Chapter 12: Going South
399 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"..ya...aya...Maaaaya! Now wake up already!"

"Mommy, no.... let me sleep." I nuzzle my pillow and pull the blanket closer to my ears, but it's not protecting me from the unwelcome sound at all.

"Ah Maya, c'mon, wake up already. Don't you remember we need to leave early?"

My brain finally decides to wake up and I see that it's still very, very early. The windows are not in their dark-mode, so I can see the sky. But it's a dark, starry sky. That must mean it's a really cold...night.

I focus my still sleepy eyes at the analogue clock on the wall near the bedroom door. The only light at the moment comes from a small bedside lamp. I may not be able to read the digits anymore, but I still know how the clock works...it's 04.10 am. 

"But..but it's still night!" I give Nyana my super sad look.

"I know, just help me out here. You can sleep later today, I promise."

I don't agree to anything, but I still manage to sit up straight in bed, cleaning the leftovers from Mr Sandman's magic sleeping dust. Then I shudder and get goosebumps, for the room is way colder than my comfy warm bed.

Nyana notices it and shakes her head. "Come here, Maya." And without any warning she picks me up and moves me over to the bathroom. She undresses me faster than ever and puts me in a hot bath she must have prepared while I was still sleeping.

"Eek!" I'm instantly fully awake. AGAIN? A bath AGAIN? My fluffy tail slowly starts resembling a wet towel again and I have water in my ears. Nyana is in turbo-mode, this is definitely not a relaxing bath!

"Yes I know. Just help me out Maya. We need to hurry. Who knows when we can bathe again."

The warm water actually did help against my goosebumps and I think I'm finally relaxing.

"There, that wasn't so bad, was it? I already bathed earlier, while you were still sleeping. We need to leave soon, so arms up..."

And she dried me off in a not so comfortable way, but it didn't really hurt either. Should I tell her about the hair dryer that lies untouched on a shelf?

"Nyana, can we use that thing over there to dry my tail? It's much faster than using a towel."

She looks surprised and nods. 

Of course I need her help because I can't reach the damn thing. I told her how to operate it and within three minutes, my tail was dry. A bit too warm in some places, but nothing to worry about. Did it just smell like something burned? Nah, that's just my imagination.

"You could have told me earlier, you know?" Nyana rolls her eyes while shaking her head. 

"Sowwwieee." 

"That's your answer to everything isn't it?" She then helps me get dressed. 

"Nyana, I need to pee."

Well...let's just say that my statement triggered another of Nyana's sighs.

Both of us are now wearing something suitable for the cold environment we are going to experience.
Either by chance or by choice, we are both wearing similar looking warm dark blue pants with proper tail support. I just wonder if she expects us to walk in freezing temperatures with our tails unprotected? Maybe our tails can handle that? I decided to let her worry about that.

Nyana is wearing a white, fluffy sweater, making her almost look like a sheep which is about to be sheared. 
My sweater is a turquoise one, not as fluffy, but definitely warm.
Katie must have been in mommy-mode when she bought it, as my sweater is more suited to Allie than to me. It has a cat of all creatures on it, and even some paw prints here and there. Too bad I can't read English anymore, my necklace only translates spoken words. It probably reads something silly like "happy little kitten" in that girly font. I know she really helps us with these clothes and all...but something more plain would be much better. Whatever, it's warm, that's all that counts, right? 

Nyana and I walk towards the restaurant, while she carries a large travel bag. I only have to carry Aika in my backpack, because she would feel lonely without me for so long. 

I follow Nyana into the restaurant and I already see Katie and Ewan sitting in the corner, keeping chairs reserved for us. I run towards them, leaving Nyana behind me and embrace Katie. Lucky for me she noticed the incoming projectile and was able to intercept me. 

"Ooof. Maya, good morning to you too. Look at you, little kitten, soo cute." She hugs me tightly for a moment, making my tail sway energetically, then releases me.

Ewan smiles, mostly about Katie's motherly response, I think. Then he says "aren't you going to greet me, Maya?"

"Oof..good morning." 

"Morning!" I said in a cheerful way, while hugging Ewan until he patted my head, causing my ears to twitch. 

"Good morning," Nyana said, while picking me up and helping me sit on the chair.

"Morning Nana, did you sleep well?" Katie asked.

"Yes, but not enough as I had hoped due to SOME reason," Nyana glanced at me.  

"Ha ha ha, just kidding Maya, don't give me that face. Let me get something to eat for us."

My face must have expressed my true feelings: total and utter confusion. What did I do wrong this time?

Oh god, what I wouldn't give for a cup of coffee now. I stare at Ewan's cup, while Nyana leaves us to get our breakfast.

"Maya, don't stare a hole in my cup. Aaaah....could it be....you want a sip?" Ewan said with a large grin.

I nodded vigorously at Ewan, my eyes grew wide in anticipation. 

"Do you, now? Quickly, take a sip before she returns. It'l be our secret!"

I turn my head and see Nyana still far away and then take his cup in my two hands. I take a rather generous sip, then return the cup to him. The taste of the divine liquid, humanity's best invention ever, activated every neuron in my young brain. I close my eyes with a huge smile on my lips, when I feel the hot liquid slowly making its way downwards to my tummy. 

"That good huh?" Ewan jokes.

I nodded with a smile. "Thank you uncle Ewan."  Wait...what? Where did the "uncle" part come from?

Katie and Ewan exchanged amused glances and Ewan decided to drop the matter.
"Anytime, little one." He smiled. Then his eyes focused on something above me...something behind me.

"Did I miss something?" Nyana asked no one in particular.

