Chapter Eight. The Professor Expounds On Some History
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Catching Thurgod on the way to the entrance to the conference room, Jenna called out: "Wait, this blasting of the playground ..."

"We don't have time to talk." Thurgod replied, cutting her off. "We will discuss that later. I don't like it either. The Empire is showing it means business in a very public way. Too public"

"I know, but that's only part of it. When I said that there were important people on the playground that was only part of it. When I was preparing for the attack on the convoy at Locus Point, I heard a whisper that the Empire was planning an attack. A big one but no one knew where."

"I have heard the same, in greater detail" Thurgod spoke as they stopped in front of the entrance to the conference room. Without hesitation he activated the door latch and the door opened. "Let’s hear what our guest has to say," he laughed, “'if what he has to say does not please you, Jenna, you can kill him and we can leave in a hurry along with the rest." Jenna just grunted.

*********

What a disgusting room Jenna thought as she entered. Apart from a few chairs scattered against the gray walls, the only other item was a table on which sat a carrying case of some kind. There was the usual comm unit but Jenna noted with annoyance that there was no secure data receptacle to allow access to either the ships computers or the central computer. This was the side conference room. Why didn’t he get one of the classier rooms which are clean and I could call Master Moon on a secure line if necessary? Jenna groused to herself. Thurgod can be so cheap, she finished.

With Fastos there was one other person already in the room, a tall entity with a naturally commanding air. Jenna saw that the pair were already deep in conversation when she and Thurgod entered.

"... of your opinion of the circle, and it is patently clear that yours is the most logical and well argued," Fastos was speaking as the door opened.

"Most kind," came the reply, "and I am glad to see that you had landed on your feet. As with most of my colleges, I was concerned that your disappearance had been the result of a more drastic type."

Turning to see who had entered Fastos surprised Jenna with a smile and spoke, "Jenna! Thurgod! I am most honored to introduce a most distinguished colleague with whom I was pleased to make the acquaintance of in my previous position! This is..."

"Save it Fastos." Thurgod interrupted. He turned to Jenna, “Jenna, this is Professor Denner Venkriller of the Institute of Galactic History, under the Circle of Galactic studies. Listen carefully now as the Professor explains a little history."

Jenna stared at Thurgod. "The Empire is blasting anything that moves and you want me to listen to a history lesson?" Her voice rose as she continued. "We should be heading to safety right now."

"The ship will not be ready for at least one point five standard periods. We have that much time and if the Empire arrives before that, well, we had a good run. With the repairs that the ship needs, we can't leave any earlier and we couldn't go up against a light cruiser even if we were completely ready, let alone a battle star, so we might as well listen to the professor."

The pirate captain’s mood had shifted back to fatalism it seemed to Jenna, and as what he said made a weird sort of sense, she sat down speaking to Denner Venkriller as she sat: "Go ahead professor, let’s have it." Anyway, she thought, Thurgod's already said that I can kill him if I wish afterwards.

Moving to the head of the table, Denner Venkriller assumed command of the room with a natural flair complemented by his experience of dealing with large groups of people.

"I am aware that time is precious and I will be as concise as possible." The Professor spoke with a confident, measured tone of voice. "You are all aware of the Council which leads the empire and which is responsible for the management of the Legion. What you are most certainly not aware of is that this attack that you have experienced is the result of decisions made at the most senior level of the council.” After a dramatic pause he finished. “I am talking of The High Council of Fourteen and the First Councilor himself, Les Doman Resta of Tihab."

"How do you know this." breathed Fastos. "I mean, it is obvious that the Legion would not have carried out these attacks without consulting the Galactic Council at least, but the High Council, well, this is disastrous."

"Fastos is right, what is the source of your information." Jenna spoke with the apparent convection that the professor was mad.

"Fastos will recall that I was a member of the study group which was responsible for deciding which groups of galaxies were suitable for conquest." Fastos nodded his agreement and Venkriller continued "As part of my duties I sat in on several coordinating meetings with, amongst others, members of the Legion, Galactic Councilors, scientists and other specialists."

"Very interesting, but what does a projected invasion, which has been mooted for about a hundred years, have to do with us, a group of pirates." Jenna spoke with a twinge of unease, aware that Thurgod was sitting unusually quiet. This concerned the pilot more then what the professor had to say.

"As for the craft detailed to deal with the pirates, well, the details may impress even you Jenna." Venkriller selected a data cube and activated it by touch before placing it in a projector, moving it so that both Jenna and Thurgod could read the display. "You will see that there are four planetoid type vessels, of all types, along with ninety four of mostly heavy but also some light cruisers. The direct command of this force assigned to deal with the pirates is exercised by Fleet Admiral Vis Vistricer. He has the direct command of over one hundred craft in total just to attack the oxygen breathers. The invasion force itself is many times larger of course and is commanded by Grand Admiral, Mont Di Templer. He is the overall commander."

