Chapter 1
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Right from the beginning of time, there were gods and humans who made a pact with one another. 

These humans were granted a 'gift' in exchange for this union and as such they were given the name 'shaman.' 

With the passing of time, these gifted people became feared and were badly mistreated by the villagers and were taken to be the devil's mouthpiece. 

Shunned and severely persecuted as messengers from the gods. 

They were marked as outcasts by the villagers who had profited from their 'gifts'; many of them lost their lives and had to flee and from then on, they began living as fugitives.

* * * * *

Outskirts of Hanyang

Inside a ramshackle hut a young maiden in worn-out cotton garment sat hunched by the fire on the dirt floor. She began rubbing her hands together to warm herself but the calluses that had formed from hard manual labor caused discomfort to her.

 The friction split open the newly healed wound unconsciously making her wince in pain.

"Hiss!"

The night was unusually cold and the holes from the beat-up hut further added to the chill from within. 

Perched on her back was a bag made from loose fabric; inside held all her earthly possessions and everything that she had scraped together.

Rocking back and forth as she sat on the dirt floor; the flames from the fire illuminated the young maiden's pale face revealing the deep sadness that they held.

 Moments later the rocking motion of the frail body gave in and fell flat to a deep slumber as the last embers of the fire died out bringing with it a harsh chilly wind. 

But the exhausted maiden was far too gone to realize the danger of having no heat. The hut in complete darkness.

*****

[Apparition]

A bright golden light slowly brightens the hut and with it comes a man and a woman in regal garments.

Mireuk, "Tsk! Foolish human! She couldn't keep the place warm for our daughter?! This will not do!"

Dalnim, "Mireuk, is this the human that will keep Yuhwa's soul safe from Lord Seokga?"

A pair of cold blue eyes fell on the sleeping maiden; there was disgust in the way he looked at her.

 The two drew closer and the woman with the snap of her fingers caused a large pit of burning firewood to appear and a warm blanket.

Mireuk, "This human is a powerful shaman, but it is not enough to put our daughter's soul at risk when she cannot do something as simple as having a fireplace."

Mireuk, "Dalnim, I do not think it wise that we put our precious Yuhwa's soul into this human to keep her from Seokaga. The world is vast surely you don't think that we will not find another that can keep our daughter alive?"

A troubled look settled on the face of the woman that was called Dalnim; her warm liquid brown eyes clouded and there seemed to be some conflict taking place within the otherworldly beauty.

 Time stood at a standstill as the very air in the hut gave a slight tremble as though it was made aware that a life altering decision had been made. 

Dalnim, [Sigh!]

The woman's expression was not missed by the man as he saw a puff of air escape from her mouth and her shoulder slump as though in defeat. 

As though they knew what the other thought; the woman placed the palm of a hand on that of the man's and there appeared a glowing golden egg.

0