Chapter 2: the isekai trope
127 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eventually she puts me down and I take a step away and look up at her face. 

“So, do you know how we got here? Or even where here is?” I ask her with me still bouncing in place with excitement at the possibilities.

“Yes, I do. That’s why I came to meet with you in the first place.” she answers back, a lot calmer than I’m being right now, before continuing.

“You know the isekai trope?”

“YUP!” I say excitedly. “OOOH! Is that what’s going on? We got put into Arcadium? That’s SO AWESOME!” 

At this point I’m positively sparking with excitement, and probably a lot of electricity since the constant crackle that surrounds me got louder.

“Yes, that is in essence what has happened. There are a bit more of the specifics that I need to inform you of, as well as ask you about.

For starters, you know that my and the other developers' characters are the gods of Arcadium in the game lore?”

“Mhmm!” I nod along.

“You see, me and the rest of the team awoke about a week ago and found out that we had become the gods.”

I don’t really think too much about it, but I nod along anyways.

“Well, we had to manually fix a lot of the problems that occur when a game becomes a world. That took a bit of time.”

“I bet.” I say as I continue to speculate on what the future brings.

“Do you have any idea what was in your inventory? It took us sooooo long to figure out what was wrong with it, that we just ended up deleting everything in it.” she says with some exasperation seeping into her regal voice.

That causes me to pause. They deleted my items? They deleted everything I have spent YEARS on making!!!

“YOU DELETED MY STUFF!!!!! I WORKED FOR YEARS TO MAKE THEM!!!” 

The lightning coming from me increases with my anger, and starts damaging the ground next to me.

“Calm down for a moment. A lot of the stuff in there was either a physical impossibility, or dangerous to the existence of the world, like you Boomstick that multiplied damage done with it by a factor of infinity. If that thing so much as touched anything, the world would have ceased to exist in any meaningful way. 

Besides, it’s not like we didn’t make a copy of it since we would like to figure out what was so wrong with it.”

Her calm demeanor and rational explanation helps me to calm down a bit, but still leaves me annoyed at the fact that I’m missing my stuff. Instead of sending my lightning towards her, I simply huff and turn away from her.

“Don’t be like that. We had to do it, and you can probably get your stuff back once we figure out what’s wrong with it.”

I sigh exaggeratedly and turn back to facing her and say “Fine… At least let me know when it’s ready. And how do I use the inventory now that it’s not a game?”

As I ask the last question, I realize how to do it. “That easy, huh…”

Before she can respond to my realization, I run over to the tree I blew up and put some of the splinters in my inventory. It really is easy, I just have to will it to happen the same way I do with the lightnings. I flare up the sparkles around me at the joy I feel from knowing the possibilities this brings.

Once again I start to giggle.

“Don’t get lost in your own head now.” She calmly states behind me, causing me to slow down my giggles and turn to face her. 

“Fine… Continue on with your explanation.” I urge her to continue.

She then goes on to explain a few things like the fact that others have also been transported to this world. She also mentions that the other gods don’t know of me, since they didn’t write me into the game lore. Jokes on them, I put references to Anana in most of the items I submitted to the game. It also doesn’t really matter if they know of me, since I really only interacted with Danievil, and other art and modding enthusiasts on the forums. I guess I interacted with Davinium on a few occasions, but nothing major.

I kinda don’t really focus on her and she seems to realize it, as she stops to speak.

I take the chance to speak “Can I at least have a mirror and my staff?”

“Depends. Which staff and which mirror? I would need to make sure they can actually exist.”

“It literally has my name on it! Also, any mirror will do.”

A staff of a white shiny material, with a deep red dodecahedral crystal on its top appears in one of her hands. On top of the crystal is a spike of the same material as the staff.

Once I spot it in her hands, I can only think “MINE!” and I immediately jump and grab it. She doesn’t drop it, so I just hang from it. Annoying! I charge the staff with electricity and suddenly hear a loud pop. 

Immediately afterwards I fall to the ground, with Danievil shaking her hand.

“Damn. You sure pack a punch for someone so cute. That staff matches you perfectly, I must say. Both in style and ability.” She says whilst holding and rubbing the shocked hand.

“Of course it fits me perfectly! I made it for myself.” I quip back, feeling slightly proud of how well the staff looks in my hands.

As if to compete with my achievement, a different, much larger staff appears in her two right hands. It’s a combination of red and black and gives off the same feelings that the abominations and she does. This kinda eerie feeling that almost inspires awe in me, not quite though. 

The design does inspire some awe in me though, just not that feeling alone. She has this dark plus red theme going, with the occasional gold accents.

I kinda have to complement it, so I do “Wow, that’s a cool staff!”

“Thanks. The design is loosely inspired by yours actually. I saw it in one of your posts where you showed off Anana and got inspired to make my own. You have this whole red and white style going with Anana, so first I tried to recreate yours, but black instead of white, and it sorta evolved from there.”

I hold out my staff so that I can see them both at the same time, and I don’t see all that much in common between them. Mine is sorta minimalistic, whilst she has gone almost over to maximalism.

“Not much survived the evolution it seems. Suits your character perfectly though. Either way, can you take out a mirror? I haven’t seen my face yet!”

5