"All this just to destroy the pirates?" Thurgod finally spoke. This, Jenna saw, he had not heard before. "I find this difficult to believe. Di Templer is one of their most experienced commanders, and the deadly efficacy of Vis Vistricer is well known. Why would he be assigned to a minor operation of this kind?"

The professor spread his hands. “As to why Fleet Admiral Vis Vistricer was handed the job of eliminating you, I cannot say. I was more interested in the stories of the Ladies of the Circle, especially the three Ladies who seem to the Dark Lords closest confidants."

"Who may these be?" Thurgod as always was interested in the women. It was second only to his interest in fortunes, he was not so interested in the Dark Lord.

"And why do you refer to them as if they were still around." interjected Fastos.

“In due time, first there is the Dark Lord to deal with.” Venkriller paused. “As people who travel, you know of the planet, Ti Lepus, in the distant galaxy we call Markers Star?”

“Of course, the star blew up and destroyed the planet.” Thurgod responded.

The professor looked at Fastos. Fastos sighed.

“No Thurgod, it didn’t.” Fastos paused while Jenna and Thurgod turned and stared at him.

After a moment, he continued. “When I was a novice diplomat, I was told the story by a senior diplomat who got drunk at a conference.” He said with a sigh. “It was to stress to me to keep trying I guess.” He mused. “Anyway the people of Ti Lepus demanded to leave the Empire. They seemed to be extraordinary proud and unwilling to agree to any compromise. Negotiations apparently went on for a long time and finally the Dark Lord lost all patience. He, I don’t know how to describe this, but he threw the planet into its sun.” Fastos stopped.

“How ….?” Thurgod whispered. Jenna looked stunned.

“I don’t know. But that is not all. Afterwards it is said that he hunted down the survivors himself and killed everyone. Down to the last child.”

“Everyone?” Jenna had been sitting and listening only half interested but now spoke up in disbelief.

“Yes, everyone.”

There was silence for a fraction. Then the professor continued as Fastos had clearly finished. “Where the ladies come in, they had been to the planet, their visit recorded in Legion records. What the exact mission was or what they told the Dark Lord is unknown, only the bare facts of their trip was recorded. However there is evidence that they must have urged some restraint on him. The fact that negotiations seemed to have been carried on for a long time is evidence of that.

"So to answer you first, Captain Thurgod, the ladies are actually three groups of women who served the Dark Lord and would carry out such missions as he wished. The most numerous group I call the Associates and seems to vary in numbers from about twenty or so, up to about fifty.

"The next group, I refer to as the Outer Circle and it is this group that appears to been the most active on the behalf of the Dark Lord. The women in this group number twelve and the group appears to be quite stable in this makeup. But real power rests, or seems to rest with those who are his Confidants or the Inner Circle. I am not surprised that you had not heard of them, Captain Thurgod, I had not heard of them myself, at least in this organized manner, before I took up once again my study of the Dark Lord over twenty years ago. No doubt though, you will find that the names of those who make up the Triangle quite familiar. I refer to Lady Dana, Lady Luca and Lady Andrea."

At the mention of these names the three listeners all sat up straight. In particular, Jenna gave up her lounging, if that was possible in the uncomfortable chairs that made up the furniture in the conference room.

*********

Venkriller smiled at the reactions of the group. ‘I knew that these names would get their attention,’ he thought. "I see that I am not disappointed from your reactions. To continue, these Ladies roles appear to be quite specific and unchanging in any manner. As far as I can tell from the sources that I have followed, along with what I was told by many of my companions that I met at these meetings, for all history these three Ladies have been truly close to the Dark Lord. I have been able to trace all three back almost one million standard years."

"Impossible. You’re mad. That’s insane,” The interjections came from all three of his listeners. Their storm of protest continued for some time before the professor was able to speak again.

"There is other proof. Are you familiar with the legend of the planet Serpius IV?"

"Isn't that the planet which has the legend about a large and fabulous gem as the main part of a large treasure?" Spoke Thurgod with a frown. "If I remember correctly Serpius is in the Quillen sector, a bit far away as it is more than ten sectors, over half the galaxy away. One day …," he mused, running his hand over his jaw.

"You would be too late, Thurgod,” the professor replied, “as the treasure was discovered more than three months ago. The gem is now in the Great Museum at Serpius Five and I assure you, under heavy security." This last directed at Thurgod.

"I heard nothing! Who stole my treasure?" Thurgod' snapped. All treasures were his, at least in his mind.

"The treasure was discovered by a hunter who had spent more than thirty years looking for it. The reason you have not heard of the discovery was due to the contents of the structure which contained the treasure. These were so strange that all reports were squashed until they could be properly dealt with. Amongst the myriad artifacts found, were some that were of the most valuable historical kind. Some of these actually appear to be related to the Dark Lord and the Ladies. However, the important points are twofold. One is that the legend was proven to be a fact, and two, the artifacts involved showed the existence of the Dark Lord and the Ladies."

