Chapter 1 – Net zero life time.
87 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Yo bro. Did you know about this thing called NFTs. They are like the new crypto." My stoner roommate. He is one of the very few friends that i have. He trys to help me far beyond the expected level of effort from even my own family.

I used to be a successful business man owning stocks in many companies. After getting divorced and having half my net worth cut in half. From my deadbeat wife that had nothing to split other then her horrendous ugly drawings that she evaluated up to the thousands.

I would have recovered and could have moved on with my life. But after a series of unfortunate events. Like a sudden injury that wasnt covered by my insurance. A sudden lawsuit that needed under the table money or i would have spent years in jail. A stock rug pull that drained a major part of my money. And finally a forceful eviction that forced me to live in an apartment with three collage age roommates.

"What the hell are NFTs." I missed the crypto train. I had many opportunities to get bitcoin when it was 3-5k. I even had a wallstreet friend swear by his mothers life that i will make a profit. Everytime i think of that time. i grow green from regret. I could have been a multi-millionaire.

"They are images that work like crypto. You buy an image and you wait until someone gives you a buy offer or you set a sell offer. You know the monkeys that all the crypto bros have as their profile picture. Those are NFTs. their average price is around 5 thousand." Wait. If they are already that high in price. Why dont i invest. They are too big to fail and if the price does fall down. At most it would be a 60% lose. So i wouldnt lose all my money.

"If they are like that, then there is some potential. Thanks for the tip." I shake his hand and give him a half hug.

"No problem bro." He returns the hug and waves me goodbye. If someone saw this. They would find it odd for a 50 something year old man acting like a bro to a 20 year old kid.

I open my laptop and start researching everything about NFTs. Doing market research like my business degree taught me. Watching YouTube videos explaining the technology of how they work, looking up websites that explain what they are in even more detail.

------------

After a month of working as a fastfood cook. I finally started making a profit on NFTs. About 60 thousands dollars. A big goofy smile on my face, as i slip a slab of greasy meat between two buns.

On my way back to the apartment. I receive a call on my phone. Something that stopped happening years before. It seems to be from my roommate. Thats odd he never calls me, what could it be.

"HEY This is big news. The Government banned all NFTs. You cant buy or sell them any more." Wait does he mean they are ALL banned.

A few words later. I just run to the apartment. Not bothering to deal with it over the phone. An old lady screams at me, as i cut her off. parents hold there children back. As i run past them. Jay walking across the street. I finally make it to the apartment. All three of my roommates are huddled around a computer.

"Hey sorry man." A blue haired gamer type. my other roommate gives me a pitying look. The stoner just shakes his head in sadness. The third person a girl that just awkwardly gives me a nod.

I push them aside and look at what the hell they are talking about. A news article that says that the government has banned the use of NFTs of all kinds. Due to a large amount of scams and being an unproductive highly speculative market that is impossible to regulate.

This decision has been in the works since the last few week. As of last night NFTs are banned. Effective immediately. This article was 1 day ago. I run to my room and open my trading wallet. As i open the URL. The website shows a text that says that the service is no longer open. Underneath it there is a wall of text apologizing and explaining the reason that the website is gone.

a login section gives your wallet keys of what you already own. I open other websites that are based off other countries and when looking at the prices. My heart drops. If i sell everything i have right now, it would at most amount to a couple hundred. These all would have made tens of thousands.

I slam the laptop shut. I never thought it would reach this point. I have always lost alot of money, from bad luck or otherwise. But this was supposed to be my up and up. The time i was supposed to make my comeback. Now all my money is gone.

I spend the next two hours looking up to the roof. Unsure what to do to my self at this point. Never have i ever been so defeated. At such depth of rock bottom. I am now far to old to even make money from menial labour. Paying rent and groceries will eventually drain the last bit of money i have. Not even the minimum wage i get from my fast food job will be able to sustain me.

I am beyond fucked. Certain professional scandals burned all my old bridges that might have let me get a job in even a janitors position. I have no choice, but to end my life. Its the only choice left. I have no family, i have no prospects. I have nothing other then my basic level decency. Something that i am actively losing as the days go by.

I write my will. writing down all my private information. With some instructions to what to do to with my meager inheritance. I fold the letter and place it under my drawer hidden, for long enough for me to disappear. With the most of my affairs in order. I leave the apartment, leaving the house key behind. As my journey will not require me to come back.

The flickering waves of the ocean distort the light of the evening sun. Never have i ever seen something as beautiful. the lights eventually get darker and darker, as i sink to the bottom. My surroundings eventually turn into a complete pitch black void.

"Your time is not over." I hear a deep voice whisper directly into my mind. The plane of absolute darkness changes into a blinding light. I scream as the light singes my eyes. As i start adjusting, blurry green figures go into focus.

Trees and greenery. It looks like the untamed wilds that documentaries choose as their setting. A totally inhospitable wilds that people could get lost and die in. I shake my head left and right. Looking at where i am.

"Greetings. I am a split mind of the God of the hunt and prosperity. Yorgoth. I am here to answer your immediate questions. For your information this split mind is volatile and will dissipate in 9 hours. So take full advantage." A sharp small pain hits me in the top of my skull.

"What the hell happened, why am i here." Yorgoth? That doesnt sound like any god i know.

"You died, Rather then let your soul get devoured by a wondering void creature. I plucked you out of the stream of death to help me achieve my means. This world you are in is a rim world outside the control of many gods. I took you here to elevate its status and give my self a foothold in it. as you are from a technologically advanced world, you have possibility to accomplish it. I have no idea who you are. You being able to do that is a complete gamble. I also have no authority over you. You can choose to just live your life. but you have a whiff of my scent. So no other god will be willing to take you in. So if you choice to stake it out on your own or receive the support of God. It is your choice." This phantasmal being is jabbering about so many things in the speed of light.

"Slow down. I am barely understanding you." he sounds like hes on 2 times speed.

"Pay attention. In 9 hours i am going to disappear and never contact you again. As time goes on my memory will also get worse. This is the first and the last time you will have this opportunity.

"Okay, okay. Talk" I try to absorb as much as i can. The split mind keeps jabbering truths of the universe. as i try to keep up.

4