Chapter 8: Visitors
468 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's about 2 am and I'm deep asleep, lying warm and comfortable in my bed. My tail is now my best buddy, it keeps me warm and it is great to cuddle with, too: the perfect plush toy. 

Then, out of nowhere a very, very loud sound disrupts my peace.."BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP." It relentlessly keeps repeating, hurting my ears. It's the alarm sound!

I'm already standing on my feet before I fully realize that I'm awake. 

"Maya!" Nyana is shouting my name, so she's also still half asleep. It takes her a few seconds to realize that I'm simply standing next to her, beside the bed.

"What is that dreadful sound, Maya?" She shouts while covering her ears. I have been covering them since the first beep, it's just too damn loud.

"It is an alarm! Something bad must have happened. Follow me!" I shout my reply.

We both quickly grab a coat and put on our shoes, then I motion her to follow me. 

"BEEP BEEP BEEP" It just won't stop. What the heck is going on?

But just before we leave the room, a guard approaches us. He's almost out of breath from running. 
It's Ben, the guard I met when Katie first showed me my apartment.

But before he can speak, the alarm sound changes. From an annoying loud "BEEP" to an even louder and more annoying slow "WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP" sound. This one also keeps repeating without end.

"You two! We are...pfff.... evacuating the building! Pfff...go...pfff....to the roof immediately!" 

"What happened?"  I asked, because I just need to know what's going on.

"Something came through the mirror, that's all we know. Now go up, there is no time!" 

The guard runs back to the hallway, probably to check on other people. 

Apparently my running speed is too slow for Nyana, she turns around and princess-carries me while I point where we must go. We must use the stairs as we aren't allowed to use the elevator in emergency situations.

I'm now sufficiently filled with adrenaline to think clearly while being carried. Within only a second or two, the following questions pop up in my mind:  "did I really act like a child before? What's happening to me? And what's happening now? I just want some peace and quiet!"
My attention is forced back to reality when Nyana makes a quick turn, making my feet brush against the wall.
"Ouch!"

"I'm sorry Maya, but it can't be that bad. Now where do we go?"

I point at the door leading to the stairwell.

Point of view from the parking deck, only a few minutes ago

It's in the middle of the night, and all is quiet on the parking deck. The mirror is safely stored in its crate, with multiple layers of insulation material around it. The fluorescent lights are still on, probably 24 hours a day. 

Ewan has ordered to augment the defenses with two genuine M1A1 Abrams tanks, more armed personnel, another machine gun, and even flamethrowers are available. A small barricade in close proximity to the mirror is set up to allow the personnel here at least some form of protection, should the need arise. 

Then, without any warning, a strange sound comes from within the crate, splintering the wood on one side and showing a bright light being emitted. Then, only a second later, someone activates the alarm.  "BEEP BEEP BEEP." 

The people on guard duty follow protocol and go into high alert.
The tanks' engines are now starting, emitting black clouds from their exhausts. There is a very noticeable diesel smell all over the place.

Only a moment later additional lights are turned on, each making a "POOF" sound when activated, then flooding the area with an abundance of light. The location changes from an ordinary parking deck at night to the equivalent of a cloudless summer's day. It's easily the most illuminated place in New York at the moment.

The sound of orders being shouted can now be heard echoing everywhere. This is bad. Really bad.  

Five large, dark, bear-like creatures are jumping through the mirror, landing on the parking deck, right in front of the mirror. They are taking a moment to scan the area, identifying what they are up against.

But one of the guards doesn't intend to give them the time and shouts "FIRE AT WILL."  He simply carries out Ewan's orders.

The closest machine gun targets the creatures who are now howling in pain. Three die nearly instantly, two are now on the move.

One tank and an armored car with a roof-mounted machine gun are in pursuit. 
The tank needs to be careful, it needs to avoid the parking deck's concrete support pillars and has to stop moving. The armored car activates its high beams in order to better follow the dark creature. The creature uses one of the support pillars and climbs towards the ceiling. This is the moment when the machine gun starts firing "VRRRRRRRRR."

"Howwwwwl!"  The creature is hit, it's not going anywhere ever again. The concrete pillar however, now resembles a swiss cheese, but so does the creature. 

Apparently nobody notices the fifth one slipping through the defenses...

From the barricade, soldiers can see more creatures approaching...ready to step through the mirror. Then the order is given to blow up the mirror at all costs. 

One soldier picks a flamethrower and keeps firing until all defenses are again facing the mirror. 
At least it prevents more creatures from stepping through alive. 
One of the creatures tried anyway, resulting in a sickening barbecue-kind of smell.

