Chapter 23 – Unconventional
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trials had reached their climax as the last group of students stepped up to the podium. Among them, Dylan stood, his demeanor radiating determination while he contemplated his approach.

He faced an obstacle, unlike the other students, as he couldn't rely on any of his elemental spells. This presented a seemingly insurmountable challenge. The students around him chose their respective elements with confidence, their faces reflecting their chosen paths—fire, water, earth, and wind. Yet for Dylan, a different path lay ahead.

As the last few students made their choices, Dylan hesitated, unsure of his course of action. His mind raced, searching for a way to complete the trial. Suddenly, a realization struck him. Although he was reluctant to use elemental magic, he had another trick up his sleeve.

Dylan selected a target and advanced toward the podium, positioning himself in front of it. With a deep breath, he summoned his energy to generate the Mana Flow necessary for Accelerate and focused it on his legs. With renewed vigor, he took a step and activated the spell, and in an instant, his speed and strength increased dramatically.

With a swift and powerful kick, Dylan unleashed a mighty blow upon the target. His foot soared through the air, striking the designated point with a resounding impact, causing the onlookers to gasp in astonishment.

Senior Zhang watched in amazement, a puzzled expression on his face as he contemplated how he would grade this unorthodox attempt. Despite the potent attack, no Elemental spells were used. However, the student displayed an impeccable mastery of Mana Flow and precise timing.

Lianxia Tian's reaction was a mixture of astonishment and frustration as she watched intently. Her pride was wounded by Dylan's unorthodox approach. While most students couldn't fully grasp the significance of Dylan's achievement, she was well aware of it.

The Mana Flow required for Accelerate was available to everyone, but what Dylan had demonstrated was a level of mastery that exceeded all expectations.

Furthermore, the force that the young youth had displayed seemed to be inhuman. To exhibit such a level of force without sustaining injury appeared almost ridiculous. Even professional boxers had to wear protective gloves to shield their wrists and knuckles. There was a slight possibility that Dylan had some barrier spells at his disposal.

Only Arcane Adept mages could even begin to use Barrier Magic.

Dylan's unconventional method yielded impressive results—the target hit its mark with a resounding impact. The power displayed on the target indicated a pass, but the trial administrator was left confounded. How could he grade an ability that wasn't elemental? Did this youth possess knowledge of Barrier Magic?

The onlookers erupted in a chorus of shocked commentary:

"Did you see that? He just kicked the target!"

"That was like a cannonball! Who is this guy?"

"Unbelievable! I've never witnessed anything like it."

Amid the astonishment in the crowd, Lianxia Tian exchanged glances with her female friend, who was equally perplexed.

"Did you witness that, Jia?" Lianxia Tian whispered in disbelief. "He's not even employing an element!"

Jia Ming shook her head, her expression mirroring her friend's bewilderment. "It's truly astonishing, but the question remains: how can such an approach be fairly graded?"

Dylan, catching his breath, approached Senior Zhang with a confident smile. "I employed Accelerate, Senior. It may not be elemental, but I did hit the target."

Senior Zhang contemplated the situation for a moment before nodding. "Your determination and resourcefulness are evident, Dylan. However, this trial was designed for elemental control, and as such, your proficiency remains ungraded. It’s a pass but keep pushing your limits, and your path will reveal itself."

The audience remained in awe of Dylan's unconventional approach. While his proficiency went ungraded, it was evident that he possessed an unyielding spirit and the ability to think outside the box.

Dylan had demonstrated that the path to mastery was not confined to conventional means. With the senior's confirmation of his success in the trial, Dylan left the podium on his own. The other members of his group were still preparing to tackle their targets.

The young students stared at Dylan's back with disheveled expressions, wondering how they could follow his exceptional performance. Some of those without Elemental Spells attempted to mimic his approach, only to either injure themselves or produce feeble attacks.

At that moment, the remaining onlookers, who had initially seemed unimpressed by Dylan's display, began to appreciate his remarkable feat. Simultaneously, a single thought crossed their minds: "What a monster!"

Dylan stood alone as the sole member of his group to pass. The flickering lights on the surface of the podium marked the end of the trial. All those who failed were promptly teleported out, leaving only the successful students who were now ready for official enrollment.

“Congratulations, students. While I'm disappointed that the numbers have dwindled, there's no doubt that each of you belong here," Senior Zhang began his speech.

Originally, a couple of hundred students had come to try their luck at the Celestial Phoenix Institute. However, only a measly 32 students remained, and it wasn't surprising that most of them were from renowned family clans. The correlation between talent and a strong foundation was evident.

"Now, before we proceed any further, let me explain the rules of our esteemed institute," Senior Zhang announced. "Here at the Celestial Phoenix Institute, we hold discipline, diligence, and unity in high regard. We expect each student to dedicate themselves to their studies and training. Our institute is divided into three main divisions: the Spirit Novice Division, the Mystic Apprentice Division, and the Arcane Adept Division. You will commence your journey in the Spirit Novice Division."

