Chapter Twenty Nine. The Pirates Debate Then Land. The Legion Takes Its Own Steps.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With exquisite skill, Jenna brought the space craft to a gentle landing on the planet’s surface. The trip in had been uneventful, but with its moments of tension. Right up to the time Costos had shown up. Selecting a landing point after hadn’t helped.

*********

At first there was confusion and Tyrone powered up weapons and targeted the unknown craft with a hyper missile until Lista and Fastos cried out stop together.

“It’s the Black Sun.” Lista called.

“And Costos is asking us not to shoot at him!” Fastos put in.

“Hold the missiles Tyrone.” Thurgod ordered, “Fastos, ask Costos what he wants. Lista scan for weapons.”

“Arriving in orbit now.” Jenna announced, “Thurgod, what do we do?”

“Keep us over the seas and close to the cave entrance.” Thurgod replied. “Lista, report.”

“Weapons were up but they are now on standby. He is approaching slowly, half speed.” Lista spoke quietly, almost subdued. Everyone looked at Thurgod except for the still angry Amard.

“So, does Costos still want to talk?”

“I think so.” Fastos replied.

“Put him on.” Thurgod shrugged as he sat back in his chair.

An image appeared in Thurgod’s holo projector. “Well fancy meeting you here.” Costos said with an obviously false smile.

“No doubt,” grunted Thurgod. “So you figured out where we were going and took the long way here.”

“Of course I did, it wasn’t difficult.”

“So, you are here,” Thurgod said after a pause, “what are you going to do now?”

“Pirate the treasure, of course. That is if you haven’t already?”

“Ha!” Thurgod laughed. “You know that we just went into orbit.”

Costos laughed in return. “So, what do you want to do? If you fire on us, the empire will be alerted and they will be here in a few periods. So how long do you want to hang around here?”

“Not a problem, go right ahead and land, we will follow.” Thurgod spread his hands magnanimously.

Costos shook his head at that sally. “I don’t think so. You and your professor have figured a way through the tunnels where no one has before, I’m not going to take that chance.”

“Then what, you think that you are just going to hang around and watch?” Thurgod shook his head, “Not likely.”

With a laugh, Costos dismissed the not-to-subtle threat. “I suggest an arrangement, we go in together. You land first and I’ll follow.”

Thurgod clearly didn’t like that idea. “So you can cripple us after we land. I don’t think so.”  After a fraction, he continued. “Why don’t you land first then we will land.”

“So you can destroy the Black Sun? Why should I trust you?” One could almost smell the suspicion.

“Do you have a choice?” Thurgod inquired. “Or have any other suggestions?” There was silence for a fraction while Thurgod, uncharacteristically waited patiently.

“I could shot at the moon or the imperial satellite and leave, now that will bring the legion down on you in a day or two.”

“And we will just leave and come back another day. In the interim, I am sure that the wreckage of your ship will keep them happy.” At Costos glare, Thurgod continued. “Come now, as soon as you light up your weapons, well we can’t take a chance now can we?”

“Very well, we will land and wait for you on the planet’s surface.” Costos surrendered. “By the Dark Lords name, don’t keep us waiting.” The holograph disappeared with the same false smile that had been evident at the first appearance.

In the silence that followed the end of the conversation, Jenna eyed Thurgod. “Do you think that’s a good idea?”

“You would rather have them free above us in space?” Thurgod countered. Slow nods from all the bridge crew showed understanding. “Keep an eye on the Black Sun, Tyrone. If you get weapons emissions, blast the ship and we will leave.” He turned to his pilot. “As soon as they land, we will follow.”

“Amard, take over.”

“I have it.” Amard grunted, giving Jenna a poisonous glare as he did so.

Thurgod ignored the byplay and studied the holo. He was joined by Jenna who had given Amard an equally hard look then stood and walked the couple of steps to the holo projector, “Lista,” Jenna said, “scan the area around the tunnel entrance, I want to find a suitable landing spot.”

“Scanning, I will put it up on the main holo screen.” Lista was becoming professional.

“Let’s take a closer look.” Jenna said.

“I want to be as close as possible. If the reports I have read are correct. A couple of police cruisers landed in this general area.” Thurgod said pointing.

“Landing a police cruiser is one thing. Putting down a ten thousand ton star ship is another.” Was Jenna’s reply as she studied the possible site.

She carefully looked the site over and others as well, moving the focus in and out and rotating it through several different axis. She even examined the substrata of the ground. This taxed Thurgod’s level of patience to the limit, especially as Costos was now landing beside the tunnel entrance.

