Chapter 6 – A Meowntain of Work
2k 14 76
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monday morning arrived far too quickly for Chloe’s tastes. After an evening of bodily exploration, snacking, and cuddling, Morgan and Chloe had passed out somewhat later than expected and Chloe discovered that she was a little bit less of a morning person – the hard way. The alarm on her cell phone went off for the fourth time before she finally clambered out of bed and made it to the bathroom to brush her teeth and hair.

As she walked into the living room, a random thought occurred to her. “Hey, Sekhmet? Bastet? Is there anything of my old body left in me? Like… fingerprints or DNA or anything?”

There was no answer. Well, they were goddesses, it’s not like they would always be at beck and call through the statues. But it was an interesting question. How was she going to prove or establish her identity if she wanted to continue to function as a member of society? As it was, she had to disable the facial-recognition on her computer and cell phone. Speaking of her cell phone…

Chloe logged into the HR app on her phone to inform her employer that she was taking two days of paid time off for “sudden non-COVID illness.” If she was out a third day, she’d need a doctor’s note and she had no idea where she’d get one without forging it. Oh well, that was a worry for tomorrow’s Chloe. Instead, she sat down at her computer and began researching.

After what felt like an interminable amount of time, Morgan awoke and began to prepare breakfast while Chloe continued to look up information. It looked as though this was going to be a frustratingly time-consuming process. And she still hadn’t informed her friends and family, yet. She scratched her head and called out to Morgan, “So, unless there’s some sort of magic solution to change my records, I’m probably going to end up deported or something.”

“What do you mean deported? You only speak English. Where would they even send you?” Morgan asked over the sizzling of eggs in a skillet.

“I dunno. Egypt?” Chloe replied jokingly. “But in all seriousness, if I can’t prove my identity with a DNA match, fingerprints, or some other biometric marker, I’m probably in for some issues with regard to establishing my existence in society.” She gestured toward the altar. “The goddesses didn’t respond when I asked them about it earlier.”

Morgan let out a huge laugh. “How did you ask them? As a roommate or a supplicant?”

Chloe blinked. “A suppla-what?”

Sliding the eggs onto a plate and adding a couple slices of toast, Morgan walked over to Chloe’s computer desk. “Look, sweetie, you’re dealing with ancient deities, not your coworkers. If you want something from them, you’re going to need to show deference and earn their favor.”

Chloe accepted the plate with a quick thanks and stuffed one of the sunny side-up eggs into her mouth with the grace of a monitor lizard. Morgan thumped her on the forehead for the strangely adorable lack of manners. “Yeah, that’s not going to win you any brownie points with goddesses, love,” Morgan said. 

There was a sudden feeling of electricity in the air, an ionization that make Chloe’s tail floof out involuntarily.

“I’m sure Sobek would have found that display charming,” said Bastet’s voice from the altar. “But I’d prefer to see a bit more respect for one’s food, if I’m being honest.”

“Hello Bastet! Thank you for speaking with us,” Morgan said graciously.

With a proper display of manners, Chloe proceeded to finish her plate of food as Morgan moved to address the altar. “What can we do for you today?” she asked as she lit a stick of incense.

“I’m a protector of cats and… cat-kin. So Chloe’s irreverence toward me is more tolerable than, say, some random human. She’s like a baby sister. You needn’t worry overly much in that regard,” Bastet said reassuringly. 

“With regard to the identity issue, I believe we can assist somewhat. But proper tribute must be paid for a favor of this magnitude,” said Sekhmet’s voice from the other side of the altar.

“What sort of tribute would be suitable to assist us with this matter?” Morgan inquired.

“The tribute shall be threefold. First, you must bring before us a blank papyrus scroll, a reed pen or brush, and black ink,” Sekhmet began.

Chloe scoffed at the requirements. “Sure, I’ll just buy those on Etsy!”

“Quiet,” Sekhmet replied firmly. Chloe was suddenly compelled to kneel down on the floor before the altar with her ears perked forward attentively.

“The second part is a bottle of sweet red wine. Your discretion is fine, but I prefer Greek wines,” Bastet continued once Chloe was being respectful.

“The third part of the tribute is a pair of kittens from the same litter, both female, and weaned from their mother,” the goddesses said together in unison.

Morgan frowned and looked toward Chloe in concern. “Do you think you’re ready to accept a new kitten into our home?” she asked softly.

A thoughtful moment of quiet passed before Chloe said, “Luna is a part of me, now. She’ll always be with me. I think I can make room in my heart for new kitties.” She tried to smile, but there was still some sadness and pain behind her grin.

“Bring these things together and we shall work to align the record of the human Kyle James Fletcher with the feline-kin Chloe,” Sekhmet said.

“Thank you, Sekhmet. Thank you, Bastet,” Morgan replied in a reverent tone.

Bastet’s statue looked almost as though it was smiling. “We take our leave.”

There was a feeling in the air, as of a great pressure suddenly releasing, and Chloe and Morgan found themselves alone without the divine presence. Morgan extended one hand behind the head of her partner and moved it forward suddenly.

“OW!” Chloe cried out. “What the hell was that for?”

Morgan gestured at the altar and stared wide-eyed at Chloe. “Can you please show a little more respect for my patrons? They did kinda save your life and all. Not to mention they are literal goddesses!”

“Okay, okay, okay! Cripes. I’ll show some more respect. But just because they saved my life doesn’t mean I worship them or anything! I’m still an–”

Morgan interrupted Chloe with a high-pitched giggle. “You are NOT about to tell me that you’re still an atheist when you have PROOF of divine beings at work in our living room!”

“Hmph!” Chloe hmphed. “I am open to the idea that extra-planar beings of exceptional and immeasurable power exist! BUT! That doesn’t mean that I necessarily believe in their specific version of the creation myth. Accepting that these specific gods exist opens the possibility that all gods exist in some fashion. And who knows? They could be like the Q from Star Trek! A bunch of beings that defy our admittedly primitive understanding of the universe and physics.”

“Oh my Ra! You’re lucky you’re as cute as you are for how frustrating you can be sometimes,” Morgan exclaimed. “Can you imagine the chaos if all the different gods and goddesses of humanity existed?”

“That’s a metaphysical discussion for a later time, beloved,” Chloe teased. “For now, let’s see if we actually can get some of what we need online.” She moved toward her computer but got hooked by one of Morgan’s arms. 

“Not yet, Kitten. You need to put actual clothes on for the day. I’m not going to have you running around in a super-sized t-shirt while we’re working around the house,” chastised Morgan.

“But… But Morgan!”

Morgan dragged Chloe back to the bedroom and the pair proceeded to get dressed. Morgan threw on a pair of yoga pants and a comfortable t-shirt. Chloe, on the other hand, found herself in a small pair of red shorts, a black bralette, and a white tank top. She seemed satisfied with the look for a most ridiculous reason.

“Hey! Hey honey! If I had red hair, I could cosplay as female-half Ranma Saotome!” Chloe said excitedly.

“Pfffft!” Morgan sputtered in response, smacking a hand to her forehead. “Leave it to you to approach this all with the naive enthusiasm of an anime protagonist.”

Chloe had already darted back to her computer, her black tail swishing as she scanned various websites. “Holy shit! The materials really are on Etsy!” she exclaimed excitedly. “I wonder if we can get express shipping?”

76