"No, she called him uncle Ewan." Katie said while barely suppressing a chuckle.
She winked at me to indicate that she was covering for me. I returned the wink and included a smile too.

"That's the Maya I know. Before she left our home, she called all our neighbors an uncle or aunt. It must be a phase she's going through, but I'm still happy that she's returning to her true self." She kissed me on the forehead, after which she sat down next to me.

Oh god, now I feel guilty for the unauthorized drinking of coffee.

I then listen to the adults discussing the travel plans. We will drive to the airport, then fly all the way to Australia. We will pick up gear from the ATF office there. Then, after a brief stay, we will fly to Antarctica with a much smaller military plane, which can land on the rough ice-airstrip at Zucchelli Station.

Then we will use a snow vehicle with tracks, resembling a tank, to travel about 85 miles west towards the location where the signal was detected. Military personnel will already be on-site there to help us unpack and prepare to enter the man-made passage down. Apparently they have been digging a crude road downwards. We don't have to walk there, but we are supposed to use snow mobiles. But it's only a one-mile drive to the guardian or whatever it is.

Nyana was feeding me before I even noticed. This really is beginning to feel "normal." When can I finally put food in my own mouth again?

After finishing my vegetable soup and tea, my tummy started to make some noises. Only a big growl made Nyana stop her discussion with the others and focus on me. 

"Maya, are you alright?" She noticed that I was grimacing.

"My tummy hurts."

"Oh nooooo. We can't have that now. We need to go in half an hour already. Oh? Ohhh...be honest little one.. did you eat something you shouldn't have?" 

I look at Katie for help, but she in turn looks at Ewan for help.

"I...I may have let her drink a bit from my coffee. Is it really that bad for your people?"

"Yes, our noses usually are very strict when deciding what we can and can't eat. But Maya here is too young to understand that, isn't she?"  

I nodded.

"So you only had a bit?" Nyana asked me. I think she really feels sorry for me.

"Yeah. One big sip only."

"Oh Maya. Maybe you have learned your lesson now. Let's hope that the tea and soup mix with that stuff soon."

And lucky for me, it did. I felt better only minutes later.
Great..no more coffee for me. But why could I enjoy the food before and now I'm sentenced to eat this....stuff?
Then it dawned on me, the Watcher told me that they recreated my body...maybe my prior body was immune to coffee? Or maybe I just need to grow up first?

"Don't look so sad Maya, think about the adventure that awaits us!" Ewan said. Trying to get the blame off of him.

"I feel better already. U....Ewan." I almost said uncle again. 

Only half an hour later and we were already driving to the airport. An Air Force plane took us aboard, probably the safest way to transport two tailed people without getting too many questions. 

Flying to Australia is rather uneventful so far, boring even. But at least I have a window seat!
We have our own private little section onboard, probably intended for VIPs. 

I spent most of the time daydreaming about home and taking a nap whenever I could.
Things started feeling somewhat awkward when Nyana started singing nursery rhymes...a request from Katie. It somehow feels a bit embarrassing...and they make me feel sleepy.

Nyana was proud and not amused at the same time, when I was able to create a small blue fox fire orb in my left hand. She extinguished it within seconds, making sure that nobody noticed. The only ones who noticed were, of course, uncle Ewan and auntie Katie. 

"That really looked like foxfire, Maya. Could it really be that your people visited our planet in the past?" Katie was thrilled to see magic from fairy tales unfold before her own eyes.

I shrugged, I was too excited to have succeeded in creating my own foxfire. I tried again, but that earned me a death glare from Nyana.

"Now stop it! It's dangerous, you can't control it yet!" She told me.

"Sowwiee." I said, really intending to give up.

"That reply won't help you out forever, you know?" Ewan said. "It really is dangerous to play with fire, let alone in an airplane."

"I won't do....it......again."  I felt so tired suddenly that I fell asleep.

 

 

When I woke up, Nyana told me that I had slept because I used foxfire. Well, I call it foxfire though. It apparently drains one's energy, and should only be used carefully. Then she said that we would almost be arriving in Astraia. I guess she meant Australia. Wait, how long did I even sleep this time?

After another fifteen minutes, we landed and were then escorted into a quite spacious ATF vehicle.

We were only carrying travel bags, so we didn't need to wait for the plane to unload its cargo hold.

Ewan asked us if we wanted to rest for a day after traveling this far. The two adult ladies told him that they would be happy to take a shower and then just move on. All of us had slept on the plane, so we had no sleep to catch up to.

The ATF personnel had already arranged all equipment and clothing for our trip to be brought here, so all Ewan needed to do was rent a hotel room for a day, just for us girls to take turns in the shower. Nobody blamed Ewan when he decided to also take a quick shower while he still could. I doubt that there are showers at the mission location.

 

 

Many more hours have passed and we have arrived at the Zucchelli Station in Antarctica. The plane's cargo consists of supplies for the scientists here, who are depending on these flights as a lifeline. 

Without any delay, we boarded the tank-like snow vehicle while wrapped in warm, furry coats. My god, how cold it is here! At least the cabin is heated.
Katie suggested that we bind our tails to our backs so we wouldn't lose any precious heat, and we were indeed wise to follow her suggestion. As an additional bonus, nobody could possibly tell us apart from other humans anymore. 

When I look outside the vehicle's windows, I can clearly see an enormous colony of penguins. Those poor creatures don't have a coat, but they don't complain as we do. But then again, this is home for them, right? 

The vehicle shakes and trembles in all directions, almost making me seasick. Up and down, left and right, just like a rollercoaster. 

"How much farther do we have to go?" I asked.

