Chapter 3: Embrace
488 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ahhh..." is the first thing I say after a relaxing little nap, followed by stretching my arms and legs. Then the memories start flooding back to me, causing my heart rate to increase. My eyelids open wide and I see that I'm again in another unfamiliar room. What is it with these people and sedating me all the time?

"Where am I?" I say while sitting up straight in bed, but nobody answers me. I wasn't covered with blankets so I feel a bit cold. I'm rubbing my arms to get my body temperature up, but it only helps so much. At least I'm not restrained this time. 

I quickly get up from the bed and inspect myself and this room more thoroughly. I'm still wearing the same kimono-like outfit, but this time my tail is free from its prison. If my situation were any better, I might joke that it could be used to dust the floor as the tip reaches all the way down.  

It doesn't take me long to notice that I'm no longer wearing any slippers, as I'm standing barefoot on a rather cold floor. Again? They again took my slippers?

"Brrr," I say out loud, then yanking a folded blanket from the bed, throwing it on the floor and standing on top of it.  "Yes....much better..."  I nod, happy that my feet aren't feeling as cold anymore. 

This room seems designed to keep people inside, the door is definitely sturdy looking. Could this be a prison cell? No, this looks more like a hotel room. But you won't find such a door in a hotel, it's a metal door after all. 
No way am I going to get out of here without any help. Why didn't I just stay back at the institution? Well, I didn't really have a choice, did I?

Plain white walls surround me, only one of them is decorated with one of those cheap generic flower paintings you can buy anywhere on the internet. On the bright side, there's an unbarred window in this room, so I don't completely feel alienated from the rest of the world. Next thing I notice is a small table in the corner, two chairs are placed next to it against the wall. No TV though, just a minimalistic room.

Where is this place? I carefully move towards the window by moving the blanket in that direction while still standing on it.
I look outside the window and try to see if I can get a clue to where I am.
"Ohhh..." I say out loud. "That's a no-go."

I'm somewhere high above ground level, probably on the fifth or sixth floor of this building. This building seems to be located somewhere in a moderate sized city, traffic is moving through the crowded and rainy streets below me.

They must have injected something potent in my neck earlier, as it is already getting dark outside;  I must have slept for hours. The streetlights just turned on, I can barely see a lonely pigeon sitting on one of them.
Raindrops are forming on the window, drops slowly making their way down.  

Only now do I notice a surveillance camera in the corner of the room, attached to the ceiling. A small blinking red light indicates that I'm being watched. Once in a while it makes a soft electronic sound, "bzzzt." The camera...it's following my every move.

I quickly walk towards the door and wait for the camera to catch up, then I return to the window.
It doesn't matter how many times I repeat this, it just keeps following me. Creepy...what do they think of me?
One minute of playing hide-and-seek with the camera and I'm already bored of this game. I've decided it's best to stand on the blanket for now, what else can I do? 

"Hello, how about you guys let me out of here?" I said loud enough for any potential neighbors to hear, but again there was no reply.

Not even a minute later, the door opens. It sounds like an electronic buzz followed by a "click." Ewan steps inside the room, immediately closing the door after him. Again the "click."
Did I just see an armed guard behind him? And....wait....was that an Air Force uniform?

"Ewan....where am I?" I must have a very confused expression on my face at the moment. 

"Robert, you are at the Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, DC. This is a US Army base." Ewan said matter-of-factly.

"O..kaaaaay...please don't tell me I'm a prisoner here."

"No, you are not a prisoner, but you are also not free to leave. You are being held here for reasons of national security," he told me, with another cold look in his eyes. Yes, he surprisingly has no use for sunglasses at the moment.

"Excuse me? National security? What on Earth could I have possibly done for you to keep me here?"
I pointed at myself, emphasizing that I'm just an ordinary citizen. A victim of strange events.

"On Earth you say? That's a rather...interesting choice of words. We need you to answer a few questions, are you ready for that?"

"Well, I am hungry....and.. can't we at least talk in a less claustrophobic room?"

"Maybe later, but not for now. How about I order some food for you after our conversation?"

