Chapter 8: The big day
235 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Hello there! It's a brand new chapter! Unfortunately, it's the last chapter I had written ahead so the releases can much more irregular from now on. Nevertheless, I will try to post the chapters at least once a week. Now, about this chapter. It came out longer than I expected, over two thousand words. There was also a time skip, quite a major one. It was three years after all. But I didn't want to make this all-knowing genious baby bullshit that will make 6 year-old into a killing machine with immature mind. This chapter also contains some world building and family bonding, so overall I think it came out pretty well. Now that this overly long author-blabbering is over, please enjoy!

I'm now three years old. Not many thing happened since my birth, but I learned few thing about the world I'm in from conversations of my family and servants. This world's name is Eurydia and I'm in the country with feudal system named Vankreift kingdom 1 Totally not a rip off from "Dad is a Hero, Mom is a Spirit, I'm a Reincarnator". No, I mean really, it was a coincidence. I checked if Vankreift ment something and when saw the results it hit me. Preety good manga though. . My Father holds the peerage of a count and is managing the territory in the east of the country. As nobles, our family was granted it's own coat of arms and has various noble duties to uphold, so-called noblesse oblige. Aside from that as I wasn't able to go outside of the mansion, which is obvious because I'm three years old and a noble's child at that, I don't really know a lot of things.

I said that not many things happened in the span of three years, but it's not like nothing changed. I obviously can speak now and while my child body can't properly articulate words yet, I can roughly communicate. I can also read the common language that is, acording to Caligo's words, used across the whole world with some differences. These are obvious minor things, but just before I turned three, Scarlett, which is my father's third wife by the way, became pregnant with her second child.

Talking about children. Vasquez family has now five children, not counting the youngest which was conceived barely three months ago. The 1st son, William, is now 10 years old and is the heir of the family. He is intelligent and I heard he's showing some promises with using a sword. He also has fire magic affinity in addiction to neutral, which everyone has.

Evan is the 2nd son, he'll soon be 9 years old. While he is very shy, he is the holder of a innate skill! Caligo says that holders of innate skills are very rare and there is 1 to 10000 propability of one being born. Should I be called lucky, then? No, I don't want to sound conceited, but I'm deffinitely very lucky. I was reincarnated, met a goddess that loves me and has granted me a divine protection and I am a holder of my own innate skill. What would you call that if not lucky? Anyway, the innate skill seems to give Evan high physical ability, which doesn't suit his personality. He also has affinity with wind and earth magic.

The 3rd son is of course me. My stats progressed a little from when I was born, but not much. This is my status:

Name Christopher Vasquez Strenght 2(8)(hidden:25)
Race Human Agility 3(7)(hidden:30)
Age 3 Dexterity 1(5)(hidden:20)
Level 1 Inteligence 10(hidden:75)
HP 10 Perception 15(20)(hidden)
MP 150 + 100 (hidden:750+100) Vitality Vitality 1(7)(hidden:20)
Affinities [Light][Fire][Abyss(hidden)][Void(hidden)][Darkness][Neutral]
Skills [Mana Manipulation lvl.3] [Mana Reserves lvl.2] [Darkness Magic lvl.2]
Innate skills [Analyzing Eye][Concealment-EX]
Titles

[Reincarnator(hidden)][Divine Child of Primodial Goddess Caligo(hidden)]

My actual Strength and Agility had risen respectively by 1 and 2, that's not much. But what's important is that I learned how to use magic. Darkness magic is the only one I've learned and that's because it's the only one that is not too flashy from the ones I should be able to use. Because of that trait I was able to use magic without anyone noticing, I think.

Using the skill Concealment-Ex I faked my stats and I hid my titles, some affinities and the Concealment-EX skill itself so that no one would be suspicious of me when they steathly peek at my status. I made myself extraordinary, but not to much.

Mana Manipulation is the skill I learned with Caligo's guidance and it helps me to forcefully make mana bend to my will so that I can use some magic. I aquired Mana Reserves while using magic and it allows me to store more mana inside my body. In numerical values it stores 40 mana on level 1 of the skill and than the value rises two and a half times per level. So it's like, 100 on level 2, 250 on level 3, 625 on level 4 and so on. It means that on level 10 this skill allows to store over 150000 more mana than normal, it's a simple bu frightening skill. However Caligo told me that this skill is extremely hard to level up.

Damn I got sidetracked. Back to the children.

