Part 3, The Legions Dance. Chapter Sixteen.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chaos had still reigned on Watchers Rock as Jenna of Christos coaxed the Master Moon into hyper space. Watching on a view screen Costos gave an evil smile. “So you thought to slip away did you,” he chuckled as he switched the screen off. “Well I had my own ears in the room, the treasure trove of our dead overlord eh. We will see, I swear it by the Dark Lords cloak!”

The tall well-built man beside him stirred uneasily. “Don’t let your dislike of Thurgod color your judgement, Costos. We still have to get out of here before the cursed legion arrives.”

“I haven’t forgotten Draucs.” The smile he affected never reached his eyes. This didn’t mislead the head of security for Black Sun, Costos ship, they had worked together for several years and knew each other well. Indeed Draucs was part of the crew before Costos had taken over as captain by killing the previous captain. He and Costos had worked together well although neither trusted the other completely however Draucs was content to be the security chief and the second in command to Costos.

“No, I haven’t forgotten.” Costos left the view screen. “Let’s get back to the Black Sun and see what that idiot crew of ours has done. Maybe we should kill them all and bring a new crew onboard!”  Costos gave as real a laugh as he could. His crew was actually efficient and capable. They had to be, anyone who became a pirate who was not at least competent was quickly captured, left the business or dead.

Arriving back at their ship, they saw that repairs similar to those of Master Moon were proceeding smoothly. “We should be ready in under half a period.” Draucs muttered. “I’ll see you on the bridge.”

Costos nodded. Then as he left, he turned around. “Keep an eye on the engine crew and the security detail as well. No passengers unless they have something exceptional to give. I want to leave as quickly as possible. Make sure that they know who is on the way.” Without waiting for an answer, he climbed aboard his ship.

The Black Sun was not a legion built craft but a galaxy class ship from the fifth cluster with a history was as murky as its owners. It had been sold off as surplus and somehow appeared in the seventh cluster. Somewhat smaller than the Master Moon, it had numerous differences important only to each crew.

Taking the captain’s chair, Costos began the process to bring the ship to life. Checking in with engineering he listened with satisfaction to the report that they were finishing essential repairs and confirmed that with testing, would be ready to leave in just under half a period. “Good, excellent work. We will be finished here by then.” Costos replied. “I don’t want to wait any longer then absolutely necessary. Bridge out.”

Turning to the pilot he said. “Pick a star, an isolated one with nothing in it that interests anyone but will require the least amount of travel from here to hyper threshold.”

“OK boss,” the pilot replied. “I’ve got one.” He pointed to a star circled on the holographic display.

“Okay, what about hyper threshold?” Costos inquired. “We have to go a bit high, don’t we?”

 “Yes but, If the legion arrives, we won’t be too close to them and we will have an advantage there.” Arron, the pilot sounded confident. “Anyway they will have to sort things out first.”

Costos nodded, lips pursed in a habitable gesture. “Good, lock it in.” His comm pinged and at a glance saw that it was Draucs. “Yes?”

“All finished outside. Everyone on board. Engine room says final check in progress. Hatch locked down.”

“Good, get up here.”

“Draucs, out.” A fraction later he was at the weapons station and “Weapons station on line. All missiles and beam on standby.”

Arron turned around. “Engine room reports ready boss.”

“Let’s go.” Costos ordered and the same dance that Jenna and the Master Moon had done now took place.

A fraction later they were approaching the hyper threshold at full thrusters and ready to engage main engines for the jump to hyper space.

“Ready to jump, WHAT THE …” Arron lost his calm when a huge black object flashed by, just missing them.

“Legion heavy cruisers.” Costos and Draucs yelled together.

“Go, Go!” Costos yelled.

Black Sun jumped to hyper space.

*********

On board the Cedar, the pilot let out the breath he was holding. “That was too close,” he muttered. “Get a good track on that Ship?” He asked scanning.

“Yes sir.” He gave the coordinates. “It’s an empty system sir. They will be gone before we can turn around.”

“That’s up to Captain Traska.” Captain Rosslyn of the Cedar interrupted. “Send all the information to the Aspen and let him take care of it.” Captain Rosslyn sat back in her chair and engaged her comm. The escape of a pirate or two had been anticipated and was secondary to their current mission. “Major Cabot, we will very soon be at Watchers Rock. Combat imminent.”

“Confirmed, we are ready in the shuttles.” Captain, temporary major, Cabot replied then addressed his company. “Heads up troopers, we’re going in, weapons ready, half on stun. We want prisoners who can tell us where to find the remainder of the pirates don’t forget.”

“Yes sir.” Filtered back in numerous accents. Cabot was barely forty, young in an empire in which people could live for several centuries, however he was well trained and had been in combat before so the men and women warriors trusted that he knew what he was doing.  One muttered, “As the Dark Lord wishes,” bringing a series of chuckles from her comrades all who had various views on their missing overlords’ absence.

There was a period of nerve racking waiting, then “Shuttles go!”