 "iiiiiiiiiiii!" It exclaims. Yep, it's not moving anymore.

When the flamethrower is running low on gas, another soldier throws a hand grenade through the mirror.
Let's just say that the other side was unpleasantly surprised with the effects. 

"All personnel! Initiate plan B!" 

All possible scenarios had already been discussed beforehand. These are trained soldiers, they know exactly what to do and how to coordinate their attacks with the others. 

Everyone without the protective hull of a tank or vehicle around them now clears the area. 

"FIRE STINGERS!" 

Then three stinger missiles are launched from about sixty feet away. The missiles lock on to the mirror and are  fired in intervals of five seconds. All three impact the mirror, shattering the crates and causing massive damage to the parking deck. But the mirror is still standing there. No scratches whatsoever. 
The image from the other side is also still clearly visible. More creatures are approaching, ready to step through. 

"FIRE MACHINE GUNS!"

Two machine guns are firing at the mirror, but only causing their ammunition to ricochet. The order is now given to switch to an EMP blast. 

One tank is fitted with an EMP device. It's already charged and will soon release a high electromagnetic charge at its target. EMPs are not common practice in the military...yet, but still....the prototypes are standing right here. The tank fires one blast at the mirror, causing the image to flicker for a second. 

"Continue alternating EMP and ABL!"

The EMPs are now being fired in ten second intervals, as the weapon consumes enormous amounts of energy...the weapon simply needs to recharge. While the EMP is charging, the ABL is deployed.
The ABL was originally intended as an Air-Borne-Laser, a high energy weapon, and also experimental.
It aims multiple highly focused laser beams at a single point on the target, causing massive heat to build up in a small area, thus increasing the odds of disabling or causing secondary explosions in targets. But will it work against an alien mirror? 

After several alternating blasts of EMPs and ABLs, the mirror no longer shows any image. The location where the ABL hits the mirror is heating up visibly. The mirror is now red-hot from the received heat. But it still won't surrender to the destructive force the humans are throwing at it. 

The order is then given to stop firing, and one tank, weighing about 62 metric tons, drives full speed ahead towards the mirror, attempting to crush it. 

When the tank is on top of the mirror, its surface suddenly shatters, malforming the edges. 
Then, suddenly, without any indication what would happen....the mirror casing shatters...and violently explodes. Several concrete support pillars close to the mirror's location are completely destroyed in the process. But the same applies to the tank....killing three brave men.

And now back to Maya's point of view

Just before reaching the stairs, we hear a loud explosion occurring far down below. The whole building trembles for a few seconds, making it feel like at least a magnitude 4 quake. What could possibly be going on down there?

Nyana is barely able to keep standing and leans against the wall, then she opens the door to the stairs and runs upwards, while carrying me towards the roof. What happened next is almost impossible and unimaginable, let alone something I could describe.

While standing in the stairway between two floors, with only a few more floors to go, we both hear a loud growl coming from far below. 
"Grrrrowwwwwwllll.  Shhhhhhhhh.  Shaaaaaaaa."

Then we hear loud and fast moving footsteps. They are coming closer and closer, becoming louder and louder. 
The emergency lights in the stairway continue to flash above us and Nyana decides to quickly release me, planting me firmly on the floor.  

"Oh goddess. Please no. Don't tell me that's what I think it is." Nyana said. She looks downwards and her worst fears are confirmed.

"Nooo!  Noooo!  Maya!  Run! It's a Vordaug!" She's entirely focused on the thing that's climbing up the stairs. I can clearly see it in her eyes, she's preparing for combat!

"Wha......"  But she interrupted me.

"No Maya! Go! Go! Go! Now Go!" She pushes me away towards the stairs.

But I can't leave her. Why aren't my feet moving?
Then I can see it. It's already here. There really was no time to flee in the first place. The creature stops while breathing heavily. It releases a loud "growwllll." 

The Vordaug now slowly approaches Nyana, stopping less than twenty feet away. 
It's a dark creature. It looks like a standing bear, but its head resembles a crocodile. And has the teeth to match it. It's salivating and seems to be analyzing if Nyana is a threat to it. It glances at me for a moment, then at Nyana again.

Nyana quickly turns her palms upwards and within a second...a blue ball-shaped flame appears in both her hands. She throws them at the creature.

"Krrrriiii" the creature screams while falling to its knees. Then it steps back and waits around the corner, the stairs which lead a floor down. It seems badly hurt, but I can see it preparing for a new attack. 

I feel so defenseless...I'm shaking on my feet. Every atom in my body is panicking, trembling in anticipation of what might come next.

