Chapter 3
166 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Most of my injuries were healed in a week’s time. I exercised my muscles as much as possible. My left arm remained in a cast, but I could stand, walk, and even jog a little. I was back on my two feet and out of that dreary room. The staff at the manor were anything but pleased with my recovery. Fear was the only fuel for their respect, and after what happened, both had greatly diminished. They always snickered and leered when I turned my back, but now they were putting less effort into hiding them.

I had every right to punish them, order them flogged and thrown in the dungeons. Some, perhaps, wished it so. They knew of my situation. They knew if conflict arose, I’d be the one in the wrong. Compensation from a count was worth a few cracks of the whip. Greed would eventually blind them; one would overstep his boundaries, and I’d be there to crush him. 

I shook my head and breathed in the cold breeze. There was no need to occupy my head with such thoughts at the moment. I didn’t recall how long I had been walking for. It must’ve been close to an hour. The scenery around me was never boring. From green fields to dry sand to mud swamps, the academy lacked none. I could walk for a dozen more hours and not explore it all.

It was my first time back here after I lost that duel. Nothing seemed different. The same students attended the same lectures given by the same professors. It was only I who had changed. My world was flipped upside down, yet everyone else’s was undisturbed. That was hardly fair, wasn’t it?

A loud ringing reverberated through the air. The bell was located topmost of the academy, hanging up so the sound could reach every corner of it. It rang three times a day, once at dusk, again at noon, and lastly at dawn. This was the second ring today; the sun was glaring at me from straight above. It was about time I did what I came here to do. Without further delay, I entered the main building.

This might sound surprising, but I was well-liked by my students. I taught a minor class about botany that I knew nothing about and had zero interest in. I never attended, nor did the students. They got their marks, and I got my paycheck. Nothing warmed my heart more than seeing their generous gratitude after.

And so over a short period, I garnered a certain reputation. My name was sought by the children and despised by the teachers. None failed my class as long as their pockets ran deep – and since all students were nobility – it remained at a hundred percent passing rate. That was until this year when I had not just one but two commoners.

I arrived at my office and stepped inside. There was a small safe under my desk where I kept all my savings. I entered the seven-number combination, and it was open. I had five hundred gold pieces carefully tucked in a small metal box. A farmer could live off just one gold coin a year. This was enough to buy a large house and live modestly for the rest of my life. 

“Professor Aldrin.” A man dressed in all white knocked on the door.

I put the box back inside and closed the safe’s door. “Yes?” 

He stepped inside. “I’m sorry to disturb you. The headmaster wishes to meet with you.”

“When?”

“Right now, if possible.”

***

Sighing, I picked up the cup and took a sip. Bitter as donkey’s piss. I took another sip. “Thank you, Ester. The coffee is lovely.” It was arguably the worst thing I had ever tasted. 

The white-haired hag feigned a smile. “I’m glad, Professor.”  Sarcasm was dripping from her tongue, “Are you sure you’re not in need of anything, Professor? You can lie if you’d like. Your body must still be hurting.”

Bitch. “Oh, I’m perfectly fine now. Thank you, Ester.” I sat up and folded my hands. “Would you mind seeing if the Headmaster is free to see me yet?”

“Of course,” she smirked and stood up. I whispered a prayer, wishing she’d trip and break her neck, but no gods were listening. She stood before two great doors. They were almost twice her height. She knocked once, opened one, and disappeared inside. A few minutes went by until she reappeared again. A confident, condescending smile hung on her lips. She ushered me in and closed the doors behind me.

The area around me was anything short of magnificent. It was too small to be labeled a ‘hall’ yet too large to be called a ‘room’ or an ‘office’. The floors were covered in expensive-looking rugs with bizarre and complex patterns. The ceiling was concave, painted with colorful murals and interwoven calligraphy. The walls were hidden by tall shelves, enveloping everything in a cocoon of books and papers. There was some furniture here and there but all were eclipsed by the grand black desk at the far end.

“Good morning,” the Headmaster's voice rang clear despite being so far away. “Please, have a seat.”

I counted fifty steps from where I entered to sitting in one of the guest chairs. “It’s a pleasure seeing you, Headmaster.”

He was a large man, not fat but well built. His head was bare and his face rugged, though you couldn’t see much of it as a thick layer of white hair ran from below his nose to his neck. If seen without his glasses and extravagant suites, one would mistake him for a lumberjack or a collier. “The pleasure is mine, Aldrin. How have you been?” 

“I’ve been great.” I put on a small smile. “I’m healing nicely.”

“Good, good.” He wore a big smile. “Would you like something to drink?”

“No, thank you,” I replied.

The headmaster crossed his brows. “I had heard you’re a man who enjoys his spirits. I must apologize for my gift then. I must seem thoughtless.”

Gift? I racked my brain but couldn’t figure out what he meant by that. My confusion was easily noticed, and I saw his frown crease. “Oh no no, I very much still drink. I haven’t been able to enjoy it lately as I’ve been told it’d interfere with my medication. Thank you for your consideration and the generous gift.”

