Chapter 1: Before the unification
93 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dormant room, four soldiers take a small break. A man sits alone looking at his sword called Eclipse which gleamed back at him. His reflection shows his black hair and brown eyes. He wears a light blue shirt that adorns a hood and gray pants which are both cladded with plate armor. He has gauntlets and vambraces on, that gleam silver. He has a pauldron on his right shoulder and armor running down his arm to his vambrace. Some scratches are noticeable on the armor. A demon appears in front of the man and starts to speak.

?????: "Link, there's not much time left before you reach the throne room. I suggest you speak your mind to her before it's too late."

Link turns his head towards a light blue-hair girl with purple eyes wearing a purple skirt and shirt with a hood.

Link: "We're basically right next to, Janus, there's no point in saying it now. It could affect our moods and teamwork, Mokon."

He turns back to him.

Mokon: "It may not affect her, but it heavily affects you. What if you lose! What if we die! What if they DIE! Think or something!?

Link: "..." he looks down "It's better this way."

Mokon: "We may have broken your family's contract but that doesn't mean I'll let you do nothing to help yourself." he turns toward the sword "Say something, Luna, or at least do something."

The sword glows a light blue as a voice comes out.

Luna: "I have no say in this."

Mokon: "How can you expect your wielder to win against Janus in this condition?"

The sword doesn't speak. Perhaps she knows the demon is right and is too afraid to speak out. Or is there some other reason? Approaching footsteps can be heard.

Link: "Let's end this conservation for now. We can speak of it when we win."

Mokon disappears as a fist fighter walks toward Link dressed in plate armor and has a buzz cut with a headband on. The second is an archer or perhaps a hunter of some sort as she is dressed in dark blue clothes covered in chainmail and leather padded armor. The girl readjusts her short ponytail and digs into her pouch.

??????: "Break's over, Link. We're only a few rooms away from the throne room."

Link: "Alright then, Kaiden." he gets up "Let's get moving then guys."

Kaiden turns to the girl reloading.

Kaiden: "Hurry up, Hanna."

The girl nods as she refills her holders. As the door is about to open, Link briefly looks at Melia. The door opens as four dark knights and monsters charge our four heroes. Link covers Melia and Hanna as the shield while Kaiden rushes out to crush the enemies. Hanna shoots a bolt into the dark knights' knees to stop them from surrounding Kaiden. Melia finishes off the immobile knights with dark and light magic by either consuming or disintegrating them.

As the main threat is gone, Link goes off to finish off any of the smaller monsters. Hanna aims for vital points and launches knives at the enemy which Kaiden can use to cut and pierce the enemy. As the group of enemies is defeated the four check to see if they have wounds. No wounds are found, and so they continue. They open the next door to only find two dark knights standing guard.

Melia: "We're almost there. Those doors lead to the throne."

The two knights draw their swords. Both the knight and group charge each other. Link occupies one while Kaiden fights the other. Melia attempts to cast magic but one of the knights throws a spell toward Melia forcing her to stop casting and dodge. Hanna assists Link by shooting bolts but the knight kicks Link away and blocks it with a shield. Link coats his sword in magic to slash off his opponent's armor.

Link slashes at the knight to remove his armor. The armor slowly falls off, but the knight's stance barely changes. The knight throws his shield away at Melia and starts attacking Link. Melia blocks the shield with her staff and Link is barely able to keep up with the knight's speed. Hanna focuses on supporting Melia instead, as trying to hit the armorless knight may hit Link. Link blocks an attack to throw his sword down to cast dark magic onto the knight.

The knight cuts the magic, and it explodes. Link picks up his sword and dashes at the knight, but he blocks it. Large slamming can be heard. Both Link and the knight turn around to see Kaiden beating up the other knight with a pillar. They turn back to each other and keep fighting. They both trade multiple minor blows and block each other. The knight notices Melia casting magic again and throws a knife at her, but Link blocks it. 

Melia can cast it off and vines confine the knight to the ground. Link does the killing blow and slashes him across the chest. The chainmail scatters and so does blood onto Link. Link turns back to the group.

Link: "Thanks."

Melia: "No problem."

Link turns to the other knight.

Link: "Make sure he's dead, Kaiden."

Kaiden: "He should be dead due to blunt trauma."

Hanna: "I'll stab his heart to make sure."

She pulls out a knife and pierces it into his heart. 

Link: "Well, it's time to end this."

Melia: "Link, before we do that, we should heal you first at least."

Link looks at himself.

Link: "Oh, forgot I guess."