“I will send you to the red fire if you don’t make a decision soon.” Came after Jenna’s rejection of a third area.

Jenna matched him glare for glare. With studied patience she replied. “The ground for the spot closest to the entrance was too weak and sloped. If the landing gear had not collapsed on touchdown because it was unbalanced, it would have by the time we returned. The second site was even worse while the third had ground water just below the surface. The gear would have sunk into the ground and we would have had damaging steam explosions. Look I want to get down there but I want to be able to leave as well.” With another glare she returned to the holo.

“Costos landed there!” Thurgod indicated an area.

“His ship is half the size of ours and he can use it as a cabin when he gets back and finds it collapsed!”

A further study brought another area to the fore. “Let’s look here.” Jenna highlighted it.

“I don’t like it. The tunnel cannot be seen directly from the ship.” Thurgod objected.

“Unless we land right at the tunnel we won’t anyway. And we can’t land there because of the ground slope.” Jenna replied. “This area is suitable, the land is flat and solid, bushes only, no trees, no ground water to be concerned about.” She stepped back. “This is where I think we should land.” Looking at Thurgod, “Objections?”

“I don’t like it that the group at the ship and the tunnel guard are out of sight of each other. They need to be able to support each other if necessary.” Even as he said it, Thurgod knew how weak it sounded.

Jenna knew it as well, but realised how unwise it would be to make open fun of Thurgod. “I understand what you mean, but this is the closest we can get anyway. No other area suitable is closer.” She studied the holo while the others watched. “I am open to suggestions.”

All the rest of the bridge staff, except Amard who was still in a pique, looked at each other. Being reasonably astute and not wanting to get between the two heavyweights, they kept their silence. Even Lista who normally could be counted on to stir things up with Jenna.

“Very well, if that is what you want, let’s get going. Take us in.”

“Amard, you know where we are going to land?” Jenna asked.

“Yes.” Came the terse reply.

“Then let’s get moving.”

*********

On the legions ships, the time had been just as nerve wracking. Tension mounted every time the scanners went active on the pirate ship. At the arrival of Black Sun, the tension became almost unbearable. All the captains on the legions ships had to exercise their utmost control over themselves and their crew. Almost every weapons officer wanted to bring their weapons online or make other moves that came to mind. All had to be rejected. The only light relief, if it could be called that, was listening to the pirates open conversation. Major Amrk was updated and swiftly revised his plans.

“Enough, I do not want to hear any more.” Captain Quill responded to yet another call for movement forward. “We wait for the signal from Captain Traska and the Aspen.”

On the Aspen, they had the advantage of now being busy. They could tell from the scanning being done by the pirates that landing spots were being selected.

 As the pirate ship started its descent to the surface, the tension started to ebb and was replaced by excitement due to the prospect of action.

Master Moon is following the Black Sun to the surface, sir. Probable landing time point two five.”

“Good, Commander tell the Major that it will definitely be a ground assault on both ships and to get his troops ready. Remind him that we are still in stealth mode. We will begin to move as soon as they are in the atmosphere.”

Acknowledging the order, Commander Trist left the bridge, heading for the shuttle bay. There Major Amrk took the information, including the reminder of stealth mode, in good part. That action was imminent was all the distraction he needed.

“Is Captain Traska still coming with us sir?” He asked.

“I have not been told anything different.” Commander Trist replied. “So the answer would be yes.”

“I would like the captain to be here before we begin the assault. He will need to be suited for safety and aboard his shuttle before we evacuate the shuttle bay. We don’t want to do that twice.”

Commander Trist nodded. “That is a good point, I will speak to the Captain.” He said as he left.

On his return, Trist relayed Major Amrks query to Captain Traska who stood. “Yes, I had not fully considered his needs.” Captain Traska stood. “Status of pirate ship?”

“Entering atmosphere sir.”

“Very well, start us moving to the planet.” Came the order that everyone was waiting for. “I want us to come up to the planet away from the tunnels and below their horizon. Maintain stealth mode until the assault go’s in. After that it will not matter.”

“If the pirate ship leaves the surface sir?”

“Disable it, do not destroy it whatever you do.”

“Yes sir.’

“Commander Trist, you have the bridge.”

Commander Trist came to attention and saluted. “Sir!” Captain Traska returned the salute and walked steadily of his bridge, heading to the shuttle bay while Commander Trist took the captain’s chair.

“Steady now, status of pirate ship?”

Black Sun landed, Master Moon is into the atmosphere now sir, the friction is throwing up a lot of interference for them now. We are pretty safe from active scans.”