Nyana then releases another attack of...of whatever she's using. And the Vordaug is hit between the eyes. 
"Kriiiii!!  Groowwwwllll."  Oh no...now it's really pissed. But I can see the scorch marks, it really is badly hurt.
It tries to stand up, but can't...its paws seem injured as well. Do we have a chance to survive this?

I don't know what's happening to me now. I suddenly feel weird.....a complete and utter anger towards the creature. The sounds around me vanish. My vision suddenly improves substantially...it seems like daylight to me now. 

"Maya, run! I can't continue fighting like this. We must go NOW!" 

But just before she can pick me up, because I won't stop staring at the wounded creature, I see it move again.
Its eyes are now focused on me. My instincts take over and do something which I wouldn't even consider for a second...

I maneuver around Nyana at an impossible speed. My claws extend and I feel my fangs extending as well. 
"Hissssss" my mouth makes a strange sound. Followed by a growl of my own  "grrrrrrrr  growwwll."

Nyana is nailed to the ground, she can't comprehend what just happened. She's afraid that I'm as good as dead. But it's too late, I'm in striking range of the Vordaug. I approach its neck and let my fangs sink in its thick hide, while my newly extended claws sink into other random parts I could reach. 

"Kriiiiiiii!"  It screeches so loud that my body decides to return the screech with a growl that would make a wolf run away in fear.

"Grrrrrrrr" I said while sinking my teeth further down in its neck, quickly shaking my head as if to tear its flesh away. 

Only seconds pass...but it feels like minutes to me. The creature falls to the floor, this time truly lifeless. 

"Maya! Stop! It's dead. Come back to your senses!"

I turn my head towards Nyana while still feeling the creature's flesh between my teeth, its vile blood oozing out. 

Nyana stepped back when she saw my glowing red eyes focussing on her.

I was about to growl at her, until the part of my brain that's less primitive, calls me back to reality.

I can think again.

My eyes stop glowing and I release the creature's neck, spitting out whatever is in my mouth. It tastes awful! But before I can wipe my mouth on my sleeve, I lose consciousness.

"Oh Maya. What did you do? At your age? Oh goddess...... we don't have the time!" 

"WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP" the evacuation alarm just keeps repeating.

Nyana then takes me in her arms again while keeping an eye on the dead creature. Making sure it's really, really dead. Then she runs all the way up to the roof where many more people have gathered. 
Most are taking shelter from the wind below the helipad platform.

The cold, fresh air wakes me up and memories slowly start coming back to me.
Where did all these people come from? Did they just use the elevator?

"Maya! What happened?" Katie shouts while running over to us. She seemed to be coordinating the evacuation. Helicopters are coming and going to evacuate all the staff. 

"She's fine Katie, really. I'll explain later. We both killed a monster back there." Nyana points back to the stairway by tilting her head and turning it left.

"You...you did? It's dead? Are you sure?" Katie looks pretty surprised at my clothes. She just keeps staring at the fresh blood stains. 

"Yes, it really is dead. But I don't know if there are any more..."

"Thank god, Nana. Only one escaped. If you are right, then we are safe now. Excuse me, I need to have it verified." 

Katie ordered an armed team to go back where we just came from, making sure that the creature is dead.

Only minutes later did she receive word that the creature really is dead.
We all took some breaths to calm down, while Katie informed Ewan on her radio. She then received the order to cancel the evacuation. 

Katie turns to the people on the roof, shouting, trying to overcome the loud noise of the helicopter that is currently landing. "People, people. Listen to me. The evacuation is canceled, repeat, evac is canceled. The situation is under control. Report here for a roll call."

She then approaches the helicopter's front side from a safe distance and makes an "X" with her arms, then points away from here. 

The pilot understands the signal:  "cancel evac and depart immediately." The pilot complies and the sound level on the roof quickly returns to the quiet you would expect around this time at night. 

Katie takes a deep breath, then checks her personnel lists, taking into account who had already been evacuated by helicopter and makes sure that everyone is accounted for.

After a few minutes Katie approaches us, who are still feeling the effects of adrenaline coursing through our veins. "Maya, Nana, report to the conf.room. Use the elevator. Ewan will see you there." 

We nod and Nyana then carries me back inside, using the elevator, following my directions to the meeting room. 

We find Ewan in the meeting room, still handling the aftermath of whatever happened here. I believe he has been here the whole time, making this some kind of crisis control room. 

He motions for us to sit down while he's still speaking to people in person and on the radio.

