8. In the shadows
327 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The second day of becoming a good student. 

It was as dreadful as ever.

"Luke Alaistar, answer this question" 

"Luke, turn on the page number 67" 

Luke this, Luke that..

It was to the point he hated his name whenever the professors called him out. 

It seems like what he did to Kyle yesterday angered lots of people. It was still better than becoming a laughing stock, but after answering the 20th question from the same professor within 10 minutes, he was starting to regret it.

"You've great handwriting" 

The only person who didn't try to belittle him or humiliate him in any way was the magic class professor Elena.

"Thank you" 

The strict professor who rarily compliments anyone praised his handwriting twice. It really lifted his spirits. 

"4 points. You lost control during a spell" 

"I see" 

Eventually the class that everyone hated became Luke's most favorite. 

"Hey you!" 

"...." 

"Luke Alaistar, I'm talking to you! I request a duel" 

"Declined" 

Because of intensity of the classes, Luke didn't even had the strength to argue with Lisa when she threw her glove at him. 

His action, again, shocked everyone. 

The past Luke would smash his opponents head if he was asked for a duel. But now he just brushed past it as if it was nothing. 

Strange. This Luke was really strange. 

It was like a calm before the storm.

Not knowing when he'd explode again, every student tried their best to keep their distance. Except from one person. 

"My dear student! Hey, don't leave me behind!" 

The crazy magician, Sebastian.

As soon as Luke started attending lessons, he ditched Kyle's group and followed him around like a dog. Precisely, it all started after he saw Luke's magic. 

'I thought Kyle's magic was interesting since he can use both aura and magic which is true specialty of magic-swordsman. But this dark magic is..' 

In theory, dark magic is not the same as other elemental magics. Because it can imitate any of the elements briefly. Most people consider it as an evil magic made of human's most deepest and darkest desires. There's also a theory that it has a mind on it's own too which aroused Sebastian's curiosity even further.

He wanted to take a glimpse of that power one more time.

"Which class do you have next? I have Ancient language" 

"Haa.... Same" 

Sebastian smiled.

'He's not a bad person' 

After all if he was truly an asshole as rumored, he could've called him a commoner and stomp on him several times. 

But Luke was casual in interacting with both commoners and nobles despite growing up in a noble household. 

In other words, he hates everyone equally. 

Nonetheless to Sebastian, his attitude wasn't the worst he has experienced.

'Oh, I sense a very pure mana. Is it..' 

Seeing a silver mana flowing around everywhere, Sebastian turned to the source of that power, a similar silver haired girl sitting on the front row. 

As expected, the mana that reminded him of the first snow of winter belonged to none other than the priest apprentice, Helen.

Luke was also surprised to see her without the prince around her.

Before he could turn away, he was met with her eyes and unconsciously stepped back.

'Somehow, she feels more unpleasant today' 

Darkness and divine power would obviously never get along. Her presence itself made him uncomfortable.

Luke did his best to mask his displeasure with indifference and went to a chair as far away from her as possible. Though it didn't help much with that uneasy feeling.

The boring ancient language class went on yet Helen's gaze didn't leave him one bit. 

"Hey, I think she has a crush on you"

"That's not even funny"

He brushed away Sebastian and focused on his studies. 

"..For this topic, I'd like to give an assignment. Each students will work as a team of 4 members and translate the words on these ruins"

As soon as the professor said that, Helen's hand shot up in the air. 

"Yes, miss Helen Mayer?"

"I'd like to use my right as the number one in this class and choose my own teammates" 

'Was there such a right?'

Not only Luke but everyone had the same thoughts. 

"That's a very useful information. If there's a team assignment in magic class I'd definitely pick you, my best friend"

Sebastian, who's ranked first in magic class spoke joyfully which Luke responded almost instantly.

"I'd prefer you to kill me instead"

Luke didn't intend it to be a joke yet Sebastian still laughed. 

In the meantime the professor tried their best to reason with their student.

"Ms. Mayer, I'm afraid I can't show you any favoritism even if you're my top student.."

"I want Luke Alaistar to be on my team"

"..Then again, since you're my best students I'll let you pick just once"

The way the professor changed at slightest mention of Luke's name was ridiculous.

"Wait, then what about my opinion?"

"Ms. Mayer is the best student in my class. Using this opportunity, you can learn a lot from her"

"But.."

"Besides, I don't think there'll be anyone willing to be your teammate other than her, Mr. Alaistar"

Apparently, the professor has been racking his brain to put the troublemaker in a decent group since earlier. It was real relief that a student as responsible as Helen wanted to take care of him.

Realizing his situation, Luke awkwardly looked around, his face turning slightly red. 

"Me! Me! I'd like to be on his team!"

Sebastian being the oddball he was, screamed to be on his team. Aside from this half crazy guy, everyone averted their gazes. 

"Haa.. fine, I'll work with her"

Being in team with the smart kid means easy grades. 

Just when he was trying his best to ease his mind..

"Then I'd like to talk to my teammate separately. For school project" 

Helen grabbed him with her hand full of divine power and dragged him outside.

Just being in contact was disgusting enough. Strangely, Helen must be feeling even worse by now yet she didn't let him go until they made it to a quiet place.

"What're you doing? Are you crazy?" 

"What's your intention?!" 

Luke frowned when their voice overlapped each others' at the same time. He first then pointed at their interlocked hands. 