The Senior glanced around, gauging the students' reactions, before continuing, “To advance to the next division, you will need to earn a certain number of credits. Credits can be obtained by passing exams or completing missions. However, even after amassing the required credits, you will face a final examination before you can officially progress. Keep in mind that failure in this exam will result in a deduction of credits.”

Murmurs rippled through the crowd as they learned about the challenging final exam.

He continued, "Our goal is not solely to enhance your elemental affinities but to guide you in discovering your paths within the world of cultivation. Success is not guaranteed, and not all of you will progress to the Mystic Apprentice Division. Remember, even those who don't advance further have already achieved a remarkable feat by reaching this stage."

Senior Zhang then addressed the topic that had been on everyone's minds—the dormitories and rewards.

"Following today, you will be assigned to the Spirit Novice Dormitories. Each dormitory is governed by its own set of regulations and curfews, which your dormitory head will explain to you in detail. It is essential that you adhere to these rules."

He paused, letting the information settle in, and then concluded with a touch of excitement, "Finally, for those who placed within the top ten during these trials, there is a special reward awaiting you—a private dormitory located atop the Mana Vein of this mountain, and the privilege to take the Mystic Apprentice Exams whenever you deem fit. This is an opportunity reserved for the most dedicated and skilled among you."

The crowd of students burst into a frenzy of reactions. Some gasped in amazement, their eyes gleaming with fiery determination. Others engaged in hushed conversations with their peers, fervently discussing their newfound aspirations. Within the assembly, a circle of friends huddled together, their gazes shimmering with newfound ambition.

"Did you catch that? A private dorm close to the Mana Vein!" one student whispered excitedly.

"Not for you! The Senior mentioned the top ten," another asserted, clenching his fists in disappointment.

Amidst the students' enthusiastic chatter, Lianxia Tian, who had previously demonstrated her water mastery, exchanged a meaningful glance with her friend, Jia, who had also secured a high score.

"It appears we've got some formidable competition now," Jia remarked, her tone tinged with anticipation.

Lianxia Tian nodded, her determination unwavering. "Indeed, this is just the start. Let's find out who emerges as the victor when all is said and done."

As the students grasped the importance of the reward, their resolve to excel grew stronger.

Within the students' spirited discussions regarding the rewards, Senior Zhang lifted his hand, ushering silence back into the courtyard. Stepping forward, he gestured to a new presence that had discreetly approached the platform. This individual was none other than Zafira Tareen, the Dormitory Head of the Spirit Novice Division.

"Allow me to introduce Dormitory Head Tareen," Senior Zhang announced. "She's responsible for the well-being of our Spirit Novice Division students. From this point onward, she will lead the remaining students to their shared lodgings."

Dormitory Head Tareen, a woman of stern but equitable demeanor, boasted striking emerald eyes and long, ebony hair. She addressed the students with no-nonsense authority. "Follow me," she instructed, her voice conveying her command. "We have distinct quarters for the Spirit Novice Division students. Your accommodations will be both comfortable and conducive to your studies."

With a nod to the students who were to be under her care, Dormitory Head Tareen led the majority of the students away, leaving only the top ten from the elemental proficiency trial behind. Among those remaining were He Qian, Rajan Das, Amani Mundo, Dylan Haco, Lianxia Tian, and her friend Jia Ming.

The other four students included Salim Khan, a brilliant earth element user; Hana Takahashi, a talented air element wielder; Sofia Rodriguez, a skilled fire element manipulator; and Elena Vasquez, a budding water element specialist.

Senior Zhang turned to the remaining students with a final word of encouragement. "Now, you, the top ten, have the unique privilege of residing in the private dormitory near the Mana Vein. However, the private dorms themselves are not equal. We will now commence a small tournament to determine who gets which Dorm."

The Senior's announcement was met with a mix of shock and excitement. The remaining ten students exchanged surprised glances, suddenly realizing that their journey at the Celestial Phoenix Institute was going to be more competitive than they had initially thought.

Dylan Haco, always up for a challenge, couldn't help but grin. "A tournament? I'm in."

He Qian, his fiery personality burning with enthusiasm, clenched his fists. "You bet I'm in. I'm not settling for anything less than the best dorm."

Rajan Das, the stoic earth element user, nodded in agreement. "I'm in as well. Let our skills decide."

Amani Mundo, her serene demeanor unshaken, spoke softly but confidently. "I've never backed down from a challenge."

Lianxia Tian, with her friend Jia by her side, leaned closer to the group. "We're in too, right, Jia?"

Jia Ming, a vibrant and expressive girl with an infectious smile, nodded enthusiastically. "Of course! I'm not missing out on this."

Salim Khan, Hana Takahashi, Sofia Rodriguez, and Elena Vasquez, the other students in the top ten, all expressed their readiness to compete. The group was determined, and their competitive spirits ignited as they looked ahead to the tournament that would determine their dormitory assignments.

0