"Mmmm alright then. I'm pretty interested to learn how I'm exactly supposed to be a security threat to this country."

"As are we." God, he looks really serious. He motions me to sit down at the table. He sits down as well. 
Ewan then puts a small black microphone on the table, sets it to recording and starts his little game of twenty questions. 

"For the record, what's your name, age and occupation?" His expression is definitely serious, I better just play along with these guys. 

While I'm contemplating my reply, the microphone's small LED is blinking red, indicating it really is recording.

"I am Robert Moss, 32 years old and I work as a reporter for the Unexplained Magazine."

"Good. See...this isn't so hard, is it?" 

I shake my head while continuing to look down at the microphone.

"Robert, what's today's date?"

"Excuse me? Are you serious?" I lock my eyes onto Ewan's.

Ewan nods to my question. "Very."

"Alright then. Whatever, have it your way. Today is Thursday, November 9th."

"Okay, and the year?" Ewan asks.

"You are serious aren't you? Fine...it's 2017."

"Thank you. Now please tell us what has happened to you today," he asks in a calm tone of voice.

I then explained everything in chronological order. From my planned meeting at the museum until the arrival of Ewan at the institution. I even described the face and personality of the witty security guard of the museum; he should be able to corroborate my story. Ewan then asked me some common sense questions, like who is the current President of the United States. Even things like the meaning of Christmas and describing how my driver's license and passport look like. The more questions he asks, the more I'm starting to wonder if he's going insane.

"Interesting day you had, " was all Ewan said after I finished answering his questions.

"Interesting? Are you kidding? That's an understatement. More like a bizarre day. Now...how about you give ME some answers?"  I crossed my arms, and my expression conveyed to him that I wasn't going to answer any more of his questions.

"Okay, I can do that. You answer my questions, then I answer some of yours. But not now. You should have something to eat while we do a background check on you. Then we will give you some answers."

"Okay, deal!" I said. My rumbling stomach agreed with the proposal. 

Only minutes later does my meal arrive. Brought by a smiling lady...escorted by a not smiling guard. Thank god they included coffee in there!
Otherwise the meal was nothing special, some egg sandwiches and a few cookies to top it off. I guess someone feels sorry for me, for this really is comfort food for me now. Or maybe they are just afraid that I would make a mess out of things if I were to throw a more regular dinner against the wall. 

It's already dark outside, the bright light in here is not comfortable, it hurts my eyes.
After my dinner, my tray was taken away while the guard made sure that I didn't try anything stupid. But just before the door closed, Ewan stepped in.

"Enjoyed your dinner, Robert?"

"Yes, very much. I was starving, thank you." 

"Excellent. As promised we have some answers for you. Are you ready?"

"Are you kidding? Give them to me already!" Man, I'm so nervous right now!

We are now both sitting at the table again, when Ewan continues.
"Good. First...you don't exist." Ewan said, smiling as if he just told the best joke ever.

"Excuse me? That's not funny. What is that even supposed to mean? I'm sitting right here, aren't I?" 
I raised my arms, my palms upwards for a second.

"No....I meant there is no Robert Moss registered as a Redmont resident. Nor any other place close to Seattle."

"But..."  but Ewan motioned me to wait.

"There's no Robert Moss working for the Unexplained Magazine. And nothing strange has happened in the Chicago museum either. We were able to track down the security guard you described, but he didn't remember a thing about any strange mirrors."

"Wait.....you guys all figured that out while I was eating a sandwich?"

"Yep. That's only one of our specialties. It doesn't change the results though."

"But I'm not lying!" I started to shout, losing my temper.

"I know. We are getting to the bottom of this, I promise you. We also checked your fingerprints but nothing showed up in any biometrics database. We were however able to find the mirror you described and will move it to one of our facilities for the time being."

"Good, nothing bad can come from it now."  I feel more at ease now. Still not relaxed though.

"Yes, that's the general idea. Thank you for cooperating so far."

"Really? Why wouldn't I?" His statement was just silly. What good would it do if I didn't answer his questions?  

"Most people wouldn't be so eager to talk under these circumstances. Which brings us to the results of your physical tests."