"This leads me to the next step; there is a rumored treasure, 'The Dark Lords Hoard', I assume that you have heard of it?"

"Who hasn't!" exclaimed Jenna. "I personally have counted at least 20 maps being offered to me for a very reasonable price and at least that many again who knew just were the riches were and just needed a little 'help' to get there. Most of them ending up breathing space. Not to forget that all these so-called treasures were spread across the galaxy and a dozen other galaxies besides. What you are saying is not news professor, and please do not tell us that you have a map to sell. No, not at all a new story." Thurgod held his silence. Fastos looked bemused but seemed to retain his faith in the Professor.

The professor replied with a smile, at the same time thinking, How foolish these pirates are, did they think that I would be unprepared? "Following the usual procedure in these matters, I was one of the group who were tasked by the Galactic Governor to check out the artifacts. One of the items was a map to the planet surface showing where the authors believed the trove was located. I now have that map in my possession.” On the worn table Venkriller placed a cube which came to life when he touched it. The glowing surface of a planet came to life above it. Symbols glowed indicating the entrance to a cave.

"And you expect us to believe this?" Jenna spoke incredulously, "This is not the best that I have heard, but it is close. And Trilla the demon planet, the one that kills everyone who tries to get through its tunnels! Do you think that we are mad?"

"Wait Jenna, there is more." When Thurgod interrupted, Jenna started in shock. Never to Jennas recollection, had Thurgod been so calm and sure of himself. Indeed, he seemed to be enjoying the meeting, even at a time when they should be half a million parsecs away.

"Indeed, Captain Thurgod as you say, there is more."  Venkriller turned to his luggage and withdrew another object from one of the cases. This object he placed on the table. The three others leaned forwarded to examine the item.

About thirty-seven centimeters long, with a carving of a woman wearing a gown and carrying an object of some kind on one side and some esoteric writing on the other, the object seemed quite unremarkable and clearly had been part of a larger object. None of the writing was intelligible to the viewers.

"Is this all," Jenna spoke first; "I hardly see what is so important about this artifact!"

"Touch the carving, Jenna." The professor replied.

Jenna reached forward and stroked her hand on the carving. As she did she noted the carvings apparent youth was deceptive, seeing that the edges of the carving were no longer quite distinct. Yet it was also apparent that handling had not worn the object. It could have been new or hundreds of thousands of years old, although that seemed to make no sense. It was difficult when touching it to gain a sense of what the material was, whether stone, or metal or some composite.

When her hand had touched the carving for a fraction it began to glow, but there was no sense of heat and a figure of a women appeared above the artifact. A soft sound, the words unintelligible, flowed in pleasing patterns through the room. Entranced, in spite of herself, Jenna wondered how this object worked and asked, "How does this operate and what is its power source, professor?"

 "I do not know, Jenna. All our readings show that this seems to be ordinary crust from some unknown planet. However the elemental makeup is not usual to this galaxy or, indeed, any galaxy known to the Empire. As well the language spoken is unknown. Also the effect only occurs when a female humanoid gets close to the carving. I have not been able to detect any power source of any kind. I have never heard of any item of this type before. Anywhere."

"Are there anymore?" Fastos spoke up. "I mean similar to this type of carving?"

"Not like this, but of other kinds many, many indeed, Fastos. But this was all I could take with me when I, well.... left." Turning to Jenna, "Are you satisfied now, that it is possible I may well have some information that you do not have? In any case do you have anything better to do? Consider also that the Legion is not going away and will not leave you alone."

The three Companions looked at each other and nodded slowly as Jenna backed slowly away as memories dawned, a strange look growing in her eyes and on her face.

"Then, may I suggest that we leave and, after we are under way, I will conclude with the last of the information. There is more about the artifact Jenna, for instance I have reason to believe that the figure is that of the Lady Dana.” Jenna looked sharply at the professor. ”I will tell you now that it is the same Lady Dana who did herself visit the First Councilor to urge the attack on the pirates. This in itself is unprecedented, as all the other visits recorded involved passing instructions or messages they received from the Dark Lord only. Never before, to my knowledge, has there been an occurrence of this kind, one self-initiated by the Ladies. If indeed that is what happened."

At this mention of Lady Dana’s action, the pirates looked at each other in horror as the reality of the information engulfed them. No, if true, the Legion was coming, the request of such a one would not be denied. It would be as if the Dark Lord himself had spoken. The Legion would stop only when every known pirate was dead or waiting to die.

"No...” breathed Jenna quietly. "Let’s get to the ship. If Quintas has done his part by now, then we should be underway within in less than one point five. Other repairs can wait." Fastos looked at her, his eyes narrowed. Jennas body language had changed since the carving had been introduced, and not for the better.

There was, for once, unanimous consent. Gathering Venkriller possessions together, the four left the shabby room. The room remained as though no one had ever been in there.

 

0