His broad smile returned. “Great, great.” He put down his glasses and spoke in a more serious tone, “Well, I do not wish to take much of your time. You must know why I called you here.”

Ah, shit. I hoped things wouldn’t come to this. My job was both powerful and profitable. It would be a real shame to lose it over something as trivial as a scuffle with a commoner. I nodded and let out a deeply regretful sigh.

“Indeed, it’s regarding your duel with Kai.” He paused, examining my reaction. “It is not uncommon for students to request duels from their teachers, though they rarely go through. It is, however, unprecedented that a participant gets as severely injured as you were.”

A provocation? That didn’t make any sense. Why was he trying to antagonize me? I stayed calm and stared back at him.

"I do not mean to insult you, Aldrin. If anything it is my fault; the duel should have been stopped much earlier.” He kept his eyes locked with mine and leaned back into his chair. “What would you like to happen?”

I frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Kai is a commoner. He laid his hands on you and almost caused your death.” He paused again, then repeated, “What would you like to happen?”

It was a test, that much was clear. My answer would determine something, though what, I was not sure. The kid was odd, and our duel confirmed it. The headmaster knew this. He was making me choose. “The boy won. The duel was overseen by an agent of the king. What I’d like to do is go back to teaching… and training.”

The headmaster's gaze hardened. He regarded me for a few moments, then let out a hearty laugh and wore his ever-permanent smile.

***

“Welcome back, Young Master.” Fidel was the one to welcome me back.

I nodded and continued inside, heading straight to my room. Yet for some reason, He was following me. Glancing back, I spoke, “Yes, Fidel?”

He picked up speed and walked beside me. “I was wondering how things went, Young master.” He sounded… worried?

“Great. I’ll be starting classes next week.” I waited for him to speak, but he said nothing. “Speaking of which, has the Headmaster sent anything for me?”

“You spoke with the Headmaster?” He asked back. A few seconds passed, and met with no answer, he had no choice but to continue, “The headmaster sent a bottle of rum; wishing you early recovery.”

I felt my jaw clench. “And knowing where I was going today, did you not think this relevant?”

“I—I apologize, Young Master.” This might be the first time I’ve seen him flustered by anyone other than Father. “I did not think you’d be meeting the headmaster himself.”

“Send it to my room. I want everything delivered directly to me from now on.” I waved him away and continued on my own.

***

Today had been tiring, and I was glad to see it end. The first thing I did was take a bath. Mica had just returned with food and was setting up the table. Since I wasn’t bedridden anymore, we could eat further away from where we slept. I stood with my back to her, changing into something comfortable. Feeling a pair of eyes on me, I glanced back and found her staring at me. “Is everything ready, Mica?” I asked, acting oblivious.

“Y—yes, Young Master!” She squeaked, averting her gaze. 

“Alright, I’ll be there in a moment.” I stripped back down and picked different clothes. I held each piece of clothing longer than necessary and moved much slower than before. Her eyes were back on me, wandering over my arms, legs, back, and torso. They even lingered on my backside for a while.

My eyebrows rose as a smile appeared on my face. She was getting more daring.

Dinner was rather dull. Mica ate with her eyes down. There was a visible blush on her cheeks: She knew I caught her. Now that I was looking at her, her face was fuller than a week ago. Her cheeks weren’t hollow anymore, and her skin was not as pale. Her body had also filled in, showing some slight curves. Though, the most prominent thing was her hair: A bright vibrant red, almost as if it were ablaze. Her head dipped even further at my staring.

Not a whole lot was said. Mica cleaned up and soon we were off to bed – I in mine while her on the ground. An interesting idea popped into my hand. I wasn’t sure if it was time or not. On one hand, she stopped flinching every time I moved a muscle, but on the other, moving forward too quickly would be detrimental. I mulled it over in my head and decided to go through with it.

“Mica,” I called out, and she answered immediately. I lifted the blanket and said, “Come up here.”

She gave me her usual protests. I waited until she was done and repeated the last sentence again. She let out a whimper and climbed up the bed. She laid at the edge, as far away as she could. I covered us both and put an arm around her waist. Her body was shaking vigorously.

“Calm down,” I whispered near her ear. “The floor is too hard… We’re just going to sleep.” I pulled her towards me – her back touching my chest.

She let out another whimper and curled into a ball, tucking her knees up and hugging them.

“Shhhh…. Just relax…” With one hand not functioning, I bent the other upwards while still holding her and combed her hair. It was a bit awkward, but it worked. “Take a deep breath, Mica… You’re safe. You’re okay.”

I continued whispering nothings until the shaking turned to shivering, and that too finally stopped. Her body was not as soft as I had imagined it, but it was warm. It didn’t take long for sleep to take over me. I remember feeling a smile on my face. Today had been quite productive.

Announcement

Late and not as well polished as I would have liked. Will try to edit it tomorrow. Let me know what you think!

4