"Ah, finally some answers! You found a way to get me out of this stupid suit, right?" I said while pointing at my neck. I shivered, wanting to get out of this thing. It gives me the creeps!

"Well.. not quite. Just hear me out, but first allow me to bring in one of our counselors. She knows all about your..case...and will help the both of us."

I nod, I just want those answers. I don't care how many people need to be involved, just help me already!

"Good evening." A smiling lady in an Air Force uniform enters the room while carrying a tall mirror. She places it against the wall, but in such a way that I can't look at it from my current position. I stand up and then we shake hands.

"Robert, I'm Katie Davies. Call me Katie please." She gives me another warm smile, though it might be a professional one only. Her bright brown eyes somehow do seem to say "trust me."

"Katie, I'm Robert, nice to meet you. Ewan, can I now finally get those answers you promised me?"

"Of course. While you were sleeping, we checked your blood and gave you an MRI to check your body and brain for ...anomalies. You know what an MRI is?"

"Yes, yes, please continue, I can't wait!"

"The good news is that we don't see any damaged parts and your blood work also shows no signs of toxic substances. So you appear to be healthy." Ewan said.

"What do you mean appear, am I healthy or not?" Do you believe this guy? How long should I tolerate this?

"Robert," Katie says while putting her hand on my arm, making me focus on her. "Honey, you don't seem to be wearing a bodysuit. You really seem to be a healthy, albeit troubled, young lady."

"WHAT?! No way. I'm not going insane! You must be mistaken! Check again!" I pointed a finger at my temples, emphasizing that I'm not the one going insane.

"Relax Robert. Let me continue." She waits for me to calm down and to nod. "There's more. Your ears and tail don't seem to be implants. We have no idea where they came from, they even moved on their own while you were unconscious. The only thing that makes sense at this point, is that you are....not human."
Her expression shows pity for me. 

I take a step back and glare at both Katie and Ewan, then shout "now who's crazy! I can tell you everything about my life, my job, even my parents. Why would you think I am....what...an alien?"

Ewan glances at Katie and she steps back, then he continues the conversation. "Your blood work shows unfamiliar properties. No human with those properties would be walking around asking questions. And the MRI clearly shows that your brain is....different than what we expected to see. Let's not even start talking about your tail muscles or two still unidentified organs. Trust me. You....are....not...human...."

"But....back at the hospital? They said that my blood was just fine? Ewan...you are scaring me. For god's sake, tell me that this is just a bad joke." I closed my eyes and my hands covered my face for a moment.

"The hospital staff didn't test your blood as thoroughly as we did. I'm not trying to scare you. And I'm not lying to you either. You really are not human. We had to convince the hospital staff and the staff in the institution to keep quiet about you. Ah, and the police too. Then we still have the common sense questions."

"Ah, c'mon. For god's sake, don't tell me I flunk those as well." I sat down on the bed, shaking my head. I can't take this anymore.

"Well, you actually did. Your president is a senator in this country. And the US passport's cover is not a dark blue/blackish color but a dark green one. And to make things even more interesting, today's date is Thursday, December 3th, 2015. Only the fact that it is indeed a Thursday matches with your notion of time. But that is probably just a coincidence."

"You've got to be kidding me?" I looked at both of them. I'm still hoping that I'm the victim of a television practical joke series or something like that.

"No, we are not lying to you. One of our staff who was monitoring your answers through the camera has proposed a theory. He says you may have originated from an alternate reality. Same Earth, but different somehow." Ewan said, he really seems to be serious.

"Oh no no no. Don't you start with science fiction stories. That's my job. Can't you just let me go?"

"No, you can't leave. And where would you go? You don't exist as far as we know. And although it may sound far fetched, this theory does seem to explain what has happened to you. Tell me, have you ever seen people with animal ears or a tail wherever you came from?"

"No, never. I still believe this is just some elaborate prank. Maybe a government test to see how easily you can break people's minds. No, you guys are in on this, aren't you? Now get me OUT OF THIS SUIT!!!"

Katie asks Ewan to leave and he does, closing the door behind him.