"We still have about fifty miles to go. Better sit back and enjoy the ride, there's no going back now." Ewan said.

Oh god, we aren't even half-way yet?

Boooring! There is nothing to do, nothing to see but ice all around us.
So, fifteen minutes later:  "are we there yet?" I asked. Surely, we must be by now.

Ewan spoke to the driver and then nodded. 
"Hey, girls." Ewan said with sparkling eyes and a mischievous grin. 

"Ewan..." Katie sensed something sinister in his voice.

"We can go faster if you promise not to scream!"

Katie already knew I was bored as hell and Nyana looked as if she were afraid to die in this thing.
"Do it!" she said.

The driver nods and pushes the snow vehicle's engine to the maximum setting. A rollercoaster seems like a stroll in the park now! 

Nyana is screaming "ahh!!" afraid for her life, clinging onto me, trying to protect me from the strange ride. 
I, however, am laughing out loud, enjoying my rollercoaster ride in the Antarctic. "Ha ha ha. Yippieeee!!"

Katie and Ewan seem to be used to these kinds of things, both carrying a big smile. 

"Ewan!" I shouted, as I needed to overcome the loud noise of the engine.

"What?" He shouted to me.

"I think you just got a ticket for speeding!" I pointed at another snow vehicle. But those people are scientists doing their thing. One of them carried equipment that made him look like a police officer who is using a laser to check for speeding cars.

"Ah ha ha. You betcha we're speeding!" Ewan said, obviously in a good mood. 
It still took us about forty-five minutes to arrive at the mission site. 
Ewan told us to get out of the vehicle and run into the temporary building they put here so everyone can shelter from the wind and the cold.

Nyana picked me up like a bag and carried her other bag at the same time. Everyone ran towards the entrance and we were still laughing once we got inside. 

"Wow..that was quite the ride." Katie said, still smiling. 

"Yes, just like Disneyland, but more intense and more fun." Ewan replied.

"You...you call that fun? I was terrified! What about you?" Nyana said.

"Fun!" Was the only thing I said. So it's three against one...

When we finally realized that we were standing in a military building, everyone suddenly switched to serious-mode again. Including me, although nobody expects me to. 

"Major, we are the ATF-unit for the contact mission." Ewan said to the major who appears to be in charge here. He showed his ID, as did Katie. 

"Yes sir, ma'am. Are these two your mission...specialists?" He especially looked at me. Yeah, I know, I'm a kid.

"Yes they are. Don't judge her by her size, major." Ewan looks my way.

"Yes sir. Please follow me." 

The major then guides us to the tunnel entrance they created while searching for the strange signal. 
Lucky for us we are shielded from the wind here, but it's still very, very cold.

Four snowmobiles are standing ready for us, to start the approximately one mile descent to where the guardian is supposed to be. 

"Uh uh. No way. Maya is staying with me." Nyana was adamant that I didn't hold on to another person, no, I was to remain with her.

"Well...I do think she's small enough to fit between the driver and Nana, so I don't see any issues." Katie said.

"Yes ma'am." The major replies. He's going to be our driver.

Katie and Ewan each take a seat on their respective snowmobiles, right behind their drivers. 
I sit sandwiched between the major and Nyana on a third snowmobile. The engines start, making a lot of noise. Too much for my sensitive ears, but it's only for a mile, so I should be able to endure for a few minutes.

The snowmobiles then move forward and suddenly we go down a steep slope, like a sled on a snowy hill, but much, much faster. If this wasn't in a remote location, I would recommend it to anyone looking for an amazing adrenaline rush.

After only a few minutes, the snowmobiles slow down and turn around, then stop their engines.
We all get off and gather near Ewan, waiting for further instructions. 

"This is the place sir, ma'am. I am under orders to leave you on your own now. Should you need any assistance, just use the radio and we will be here in a minute to provide backup."

"Thank you, major, but we will proceed carefully. See you later." Ewan said.

The major nodded and the snow mobiles left us alone after they created too much noise again.

This place is covered by ice. Ice on the left, on the right, on the ceiling, and we're walking on ice. That explains the freezing temperature here. Artificial lights help us to see what lies ahead.

We follow Ewan around the corner and...are stunned.

In front of us is a huge building, a mile beneath the Antarctic ice. It seems ancient, dark walls go on to the left and right until they vanish into more ice. But directly ahead is what seems to be an entrance, a door of truly epic proportions. What are they for? Did they bring giants here?

"Wait here. Apparently the guardian appears when one approaches the door." Ewan said. 

"Ewan, please take my translator. The guardian won't understand your language." Nyana said.

"Good idea. So, I just put it around my neck?"

"Yes, it should work."

We then all did as Ewan ordered, waiting here, watching him slowly approach the huge door. All by himself.

And just before Ewan approached the door, a transparent guardian appeared. He didn't scare us, because he slowly materialized out of thin air, allowing us to prepare for what was coming. Thoughtful of the people who built the place, right? He looks similar to the previous guardian. Same white ears and tail, but the image quality seems less, like watching an old movie instead of a more recent one.

A deep male voice greeted Ewan. A voice that reverberated due to the ice surrounding us.

"Greetings. I.....am ....guardian 21683 of Atlatea colony. State your reason for waking me from my slumber."

"Greetings to you too, guardian. We are here with peaceful intentions. We are asking you to allow us passage."

"Impressive. You understand my language, unlike the ones from earlier. Stand still while I scan what you are. You shall not be harmed," the guardian said.

Ewan waited patiently until two red and wide scanning beams scanned him from top to toe and back.

"Yet you are not of my people. I cannot allow you passage." the guardian said.

