Chapter 14 – The Dungeon’s Boss
363 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[You’ve killed a Rare Giant Swarm Spider Lv. 15]

[..]

Nathan had defeated the monster. It was clear from the notification he got, despite the fact that the Spider was still twitching slightly.

His heart was beating very fast. The fight he had just fought was not something light. It even felt like a life-and-death battle.

Nathan threw himself to the ground in exhaustion and relief as all the intensity of battle left his body. He was thrilled and satisfied, and the fatigue that was gripping his body tightly did nothing to dim his elation.

“Woah...” Luna hovered over him. “What a tense battle, Master Nathan. But you miraculously got through it.”

Nathan smiled widely. “Can I rest for a while?” He closed his eyes but kept his consciousness from falling asleep in that place.

After his heartbeat calmed down, Nathan lifted himself into a sitting position.

Nathan activated the Magic Detection and immediately realized the fact that made him more than a little bitter.

“After such an insane battle I had just now, this monster didn’t leave a Monster Core for me?”

Luna chuckled. “I’m so sad, too. But you still got more experience, don’t you?”

Nathan nodded. “In a dungeon of this low level, I had to meet a monster like this. And, it isn’t even the boss of this dungeon, right?”

Luna nodded quickly. “Hummu… Hummu…”

“No wonder many beginners have difficulty clearing dungeons like this alone.” Nathan clicked his tongue. “Even with all the amazing things I have, I still had to fight really hard to defeat it.”

Nathan stood back up. He stretched his muscles. “Okay, Luna, we have little time. Let’s move on and quickly clear this dungeon.”

“Yeah…. Let’s go, go, go!!!”

***

[You’ve killed Swarm Spider Lv. 8]

[...]

[You’ve killed Swarm Rat Lv. 7]

[...]

[Level Up]

[You received 6 stat points]

[You received 100 skill points]

[Level: Unranked Lv. 7]

[Exp: 24/152]

[…]

[You’ve killed Swarm Spider Lv. 9]

[You’ve killed Swarm Rat Lv. 7]

[...]

[Exp: 150/152]

“It feels so satisfying every time I see these notifications.”

Nathan drew his sword, which stabbed deep into his victim’s heart. He shook off the blood which had completely soaked his entire blade.

“How long have we been in this place?”

He checked the digital clock on his bracelet. “Nine hours?” Nathan swallowed in surprise.

“According to my calculations, you have killed about 21 monsters. It shouldn’t be long before we meet the boss, Master Nathan. This is truly impressive, considering this is only your first dungeon expedition.” Luna said enthusiastically, even though she no longer looked as cheerful as before.

Nathan nodded at her statement. He smiled, then confirmed his condition through the Hunter Device on his left wrist.

[Blue Bar (Mana): 50%]

[Green Bar (Energy): 10%]

[Yellow Bar (Will Power): 20%]

“With this status, I won’t be ready if I have to face the Boss immediately.” Nathan paused, thinking for a moment.

“I’m going to rest for a while.”

Nathan checked his last status, then considered allocating his available stat points.

“Hmmm…” After thinking for some time. “Okay.”

[6 Stat Points -> Strength]

[2 Stat Points -> Dexterity]

[1 Stat Points -> Agility]

[2 Stat Points -> Constitution]

[1 Stat Points -> Stamina]

Nathan smiled and muttered under his breath, “Status.”

[Status]

[Name: Nathan Gardner]

[Race: Half Human]

[Age: 15 years-old]

[Class: None]

[Title: None]

[Level: Unranked Lv. 7]

[Exp: 150/152]

[-]

[Strength: 30]

[Dexterity: 20]

[Agility: 20]

[Magic: 21]

[Constitution: 20]

[Stamina: 40]

[Stat Points: 0]

[…]

“Do you have an Obsessive-compulsive disorder, Master Nathan?” Luna chuckled, seeing his latest status display.

“Huh?” Nathan looked at Luna. “Ahh, this one?” He pointed to the digital screen in front of him.

“I don’t know, maybe? I just like it when the numbers look neat like this,” Nathan smirked.

Nathan looked for a dry place, then sat down and leaned back.

“I just need to recover my stamina for a bit. Do I still need to activate my Magic Detection?” Nathan considered all the possibilities and risks that resting in the dungeon would entail.

“Okay, I will activate Magic Detection. I don’t want to let my guard down in this place when no one can help me but myself.”

Nathan activated his Magic Detection. At level 5, the skill can be activated continuously, although the stamina and mana drain is also not small.

It was a good thing he had Magic Detection on, because after resting for only a few minutes, he felt something approaching him.

Nathan immediately stood up and jumped away.

“Accel!”

He ran just enough to keep his distance from the figure after him. And at that moment, he managed to recognize the monster’s figure.

A human, no, a monster that stood as tall as a human’s body. A rat with a humanoid form.

[Rare Swarm Rat Warrior Lv. 17 (Boss)]

At that moment, Nathan realized that the opponent he was facing this time was the boss of this dungeon.

“Can the boss in the dungeon leave his territory, Luna?”