I'm the youngest son but there are still two sisters. The 2nd daughter of the Vasquez family is my pure blood sister, the adorable Kathline. She's only 8 years old but her face is growing to be more of beautiful, rather than cute. She doesn't have any innate skills, but she is rare case of having two opposite affinities of fire and water and she seems to be good at using them.
Now, the last one. I know that I have the eldest sister but I never met her. I don't even know her name. She's in the royal capital, living in the mansion of the Vasquez family with her mother Selena, which is the second wife of my father. That's all I know.

As I was sitting in my room, leaning over the magic book for begginers and thinking about all that, I was thrown back to reality by a voice from the side.

[-master? Young master?]

The owner of the voice is Martha. She has worried look on her face. I looked back at her.

[What ish it?]

[Are you okay? You were sitting still for a couple of minutes.]

[It's okay. I was thinking about when I'm going to meet my eldest sister.]

Martha made a little surprised expression.

[Ah, so it's about that. If I remember correctly, young master, you have obligation to attend children's ball held every five years in the royal capital for noble children in the age of 6 to 10. Young master Evan and lady Lady Kathline went there around two years ago. When you will attend in three years' time, perhaps you will meet lady Alice then]

There you have it, plot for the next time skip.

[Alice?]

[That your sister's name. You didn't know, young master?]

[No, I washn't told.]

Now that I was ejected from the trail of thought, I noticed that it was unnaturally loud outside and behind the door to. Normally almost nothing could be heard besides the maids occasionally passing by and chatting outside of my room.

[Martha.]

[Yes, young master?]

[Why ish it so loud today?]

Martha gave me a very surprised look.

[You weren't told by Lady Ellene?]

Apparently mother was supposed to tell me something.

[Tomorrow the priest with the Appraisal skill hired by Lord Anthony is coming here and you will get to know of your status. It's the so-called Revealing Ceremony. You really weren't told, young master?]

[Really.]

(Caligo.)

{Oh, you finally talked to me, dear. You were so much lost in your thoughts earlier that I looked away and didn't notice what you want to ask about.}

(Sorry, my love. What I wanted to know about is Revealing Ceremony. Apparently tomorrow it will be held for me. What is it for when I can already see my status myself?)

{Ah, that. You were able to see status from the beginning because it was directly imprinted by the god of your world into your soul when you were reincarnated. For normal souls they have to be given the information of their own status to be able to open it. That where Revealing Ceremony comes in. Everyone with appraisal skill can perform it, but the skill itself is quite rare. Priests all have appraisal skill because when they finish their training, the gods they serve bestow it upon them.}

(So it's like that. But if the skill is rare, wouldn't it cost a lot?)

{Priests have obligation to perform the ceremony on all three years old children for free. Among other things that is what they vow for during priesthood training. If it wasn't like that, the poorer part of the common people wouldn't know their own status.}

(It's free... But Martha said that my parents 'hired' the priest.)

{Maybe it's because normally the ceremony is performed in the temple of a god the priest serves.}

(Maybe... Still, why three years old children?)

{Because that'sthe age when all children have stabilized the mana in their bodies.}

(I understand.)

I jump down form the chair I was sitting on.

[Martha, take me to mother.]

[Certainly.]

I left my room while being guided by Martha towards the place where mother would be. Still, how does she know where mother is? She was with me the whole time. Is it some special ability that maids have? Or is it just Martha?

We arrived to the entrance hall, where my mother was standing at the center and skillfully ordering the crowd of maids. When we came closer, mother stopped talking to the head maid, a tall older woman named Clara with a long braided brown hair which is slowly turning silver.

[Hello, Chris cutie!](Ellene)

[Good morning, young master](Clara)

[Good morning mother, Clara.](Chris)

[Why so distant Chris? Please call me mommy!](Ellene)

[No... itsh embarashing.](Chris)

Mother looked at me playfully.

[Hmm... Then, would you like me to call you Chris or Christopher?](Ellene)

I don't care about the others but if it's family, then...

[...Chrish.](Chris)

[Then...](Ellene)

{Why not just call her mom.}

[Mom.](Chris)

[Yees?](Ellene

She hugged me.

[I asked Martha about the commotion and she explained me the Revealing Ceremony.](Chris)

Her smiling face cramped and it's place took a huge 'AH'.

[Ahhh! I'm sorry Chris cutie! You're the star here and you didn't know anythinggg!](Ellene)

That's exactly it.