"Then allow me to introduce someone who is of your people."

"I will allow it." 

Katie, Nyana and I approach the guardian.
Ewan wants to return the necklace to her, so she can try speaking with the guardian. But Nyana gestures to wait. 

"Honored guardian. I am of the Enkirians. Would you allow us passage?"

The guardian scanned Nyana and suddenly also Katie and me. 

"Greetings. You indeed seem to be Enkirian in appearance, but different in blood. Your tail and ears were hidden from sight. But still you cannot enter. However, the young one behind you is of our race. She may enter. You may follow her if she allows it. Young one, do you allow those people to follow you inside?"

Nyana then pushes me forward and nods. Apparently Nyana and I can understand the guardian without the necklace, but there is no need for me to take it off.

"Ehh...yes..guardian. They are my friends."

"Then they are allowed to enter."  A smaller door to the right of the huge door opened, inviting us inside.

The guardian then continued. "Beware that the city has been asleep for many, many years. No life has been detected inside for even more years. Paths might be blocked. Is there a particular location you would want to visit?"

"Yes, there is a signal coming from inside. We want to investigate if there is a message for us. 
Perhaps there is a working portal inside. A portal we can use to contact the people who once lived here." Ewan said.

"I see. A noble quest. Although my scan shows that no portal is working anymore, one single transceiver assembly is still operational. Follow the lights inside, they shall guide you. The place of the signal as you call it and the place to send a message are the same. Call me if you need any assistance."  
Then the guardian faded back into nothingness. That guardian is creepy! Maybe this one is an earlier version of the guardians?

Ewan returns the necklace to Nyana, who puts it around her neck again.

We follow Ewan inside the building, the door behind us stays open, luckily.
Then slowly...very slowly, lights are activating where we walk, illuminating the path directly ahead of us.
Once we progress a short distance, a new light activates ahead of us, but the lights on our back deactivate again. Every time a light activates or deactivates, it hums and flickers for a second.

There seems to be no energy remaining to heat the place, because it's freezing here.

"Nana, do you recognize any of this?" Ewan asked. 

"Well...it looks like an ancient city. I don't mean the state of things, but the design. Our ancestors used this kind of design more than a thousand years ago. So it might be a lost colony or research facility. I honestly have no idea. This part appears to be a marketplace or some kind of common area."

"But the name Atlatea...don't you think it sounds quite similar to Atlantis?" Katie said while looking at Ewan.

"It's dangerous to assume anything, but yes, it sounds remarkably similar. And don't forget that their language seems to be related to ancient Japanese. What other connections might there be?" Ewan replied.

On our left and right we can barely see shadows of what seem to be ancient gardens, buildings, equipment. Everything is either dead or damaged. What happened here? Did they fight inside? Or is it just the effect of time passing for who knows how long? Why is there no ice here? Did they build this city in a protective dome?

Sometimes we need to duck below pipes, other times we need to move around objects in order to continue following the path. The lights keep guiding us.

After walking for twenty minutes and seeing one damaged building after the other, we see a building with lights activated on the inside. This must be it!

When we finally enter the building, being careful not to fall over any debris, we enter a large room.
There are no doors anymore, or there never were. But for some reason there are little white lights blinking everywhere around us.

"I...I know this!" Nyana said. "This is one of the old communication arrays! They used them in colonies, long, long ago. It still looks operational."

"Well, most of what we have seen so far is pretty much useless. Maybe we can still salvage some tech like this. Can you see if you can get it to work?" Ewan already sees opportunities where I can only see scrap metal.

Nyana nods and starts pushing a few buttons. "Oh goddess, this design is soo primitive!"

Then more lights activated.

"Yes, I have it! It works." Nyana is trying to determine what buttons to use, then identifies one blinking light. 
"Ewan, this is it. It says it's sending a distress call."  

"Interesting. But it won't be very effective, it barely registered on our own satellites, let alone reach wherever your people live." Ewan said.

Nyana nods, but is already looking for a way to communicate with home. 

"Computer, interface with the Enkirian central computer."

"Working....interface established," a bodiless young female voice told us.

"Open a channel to the Kisune tavern, northern continent, city of Midarial." Nyana said.

"Accessing directory....entry found. Warning, energy levels are low. The channel remains open for a maximum of 7.3 cycles after the beep. BEEP.  Please wait, obsolete communication protocols found. Correcting....installing 1,543,126 updates. 10%......30%.....60%...90%...91%.."

"Are you kidding me? You have that too?" Katie sounds very frustrated. And it is, of course, because the timing sucks.

Nyana shrugs and continues to focus on the terminals and buttons. 

"92%...93%......100%...Channel is now open."  

Within a few seconds, a lady dressed in a maid's or servant's uniform appeared on a screen.

"Nana! ....What..."

"Hana, there's no time! Call the lord or lady immediately! Maya is here!"

"Yes, at once!" Hana bows for a second and then runs away, after which the screen is replaced by a logo.

"Did..did she really put us on hold there?" Katie said.

"Eh he he. Yeah, Hana can be quite a.." Nyana replied, but before she continued, someone familiar appeared on the screen.

"Mommy!!"  I shouted the instant I saw her.

Mommy immediately looks down at me and says "Maya! Finally! Are you okay? Where are you?"

Too many questions. No time. So Nyana took over from me.

"My lady, we only have power for two cycles remaining. Can you please send a craft here? We have no way to get home."

"What? Wha...yes of course! Let's see..you're calling from....WHAT? The colony of Atlatea? Where is that even? Oh goddess, where are you? Maya!" Mommy is obviously panicking. There's not much time left.