“This is not normal. They should have just stayed until someone came to them.” Luna flew around Nathan’s body, looking panicked.

“Unless… Unless the place we’re standing in does fall into their area of dominance… And even though it’s very rare, some bosses have larger areas than usual.”

Nathan immediately took out a black sword and gripped it tightly in his hand.

The Monster Rat in front of him was also holding a sword. And as his name suggested, the Monster Rat was a fighter type. It was a warrior.

Nathan had to deal with a monster who also had the ability to fight with a sword.

[Blue Bar (Mana): 60%]

[Green Bar (Energy): 20%]

[Yellow Bar (Will Power): 20%]

It didn’t look good.

Nathan was caught completely off guard by the sudden approach of the boss. He wasn’t ready for the next fight yet. His condition had not fully recovered.

“What options can I take, Luna?”

“The only option you have is to fight and defeat the boss. You cannot run because he will chase.”

Nathan swallowed. He could run and return to the entrance, but he wasn’t even sure he could easily escape with his speed and stamina left. The dungeon passage was quite long.

[Nathan Gardner]

[Greed Meter: 73%]

“I think I know how to defeat him.” Nathan smiled at his high greed meter reading.

The boss strolled towards him. His hunched body made it look like he was only chest height. The look in his red eyes made him look even more threatening.

Without warning, the monster suddenly jumped up and charged at Nathan, slashing his sword wildly at him. 

Nathan jumped back and tried his best to predict its next attack while quickly blocking the attack.

One, two, three. Nathan managed to block the attack with his sword.

“Your fighting style isn’t as good as Edna’s!”

Nathan slashed his sword with a powerful force. He leaped back and, with the right momentum, managed to maintain his position. He took a quick breath.

He ran to the side. “Accel!!!” With the right momentum, he threw a slash, but the monster was also able to counter attack with brutal strength. 

“Tell me, Luna, how much experience can I get by killing this rotten rat?”

Nathan was completely focused, watching every move and attack he made.

“You can even level up by 3 or 4 times if you manage to kill him.” Luna floated frantically, trying not to disturb Nathan’s concentration.

“Really? Really? Really?”

[Nathan Gardner]

[Greed Meter: 85%]

“Master Nathan... Please stay focused, don’t let your greediness take over you.”

BAM!

Nathan received an extremely powerful attack from the Monster Rat. He could no longer withstand the monster’s power. His body was thrown back and fell to the ground.

“I’m trying really hard, Luna! I have to make this greed meter 90%-”

“Accel!!!”

He immediately stood up and dodged the monster’s attack.

Nathan jumped back and ran away.

“Say, Luna. What else can I gain by killing this monster?”

“Even though it’s only a slight chance, you might be able to get hold of the sword used by that monster.”

“Is that true? Really? Is that true?”

Nathan jumped aside when the monster caught up with him.

He slashed his sword, trying to withstand the attack.

His body was now covered in wounds, with sword marks on his shoulders and thighs.

“I can’t hold it!!!! I want your sword. Give me your sword!!!”

[Nathan Gardner]

[Greed Meter: 93%]

[…]

[Greed Meter: 96%]

[Forcefully activating Greed Empowerment 5th Skill, Energy Blast]

Nathan instantly felt an explosion in his heart. Energy spread wildly throughout his body, making him feel slightly stiff.

“Aeerghhh…!!” Nathan shouted wildly and quickly, slashing his sword repeatedly to block the attacks of the monster in front of him.

“Aerghhhh!!!” Nathan gritted his teeth against the pain that ran through his veins.

The sword he was holding instantly faltered, making the face of the monster in front of him clearly visible.

The rat opened its mouth wide, screaming that pierced his ears.

“Energy Blast!!!”

Nathan felt powerful energy exploding forth from the grip of his hand. He immediately threw his last slash. A flash of light shot out from his sword, causing him to cast a crescent moon-shaped energy.

SLASH!!

That powerful attack smashed into the monster with elegant grace and sliced him neatly in two.

[Nathan Gardner]

[Greed Meter: 55%]

[You’ve killed Rare Swarm Rat Warrior Lv. 17]

[You received 338 experience]

[Level Up]

[You received 6 stat points]

[You received 100 skill points]

[Level Up]

[You received 6 stat points]

[You received 100 skill points]

[You have cleared the dungeon. The exit portal will soon open for you.]

[You received 250 experience]

[You successfully cleared the dungeon for the first time trying.]

[You received 300 experience]

[Level Up]

[You received 6 stat points]

[You received 100 skill points]

[Level Up]

[You received 6 stat points]

[You received 100 skill points]

[Level: Unranked Lv. 11]

[Exp: 241/267]

And with his successful defeat of the boss, he was instantly inundated by a barrage of digital messages, which he had grown to really like. This also proved that he had managed to crush the opponent before him, the dungeon boss! 

The screen on the bracelet on his left wrist flickered rapidly. And from there too, could be seen-

[Blue Bar (Mana): 20%]

[Green Bar (Energy): 0%]

[Yellow Bar (Will Power): 0%]

Nathan felt his body stiffen, and he immediately lost consciousness.

11