying to make sense of the mysterious encounter.

Outside the city, a shadowy figure materialized suddenly in front of the caravan. Two imposing and burly guards, clad in sturdy leather armor and armed with gleaming swords, were leading the caravan. They came to an abrupt halt as they laid eyes on Lord Umbra.

"I'm looking for a small boy. I have reason to believe he's a stowaway in your caravan," the shrouded man spoke directly and to the point.

Both mercenaries, with muscles bulging beneath their armored attire and rugged faces marked by scars of battles long past, unsheathed their weapons with practiced ease. They were seasoned veterans who understood that such matters were best handled without involving their client, and they had received strict orders to that effect.

"Hold on."

To their surprise, the two burly men stopped in their tracks as they heard an effeminate youth's voice coming from behind them.

"Sir, I believe I recognize you. I can guarantee we don't have what you're looking for, as I supervised the loading of the cargo myself," the youth spoke eloquently while pulling out a similar insignia to Lord Umbra.

"Young Lord Lushan, I don't doubt your words, but I've tracked him thus far and am certain he is nearby," the cloaked man rebutted.

"I don't doubt your word for a moment," Lushan Vermillion replied, his voice dripping with eloquence. "I only implore you to expedite this matter as I find myself rather pressed for time."

Alfred, who had been keenly aware of their entire conversation, swiftly emerged from his hiding spot and poised himself to sprint. There was no longer any need for him to remain with the caravan.

Beyond the west gate of Shadow Peaks Territory, the once imposing walls yielded to a lush expanse of greenery. Vibrant trees and exotic flora thrived in this fertile land. A broad dirt road stretched out from the gate, winding its way through the serene landscape until it vanished into the depths of a dense forest.

Tall, ancient trees stood sentinel along the sides of the road, their branches outstretched like welcoming arms, forming a natural canopy overhead. Moonlight filtered through the leaves, painting whimsical patterns on the path below.

Alfred paused briefly to absorb the breathtaking scenery before dashing towards the welcoming embrace of the forest. Several of the Shadow Guards reacted swiftly, giving chase. However, before they could take their second step, Lord Umbra issued a stern command.

"Hold," ordered the cloaked man. He continued with an eerie confidence, his gaze fixed on the horizon, a sly grin curving his lips. "There's no need. He will be in our hands before the afternoon."

0