"Guardian! Where is this planet relative to Enkiria?" Did I really say that? It felt as if someone pushed my buttons...
Nobody noticed a person hiding in the dark between the buildings, smiling without the face to show it....the Watcher. Nobody heard him say "we can't have you fail now, now can we?"

"Sending coordinates now," the guardian we met earlier said, without showing his body.

"Got it! I have the coordinates, Nana!  Maya, sweetie! We will be there in two hours! Hold on! Just be.." and the signal was cut off.
A loud sound of a generator powering down can be heard around us.
The lights stop blinking in the room and the lights that helped us get here also stop working.
It's now dark...like...really, really dark.

"Nyana...I'm scared!"  Well, I really am scared!

"Everyone come here," Ewan activated his flashlight. "Don't be afraid, I can radio our people to extract us, but without the lights guiding them, it will take them a long time to find us. 
Your parents might be here sooner, Maya. They should have the exact coordinates. However, if we don't get out of here in four hours, I will ask for an extraction. Katie, help me set up the tent, that should keep us warm long enough." 

The tent was set up within ten minutes, taking this long due to the darkness. We all entered the tent and Ewan zipped it shut. The temperature rose almost immediately from our own body heat.

Ewan then uses his radio and says "Colonel Smith to extraction team."

"kchhhhhh. Extraction kchhhh sir. We're barely receiving you."

"Made contact. Repeat. Made contact. Request extraction in four hours. Not sooner. Repeat. Request extraction in four hours. Not sooner."

"kchhhh. copy that. kchhhhh in four hours not sooner."

"Expect incoming friendly craft. Hold fire. Repeat. Expect incoming friendly craft. Hold fire."

"kchhhh. copy that. friendly....kchhhh. holding fire sir. Repeat. Expecting friendly craft."

"Smith out."

That was a good idea, who knows what would happen if they start shooting at my parents!

After an hour of waiting I became bored and Nyana pulled my head against her shoulders.

"Take a nap Maya, I promise to wake you when they arrive."

I didn't reply because I already fell asleep that quickly. Maybe that was Aika's fault, but I felt warm and safe. Also knowing that mommy and daddy were finally on their way, helped me relax. All the time I was sleeping, Nyana was gently brushing my hair with her hand. Reports of me occasionally purring are greatly exaggerated. 

Meanwhile, on the surface

The sun is already low on the horizon, signaling the arrival of evening. Some of the brightest stars are already visible. Then, another star becomes visible. It's shining brighter and brighter, growing in size too. No..it's not a star, it's a craft of some sorts. It's now descending straight from the heavens, slowly touching down on the thick Antarctic ice.

Two beings can be seen rushing out of the craft, both wearing a red suit. It resembles the classic space suit from the 1950s movies. A large, round and white helmet with a blue visor emphasizes that these two are no humans. They seem to know a faster way into the structure below the ice, because they run in the direction opposite to where the humans have built their entrance.  

 

Back under the ice

We are waiting in the tent for something to happen, what else can we do in complete darkness?

I, however, am still asleep, resting against Nyana.

Suddenly, completely out of the blue..."CRASH"...something collapsed right outside our tent. Or did something approach us perhaps?

Ewan takes the flashlight and opens the tent's zipper, jumping outside. "Keep an eye on them, I will be right back. Whatever happens, stay together! " This is obviously an order.

Not even a minute later, he returns to the tent, first announcing his arrival.

"Katie, I'm stepping into the tent now. There is no immediate danger."

Katie closes the tent's zipper immediately, in order to avoid heat loss. 

Ewan continues "a wall collapsed around the area where we first entered this building. We will have to find another way out, but as far as I can tell, there is no immediate danger."

"Oh god, I still feel my heart beating in my throat!" Katie said.

So while everyone thought that the world had ended, I was still fast asleep.

"..ya....Maya, wake up honey." Nyana gently shook me so I would wake up.

"Mmmmmm.  What's happening?" I was still half asleep.

"I can't believe you slept through that. Really...kids these days..."  Ewan said, shaking his head.

"A wall collapsed near us. We can't go back the same way. But otherwise we are safe," Katie said, answering my initial question.

I look up into Nyana's eyes. "Does this mean mommy and daddy can't find us anymore?"

"Oh no honey, not at all. It just means that they need to find another way. And Ewan asked his people for help earlier, remember?" Nyana is trying to help me relax. 

I nodded.

"It just means we have to be patient. But we have to leave this place, this building might not be as sturdy as it looked." Katie said while looking at me. Well, Ewan is shining the flashlight in the face of whoever speaks. I won't tell him that he almost blinded me. It is REALLY dark here.

"Oookay." Somehow my responses are getting shorter and shorter. I'm not doing this on purpose, I promise!

Nyana nuzzles me for a few seconds and helps me to stand up. I feel pins and needles in my feet, I must have slept in a poor posture.

Ewan decides that it's safer to leave the tent behind and move on. Whatever happens, help is already on its way.

"Are you there, guardian?" I said out loud. But there was no reply.

"It seems that the place was already on emergency power before we entered. The guardian is probably also  out of energy now. Watch your step Maya!" Ewan said as I nearly bumped into a wall. 

"Sowwie."

"Nana, please let her walk behind you, it's too dangerous for her to walk next to you."

"Yes, mister Ewan." Nana said. She would have nodded, but nobody could see well in this darkness.

"Nyana?"

"What is it sweetie?"

"Why can I see in darkness when I get mad at Snowball, but not now?"

"It has to do with your ancestral blood. It was also the reason why the guardian allowed you to pass. One day you will get it under your control, so you don't have to be angry to use your abilities anymore."