*********

Twelve heavy cruisers, each holding a full company of legion troopers under the overall command of a brigadier on board the Kauri surrounded Watchers Rock and moved to the entry point that was the target of each cruiser. Other cruisers and planetoids surrounded the pirate base and prepared to provide support. Three craft who had tried to escape past the legions heavy cruisers had been destroyed. No more tried and the pirates gathered in several groups in a desperate attempt to fight their way out.

The first shuttle to gain entry was from the Teak who found the outer doors to the landing pod standing open. Quickly the first platoon secured the access hatch and the rest of the ninth company swiftly followed. Facing resistance from pirates who, although surprised knew their fate if captured, the ninth company found themselves in a spirited fire fight.

Most of the pirates had fortified themselves in two of the five main taverns but the ninth company kept them under suppressive fire, as they operated the entrance to the next landing pod. The troopers who entered there gave assistance to the ninth company and the two companies began a methodical advance on the two strong points, killing where necessary but taking prisoners wherever possible. Moving forward, squad by squad, one giving covering fire as the other moved, the well trained troopers advanced driving the desperate pirates into the office complex.

Other companies had also entered the station against minimal or serious resistance as the case may be. The most important of these was that of the twenty fifth and seventeenth companies who were tasked with the critical job of securing the fusion reactor powering the asteroids systems before it could be compromised. This was done and the reactor put in the hands of experts who made sure that it was isolated from any attempt to interfere with it. The seventeenth also captured the parts department and moved into the rear of the office complex, cutting off surviving pirates who were retreating this way. Desperate, the few remaining pirates fortified themselves in several offices along with the stations owners who knew that they faced the same fate as their customers.

Fearsome in their powered armor, the legion troopers prepared for their final thrust.

*********

On board Aspen, Captain Traska followed developments with satisfaction even though he did not have direct command over the troopers. This was in the hands of the brigadier who had been given that command.

“Is my shuttle ready?” He asked his second in command.

“Yes sir, but the fight is still going on.” Commander Trist allowed his surprise to show.

“Not a problem where I’m going.” Traska smiled at the confusion showing on several faces. He was the commander of Task Force Detachment T, therefore he wasn’t supposed to go into any active combat situations.

“At least get a squad from Major Amrk for security sir.” Jal Don Trist insisted. “He has one ready for you.”

Captain Traska gave his second in command a straight look. The Commander was not in the least intimidated and returned the look.

With a grunt Captain Traska stepped out of the command chair and with a nod handed over command to Trist.

“Acknowledged sir.” Came with a punctilious salute, promptly returned. “The AI tech you wanted is in the shuttle already sir.”

“Thanks commander.” Traska left.

The Aspen, being a heavy cruiser was too large to dock at any of the hideouts pads or piers, thus the need for the shuttles and Captain Traska and Petty Officer Wilmont, the AI, were soon stepping into the lower landing area. Major Amrk met them.

“The area is not secure sir, while the majority of the pirates have been subdued and we have prisoners, there is a core group who have barricaded themselves in an office area.” The major looked happy at being in combat, a change from his usual dour demeanor.

“The Brigadier is no doubt proceeding with caution?”

“Yes, and aggression where possible.” A slight smile flited across the stocky officer’s face.

“And any possibility of breaking through the floor or ceiling is blocked?”

“Indeed sir.”

“Then I am on my way!”

Realizing that he had lost the argument, Major Amrk, waved to the sergeant standing nearby with a squad of seasoned troopers, all in powered armor. They stepped forward.

“Sergeant Kondas and her squad will be your protection detail, sir.”

With a thank you to the major and a nod to the sergeant, Captain Traska set off. A brief word to Sergeant Kondas elicited the information that the main computer had been secured but it was on the far side of Watchers Rock.

“The Forty Fourth is holding that side and two platoons of the Twelfth have the sub floor, which I am told is both dark and open.” Her smile was cold, “Gives our enhanced vision all the edge we need.”

*********

Moving through what appeared to be chaos but what was actually well organized movement of the soldiers Captain Traska observed the troopers with interest. Each company had its support and reserve platoons in holding areas with commanding officers and communications nearby. He also saw where prisoners were being held, most unconscious from stun beams.

  As he walked by the prisoners, Traska frowned and pulled out his comm. With a few taps, he placed a call to Brigadier Dequese.

“Yes Captain Traska?” Although the brief response was less than cordial, Traska kept his face blank. He didn’t know the legion officer and had never met him in person.

“I am on my way to examine the computer area and noted several prisoners. I request that the ships captains or owners along with any surviving owners of the hideout be separated as I will need to speak to them first.”

“I will issue the appropriate orders but why do you need to speak to them? This is rather unusual.” Brigadier Dequese sounded uncertain. Captain Traska did not know that the Commanding General, General Losk, had given specific instructions to Brigadier Dequese about giving all cooperation to Traska.

“I understand sir, but I am under serious time pressure here and will need to reload the normal compliment and wish to leave as soon as possible after your men have finished their work.”