"Robert, listen to me. If you don't believe me, can you believe what your own eyes see?" Katie says in a gentle tone of voice, trying to help me calm down.

"I guess so," I said, staring down at my feet.

"Good, now please step in front of the mirror and undress."

"WHAT? Excuse me? You want me to get naked here, in front of that camera?" I looked at the camera, then at Katie again.

"Yes, but I promise that I will get it offline for a few minutes. See, the light is no longer blinking."

"Okay...and the window? People can see me from the street, can't they?"

"No, they can't. There's a coating on the outside of the window. You can look outside, but not the other way around."

"Okay then. But how is this going to convince me?" 

"Please, just trust me. I need you to accept what you see. Then we can make plans together and find you another place to live. We really don't want you to spend the rest of your life in a cell."

"Okay, but you promise that you are not lying to me?"

"I promise. This is no prank. You've clearly been through much in one day. Most people would have crashed by now, but somehow you are still able to keep functioning. I want you to trust me when I say that I believe you, when you think that you are human. Even if the evidence proves otherwise. And you clearly don't act like a nutcase to me."

That made me smile for a second.

"See, that smile is already one step in the right direction. You are not crazy. Something happened to you and we will figure it out. We just can't have you running around like this on the streets at the moment. You surely can understand that, right?"

"Yeah, I think I see your point. Good, I trust you. For now. But please, I don't know how much more of this I can take."

"Robert, I know you are strong. You will get through this. We will get through this together. I will be there with you as long as you need me. Can you believe that at least?"

"Yes Katie. Thank you."

"Ah...don't thank me yet. The most difficult thing for you is accepting your new reality. Your body. Now undress."

"But you are a lady..." I tightly seal my lips for a moment, feeling embarrassed. 

She smiles, looks at my ears, then focuses on my eyes. "You really are a guy in there, aren't you?"

"Well, yes and no."

"Eh, now I lost you. You were adamant that you are a guy and now you are doubting?"

"No no, you don't understand. At this point I can be honest with you, right?" Katie nods. "I really am a guy. But I have felt like a woman all my life. And now you are telling me I really am one." 

"So..you were..are...trans?" 

"Yes, Katie. Now you know my deepest, darkest secret. I would appreciate it if you could keep this between us."

"Ah, do you mind if I share this fact with the team? I promise nobody else will learn."

"You swear?"

"Of course! We are professionals here!"

"Okay then."

"Now for the last time. Undress!"

"Yes ma'am!" I saluted, which made her smile.

I pull the weird dress over my head and throw it unceremoniously on the bed. I felt my ears twitching due to the force of my undressing action, and then I noticed my tail again.

She laughed at my antics and motioned at my underwear. 

"Oh god. Noooo, that too?"

"We're only girls in here, so yes please."

"Do I have to?" I must be blushing, forced to strip in front of her. 

"You really are a guy in there....ah sorry, you know what I meant." 

I nodded and shrugged. Then I removed the last parts that gave me some dignity and was now completely naked. My eyes were firmly closed.

"Look at yourself in the mirror."

"But.."

"DO IT!" 

And my eyes open to take in my reflection.

"Oh my god, no. That's not me!" I could see a blush forming on that face in the mirror. Then I close my eyes again.

Katie puts her hand on my shoulder and whispers in my ears, which are located on top of my head, "calm down. I am here for you. You are safe here. Look again and see if you can find any part of a suit. If you do, I promise you to get it removed."

"Okay." I meekly say and slowly focus on the mirror again. 

"Tell me what you see," Katie asks.

"I see a young woman."

"And..?"

"She has furry ears on her head and a long fluffy tail. All the fur is a silvery-white with a very white tip on the tail. She looks like some sort of a human-fox hybrid."

"Very good. Do you think she's pretty?"

"Hmm... yes she's pretty."

"I think so too. Now look closer. Can you try to find any evidence of a suit? See if you can remove any paint or perhaps pull a bit here and there?"

"Ouch! OUCH! No..I....don't think...there is a suit. Also no paint...I think."