"Nana, that's it! Maya, can you try to see in the dark? Our flashlight won't be working for much longer. We do have spare batteries, but still...your eyes would be much better than our flashlight," Katie said.

"No Katie, that's too dangerous. Once she enters that state, she may attack us. It is an ancient instinct. She has to learn how to control that before it can really benefit her." Nyana said.

"I understand your concern Nana, but this flashlight is not enough to get us out of this place. We either stop and wait for the others to arrive, or have Maya guide us." Ewan said. "And we don't have a spare tent, so it's not going to be warming up anytime soon."

"Maya, do you think you can try seeing in the dark? And not bite us?" Katie is trying to reason with me, ignoring Nyana's fears.

"Nyana, I'm afraid."

"Yes sweetie, but we need your help. Think of Snowball. We will do our best to keep you safe." Katie said. She was there when I first discovered my ability.

We all stop walking. Here we are, standing still under a mile of ice. In complete and utter darkness. Trying to find our path between ancient ruins. Coldness, darkness and danger are all around us.

Then I imagine Snowball and cats in general. Creatures that just don't like me whatever I do. 

Suddenly I can feel something moving in my chest, my adrenaline is increasing my heart rate. I try to focus on my memories, both sets of memories. Trying to find something useful to help us. This somehow seems to help me focus my thoughts and speak more complex sentences. Strange.

"Yes honey, it's working. Your eyes are glowing red now. Now look around you and don't get angry." Nyana said.

I look around and take my time to observe the surroundings. "Wow, I really can see everything now. It's just in black in white. There are collapsed buildings all around us. There! I see a faint light there! There is also a path that way. The other way seems to abruptly stop. Maybe the edge of something?"

"Excellent Maya, now show us the path to where you saw that faint light. We will follow you closely."

And so I was promoted from a little useless kid to a flashlight with infrared capabilities. 

We walk for about ten minutes until the faint light becomes a recognizable white spot. The light really is coming from right above us. Is it sunlight? No, that can't be, we are a mile below the ice.
The others must see it now as well.

Then, from the corner of my eyes, I see something moving...yes something small is moving there!

"Maya wait!"  Nyana shouts in my direction, but I can't comprehend her words anymore. My body switched to intercept-mode, prioritizing brain functions on hunting and survival.

"Oh goddess. I knew it! She's gone wild again." Nyana said.

"I think I read a report about that. Nana, what do we do?" Ewan said.

But Katie answered instead. "Maya can enter a trance-like state where she can see in the dark. It's perfect for hunting, but in this feral state, she can't distinguish us from other animals. Keep your flashlight ready, it may blind her if she gets too close."

"Maayaaa!" Nyana shouted, but got no reply. 

"Growwwl!"  Oh..she did get a reply. But it was anything but civilized. 

"There she is!" Ewan said.

Strange. Those moving objects are making sound. The light above me is becoming brighter and brighter, interfering with my vision. But these three objects are now starting to glow. Blueish cold on the top and extremities. A yellow color below their skins and a bright red in their centers.
"Groowwwwll!" I proudly announce my arrival on my prey. There is no running away from me. I am the ultimate predator.

I wait for them to approach me, but then...a bright flash fills my field of vision.
"iiiiiiii!"   that hurt! 

"There, there she is!"  Ewan shouts.

I quickly run away and refocus on the little thing that I spotted earlier. It hasn't detected me yet.
The other three have lost my trail. 

It is small, and moves towards other small red objects. Yes....I see it's heart beating. This is dinner. 
I feel my claws and fangs preparing for an attack. I move closer and closer, careful to not make a sound.

Then...."kkcccccchhhhhh! skrieeeeee skrieeeeee."  I have it! The small red thing is in my mouth, I rip it apart. 
It tastes warm, yummie. The other red things are running away fast, I will never get those now. 
I will need to approach them later. Mmmmm my tummy approves, I feel better now. Warmer. 

Then...something grabs my arm, pushing me down so I can't move.
"Growl! iiiiiii!  kccccchhh!  hissssss!" I try to struggle free. One of the larger things is holding me down, making strange noises. 

I want to set my fangs on the warmest spot visible, but then...."iiiiiiii!" something cold is sprayed on my face. It's REALLY cold! 

"Yes, it's working!" 

I thrash around, but still can't free myself. Then someone slapped my face, not painful, just totally unexpected. My vision, it starts to fade! Noooo!

"It's working! She's coming back!" Katie said.

"Yes, she returned to normal! Oh thank goddess Maya. You're safe now."  Nyana said. But I don't move at all, I'm asleep. Just asleep, right here, right now. 

"This has happened every time. She always gets very sleepy after entering this state. But now she has been in that state for much longer, so I guess she will be out for a while." Nyana said.

"I don't think that matters now, look!" Ewan said.

The three adults look upwards and see a brilliant white light entering this area, illuminating everything.
"Oh god, Maya was right. That's no edge, it's a genuine precipice. She really guided us well!" Katie said.

"Yes, but at what cost." Nyana said, shaking her head while looking at me, who is safely in her arms.

"What....what is in her mouth Nana? Look!" Katie said. Due to the abundance of light Katie can now see that I have something in my mouth.

"Oh god, it's a rat! Quickly, get it out of her mouth!" Katie demands.

Nana carefully takes the rat out of my mouth and removes some blood from my face. 

"It would seem that her hunt was successful." Ewan remarked matter-of-factly.

Katie ignores him and says "I wonder where those rats come from. It's freezing here. There must be a heat source nearby."