“Are you asking me to move faster Captain?” The legion officer didn’t like being in the dark regarding orders given to Captain Traska.

“Not at all sir.” A burst of noise had the small group tense as they approached the corridor leading to the computer center. “I am certain that you will be finished before I am here.”

“Very good then.” The mollified officer replied. “If you have nothing else Captain?”

“No sir, signing off.” Traska put his comm away.

At the entrance to the corridor, the small group was stopped by the commanding officer of the twelfth company.

“It’s a potentially active area sir.” The captain explained. “Some pirates have fortified themselves in a room the other side of that wall.” He pointed halfway down the corridor where troopers were standing. “That’s why I have a squad there and the rest of the platoon standing ready.”

“I need to get to the computer hub as soon as possible.” Traska explained calmly.

The captain thought quickly. He had recognized the commanding officer of Detachment T. “The ninth have a squad there sir. Maybe they know another way in.” The captain commed his opposite number in the ninth and spoke rapidly. There was silence for a fraction and he spoke again, then switched to another channel. An older Colour Sergeant appeared.

“There’s a back door to the computer room down there, close to the landing bay. Get a squad and take Captain Traska there and open it.” The Colour nodded at the rapid fire instructions and waved to Captain Traska. “This way sir.” He started off, gathering troopers as he went.

*********

Hearing a commotion behind them as the approached the holding pad on which crouched a forlorn starship, Traska glanced back. Seeing nothing to disturb him, just a couple of ragged looking pirates were being manhandled to the prisoner’s area. Satisfied, he looked the pirate ship over. A feeling of being watched came over him.

“Colour,” Traska spoke sharply, “is that ship secure?”

“I couldn’t say sir.” The veteran replied promptly.

“Sergeant Kondas, secure the bridge and engine room, now.” Traska turned to the colour sergeant. “Colour, get a platoon here, now.”

“Sir.” While surprised by the captain’s demeanor, the veteran trooper knew better than to argue. A fraction later, led by a junior office a platoon arrived on the trot. Seeing Captain Traska, the officer, a Lieutenant Granner saluted and said, “Orders sir?”

Traska pointed, “That ship, secure it and search it, I am certain that someone is onboard.” The officer nodded and turned to deploy his platoon. “I have a squad on board, be careful!”

“Yes sir!” Lieutenant Granner passed the warning on as she sent her platoon onboard.

 As this happened, Traska pulled out his comm. “Sergeant Kondas?”

“Sir?”

A quick briefing was given finishing with, “When you are relived, report back to me with your squad.”

“On my way sir.”

“Colour Sergeant?”

The veteran trooper gave a prompt ‘sir’ and saluted.

“Hold the salutes, colour,” Traska replied with a smile. “My arm is getting tired.” The non-coms impassive face gave no hint of what he thought of this. “When Sergeant Kondas and her squad join us we will continue our quest.” Traska finished.

Soon the protection squad were all present and they prepared for the final part. The correct door was located and forced open. Two troopers entered first, and quickly reported that the room was clear.

Traska smiled and turned to the colour sergeant. Before he could speak, the colour spoke first. “Seems that you were right sir, two people found.” Something in the way the non-com spoke worried Captain Traska.

“What did they find?” The quiet question came.

“Two kids’ sir, girls. One about nine or ten, the other older.”

 Damn, Traska grimaced, then squared his shoulders. “Tell the lieutenant to be gentle with them. One of the planetoids should have the proper facilities for dealing with children,” He ordered, “there is established procedure for this.”

The colour nodded than passed the order on. Satisfied that he had done all he could here, Traska dismissed the Colour Sergeant, “Thank you colour, we can take it from here. I am sure that your captain is missing you.” With final salutes they parted, the Colour Sergeant mused about the officer that he had just left.

So that’s the detachment commander, impressive, cool under fire. Decisive as well and smart. He’ll go far. Didn’t like that thing with the kids, but none of us did!

*********

Unaware of the recent departed non-coms thoughts, which he wouldn’t care about anyway, Captain Traska threaded his way past banks of computer equipment to the core. He wasn’t really surprised by what he found although the troopers with him were.

Sitting, almost lounging in a comfortable chair was a hominid entity unlike any that the troopers had ever seen before. The man, it was obviously male who, from the pallor of his skin, had not seen the outside of this room for many, many days. A light helmet which had a lead from it to a console attached to the chair, covered his head except for the face.

It was equally clear that the man rarely if ever left the chair to exercise and was badly in need of attention of a personal nature. Traska moved around so that the man could see him. “What is your name?” He asked, thinking that a simple direct question would be best to start with.

A ping sounded. “Condor.” Appeared on a holographic screen.

“Condor, will you talk with us?” There was an edgy silence, then...

“I will.”

At that, Traska smiled and turned to Sergeant Kondas, giving her orders. “Find Condors attendants and get them here.” Next he told Petty Officer Wilmont to start working with Condor to get the information he had requested.

 

0