“Never the less, we will stay in stealth mode, Lieutenant.” He indicated a staff officer to come to his side. Then to navigation, “Time until we are below the horizon of the pirate ship?”

“At this speed, point oh four sir.”

“Thank you, now Lieutenant, go inform the Captain and the Major that, on their call, we will be evacuating the shuttle bay. Give them the time to horizon cut-out. Wait!” He turned to navigation, “Update cut-off allowing for the time to get to the shuttle bay.”

“Point oh three five sir.”

To the Lieutenant, “Go.”

As the young officer left, Commander Trist surveyed the bridge crew. They had the grace to not meet his eye. “Well,” he said having noted the speed with which the answer had come. “Who won the pool?”

The Kauri and the rest of the detachment knew exactly where to look so the motion of the Aspen was clear to them. On board all the ships various cries of “Go get them” were heard and requests for similar action denied.

*********

The pirates were all feeling a little naked due to the glowing plasma field generated by the friction as the ship plowed through the atmosphere. Amard was driving Master Moon hard as a result of his anger.

Lista Thursta was monitoring her readouts rather anxiously. The readings were not reassuring but within limits of safety, she was more concerned about scanner readings.

“Scanners off line, no scanning possible.”

Fastos was equally concerned. “Communications also down due to plasma effect on our shields. No communications possible.”

“Ship slowing, we will be out of blackout shortly.” Jenna spoke, “Slowing to maneuvering speed, I have the ship.”

“Pilot has the ship.” Was the grudging response.

The plasma envelope which had surrounded the ship, flickered away and vanished.

“Raising blast shields.” The windows to the outside were now open to the view. There were fleecy, woolly clouds, floating over a blue green rolling sea. They were coming up to the continent that held the tunnels and had wonderful views of the birds dropping and flittering, swooping down and flapping upwards hunting the large insects which were their prey. To all this beauty however, they were blind.

“Communications back.” Was followed by “Scanners back up.”

 “Anything on either?”

Separate versions of no and nothing came from Lista and Fastos.

Tyrone turned to Thurgod. “The weapons and shields are on standby. We should shut them down.”

Anything to do with his personal safety was a point of concern for Thurgod so he sat back and considered. “Why can’t we leave them on standby?”

Both Jenna and Tyrone gave scarcely audible groans. “Thurgod, do we want a missile going off in the racks when we land? It will not help us much if we are just a smoking crater in the ground.” Jenna responded.

Grudgingly as always Thurgod agreed, and the weapons were made safe. The pirates flew on in silence.

“Tunnel entrance coming up.” Amard Petter was still angry at his possible exclusion from the tunnel party.

“I see it.” Jenna acknowledged.

Looking over the site, she could see Costos standing outside as they maneuvered. Turning to their selected landing area, she saw that it suited them well. “All hands, stand by for landing maneuvers.” She announced. “Main engine ready for shutdown.”

“Standing by for thrusters.” Amard was acting professionally even upset as he was.

“Engine shutdown, thrusters online.”

“Acknowledged.” From Amard was followed by the announcement. “Planet landing procedures now.” By this time, everyone was strapped into their seats. This was not like going into a docking bay.

“Orienting for landing, ground thrusters, engaged.” The ship was shuddering and rocking as the imperfectly level ground randomly deflected back the blast wave from the thrusters.

“Landing legs down now.” From Jenna. Five sturdy legs appeared down each side.

“Landing legs engaged, down and locked.” Amard acknowledged a fraction later.

“Stand by, this could get interesting, landing now.” Jenna announced.

The ship rocked and the deflected blast thundered against the underside of the craft, now out of its natural habitat. Reluctantly it seemed, the craft came down and its massive legs touched the ground. Slowly they settled, crushing the foliage, rocks and any living thing unlucky enough to be underneath them.

With a deep breath, Jenna announced, “We are down!”

“Well done, Jenna.” came a rare word of approval from Thurgod. “Lista, test the outside for dangerous fumes and anything else.”

“Testing, fumes are clearing away. No sign of any significant wildlife. Air is good, suitable for breathing.”

“Engines are shut down, Quintas, all in order from your end?” Thurgod asked.

“We are all secure here, just waiting for an explanation of why we are here.”

Thurgod rolled his eyes and saw that all the rest were giving him sideways looks of amusement. “On my way down Quintas.” He knew that the rest of the crew were all aware of his long involvement with Quintas and that he was the best able to deal with the engineers quirks.

“Thrusters all shut down. Pilot’s station secure. The ship is secure.” Jenna announced.