[Something unexpected came out and it completely slipped out of my mind! You see, the priest that was going to perform your Revealing Ceremony got injured badly and because of delay, a higher-up had to sustitute for him because the rest of priests was occupied. And this higher up happens to be the bishop Tereus that got me and your dad to marry!](Ellene)

That's unexpected. But it's good, right?

[Ishn't it good?](Chris)

[Yes, in fact it's great, bishop Tereus is a good friend of my family. But because of changes we had to change the entire venue, after all our guest will an important personage of the Church of Olympians! Because of all that I forgot about you, I'm very sorry sweetie.]

[Itsh okay, I got to know about it in the end.](Chris)

(Church of Olympians? Sounds unnatural.)

{Yeah, I agree. Olympian gods, or rather Zeus isn't a great name giver. All of his numerous children were given names by their mother's. Moving on to Church of Olympians, it's an organisation that focuses on maintaining connection between the races and the gods and I must admit they are doing it quite well. The current pope is a good man. Though it's this church that is partially responsible for the state of partial oblivion that the world is in when it comes to primodial gods and some titans.}

(Partially? What are the other reasons?)

{Honestly? Mostly ourselves, primodial gods. We live too long, we feel time differently. The generations of humans live their lives and die between our two contacts with mortals.}

How unexpected.

(Well, the time doesn't seem to have affected you, Caligo. You get lonely when I don't talk with you for a day.)

{Chris! It isn't like that! Hmpf!}

Cute.

(Sorry, sorry. But still, humans simply forgot about their existence. What about long lived races, like elves?)

{Well, I guess some of them still remember primodial gods. Surely none of them remember me though. Only some ancient dragons have a chance.}

(You'll never be lonely again though. I'm here.)

{How sweet of you.}

As always, I got sidetracked. Now what should I do? I got out of the room, found out about tomorrows event and now I'm standing in a bustling crowd of maids. I didn't know until now that my family has this many servants. Around twenty, I think?

Now that I think of it, I didn't eat anything since morning. Since I'm alreadry here, maybe I will eat with mom?

[Mom.](Chris)

[Yes, Chris cutie?](Ellene)

[I'm hungry, would you like to eat with me? Or are you busy?](Chris)

[Oh, of course I would sweetie, it's almost time for lunch, actually! And don't worry, the little amount of work that's left can be done by Clara, right?](Ellene)

[Certainly.](Clara)

[You heard that. Then shall we go?](Ellene)

She said that as started heading for the dining hall.

[Wait mom, I have an idea. Can we eat in gazebo in the garden? It's warm outshide!](Chris)

[It's a great idea, Chris cutie! We'll do that. Martha, go to the kitchen and ask for something light for us.](Ellene)

[Yes, My Lady.](Martha)

When Martha dissapeared around a corner of the hall way me and mom left through the main mansion door and headed to the garden with mom's inseparable maid Sophia. When we sat under the gazebo, Sophia has gone of somewhere but she quickly came back pushing the tray with the tea brewing set. Not long after Martha arrived while pushing similar tray, this time there where all kinds of delicious looking salads, some white grilled meat and both white and black bread on it.

Mom got green salad, something which looked like caprese and some meat with white bread. I ask Martha for the same with the difference of swapping the green salad with the one that has strawberry look-alikes in it.

We ate while exchanging some playful words and appreciated the delicious food.

[That was delicious, mom.](Chris)

[Yes. Our cook is the best in the county after all. What will you do now, sweetie?](Ellene)

[I will go to my room, I started to read the book about magic and I want to finish it.](Chris)

[You're reading something difficult like that now? You really are extraordinary. That's my little genius.](Ellene)

[Please don't shay something like that, mom. Save the talk about me being exhtraordinary for tomorrow.](Chris)

Mom looked at me with pretended exasperation.

[You don't even sound like a child. When I talk with you I feel like I'm having a conversation with an adult.](Ellene)

[What should I shay... thank you? I'm going to my room.](Chris)

[See you on dinner, Chris cutie.](Ellene)

I go back to the mansion and then to my room with Martha.

I finish reading the book about beginner magic by the dinner time and after eating I come back to my room to sleep. Martha changes me into sleepwear and covers me with sheets comfortably.

[Good night, young master](Martha)

[Yes, good night, Martha](Chris)

(Good night, Caligo)

{Sleep well, my dear.}

Yes, I must sleep. After all, tomorrow is a big day.

3