Chapter 29: Acting the part
336 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Kindly consider leaving a review if you enjoy the story so far, as those are really helpful.

The next day was spent as usual. A few regular customers dropped by, with a couple of new ones who stumbled upon the bookstore by chance. Slowly, but surely, Lucien's old bookstore was gaining traffic. 

Although It was still nowhere near enough to pay for his living expenses, Lucien was getting there. He decided to take a break from studying magic and clear his mind with some of his old favorite fantasy novels. 

Lucien continued like that, all the way until evening. He even forced himself to cook lunch, an achievement he was quite proud of. Moon also got to enjoy a lavish meal with chicken and tuna. 

The evening hue of the sun painted the old bookstore floor orange. Lucien placed the novel in his hands on the counter and raised his eyes to look at his surroundings. 

The floating mana particles still looked as pretty as always. They glimmered like ethereal gems in the air, giving off a mystical vibe. A comfortable smile slowly drew across his face as he lost himself in the serene scene. 

Memories of the past flashed through his mind. Every corner of the bookstore had a history. His grandpa wasn't a big fan of calling for help. Whenever something broke down, he would grab his tools and fix it, all the while lecturing him about how a man should know how to work with his hands. 

"It builds character," Lucien muttered his old pops favorite phrase with a chuckle. A long sigh quickly followed.

The past month was not easy. Although Lucien tried to move on and buried himself in studying magic. It was mostly an escape from the reality that he tried to avoid. His old pop was gone. 

Lucien slowly lowered his head to the counter and closed his eyes. It was one of those days. As if sensing his mood, Moon who was seated by the entrance ran up to him and tried to snuggle close to his face. 

Another sigh escaped Lucien's lips, as he forced his head up. His hand subconsciously reached out to stroke Moon's soft fur. 

"It's just too lonely without him, you know?" He said to Moon who titled her head puzzledly.

Lucien didn't mind the confused expression on her face since he mostly wanted to clear out his chest, and continued: 

"I still feel like I'll see him behind the counter whenever I open the door. Or he'll be sitting in the living room reading the paper and complaining about the state of the world." Lucien shook his head and placed Moon on his lap.

"But he's not. He's gone, and this place is all I have left." 

The entrance bells chimed and pulled him out of his nostalgic mood. Lucien quickly donned a professional smile and welcomed his new customers. 

"Welcome!" 

*****

Night came. Lucien was getting ready to close the shop when a special guest came to visit. He saw the tiny floating mana strands react to the newcomer, which foretold of his identity as a mage. 

Lucien had a general idea of who it was. He waved his hand and used Imer to open the bookstore door. Ian's figure was seen standing outside with a surprised expression. He hastily gave a deep bow to Lucien who in turn invited him in. 

"Come on in." 

*****

The day passed painfully slow for Ian. Ever since he got the invitation to visit the mysterious high mage yesterday, his mind was not able to calm down. 

Ian kept thinking of various possibilities and dangers he could face, yet his curiosity won over. He didn't care, as long as he found his answers. Everyone called him crazy, but he knew that the strange language was magical! 

And if proving that meant heading into the devil's jaw, then that's exactly what he will do. It took Ian the entire day mostly mentally preparing himself. All of that, however, proved to be useless once he found himself standing before the old bookstore. 

His heart thumped loudly in his chest, he quickly took a few deep breaths and prepared himself when the door suddenly opened. Ian froze for a second before he quickly bowed. The mysterious mage spoke in an inviting tone: 

"Come on in." 

The second Ian took his first step inside the bookstore, he felt an unknown force hindering his ability to use mana. It was as if a giant mountain was bearing down on his back, it felt suffocating almost. 

Ian quickly released his control over the mana which alleviated the feeling slightly, making it a bit more bearable. He slowly walked inside, the door closed behind him. Ian's eyes curiously glanced at the bookshelves to his left and right as he made his way toward the counter. 

'It looks like a normal bookstore, but I can't be fooled. Just that oppressive aura is proof enough that it's anything but normal.' 

"Please sit down." The mysterious mage waved his hand again dragging a small chair from near one of the shelves, behind Ian. 

"Thank you." 

"Ian was it?" The enigmatic mage asked, to which he hurriedly nodded. 

"Yes, It's a pleasure to officially meet you, sir Wood." 

"Oh, please. Lucien is fine." 

Ian hesitated before he ultimately answered with a nod. The mysterious mage seemed pleased with his response as his lips curved slightly upwards into a small smile. 

"A-About the paper!" Ian was almost unable to contain his excitement, he stuttered as he spoke. 

Lucien chuckled in reply and answered: 

"Calm down. Isn't a mage supposed to keep his calm at all times?" 

Embarrassed, Ian hurriedly lowered his head in shame. 

"I'm sorry. I let my curiosity get the best of me." 

Lucien waved his hand dismissively and continued: 

"It's alright, I don't mind. If anything, your dedication to unraveling the unknown is commendable." 

Ian's eyes lit up at the sudden praise. Everyone mocked him for not following the already paved way of magic, they ridiculed him saying he was just wasting his time and that he would never find anything, yet the mysterious mage in front of him seemed to think otherwise. 

His heart felt warm as he hurriedly lowered his head to express his gratitude. It may have been a simple praise but to Ian, It meant the world. 

"Thank you..." 

Lucien smiled in satisfaction and added:

"While it's good striving for the unknown, one must not let his emotions cloud his judgment. A mage must always remain rational." 

Ian quickly nodded and replied: 

"Yes! Thank you for your teachings." 

*****

'I think that should be enough to build an image of a mysterious mage in his eyes.' Lucien inwardly mumbled. 

He had no intentions of clearing the misunderstanding regarding his identity. For now, that acted as a shield almost against all of the big factions. That was something Lucien did not want to lose. 

And so, the first step in maintaining his mysterious identity was to act the part. Something Lucien was trying to do with Ian. 

'Now, though. How do I handle the situation with the spell?' He contemplated inwardly. 

16