Chapter 27: Ian
363 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Bonus chapter for reaching 250 followers on Royalroad. Kindly consider leaving a review if you enjoy the story so far, those are always appreciated!

The meeting proceeded as usual. A few debates over a couple of spells. Lucien refrained from participating in such topics and instead chose to listen carefully. His knowledge was still quite insignificant, so the less he talked the fewer mistakes he would make. 

Estrea, on the other hand, was quite active in joining the conversations. Layla who was seated by his side remained relatively silent as well. Lucien caught her sneaking a few peeks at his face, but thought nothing of it. 

The meeting continued with nothing catching his interest, until a young blonde-haired man, with bright blue eyes, stood up and spoke: 

"I've come across a strange spell, but I don't know what It is. It's written in a strange language I've never seen before." 

Lucien's ears perked up at that, and he turned his attention towards the young man. The group of mages present, however, sighed and shook their heads while muttering to each other. 

"It's Ian again." 

"He should really let go of those childish fantasies." 

"I don't understand why he insists that it's an actual ancient magical language." 

"He's just desperate. Don't you know that he has been stuck at the bronze Novice rank ever since he started?" 

Although the conversations between the mages were quiet, they still managed to make their way to Lucien's ears. He scanned the young man's face with interest.

The young mage did not seem to care much about what others said about him. He carefully reached out to his bag and grabbed an ancient piece of yellowish paper, before he gently placed it on the round table that had materialized in the middle. 

Lucien's eyes were subconsciously drawn to the piece of paper when his heart suddenly skipped a beat. The language used was one that he was familiar with! It was the same as the one in the magic book his old pops left him! 

He tried to control his expression to not betray his emotions. The young mage pointed at the crude drawing of shining lights that seemed to follow a certain pattern before he spoke. 

"I believe this should be a guide to learning the spell." 

Lucien inwardly nodded. The shining lights represented the floating mana particles, and the pattern should be the one to follow to activate the spell. Although Lucien wasn't completely sure, he was still convinced that the spell was indeed legit. 

The rest of the mages present, however, thought otherwise. As far as he knew, nobody was able to 'see' mana. The most they could do was 'feel' it, and even that was not accurate enough. Hence why it was hard for these mages to assume that the shining lights were in fact, mana particles. 

"Boy, I know it's hard to progress to the next rank. But you are still young, and still have potential, don't waste your time with these baseless superstitions." An old lady who was seated opposite to Lucien spoke in a kind tone. 

Before the young mage could reply, a middle-aged man with a well-trimmed beard spoke impatiently: 

"This is not wasting your time, but ours as well. Do you think it's easy to discover a new spell? Not to mention an ancient magical language? Stop wasting our time on this! I think I speak for everyone when I say we are tired of this bullshit!" 

Lucien was surprised at the strong reaction everyone was showing. The young blonde mage frowned and gritted his teeth before he sat back down, and gently grabbed the old piece of paper before he placed it in his bag. 

Estrea waved her hand silencing everyone before she spoke: 

"Enough. Who's next?" 

***** 

The meeting proceeded with no problems or unexpected interruptions. It continued that way until it was close to midnight. Estrea stood up and announced the end of the discussion.

Everyone stood up and began to take their leave. Lucien, on the other hand, remained seated. His eyes were glued on the young blonde mage who had a downcast expression on his face. 

"Goodbye, Mr. Lucien!" Layla waved at him as she turned to leave. Lucien smiled and waved back. 

A few mages he did not recall the names of, came to ask him a few questions, to which Lucien answered vaguely. His eyes never quite left Ian, the young mage throughout the whole time. 

Estrea was busy sending everyone home when Ian stood up with a sigh. He grabbed his bag and got ready to leave. It was then that Lucien excused himself from the group and made his way to the young mage. 

"Excuse me." 

Ian who didn't expect to be stopped turned around with a puzzled face. His eyes widened in shock as he realized who called him. 

"Mr. Lucien!" 

Lucien nodded with a smile and spoke: 

"I'm a little bit curious about your research. If you don't mind, please come and visit me sometime."

Ian still in shock, hurriedly nodded his head repeatedly and replied: 

"It would be an honor, sir! Would it be alright if we exchanged contacts?" 

"Of course," Lucien answered and gave the man his number, along with the address of his bookstore. 

"Thank you, Mr. Lucien! I'll definitely visit you as soon as possible!"  

"Good. Now if you'll excuse me, I still have some matters to discuss with Estrea." 

"Y-Yes! Please take care!" Ian responded excitedly with a bow. 

The few mages that stayed behind watched the entire ordeal in confusion and began to whisper amongst themselves. 

"Tsk, he's going to end up wasting the high mage's time as well."   

"Mr. Lucien is too nice." Another mage sighed in reply. 

Lucien didn't care about their opinion, he instead made his way to the window on the other side of the floor. He watched the various mages slowly take their leave in groups of two and three, with a few minutes in between each exit.

After the final group left, Estrea who was the organizer of the meeting came back. She glanced at Lucien with a sweet smile, her hazel eyes seemed to shine as she looked at him. 

"Well then, Mr. Lucien. Please follow me." 

Lucien shook his head and replied: 

"I thought I told you to call me Lucien." 

"You did?" Estrea answered with feigned ignorance. She then led him to her bedroom, which was surprisingly the same as last time.

"So the whole house changes, except for the master bedroom?" 

Estrea gave him a mysterious smile and replied: 

"Something like that." 

"Hmmm." Lucien nodded and settled down on the couch. 

"Tea?"

"I'd like that, thank you." 

17