Chapter 23: Beer Run
64 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Francis agreed to send three squads to assist in the movement of the ship to the factory.  One of the squad was large and heavy automatons Francis called Porters.  They were about a foot taller than Ice in his armor and were very slow moving.  It would take about an extra day to move the ship with the porters however they would be able to do so much easier.

 

As Ice led the way with his two tier 2 combat drones flanking him on either side and the automatons following behind he felt much more prepared.  He had even been able to attach his pistol to the side of his armor using a magnetic holster system.  While they walked through the woods he took potshots at trees with his railgun, careful to never use too much ammo at one time.  The slivers of metal it fired would go right through the trees he hit and often disappear inside a second one.  His Nano Sword wasn’t at all what he expected.  It didn’t seem to cut so much as to devour whatever he touched with its edge.  He didn’t try the shield system out because he was having too much fun with the railgun and sword.

 

They didn't see a single Theriope on the walk towards the beach.  However once they arrived on the sands they saw four type 3s moving in the direction of the ship.  The automatons started to move forward but Ice waved them back.  As he pointed his railgun towards the Theriope a targeting reticle appeared in his hud showing distance and where he was aiming.  Once he had lined up on the closest Theriope he fired a burst of three micro flechette rounds into its side.  It practically shredded the type 3 and splashed yellow blood onto the next closest one.  Ice shot that one as well when it turned to charge up the beach towards them.  He strode down the sands towards the last one summoning his nano sword as he did.  It leaped at him and he attempted to kick it and missed.  It latched on to his extended leg and pulled him off  balance so he landed face down in the sand as he failed to catch himself.  He rolled to his back just as the Theriopes jaw snapped shut where the back of his neck had been moments before.  He immediately thrust the nano sword into the chest of the Theriope and watched it start to dissolve.  

 

*Ding*

 

Enzymes stored.

 

 Biological material logged for friend foe targeting system.  Tag ENEMY.

 

"Well that's convenient.  Raven, why didn't you tell me about this friend foe system?"

 

"There's only one Biological friend on the planet.. I highly doubt it matters."

 

"Ah… that makes sense."

 

Ice slowly stood up, his armor made him feel light as a feather as the servos strengthened him beyond the norm.  He frowned as he thought about the missed kick for a moment but then shrugged and started walking down the beach motioning for the drones and automatons to follow him.  Ahead he could just barely see the top of the Owlette.  It had only been a few days but the changes in him and in his gear were impressive and he knew it.  As they came closer he saw what looked like webbing over the Owlette.  He immediately went on alert bringing his railgun up and scanning the area for type 7s.  After a few minutes with no sign of movement he led the way carefully to the Owlette still watching the area around the ship and the dunes leading towards the forest.

 

When they arrived at the base of the ramp he saw that the webbing was different than the blade spiders webbing it was almost finer…. And less sticky he realized as he lightly touched it with one armored finger.  He activated his nanoblade and began to cut the silk off the ship on one side while an automaton with an axe did the same on the other albeit more slowly.  It took about 5 minutes for the two of them to cut the silk off enough for the porters to move the ship.  Once they did, Ice had the automatons gather up the silk and toss it inside the ship.  Before having the automatons slowly lift the ship and carry it off the beach onto the more solid ground on the other side of the dunes.

 

Ice had the two drones guard the sides and rear of the ship while he walked in front.  He continuously scanned the trees on the way back to the factory but only saw a few type 3s which he quickly eliminated using the armor railgun.  As they neared the factory he heard a clicking noise coming from inside the ship.  

 

He turned just in time for a small black skinned caterpillar to launch itself from this airlock of the ship onto the faceplate of his armor.  Where it exploded showing him in the thick yellow acidic blood of the Theriopes.  Hastily he wiped it away with one hand as he ordered the automatons to drop the ship and step away from it.

 

Ice had the two D.O.Gs guard the door while he cautiously walked inside the dark interior of the ship.  "Raven, I don't suppose this thing has like … night vision or something?  And what was that thing that attacked me?"

 

"That was a type 1.  They are small caterpillars like Theriopes left as ambush troops in likely locations.  They are usually considered a non threat to system user's.  However if you are caught by two or three of them in rapid succession it will significantly damage your armor.  You should move carefully.  You have a low visibility alert system built into the hud but no you don't have night vision.  Might I suggest turning up the armor's exterior lights until we have some visibility?"

 

"Yea do that."  Ice waited a moment as the armor's lights slowly brightened until he could see in the dark ship.  He slowly moved from room to room without finding anything until he came to the engineering section where there was a small egg sack on the wall.  Only one egg inside looked to have hatched and he used his nanoblade to destroy the rest before they had a chance.  Once he was done he moved out of the ship and they continued back to the factory without further mishap.

 

Ice found Ducky standing outside the Nano Forge with the small industrial drone seeming to give it directions on how to clean the exterior of the ship.  

 

"Ducky, do you think you and Bug can salvage the Owlette for any usable supplies?"

 

"Of course Capitan, shouldn't be an issue"

 

"Good, I'm going to set the suit to self repair and take a nap in the Nano Forge if anything happens wake me up."

 

Don't forget my friends and readers that you can read ahead of what is posted by subscribing my Patreon @ https://www.patreon.com/Iceduya

0