Melia sighs and approaches Link to cast a healing spell on his wounds. After she finishes, they push the door open. A man sits upon the throne. His chest and legs are covered in black armor plating. His orange eyes stare into Link.

Janus: "Finally, our centuries chosen one is here! Or what I believe was a century anyway. What took so long? I heard the slamming. Were those two too much for you?"

Link: "For a god who wants to destroy this world you're a lot less edgy than what I was expecting."

Janus: "That's coming from an edge lord himself, right?

Link sighs. Janus's eyes glow as he stares at Link.

Janus: "Oh my. Mr. hero didn't do what I was expecting. So much pride or is it fear?"

The others stare at Link.

Melia: "What does he mean, Link?"

Link: "After this battle, I'll explain."

Janus stands up.

Janus: "How about this Link. Let us duel one on one. It'll be fair and square. A high-risk high reward."

Link: "That sounds stupid. No."

Janus frowns.

Janus: "An expected answer. Coming from a man who can't beat himself."

Link feels cold. 

Link: "Shut up. Let's get this over with."

Kaiden: "Link, don't let him get into your head."

He knows. He's right wrong. Janus approaches them. He snaps his finger and skeletons, and zombies rise. Even some monsters appear from behind them. They're surrounded. Janus charges Link.

Janus: "Let's see how long you last."

Link is locked into combat with Janus while the others have to fend for themselves. Link can block most of Janus's attacks and can trade back at him. Link, knowing he won't have the stamina to keep up forever, uses magic to equip his armor. Link is covered in silver-coated plate armor.

Janus: "Isn't this fighting style boring? Do something."

Link doesn't answer. He just keeps focusing. Hanna and Kaiden are able to group up, but Melia is quickly surrounded.

Hanna: "We need to break through to Melia. At least they're avoiding Link."

Kaiden: "I know, but it's hard to. We need to slowly push toward her."

A sword pierces Melia. She blasts the skeleton. Link notices this. Hesitation. He lets his guard down as he tilts his head. Janus takes advantage of this, and forces Link up and kicks him towards the wall. Link is sent flying and loses grip on his sword and shield. He falls and his armor disappears from sustaining the kinetic force.

Link: "Shit..."

He pulls himself up and sees Janus approach Melia through the crowd. Link is being surrounded now. He puts his hand in the magic bag on his belt and pulls out an ice sword and fire sword. Though he does not prefer the style or is adept at it, he uses both swords to slash through the crowd but takes many slashes and minor stabs to reach Melia. His mana is low. His magic chainmail is failing. It won't sustain its shield much longer due to him colliding with the wall and absorbing his mana to protect him.

Link reaches Melia and blocks a sword swing from Janus. Kaiden and Hanna catch up with him but also suffered from attacks. Link is able to block attacks from Janus, but cracks can be heard. The elemental swords can go through Janus's armor, only barely. Link sees this as worth it as long as it will whittle him down or kill him. Melia casts small explosions to clear up mobs as Kaiden and Hanna cover for her.

Link keeps blocking and slashing but he's getting tired. Link starts to parry but this itself starts to hurt him, but he pushes through. Through the small parry windows, he slashes at his flesh and armor. If he can keep up, he will win. Link blocks one more attack, but the two blades shatter. Kaiden notices and dashes towards Eclipse and throws it at Link. But Janus's slash goes through Link, and he stabs him through the chest. The others call out to Link. Janus withdraws his blade from Link's body.

Link: Is this it? He was right. I knew the answer.

Luna: Link... I can still save you. It will require my life force though. Forcing me away for a long time an-

Link: No. I'm not letting you do that. I deserve this. Plus, you can still defeat him without me, right? Save Melia and them instead.

Mokon: Oh, shut the hell up. We know that's not what you want. Don't listen to him, Luna. We need him.

Luna: He is correct though. They can fill his place. Or I can.

Mokon: Man, what the hell are you even sayin- Wait what.

A white orb comes out of the sword and Luna appears. The girl has white hair on one side and black on the other. She wears a black dress that has white stars on it. Her eyes gleam orange. She picks up the sword and attacks Janus.

Janus: "Heh, to think even you would show up."

Link's eyes start to close. He won't last much longer if they don't escape.

????: "I can't bear to watch them die. Let's leave."

?????: "I understand, but don't you-"

????: "No, that's an order. I command you."

?????: "I... Very well then." 

It seems my time is up. It should have never ended this way.

?????: It seems we are at the beginning once again. Will you be able to save yourself this time? Please do, so you can save us. Remember, she believes in you just as I do.

Those were the last things Link heard before his friends called out to him. 

0