Chapter 17
239 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 17: Meeting the Princess again // Unexpectedly Cute?

With a blank face, Zed turned around and met Xia Meixiang's arrogant smile.

Zed didn't idle around and directly went to the point. "What do you want from us?"

Xia Meixiang's arrogant expression didn't change as she spoke in a condescending tone. "Oh? What's with the rush? You haven't even drank the tea I made myself. Be grateful, for you are the first two commoners to have ever tasted a tea brewed by royalty."

Zed didn't answer and simply remained quiet, making the atmosphere awkwardly silent.

"..."

"..."

Xia Meixiang was bothered by Zed's lack of response, and she couldn't stand the silence so she spoke again. "Are you deliberately showing disrespect to me? The Royal Princess of Fengshui Kingdom?"

"If you keep beating around the bush, my sister and I will leave," Zed said.

Xia Meixian's smile faded and her eyes narrowed. "Are you sure you can escape from this place? Remember, my family has numerous experts."

Similarly, Zed's eyes glistened as he spoke in the same cold and threatening tone as Xia Meixian. "Yes but you've seen what I'm capable of."

The two glared at each other, trying to see who would back down first.

"My guards can overwhelm you and as far as I can see, you're not enough to handle a Core Foundation Expert." Her body started to exude an aura of oppression and dominance. Her crimson eyes glowed bright red as the silhouette of an Empress appeared behind her.

This was a unique aura that only those in line to the throne could make.

'Core Foundation, the next cultivation realm after Qi Formation huh...' Zed spoke. "Certainly, I wouldn't be able to handle a Core Foundation Expert but..."

There were no changes in his surroundings nor a threatening pressure appearing on his body. Instead, he only stared at Xei Meixian before saying indifferently, "I can kill you before any experts could get here."

"!!" Xei Meixian's body slightly trembled and she didn't know why. Is it because of the look in his eyes or was it his confident tone? Xei Meixian didn't know, but in either case...

Xei Meixian glared. "Are you threatening me?"

"You were the one who threatened us first, Princess. After all, we want nothing to do with you nor this kingdom any longer."

The two continued glaring at each other, guessing each other's next actions.

However, their stalemate was broken when Zed suddenly spoke with anger evident in his eyes. "You make the slightest move, Your future queen loses her head."

He wasn't speaking to Xia Meixian, but to the expert who suddenly appeared behind him. Zed couldn't see how or where he came from, but he knows that the man was holding Lan'er as a hostage.

That's why Lan'er hasn't been speaking this entire time.

The situation turned into a deadlock before Xia Meixian sighed out loud.

"Stand down."

"But your highne-" The man wanted to refuse, but one look from Xia Meixian's eyes was enough for him to follow obediently.

"Xu Lun will follow her highness' order."

With that, he disappeared.

"Brother!" Lan'er hugged Zed.

Zed crouched down and hugged her back. He caressed her head and comforted her. "There, there. I'm sorry, That must've been scary, right?"

Lan'er shook her head. "Not really, I knew brother would protect me."

"Is that so? Well, you're right about that." Zed chuckled.

Xia Meixian sighed once more as she spoke in a disgruntled tone. "I don't understand you."

Zed didn't care as he stood back up and asked again. "What do you want from us?"

"Just how much do you hate this city or is it me that you don't like?" Xia Meixiang couldn't help but ask after seeing Zed's negative attitude.

Zed simply answered, "Both."

"...Alright, your hatred towards the city, I can understand. After all, getting targeted by the Black Dog Gang isn't a peaceful situation."

Zed didn't show any reaction since he already knew that they were being investigated for the past week.

Additionally, he also detected royal soldiers monitoring their place from time to time, but that was after the battle in the basement happened.

Zed guessed that Xia Meixiang was the reason that they hadn't received any retaliation yet from that gang.

But he didn't care since it was already decided that they were going to leave the city.

Xia Meixian silently observed his reaction and, seeing his attitude, she thought. 'As expected, he already knows.'

"But what I do not understand is what made you dislike me. I am the Princess of the Fengshu Kingdom! Many commoners would bow in reverence before me

And just being in my presence would be their greatest honor of a lifetime."

She looked as if she genuinely didn't understand the reason for their indifference towards the Royal Family.

"Look, You did your research, right? So you should know that my sister and I recently moved to this city a month ago. So we don't feel any loyalty nor the need to glorify the Royal Family."

Zed continued, "And as for you, I don't like you. I tend to treat others the same way they treat me.

If you helped us then I would've been grateful and respectful to you, but you don't have a big heart to do that. Instead, you tried to corner us by letting the Black Dog gang do what they wanted."

Lan'er gasped. "Really? She let that happen?"

"I-" Xia Meixiang wanted to refute, but she couldn't. Not when Zed had revealed the truth in front of her.

Xia Meixiang couldn't bear to meet Lan'er's innocent gaze. She was ashamed that her schemes had been revealed.

"Most of all, you've been talking to us informally. You haven't been acting like a proper Princess befitting the Royal blood.

Instead, you are acting like a spoiled young mistress of a noble family."

Zed shook his head in disapproval. He didn't wait for Xia Meixiang to process her thoughts and asked without tacit understanding.

"With that out of the way, I'll ask again. What do you want from us, Princess?"

Xia Meixiang made a grim smile before bowing her head again.

"My apologies. After thinking things through, I think I was too excited and eager to meet two peculiarly capable children."

Zed's expression didn't change as he said. "In other words, you just wanted to become friends?"

Xia Meixiang jolted and hid her face in embarrassment. "Y-yes."

Zed scratched the back of his head as he didn't expect his careless remark to be correct.

"You didn't have to do it in a roundabout way, you know?"

Xia Meixiang looked at him. "B-but I have to act befitting of my position, you know? I'm the Princess! And although I won't inherit the throne, I still have to act the part."

