Chapter Thirty Seven. Meetings and a Promotion.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The appearance at noon of firstly the Dark Lord along with one of the Ladies and followed by the now weaponless pirates, sent an earthquake amongst the troopers present then spread throughout the camp and extended into the fleet. The word was quickly passed to the Commodore and the Major. Commodore Traska, who had stationed himself on the planet’s surface, using the pirate ship as a temporary headquarters, began walking quickly, Commodores don’t run, to the tunnel entrance. Captain Quill who happened to be visiting the Commodore decided to join him, this was not something he wanted to miss. On their way, they caught up with Major Amrk.

“You have heard?” Traska addressed the Major.

“Yes sir. We have a visitor or two!” He paused and slowed. “A possible problem sir.”

Traska gave Amrk a sharp look.

“Accommodations, particularly for the Ladies.” Was the Major’s clarification.

The Commodore looked surprised than a wry expression appeared. “We will just have to see how that one plays out.” He said and gave the universal hand palms up gesture of I don’t know. “Let’s go and greet our distinguished guests.”

“Sir, they did not come out the tunnel, did you know?” The Major added. A surprised look appeared on Traska’s face. “Indeed we have a new cave, with a pair of doors. It appears that our suzerain likes to make an entrance.” The look on Commodore Traska’s face was expressive. Captain Quill watched the interplay with interest but kept his peace.

*********

Fleet Admiral Vis Vistricer had followed Lady Dana to the tunnel entrance. There she had looked into the tunnel for what seemed to be a very long time. Turning to Vis Vistricer she shook her head.

“Things have changed.” She said. “You will not need to enter the tunnels now.”

“No?” With surprise, and a strange sense of disappointment. He peered into the tunnel himself. “I must confess that I was both apprehensive and somewhat excited about going in.”

Lady Dana smiled, “It is always so,” She said, then sobered, “I have ventured into such places before. I have little wish myself to dare them again.” Her smile returned, “I agree that the feeling of missing an adventure is disappointing however.”

With a nod of his head, the Fleet Admiral showed his agreement. Turning to the guards who had been interested onlookers, he gave some orders. “We may as well be comfortable.” He said as chairs were brought to them, an awning followed. “Do you wish to eat and drink?” he asked courteously.

*********

Emerging from the tunnel, the Dark Lord had folded His arms, stopped and looked around, taking a deep breath. The group following him also stopped. With some amusement even amongst the pirates, they watched the guards running towards them. Commodore Traska and Major Amrk had been busy through the short night that was the planets summer, and had both strengthened the guard and put it on alert. Fleet Admiral Vis Vistricer had approved.

“Put all these under arrest.” The Dark Lords quiet command brought swift action from the Legionnaires.

 Lady Dana and the new Lady ran to each other and embraced. Greeting each other in their strange tongue. The Legionaries stared but abruptly snapped to attention when the Dark Lord strode forward after watching the two Ladies with a smile.

The legionaries began to march the prisoners away but stopped when He spoke. “Wait. There are matters to attend to here and these should be witnesses. Commodore, an honour guard, if you please, and Captain Quill is here as well. Excellent.” Captain Quill quickly covered his surprise at the sound of his name.

The Honour guard was quickly assembled. The pirates held as a group nearby. Their guards secured them and ordered them to their knees.

*********

“What about the tunnel sir.” Captain Quill was getting accustomed to Commodore Traska’s new and permanent rank.

Traska simply asked. “What tunnel?” A stunned look passed over the captain’s face. Turning he saw that the tunnel had disappeared, along with the doors that had opened for the Dark Lord.

“Sir, I am glad that you had to deal with this and not me!” Was the fervent reply.

*********

Fleet Admiral Vis Vistricer, stood in front of his officers and troops. The Dark Lord stood and faced him with the two Ladies behind him. With a start, the admiral noticed several more Ladies that that had not made their presence known before approaching out of the bushes. They formed a semi-circle around the Dark Lord.

“Admiral, you are improperly dressed!” Brought some surprised looks and frowns of puzzlement from the troops. “Indeed, for I raise you to the rank of Star Commander.” There was shock and surprise on all the assembled faces. Especially Vis Vistricers.

“My Lord,” he stuttered, “I am not capable of accepting this honour!” He seemed at a loss for words. “This, this is beyond me! I am unworthy!”

“What you say Star Commander, makes me even more certain that my selection of you is the correct one.” He smiled, stepping close and clapping the officer on the shoulder. In the open air the smile seemed to light up his face and make him somewhat less frightening, it was the aura around him and surrounding him that was overwhelming. “However, I am not certain of Grand Admiral Mont De Templers response so I will break the news to him personally. Of that responsibility I relieve you.” He bowed slightly.

 This brought cheers from the assembled troops. Commodore Traska faced the new highest ranking officer of the legion. “Let me be the first to offer my congratulations and salute sir!”

The rest of the officers followed suit. Then the Colour Sergeant took over. “For our new Star Commander! Three cheers!” The hurrahs rang out, causing puzzlement at first amongst the troops not involved. Then the word swiftly spread, just as it had when the Dark Lord had appeared. The crews of the heavy cruisers of Detachment T were agog at all the news as were the crew of the Red Rose. Every captain of every ship was now petitioned by the respective communications officer to pass the news on. On the Red Rose that included the news team stationed on board.

*********

“Have you really thought about this?” Captain Liard asked the reporter standing in front of his desk. Actually, thought the captain, he is leaning so far over the desk that he might fall over onto it! Now that would be amusing to see! “We are talking about the most powerful individual in the universe!”

“We all have the right of free speech! You are refusing to allow the news media to perform its proper function! When my organisation learns of your obstruction and refusal, my editor, well, he will blow out his circuits! Then he will have you and the Legion in court!”

“Yes and we are talking about an entity who has slaughtered entire planets who defied Him. You will get your news out when I am sure that He will not personally remove either of our heads from our shoulders! Mine especially!”

Turning to his chief of staff, he passed orders, “Make sure that my orders are promulgated amongst all crew. Anyone who sends a star comm message without my personal authorisation will face a courts martial.” Turning to the reporter. “That includes you!” Grimily. Back to his chief of staff. “That includes the admiral’s staff!” Then back to the reporter. He stood up and lent over his desk. “Understand?” With an angry glare, the frustrated reporter left.

Captain Laird followed the retreating reporter with his own glare. His Chief of Staff leaned over and whispered, “Good thing he doesn’t know that you sent an urgent hyper message to the Commander in Chief! That might have upset him!” That brought a laugh from the captain.

The reporter went immediately to the old Fleet Admiral’s staff and demanded to see the Chief of Staff. When Admiral Enos Ra Stako heard of the order, first he laughed, then he endorsed it. The reporter raged impotently and left unsatisfied.

 

0