Nyana releases me and I run towards the windows. My hands are leaning against the cold glass while I take a closer look all the way down to ground level.

In the distance I see flashing blue lights approaching. Probably the police. Shouldn't they have already been here by now? I think I can see multiple fire trucks coming this way as well. They appear really tiny from this height, but I think they really are fire trucks.

"Finally! Things are under control now. Please, sit down ladies. Maya! What the he....heck happened to you?"  Ewan only now notices the abundance of blood on my clothes. 

"We were attacked by a Vordaug on the stairs." Nyana said. 

"You mean that hideous creature we saw lying dead there?" 

"Yes, I attacked it with my Fire, and then Maya went wild." Nyana looks at me, but I ignore her. I continue looking at the lights moving this way. 

Nyana then picks me up and puts me down in a chair, ignoring my complaints. 

"What do you mean, wild?" Ewan looks confused while Nyana is washing my face to get the creature's blood off of me.

"Mister Ewan, do you see her silvery-white colored hair, ears and tail?" Ewan nods. "That means that she has ancestral blood in her veins. Every few generations such an anomaly manifests in some families. When those people are in danger, the body uses a unique defense mechanism, but it temporarily shuts down the brain's higher functions. I couldn't keep her away from the creature, afraid she would attack me. Believe me Maya, you were pretty ferocious." 

"Sowwwie, Nyana."  I said meekly. Wait, why don't I speak like an adult anymore? Whatever happened, I'm still supposed to be an adult here. Even though my body sometimes seemingly forces some odd behavior onto me. I'm older than her, just not in appearance. Or is my mind really regressing bit by bit everyday? In any case, I shouldn't have attacked something nasty like that. Why did I even do it? 

"Maya, focus! Stay with us!" Nyana seems angry with me.

"What? What did I do?" I really don't understand. I'm just sitting here!

"Your eyes were glowing again for a second. Don't fall back to that state again. It takes time to master that technique. The fact that a young child attacked a Vordaug is unheard of."  

I swallowed some saliva that had built up in my mouth due to me thinking about the creature again.  
Why would my body even create unnecessary saliva? Should I have spat on it? Should I really have swallowed it just now?

"Maya! Focus!" 

"Ouch!" she flicks her index finger on my forehead. 

"Is she fine now?" Ewan asks while Katie enters the room. He glances at Katie, then looks at me again.

I look up at Nyana's face and see her smiling at me.
"She's all fine..now.. Just a bit shaken by the events. She's a tough one, trust me."

"Thank god," Katie said. "Ewan, all people except for three are accounted for."

"Copy that. That matches the security reports I received. One tank.....let's discuss that later, shall we?"

Katie nods and says "I saw the creature on the stairs when coming down here. Don't tell me there were more of those things?"

Ewan motions for her to sit down, then says "yes, we have security footage that confirms a total of five creatures coming through the mirror. Four of them were killed within the first minute, only one of them got away. The explosion you heard...signaled the end of the mirror."

Nobody speaks a word for a few moments, we only exchange glances.

Ewan then continues. "Our staff reported that more creatures could be seen on the other side, and by my orders, they fired everything they had on that thing. The mirror withstood a direct machine gun blast and a flamethrower attack. One of the guards threw a hand grenade through the portal, which gave us some time to activate the heavy equipment.
Within the next thirty seconds, three stingers were launched at the mirror, not scratching the damn thing a bit.
It took a focused EMP blast to disrupt the mirror's image for a moment, which seemed to make it vulnerable. 
Our experimental high energy beam then kept firing on that thing until it started to heat up visibly, glowing all red. It took some....special maneuvers to completely disable it." 

"I heard that the police and fire trucks have arrived here. And there are many spectators down there, let alone the worried civilians in this tower who felt the blast." Katie said.

"Yes, I know. Don't worry, it's under control. Our cover story is a gas explosion on the parking deck. So far people are buying it. We have no other choice than to cooperate with the emergency services. They are now temporarily stabilizing the building with emergency support beams in three locations. Our own engineers already informed us that there's zero risk for a building collapse. 
And because the entrance to the parking deck was blown away by the explosion, people could have a look inside. So far nobody has asked why a tank was sitting there, but we will cross that bridge when we get there."

Then Ewan turns to face me and Nyana. 
"I know you both wanted to go home, but believe me there was no choice." 

"I understand, mister Ewan. I know the Vordaug. Even though it pains my heart to tell you this, it was the right decision. They are absolutely terrifying and merciless creatures. But what are we supposed to do now?"

Nyana puts her arm around me.

Ewan leans back in his chair, the backrest moving back.