“Outside is all clear. Tyrone, it is in order to open outside doors at security discretion.” Lista was behaving with unwonted professionalism.

“I hear you Lista.” Turning to his communicator, Tyrone engaged it and called up Devano and Extsu. “Exterior ready for security party, check outside lock port side, open, set up security perimeter and report.”

“Acknowledged.” Came from Extsu. “Moving to port door and will report once we are set up and see if we are being greeted.”

“I will check on our guests.” Fastos left, followed by Tyrone going to the security detail.

Jenna turned from her station and looked at Amard, who was looking right back at her was a smoldering gaze that held nothing of appreciation in it. “Would you like to explain?” Came in something of a snarl.

With a sign, Jenna nodded. “You deserve one.” Looking at Lista Thursta, she suggested that Lista get ready to join the party.

“Oh, I think that this will be much more interesting!” Lista replied with a conscious wiggle.

“Lista go!” Amard was obviously angry. “This is between us.”

Faced with two angry people, Lista slowly rose from her chair and left.

“Now?” Amard was biting his words of.

With another sigh, Jenna rose and paced the bridge. She turned and faced her co-pilot.

“I don’t know if you think you know why I suggested that you stay behind but there are two main ones. The first is obvious.” She paused and Amard interrupted.

“You don’t trust me!”

“Trust doesn’t come into it. Do I think that you are young, reckless sometimes and sometimes careless as well? Yes I do, but that isn’t it.” She leaned forward, “This is deeply dangerous shit, Amard!”

“So!” Came the almost expected snarling response.

“SO!” Snarled Jenna right back. “Do you understand that none of us who will go into that tunnel are likely to come back alive? Do you understand that I am absolutely terrified of going into that tunnel? Do you understand that no one, no one who has gone into that tunnel has come out alive except for one guy who will never talk a word of sense again for the rest of his short life?” She turned and resumed her agitated pacing up and down the bridge again, taking short sharp breaths as she did so, unaware that she was echoing Devano.

Surprised by Jenna’s vehemence and somewhat mollified, Amard asked what seemed to him to be the obvious question. “Why don’t you stay then and let me go?”

“I can’t, I have to go, I have no choice.”

“Why?” Spreading his hands wide.

“Because I am from Christo’s. It is written. Ask me no more.”

There was a pause, while this was digested.

Amard opened his mouth but before he could speak, Jenna lifted her hand, “I said that there were two reasons. The second is equally obvious and actually,” Jenna gave a smile, “you should have anticipated it.”

His eyes opened wide along with his mouth, Amard stuttered, “I should have?”

“Indeed, it is standing policy that in circumstances like this at least one of a ships bridge officers must stay with the ship at all times. This you know, I have drummed it into you many times.”

Amard made a face. Again he started to speak, again Jenna interrupted him. “You are not only the obvious choice, you are the only choice. Thurgod will come, no stopping him. Same with Tyrone and Fastos. Would you leave the ship in the hands of Lista? I have to go so that leaves you.” At this, comprehension dawned on Amards still youthful face.

Again she smiled. “Anyway, it is all up to Thurgod. Let’s go and see what mess everyone has made of things.” Turning she left the bridge.

On her way to the airlock where everyone else had gathered, Jenna stopped at her cabin to pick up personal items she needed. A side arm to complement her sword, a jacket, in case it was cool in the tunnel and a survival pack. Returning to the now vacant bridge after locking her cabin, Jenna secured the bridge after rerouting scanner and life support to a secondary station.  Locking the bridge access door, she then joined the rest at the airlock.

*********

“Approaching launch coordinates as specified by Captain Traska. Sir.”

“Excellent.” Commander Trist turned to the same Lieutenant, who had just arrived back on the bridge. “They are ready?”

“Yes sir, the shuttle bay is locked and sealed. All assault crews are on board and the captain and the major are awaiting your order.”

“Navigation?”

“One moment sir, all hold, we are now in geostationary orbit sir, they can’t see us.”

“Evacuate the shuttle bay. Then open shuttle bay door.”

“Sir.” A fraction passed, “Doors are open sir.” The ship remained silent. “Assault shuttles launched sir”

“Secure shuttle bay door.”

“Door secured sir.”

“Time to reach target?”

“In stealth mode, point eight sir.”

“Now we wait again.” Commander Trist settled back.

The two stealth shuttles spiraled down in the daylight sky on the far side of the planet from the pirate ship. The pirates had landed at the site of the tunnels near dusk, so it would be a night assault for the elite troopers. Once through the atmosphere, they turned and headed towards their objective.

 

0