But before Katie can finish her thoughts about the rats, two beings can be seen abseiling, wearing some kind of space suit including a helmet. They have already noticed the people down here, landing on the ground near us. 

One of them raises their hand and walks towards Ewan who needs to shield his eyes from the light. Their blinding light then focuses on Katie, then on Nyana.

"Nana! There you are! And Maya!"

"My lady! Be careful, Maya just went wild, she is now recovering."

The lady takes me out of Nyana's arms, and into her own.

Something woke me up. "Maaaaayaaaaa. Wake up sweetie."

"What happened?" I say out loud. Then I see two strangers in suits, they scare me. My eyes start glowing red again. 

Within a second I am standing with my two feet back on the ground, shivering. I take a few steps back.

"Maya honey. Don't be afraid! Mommy and daddy are here to take you home!"

My eyes immediately returned to normal.
"Mommy? Daddy?"

"Yes sweetie. Come here!"

I run towards mommy who opens her arms wide and embraces me tightly the moment I crash into her.

"Mommy mommy! I missed you sooo much." I wanted to look in her eyes, but only saw a helmet. 

"Don't be scared honey, these are only helmets. Your friends have protected you well it seems."

"Yes, they are good friends." I said softly.

"Awwww.....finally they are back together."  Katie said.

"Honey, don't you want to hug daddy too?"

I released the embrace and looked at the other person. "Daddy?"

"Yes sweetie, I'm your daddy. How about a hug?"

And I hugged him the same way I hugged mommy only moments ago. 

"Excuse me, would you perhaps be able to help us out of this place?" Ewan asked politely.

"Yes of course. Our ship is right on top of here. How about we continue this conversation in a much warmer place?" daddy said.

"Yes!"  was the only reply he got.

Ewan first radioed his people, so they wouldn't mount a rescue for nothing. Then mommy and daddy helped us get to the surface by using those cables again they used to get down here. 

 

Not even ten minutes later and mommy, daddy, Ewan, Katie, Nyana and I were onboard a real space ship.

I'm proudly sitting on mommy's lap while Nyana serves green tea to everyone. Except for the pilot, he's too busy with "plotting a return course" or something like that. I think he's just rude.

"Wow, that's different. You don't...have any ears?" mommy said to Katie.

"Ha ha ha, of course we do. See? They are just a bit smaller than yours."

"Amazing, and you can still hear us?"

"Sure. Is it really the first time you see someone like us?"

"Yes, we do have colonies we frequently visit. For promoting our tavern and stuff. But actually meeting an alien lifeform...amazing!" Mommy was truly amazed.

"Well, ma'am, we are equally amazed by your ears and tail. They are...alien to us." Ewan said.

"Wait, you also don't have a tail? Ahhhh you poor people! But you seem to have your heart in the right place. Thank you sooo much for looking after our little Maya. And Nana too of course."

Nyana joins us, now everyone has their green tea. I really wish they had other flavors of tea. Maybe I will introduce it to them?

"Delicious tea ma'am." Ewan said.

"Thank you. We serve this at our tavern. It's our specialty. And please call me Kiyo."

I probably look confused to mommy, because she says to me "Maya, you just call me mommy okay?"

I nod and smile 

Mommy then moves her nose through my hair, right between the ears. Why does she..purrrrrrrrr...do that?

"And my name is Motoki," daddy said while smiling at me.

"Truly an honor to meet you. I am Ewan, and this is my.....colleague Katie."

"Nice to meet you!" Katie said.

I keep switching my focus between Ewan and Katie.

"What's the matter, Maya?" Katie said.

"Well...uncle Ewan, auntie Katie...are you...maybe......"

"What? No, no way." Ewan said.  "No no, not at all." Katie replied at the same time. But they were exchanging glances at that exact same time.

"Mmmm...." I said. I was sure there was more going on between them. I know Katie has Allie, but only now do I realize that she never mentioned her husband. And that would also explain a bit of blushing which was going on between them. Could have been the tea though. But...then who was watching Allie at home? 

But my short attention span became obvious again.

"Here, this is yours, Maya. You dropped it when you started thinking about Snowball." Katie made me focus on Aika, and it was successful. She also put my backpack on the table.

"Ah, don't mention that name to her!" Nyana was afraid that I would go wild again.

My brain switched to little Maya mode again. Hugging and nuzzling my Aika as if she were my long lost child.

"Awwww...if anyone had any doubts so far....she really is our little Maya," mommy said. "mmmmm, aren't you?"

After the adults had completed their small talk, Ewan decided it was time to start asking the difficult questions.

"Motoki, if I may. Would our people be allowed to investigate the ruins below?"

"Sure, it's all yours. But I doubt it will be of any use to you. The technology is literally ancient by our standards."

"Thank you. Our race loves to discover and learn new things, it's in our genes." 

"But Ewan, this reminds me. Don't you have a portal here? Maya and Nana arrived here, so why didn't you just use the portal to contact us?" daddy said.

"Well, we were attacked by some creatures....Nana, what were they called again?"

"You mean the Vordaug?"

"Yes that one, thanks. They came through the portal without any warning, killing our people in the process. There was no other option than to destroy that...portal, as you call them. We call them mirrors."

"Interesting. Your portal must have been malfunctioning, the Vordaug are not allowed to use our...mirrors. But if you like, we can provide you with a newer model, those should last for at least a millennium."

"Yes please, Motoki. If it isn't too much trouble. We could keep in touch, perhaps exchange knowledge or culture?" Ewan is in full diplomatic mode now.

"Alright then. That is the least we can do for you, for keeping our Maya safe. You went on quite some adventure, involving innocent bystanders in your troubles, didn't you, Maya?"