"Well....for starters....it's now...let's see...4 am, and I don't know about you two, but my adrenaline levels prevent me from sleeping now. How about an early breakfast?"

"I meant our future?" Nyana didn't understand Ewan's attempt to help us calm down.

"I know what you meant Nana. Let's recover from these events first. Then we can take some time to discuss your future with us. How about that?"

I'm nodding vigorously, as my tummy seems to be low on fuel again. "Grrowll." Is there perhaps a relation between hunger and my unintended infantile behavior?

"Ha ha ha." Everyone could finally release some tension due to my body's antics. 

"Come, let's get some early breakfast into your grumpy tummy," Katie said while smiling at me.


Only five minutes have passed and we are sitting in a corner of the restaurant that now doubles as an improvised mess hall. Everyone in this building seems to have had the same idea...having breakfast. Looks like the ATF feels responsible and invited civilians as well. This place is packed! Maybe they want to show them that we are just ordinary neighbors... 

I'm now standing on my toes, wearing white shoes with red blood stains, trying to see what I really want to eat. Waffles? Bacon and eggs again? What's that? Ohh..pancakes! There is only one thing missing...coffee!!!

Then Nyana bends down and lets one knee rest on the floor. "No, Maya, you can't eat that, you need something healthier. How many times do I need to remind you? And what IS that smell? <sniff>. That black stuff is definitely not good for you!  Here...and....here." 

She puts a cup of tea on a tray and then adds something dreadful on it. A salad! Are you bloody kidding me? I'm no rabbit! I look up at her with puppy eyes, but she seems immune to them. 

"No really, you can't eat that. Your mother would never forgive me! I know what your tummy needs. Please do what you always do and trust me!" Nyana really feels sorry for me, I can tell. 

Then a nasty headache visits me for a few seconds, pushing more memories into my tiny brain. Why does that happen in the first place?  I hate it!

I now remember eating this kind of food every morning, mostly with Nyana. She usually favors some kind of vegetable soup and tea. That's apparently also my favorite. The images are very clear..she's not lying to me.
I really seem to have eaten that stuff all the time. Let's not tell her that I ate french fries yesterday!

"Ahhhhhhh...Nana, let her have a waffle at least." Katie almost begged. I smile at her to thank my ally.

"No Katie. I'm not punishing her. She's only four and can't decide right from wrong yet. I really know what's best for her. We can't digest that stuff very well." 

Then she looks at Katie who was exchanging glances with me. 

"What did you do....Maya Kisune?!!" An upset voice said directly in my brain. It sounded almost like Nyana's.

"What??? Who was that?" I said out loud, looking around.

"Oh sorry little one. You are too young to use telepathy, but apparently you can still hear me. Anyway, did you eat something...less healthy earlier?"  Nyana asks while trying to get some stray hairs out of my face. 

I'm currently faking ignorance. So I really am only four years old, huh? I try to look my age...that's right...nothing going on here...just a harmless four year old...

"Oh no, Maya. I know you understood what I said. Don't try to fool me. What did you eat?"

"French fries....and a hamburger. Bacon and eggs..sandwiches...coffee." I was salivating when I said that last word.

"Oh goddess. For how long?"  

"A few days?"

"I see. Let's hope that you are more resilient with your ancestral blood, but from now on...please do as I ask, okay? I am not trying to punish you, I just know what is best for you."

"Yeeeees.....Nyana......" I said, sounding and looking really disappointed. Even more so when I again see the "food" on Nyana's tray.  

But before I can contemplate my coffee-less future, I'm tightly embraced by Nyana. She then whispers in my ear, "I'm so sorry Maya, but thank you for listening to me."

I look up, directly into her eyes and smile. "You always look after me, so it's okay. I trust you."

"Aww come here.." and Nyana gives me a kiss on the forehead, then again straightens my disheveled hair a bit more.  

Now that things are finally calming down, it finally dawns on me that I'm going to be stuck in this form for a loooong time. It might be my imagination, but I think I'm really starting to act my age. Was it the Watcher's doing? Must be. It's strange to have two sets of memories, new ones of "home" still popping up a few times a day. 

First I felt these strange memories entering my mind. Now I feel more and more that they are my real memories, and my memories as Robert are like a dream. Please don't misunderstand..I didn't lose any memories, but my new memories seem to be more..."real" somehow. Where will it end?

"Maya? Don't tell me you also mastered sleeping with your eyelids open?" Nyana said smiling, while I sat on a cushion sandwiched between her and Katie.

"Eh? Sorry? No, I was just thinking about what happened." I said.