"How about you let go of first?"

"I know you're hiding something under that dark magic of yours. Hand it over!" 

The other boy rolled his eyes. 

"Are you sick in the head? I'm from Alaistar so of course I use dark magic"

Using a little strength, Luke twisted and released his wrist. 

"If you don't like my presence then I'll take it as the temple denying the Alaistar household's presence and relay it to my father as it is"

Just when he was about to leave, his legs were stuck. When he looked down there were bound by golden vines created by divine power. 

To a person with dark magic, it was like having snakes wrapping around his legs. 

"I won't let you go until you confess"

He could see the determination in Helen's eyes when spoke such nonsense.

"You know that using magic or any kind of power is prohibited here right?" 

"I'm only following the will of the Goddess Freya" 

"Hah"

This is exactly why he hates the temple. 

The members of the temple will do anything they want in the name of Goddess or whatever. The lower members don't even have their own will and does whatever the bishop says blindly.

It's as if they're invisible to all the rules while pretending to be following one. 

"I was holding back since I was planning to change. But you crossed the line" 

Speaking in such a low tone Luke activated his magic power. 

This time it wasn't to do some small tricks like lighting up a fire. Helen's face crumbled as she watched the large shadow crawl beneath his feet. 

Her divine power, which is only at the level of a priest apprentice was nowhere near to stop him. 

'I'm dead..'

"Luke Alaistar. What're you doing?"

As soon as Luke heard the voice, he immediately cancelled all his magic. The large dark shadow looming over Helen's figure disappeared and only Helen's divine power bounding Luke's feet remained. 

"You should learn not to stick your nose into other people's business, Kyle Goodhill" 

The way they both used each other's full names in such cold tones created a hostile atmosphere. 

"What do you mean! You were definitely going to hurt Helen! I saw it!"

Besides him was Lisa who finally came back to her senses and spoke furiously as usual. 

"Are you blind? Can't you see her divine power restricting my movements?"

"That's obviously a self defense since you were going to attack her first!" 

Even though she came late at the scene, Lisa spoke confidently as if she has seen everything. It was obvious who she'd believe between a soon-to-be priest who is her friend and the former delinquent. Not to mention she came at the worst time. 

Annoying. 

This is why Luke didn't want to even breath the same air as the temple people. 

"Fine. You can believe whatever you want. I don't care" 

He glanced at Helen's eyes which she averted nervously. Her reaction was enough to convince the two figures that she was mistreated in some way. 

Yesterday at the dining room, and now this.

'I guess I won't be graduating this academy'

Instead of wasting his efforts, it might be better to run away from home with enough money before the news reach his father's ears.

*****

"Helen, are you okay?"

The silver haired girl's hands were shaking. Even more after she saw Luke casually cut off her divine power and walk away. 

"Did he do something to you?" 

"N, no, I'm fine"

It was her who started it. 

She should've called him out later, maybe after calling the high-priest. It was all due to her own carelessness.

"Don't worry, I'll tell the professor your absence. Let's get you to the infirmary  first"

Helen looked up and her eyes were met with a pair of beautiful red eyes. 

In temple, red eyes are often considered as demonic but Kyle's eyes were filled with kindness and soft look. The boy helped her get back up on her feet gently, without even noticing the silver haired girl's bright red cheek.

"What happened? Why did you come here with him? Is that guy bullying you?"

From the other side, Lisa bombarded her with questions full of worry and anger.

Helen shook her head. 

"No. I was the one who dragged him there first. Because I could feel a strange power coming from him" 

"Strange power?"

"Something dark and sinister" 

Lise asked, her face full of confusion. "But since his magic is dark magic, wouldn't that be natural?"

In response Helen's expression turned grim. "No. When I saw him yesterday, it wasn't that bad. But today I could sense an evil power attached to him... a power similar to a.. demon's"

The eyes of the other two students widened. 

"Demon?!"

Even Kyle, who's usually calm and collected showed and expression of shock. 

Demons are a race of darkness that're born with evil nature. There're people who make contract with those demons who have an unimaginable destructive power and pay back with their souls.

Making a contract with a demon is taboo in not just Leticia but the entire world. Once you're caught, you'll be deemed as worst of the worst criminals and will get beheaded instantly. 

Considering Luke's nature, it wasn't a baseless assumption. 

"Come to think of it, I heard his mother passed away. Wouldn't that decrease his chance of becoming the next heir?" 

After wondering for a while, Lisa came up with a guess.

"He suddenly started studying and acting like a decent person right after that. But then he must've realized no matter how hard he tries, he can't surpass his brother so he must've decided to do the unthinkable" 

Now that she has said it, it made a lot of sense. 

"I'm 90%, no 100% certain that I'm correct. Now all we have to do is notify the temple!" 

"But we don't have enough evidence. If Helen was wrong and Luke turns to be completely innocent, not only Helen but the entire temple might get in trouble"

Lisa fell into a deep thought at what Kyle said. As much as she hated to admit, it made a lot of sense so she had no choice but to agree.

"Then today, let's follow him and keep an eye on him as much as possible. Kyle, you take Helen to the infirmary. I'll go and find him"

"Lisa wait-" 

The girl disappeared instantly to the direction where Luke left without even properly ending the conversation. 

"Let's just hope she won't get caught" Kyle mumbled.

5