"Sowwiee."  Somehow my tail thought I needed protection, because within seconds I was holding it before my face so I could hide behind it.

"That's not going to help you, young lady. What do you say to Ewan and Katie?" Mommy said.

"Thank you Ewan. Thank you Katie. For helping me. For protecting me." I said meekly from behind my tail.

"Awwww." Katie's heart was already in mommy-mode. 

"And for spoiling you, right Nana?" Mommy is a meanie!

"Well, my lady, she did enjoy her freedom. But she always listens to me. So spoiling her now and then is alright I think."

"Amazing, that coming from you Nana. Well if Nana says so, that makes me even more proud of you Maya." Daddy said.

"Daddy...." I was blushing from all the attention I received. Time to switch topics... "You were so amazing when you came down those cables. How did you do that?" 

"Well Maya, you know that mommy and daddy love rock climbing, don't you? That's where we learned how to do that. It's not difficult with the right equipment." 

"My lady, If I may inquire. Where did you get this shuttle?" Nyana asked.

"It helps when you have many business connections. A friend of ours didn't hesitate to lend us their shuttle. He even provided a pilot, because neither of us can fly this thing. Which reminds me, we can't stay here much longer."

"Of course, we don't want to delay your departure. But once the mirror is operational, might we ask for a little more information about your ancestors who visited this planet so long ago?"

"We would be happy to. Now that we have your planet's coordinates, we can easily check our records. So next time then?"

"Definitely." Ewan nodded. 

Then Katie said "I guess this is goodbye for now. Right, my little foxy woxy?" 

But I couldn't reply to Katie, Ewan and daddy are speaking louder and are talking business.

"Is it alright if we unload our portal at this location?" daddy asked Ewan.

"Of course, we will relocate it ourselves. We can't thank you enough for this." Ewan said.

"Don't mention it. I will program it to only allow your people to activate it. But only between our two worlds."

Daddy and Ewan went outside, probably to unload the mirror, but not before Ewan said goodbye to mommy, Nyana and me.

"Maya, sweetie. Until we meet again. It has been fun, don't you think?" Katie said.

"Uh hu! Does Santa deliver at my home too?"

"Well....if he doesn't, just tell me. I will have a word with him!" 

I then hugged Katie.

"Oof, I never get used to your hugging attacks. You really enjoy being a kid, don't you?"

"But I am a kid?" I was thoroughly confused. I'm only four, so how am I supposed to understand grown up talk?

"Forget it honey, of course you are.. I was just teasing you. I hope we see each other soon. Allie seems to be fond of you as well. So maybe we can come and visit?" Katie said.

"Of course you can, Katie. Maya's friends are our friends. You are welcome anytime. We always have guest rooms available in our tavern, and traveling through the portal couldn't be any easier." Mommy said. But then she said, "if Maya here can do it, so can you. But Maya..no more touching the portal, alright?"

"Yes mommy..."

"Goodbye Kiyo, I'm happy that you are reunited."

"Again, thank you for your kind help, Katie. And I hope to meet you soon in our home. We are short on time today, but I promise we will have all the time in the world next time, okay?"

"I'm looking forward to it. Bye Maya. Bye Kiyo, Nana."

We all waved goodbye and then Katie left our shuttle.

"Katie..." My eyes, I can't see well anymore..I'm crying. 

"Oh honey, you will see your friends soon, I promise!" Mommy kneels next to me and hugs me while I'm still holding tight onto Aika.

I can see Katie and Ewan taking steps back, they are back in the cold Antarctic air, shielding themselves from the cold wind. 

Daddy then enters the shuttle, closes the door and asks the pilot to take us home. Yes, he said it....home. We're really going...home!

This is it. I'm back. Mommy and daddy. Nyana. We are all together again, as it should be. 

I want to wave Katie and Ewan goodbye, but Nyana takes me on her lap and makes sure I'm safely locked in a seatbelt.

I see a snow vehicle approaching them, so they won't have to wait long to be warm inside. But my friends are gone for now. 

"Oh Maya, please don't cry. You really love them, don't you?" Mommy asked.

"Yeah...<sniff>...except for Snowball."

"Ha ha ha, yes, let's quickly forget about that creature. Your Kvir is a much better pet, don't you agree?" Nyana said.

 

But I didn't reply to her as all the emotions, confusing memories, events like me going wild are taking their toll. I'm only four after all. While cuddling Aika, I'm about to fall asleep on Nyana's lap, in her warm embrace. Mommy and daddy who are sitting near me smile at me. Mommy then brushes her hand against my cheek and says "welcome home my sweet little Maya." 

Nobody saw the four of us showing our love for each other by happily swaying our tails. 
Then I fall into a deep, restful sleep, dreaming of my family and my home. And my pet Kvir who is waiting for me as well.

 

While the shuttle, which matches the classic description of a disc shaped UFO, slowly ascends, the humans pick up the mirror and return to their base. The ship is now enveloped by a bright white light, then it shoots up into the cold Antarctic sky at seemingly impossible speeds, only leaving a faint twinkle as it completely disappears from sight.

Without anyone noticing, another person is smiling warmly at the people who just said goodbye to each other. Not that anyone can see his face, but he's smiling alright. New friends, a reunited family...all is as it should be.

It's the Watcher of course, who says "and so all ends well. Another story unfolds in this universe. Just as promised. It really seems like you are done glitching, except for that wild side of yours. 
Let's see what happens....I'll be watching over you, you little glitch...  But for now, just be happy, little one!"

 

Next chapter: Epilogue

14