"I know it was disturbing, especially when you are so young. It's best not to think about that sweetie. Or do you want to talk about it?"

She really seems to be concerned for my mental wellbeing. She didn't know that I was referring to my physical changes. Sure, being attacked by a monster was no fun. But somehow I'm not worried about that, maybe because I wasn't really in control...it happened automatically.

"No Nyana, I'm fine. I'm more worried about eating that stuff." 

"Don't be a baby, it's the same healthy food you are used to. Now come here." Nyana takes a fork, sticks it in the salad and fishes out a cucumber slice for me to eat.

Like...really? This early in the morning and the very first thing I get is a slice of cucumber? At least let me have some tea first!

"Oh no...don't feed me."

"You can't properly use the cutlery yet, so open up." 

"Nyana...nooo."  I feel really embarrassed. People around me are looking this way, obviously enjoying the recognizable antics of a young child being difficult at breakfast. They probably have kids too, the way they're smiling. But I don't care!

"Now, now, open wide!" 

"NO!" I pout. "I can do that myself!" I shake my head vigorously, making my stand here and now.

I see Katie whispering something in Nyana's ears. Both are smiling...an evil smile. This can't be good!

Seems that I wasn't prepared for this. Nyana turns my way and starts a tickle attack! First she blows gently in my ears which makes me shiver, giving me goosebumps. Then she tickles me below my armpits. 

"Ah ha ha.. Nyana! Nooo! Ahaa..."

She stops, but only for a moment. She's discussing strategies with Katie again. I can only pick up "what did you..."  and Katie replies with something like "...Kitty." What is that supposed to mean? Don't tell me they want to get Snowball?

I try to hide during the ceasefire, but she now suddenly tickles my tummy. 
"Ah ha ha. Stop it!"

"Are you going to listen to me? Will you be a good little Kitty?" 

"Ah ha ha. Nooo..never!  I'm no cat!"

Katie whispers something again..then....

"Eeek!" I shout. This time Nyana picks me up as if I didn't weigh even a pound and puts me on her lap, her arms tight around me. There's no escaping this...

Katie is within striking range and whispers something in my ear "C'mon little foxy woxy...Maya. Do us all a favor. I know you find this embarrassing, and your bodily changes are against your will, but you really are a four year old child now. There's no shame in being spoiled now and then." I look up into her eyes. She's practically begging.

Nyana then whispers to me in my other ear "if you promise to be nice and eat, I will give you something nice in return after breakfast. I forgot to give it to you yesterday." 

"Really? A surprise?" I said out loud. Oops, I should have whispered. And now I have done it, I look upwards again and see two ladies smiling in a presumed victory. Ah..whatever...I don't have a choice, do I? Maybe I should just enjoy this? A second chance at childhood? Might not be bad at all. Alright universe, you want me to be a four year old? So shall it be!

"Yes honey. Now open wide. Aaaaaaaahhhh." Nyana opens her mouth as well. Why? Whatever.

Here it goes. All the embarrassment...gone. I don't care anymore. I surrender to the universe and to the ladies who are enjoying this just a bit too much for my taste. I sigh, then open my mouth wide.

"Awww, that's a good girl!" Katie said, causing my face to turn red in embarrassment. 

"Here you go Maya." And Nyana puts a small load of fresh vegetables in my mouth. They were soft. Too soft. Yuck. That's no cucumber...it's a soft carrot. It made me shiver. Carrots should be fresh, cold and crunchy.

"Don't like it? Aww.. But well done." 

This continued for ten exhausting minutes while the salad slowly migrated from the plate to my tummy. 

"Well done Maya. That wasn't so bad now, was it?" 

Honestly, no. It somehow felt familiar, like this had happened every day for the previous four years of my life.
I think I can get used to this, not the being fed part, but still the experience isn't that bad. Who knows if my body really requires this kind of food. I don't want to throw up when I eat "normal" food. But coffee...that's going to be another story, I'm addicted to that!

"Maya, I asked you something. Are you sleepy?" Nyana gives me a motherly smile.

"Noo! I was just thinking about what you said. If this really is better for me, then I will eat this from now on."

"Awww, that's so sweet of you! Next time we will eat vegetable soup! I know they have it here as well, I know that's your favorite." 

I nodded, which earned me a little kiss on my right cheek. Nyanaaaa! Is she sure that she isn't my real mom?

The tea cooled down in the meantime, so it was easier to drink. I have to admit this really tastes like home.
Oh god, what's going on with me? Is this the real me? Was everything else a dream?
What about my mommy and daddy? They are worried about me! Why did I play with the portal back home?
No wait. That didn't happen! Or did it?