"Very good. I am proud of you! You are not freaking out. The human mind is very strong, don't you think? Even though you look different."

"Thank you Katie. I'm still not completely convinced. But suppose you are right, how am I supposed to live like this? What if I really am an alien or something? People will treat me as...as I don't know what. I can't show up in public ever again."

"I don't know about that. There must be ways, besides, except for the ears and tail, you still look human, don't you think?"

"Yeah, that's right. I didn't consider that fact."

"Good girl. Besides, we all know that you are a human in there."

This comment made me blush.

"Did you like what I called you?"

"Actually...yes. It's a bit strange though." I touch the mirror, luckily it doesn't zap me.

"The MRI showed us that she's very real. You are her. And as you can see in the mirror, you are very pretty."

At this point I start crying. Probably from all of today's stress. It would be much to handle for anyone, and then becoming a woman at the same time? It's just too much. I slowly sit down on the floor, on the blanket and touch the mirror while I continue to cry. "Is that really me? No suit?"

"Yes honey. No suit. That is absolutely real. You are a woman and nobody can take that away from you." She then sits down next to me, puts another blanket around me and gives me a warm hug. "Just let your tears come out. Nobody is going to harm you. I wouldn't lie to you."

<sniff> "Thank you Katie." Then the real, deep, emotional tears are coming relentlessly. One continuous flow of tears until none are left.
At least ten minutes have passed before my tears are finally subsiding and I feel completely drained. I somehow feel cleansed on the inside too.

"Are you feeling better now, honey?"  She is massaging my back. 

"Yes, much better. But.." <sniff>  "I feel completely drained."  I said.

"Believe it or not, that's actually a good thing. It means you are processing things and it shows just how strong you really are."

"You think so?" A small smile forms on my lips.

"It's my job, so trust me when I say that you are very strong. Now how about you take a nice hot shower and we give you some proper clothes. We will wash that...dress of yours in case you want it back in the future."

"Sure, it would be nice to wear something more...normal."

 

 

After having faced my inner demons, it was time for a long and relaxing hot shower. It really made me feel "me" again, whatever that means at the moment. I tried to confirm one last time that I wasn't wearing any suit, and I wasn't. The reflection in the mirror now shows a more relaxed young woman. All normal, except for the ears and tail that is. I pulled at my tail.."ouch!" Yep, it's not going anywhere. Otherwise...pretty normal. She really is cute. No, I am. Yep, she's smiling at me now...and blushing as well. I shake my head to focus on getting dressed.

I had some troubles with the bra they provided for me, but in the end I was able to dress properly in some kind of army training suit. Well, it's not very stylish, but it is definitely comfortable. The only thing I don't like is that my back is not fully covered due to my tail sticking out. No matter what I try, I can only wrap some cloth around it to keep it warm. Oh, and my new slippers are wonderfully warm too.

Katie and I talked a bit more about my future and she promised that things would work out somehow. 
They weren't going to treat me like an alien, but they still wanted me to do some tests. Of course I said that I would do my best to cooperate.

At some point I remembered that I used to have a necklace with a pink dolphin, but Katie said I arrived without it. Too bad, I really liked it.

After my conversation with Katie, Ewan asked if I would be interested in examining the mirror they took from the museum. But only tomorrow, after I had a good night's rest. I agreed to that, of course. He smiled and confirmed that I would be getting some better accommodations soon. 

Then...it was time for me to sleep..under the watchful eyes of the now active camera.

However...sleep didn't come easily, even if I was dead tired.
I couldn't lie on my back due to my tail beginning to hurt after a few minutes. When I was almost asleep, I subconsciously turned to sleep on my stomach, which is my usual sleep posture. I quickly realized that sleeping on my tummy wasn't going to work anymore due to other changes on the front side of my new body. When I finally found a comfortable sleeping posture, lying on my side, my tail dropped out of bed without warning, waking me up again. "Brrr cold!" 
I instinctively pulled it back into my warm bed and it somehow ended up in front of my face where it served as the most fluffy warm pillow ever. From that moment on...I....zzzzzzzzz.

 

Next chapter: Chapter 4: A name's just a name 😉

21