"I didn't hear anything." Zed immediately noticed her scheme.

"Tsk. Anyway, I'll tell you the real reason why I invited you here."

Zed nodded, asking for her to continue.

"For now... could we take a seat? It's awkward to keep talking while standing like this." Xia Meixiang suggested, but Zed declined.

"No need. My sister and I will be leaving as soon as the business is over."

Xia Meixiang pouted. "Even though I asked to be your friend."

"We might've thought about it if you asked like a normal person."

"Also, I did brew the tea, you know?" Xia Meixiang added, acting as if she didn't hear Zed's response.

Zed was beginning to get impatient. "And we don't trust you enough to drink your tea. Is that all? We'll leave if you keep wasting our time."

"Mhmmmalright! alright! No need to be so grumpy jeez!" She reacted childishly.

If one were to see Xia Meixiang right now, they would never believe what they saw. The Xia Meixiang that everyone knows is a prim and proper princess.

She always maintained a dignified image and her words were always short and straight to the point. Her face always remained emotionless as her trademark sharp scarlet eyes made her look picturesque.

Countless people revere her for having a strong and unique temperament. With a talent that appears once in 1000 years, they knew that she would become a strong Immortal in the future.

Zed inwardly shook his head as he thought, 'You really can't trust rumors.'

"Sister Mei!"

Suddenly, a bright and small voice called from the stairs.

The group looked up at the stairs and saw a cute girl with bright and gentle eyes, smooth jade skin, a small nose, and cherry lips.

She had long black hair that fell to her back and bright golden eyes that made one feel warm and at ease.

She was very adorable and would no doubt grow up to be a beauty that could topple countries.

Her little legs ran quickly and made their way towards Xia Meixiang. After she arrived, she then hugged the latter.

"Oof. Fei'er! What did I say about running? Were those the actions befitting a noble?" Xia Meixiang reprimanded while getting a strong bear hug from the little girl.

Zed immediately recognized the little girl as Shi Jingfei, the young mistress of the Shi family. She was also rumored to be the princess' closest friend.

Shi Jingfei let go of Xia Meixiang and smiled cheekily. "Hehehe! I just wanted to greet Sister Mei properly- Oweee!"

"What part of that was proper?" Xia Meixiang said while pinching the little girl's cheeks.

Looking at the two, Zed was reminded of their similarities as both Lan'er and Shi Jingfei seemed to have the same height.

Zed and Xia Meixiang also seem to have the same height, albeit the latter being a little bit taller than the former.

While getting pinched by Xia Meixiang, Shi Jingfei noticed the two siblings.

She removed Xia Meixiang's hand and brightly greeted them. "Oh! Nice to meet you! My name is Shi Jingfei! I hope we can get along!"

Xia Meixiang pinched Shi Jingfei again. "Fei'er, is that the way to introduce yourself as a noble?"

The latter cried, "But Sister Mei! If you brought them here, then that means you can trust them. Besides, they aren't nobles, right?

Plus, I figure that they're the new friends you were talking about for the past few da-"

"Shhh!!!" Xia Meixiang hurriedly covered Shi Jingfei's mouth.

Seeing that it was the middle of the day already, Zed figured that they should leave now since they might have trouble looking for shelter once it gets dark.

Plus, he wasn't particularly interested in knowing the relationship between the two.

However, he noticed that Lan'er was secretly observing the two while hiding behind his back. She seemed to be particularly interested in Shi Jingfei.

He leaned down and asked Lan'er. "Do you want to be friends with her?"

"I don't know." She answered ambiguously.

But to Zed, not saying no was already an answer.

Zed encouraged her. "Well, try to talk to her."

"But I..." Lan'er was hesitant and nervous.

Zed also knew that she was shy, so the best he could do was support his sister. He also thought Shi Jingfei would be a perfect friend for her because of her personality.

Well, it is mainly because Shi Jingfei was a girl, that's why Zed allowed her to become friends with his little sister.

Just as he was about to talk to Shi Jingfei, the latter moved closer and stood beside Zed. She was playfully looking behind him at where Lan'er was hiding.

"Hi!" She cheerfully greeted him.

Her face and smile oozed innocence as looking at her could melt even the coldest of hearts.

Lan'er remained hidden but responded. "H-hello..."

"Why are you hiding?" Shi Jingfei asked.

"I- uhm.. uh..." Lan'er couldn't explain that she was shy.

Seeing his little sister get attacked by social anxiety, he felt fortunate that he saw it this early so he would be able to cure it earlier, too.

After all, he didn't want his sister to suffer a communication disorder or become a loner introvert.

Of course, she would never truly suffer since he would be there to accompany her. But still- He knows that his sister has her own life to live.

He can't possibly always put her under his wing and never allow her to grow.

Zed wouldn't allow it, and he would never forgive himself if he failed in raising Lan'er properly. That's why he was encouraging her to make friends.

Seeing his little sister unable to answer, he spoke to Shi Jingfei for her.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Shi Jingfei. Please forgive my sister since she's too shy to speak." Zed made customary and formal greetings.

Shi Jingfei made a face that said, "Oh, so that's why!" before greeting Zed back.

"Hi, big brother! I'm Shi Jingfei and since you're friends of Sister Mei, don't be afraid to call me Fei'er!"

Zed had a feeling that she would be a very popular social butterfly in the future.

Xia Meixiang made an embarrassed face when she heard Shi Jingfei call Zed and Lan'er her friends.

Zed raised his brow while looking at Xia Meixiang with an entertained look.

Xia Meixiang noticed Zed and her face flushed red in embarrassment. If there was a hole she could hide in, she would dive there right away.

'This little princess unexpectedly has a cute side.' Zed thought.

Edited By: WorthyAdversary

7