<Sniff>

"Maya, are you crying? Was it that bad?" Nyana seems really worried. She looks at Katie but only gets a shrug from her. Katie also had no idea what was going on.

I shake my head and for some reason say "mommy. daddy." A few tears are rolling down my cheeks.

Nyana then turns me around on her lap, so she can look me in the eyes. Then she keeps one arm safe around me, while her other arm massages my back.
"Oh sweetie, I know." She then gently pushes my head against her shoulder. "Just cry my little one. I am here for you. And you have other friends here too, remember?"

She could feel that I nodded against her shoulder.

"We can't go home now. Maybe we will find another way, okay?"

My answer was more sobbing, but only for a few more minutes. 

"Feel better now?" Nyana said.

I looked up at her and nodded. She dried my eyes with a tissue and said "I promise I will do anything I can to get us both home. But for now, let's make the best of things together, alright?"

I nod and smile again. 

"Ah, that's my girl. Are you ready for your little present?"

Ah, I forgot! My reward! I nod. She puts me back on my own chair. I then follow her hands down to a bag between the chairs. 

And then, before I can see what it is, she pushes something against my tummy. I look down and get that annoying headache again. But only for a split second. I know what this is!

"Aika!" I shouted.

"Yes sweetie, I brought Aika with me!"

Aika is my plushie. How could I have forgotten? She's my everything! Wherever I go, she always follows.
Aika looks more like a fox than I do. Completely white and furry, including a very cuddly tail!
I take Aika in my small hands and then cuddle her in my arms like Nyana cuddled me only minutes earlier.

"Awww.." Katie said in a low tone of voice. But I heard her and our eyes met.
She winks and brushes my cheeks with the backside of her hand. "Maya, may I ask you something?"

"Yes Katie." I said meekly.

"Do you remember when I told you about my little Allie?"

I thought about that for a moment, then remembered. She was three years old, right?

"Yes, I remember. Why?"

"Well...I want to go shopping with Nana and was hoping you two could come along and perhaps play together for a while. You are only a bit older than she is."

I look up at Nyana who nods and smiles. She's probably happy to get some fresh air too.

"Okaaay. But what about our ears?"

"Well....we have something for that. But it's still very early, Allie's still asleep at home. But I will bring her in a few hours. Maybe you and Nana can have a shower first. And believe me, that's not a suggestion. You both need it."

I look at my clothes and see some red stains here and there. Yuck. Dried monster blood. I completely forgot.

"Okay. But what about clothes?"

"Well...we still have some kimonos, they shout fit Nana. And I will bring something along for you. 
By the time you are ready to get dressed, I promise that you have some clothes. We can find something better later, okay?"

I nodded.

"Nana," Katie said, "I just remember. What did you say about that fire you used?"

"Yeah, real foxfire!" Oops, I spoke without thinking.

"What? No Maya. That's our body's natural defense. It's called Fire, or Soulflare. We can use it six times in a row at the very maximum. More and we will lose consciousness. We were lucky that all my attempts really hit the Vordaug. And Maya's assistance finished the creature off. I don't think we would be sitting here otherwise."

"Let's talk about this later, Nana. I think Maya needs to be cuddled again." Katie said.

"No, I'm fine, really." I said. "Katie...?"

"Yes, honey?"

I smiled. She really treats me like a little girl. "Am I still with the ATF?"

"What's that?" Nyana said, looking very confused.

"Oh that's my employer. Don't think about that Maya. When we need you, we will ask you for help. Otherwise...just enjoy your time here with us, together with Nana."

"Okaaay." Oh god. I sound like a little one too. Well, I am one now. Don't think about this Maya!

Nobody noticed my legs dangling...

"Nana, could you maybe tell us something about your home?" Katie asked, while resting her arm on the table, then letting her chin rest on her hand.

"Well, maybe you can even see it for yourself one day. Our world is technologically more advanced, but I think both your and our customs are quite similar. We Enkirians do have much more nature around us, because we love the green of nature." 

"I see. But we humans also love the green around us. Well, most of us do. But you are now in one of our largest cities, so please don't think that the whole planet looks like this."

"Ahh, good to know. That's what I assumed. Anyway, Maya's parents own a tavern with about ten guest rooms. It's actually more of a hotel than a tavern, but tavern sounds more relaxing than hotel. There are employees who take care of everything from food preparation to room cleaning. Ah, it's difficult to describe, you really should go there once. I promise you will like it." 

"I think I can imagine the place pretty well. We have many stories of cozy taverns where people try to preserve the old ways while still applying modern comforts."

"Yes exactly! That's exactly what I meant! Maybe....Katie. Would you like to try an experiment?"

"Eh...is it dangerous?" Katie crosses her arms.

"I don't believe so. I would like to see if you are telepathic. I could send you my memories, and perhaps you can see them?" 

"Would it hurt?"

"No....well only if your race can't use telepathy at all. It might give you a mild headache for a few seconds. I promise it's really harmless." 

"Alright then. But please try to limit the experience."

"Okay. Close your eyes and relax. Good. Now I'll try."

"Oh my god! Yes I see it! Your tavern! It's...like I have been there before! How it smells. Wait..who is Riharu? And why the sad feeling?"

"Eh...that's embarrassing. I didn't want to send that.. He's my....destined one. We will bond...or we would bond soon if we were together."

"Awww...I understand. Sorry Nana, I didn't mean to pry."

"No no, it's my fault for sending those feelings. Maybe you can try sending something back to me?"

 

I was watching their discussion like one would follow a tennis match. My neck is going to hurt if I continue like this. Left, right, left, right. But before I could say anything, Nyana replied.

"What? Why would we have more than one tail? Is that your sense of humor on this planet? No, we only have one tail. And we are proud of it too!" Nyana looked very amused, but Katie seemed to be embarrassed.

"Eh, so you got the message. Wow. So humans are telepathic, but we somehow can't exchange messages with others of our race. How strange."

"No, that's not strange. You forget that I have used this ability since I was...about Maya's age I guess. It comes naturally to our people. So sending and receiving is easy for us. I think you people just need to practice."

Katie then looks at me and grins.

"What? What did I do?" I said in total confusion, holding my plushie close to my heart.

"She can't receive you yet, Katie. You only transmit on a basic level. I however can send at higher force. Right, Maya?"

"Heeeey! That's not nice! You need a shower too, you know!" I pouted. She showed me an image of myself with dried blood on my clothes and some vegetable remains in the corner of my mouth. I instinctively wiped it clean on my clothes, but...those were even worse. Yuck!  

"Ha ha ha. See? She can receive it perfectly. Katie, please excuse us if you will. We desperately need to bathe."

"Sure, Maya here knows the way, don't you? My little foxy woxy..."

Oh now she's teasing me. There are limits, you know?! I give her my signature death glare, but to her it probably only looks cute. Okay....I get it....I know when to surrender.

"Yes Katie..." was all I could say. 

 

After Nyana noticed that she hadn't touched her breakfast yet, she apologized to Katie and devoured it quickly. So my favorite food is considered unhealthy, but you can just swallow things without even chewing properly? 
She chooses to ignore my bewildered look and washes everything away with tea.

How is that even supposed to be healthy? It just doesn't make sense to me....but many things don't anymore, so it's probably best to just not think about it.

Katie seems to understand what I'm thinking about and just smiles. She shakes her head just enough to indicate that I shouldn't say anything about it.

"Katie...I thought Ewan would join us for breakfast?" I look her into the eyes. Perhaps it took awhile for the food to arrive in my brain, but I only now noticed Ewan's absence.

She has that "oh my god, I'm sooo in trouble" expression going on. "Oops, we were supposed to wait for Ewan!" She grimaces.

But only Nyana notices the arrival of a person, now standing behind Katie. Katie follows Nyana's line of sight and turns around.

"It's about time you noticed, major."  It's Ewan, and he's grinning evilly.

"Sir, I don't know what..." Katie is really worried.

Nyana suddenly realizes how rude this must seem to Ewan, who just offered to take us in as guests.

"Mister Ewan, I..."  She bows deeply to Ewan.

But he's not someone to hold a grudge. "Don't worry ladies, it's fine. Something came up or I would have joined you earlier."

I tried to salvage the situation a bit. "Ewan....may we please be excused? We need to bathe."

Ewan agrees of course and we leave Katie and Ewan behind. Katie doesn't seem really comfortable, but it was HER "suggestion" that we needed to bathe urgently in the first place, so I can't help it.

The moment we leave the restaurant, Nyana says "well done. You are so polite for your age. Now tell me, what happened to the shy Maya I used to know, mmmm?" 

I swallowed......ooohhhh boy..

I was able to evade her question by pretending that her question was a compliment. 
"thank you Nyana." I said. But I don't dare look her into the eyes. I stealthily switch topics and add "ah, we need to turn left here." Mission complete, problem skillfully avoided...

 

Next chapter: Chapter 9: Caught  😚

17