Chapter 16: Temporary Bodyguard
394 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After leaving the last village he passed through, Cheng Tian had picked up a temporary bodyguard service from a small family traveling to Holy Spirit Village.

His job was to ensure the safety of his clients during the journey ahead, especially near the border between Fasinuo Province and the Balak Kingdom, the most dangerous area of the journey.

In the Douluo Continent, most spirit beasts were found in large areas dominated by beasts, such as the Star Dou Great Forest. But beasts could be found all over the continent, and now and then, it was not impossible to find some of them on roads or in small villages.

Because of this, small families with more comfortable financial conditions in these areas hired the services of spirit masters when making more extended trips. These were the only professionals capable of fighting beasts over 100 years old.

But this was not the only problem. As Cheng Tian himself had experienced, humans could be far more dangerous than beasts.

Some humans would rob unprotected travelers on roads, which was terrible, of course, but not the worst. Other outlaws would do awful things, like enslave or even kill their victims, with results that could depend on the criminal, situation, day, etc.

So, while that family of three was traveling inside a wooden carriage, Cheng Tian stood next to its coachman, carefully observing the surroundings.

'There's nothing for the next three kilometers...' He thought about it amid his monotony, constantly using the sensory ability of his Sharingan to do this job.

"Young Madara, where are you from? I must admit that I have never encountered a young man as talented as you in these areas. Are you, by any chance, training on your own? Trying to get to know more of the continent?" The old man with white hair and beard asked the person at his side.

Cheng Tian was momentarily distracted and then replied. "Something like that..."

"I don't know exactly where I'm from since I'm an orphan. Other than that, I'm curious to know Fasinuo Province while I get used to my new situation." He laughed internally. "But I'm not as talented as you think... Some people my age are already at level 40, 45."

"Oh? But those are the greatest geniuses on the continent! You can't compare to them!" The old man replied without looking at Cheng Tian. "For ordinary people, a Spirit Elder can already be considered a mighty person."

"That's true..."

As the two were talking, a small window behind them opened, and a girl younger than Cheng Tian poked her head out.

"Brother Madara, what is your martial soul? My parents told me the village leader appointed you for this mission because you are quite strong, but why didn't you show your spirit until here?" She asked, remembering that some people had quarreled with them at the previous village exit. But on that occasion, Cheng Tian had only used his fists to solve the problem.

However, as a young girl curious about the spirit masters world, she could not help but ask that.

"Ning'er, don't bother young Madara. Don't you know that he is here to protect us?" Her mother woke up from her nap and tried to get her daughter to stop bothering the mercenary hired by her husband.

"No problem." Cheng Tian replied with a smile. "My martial soul is a fan."

"Fan? That's quite unusual..." The old man next to him commented under his breath, but since there were all kinds of martial souls in this world, he did not find it strange.

...

A few hours later, the group stopped to rest for the night.

Soon, Cheng Tian and the coachman were standing around the small temporary camp while the family ate their meal near a fire.

However, as they finished eating their portions, the black-haired young man suddenly left his position above that carriage and looked in a specific direction.

Seeing Cheng Tian's strange behavior, the coachman put his cigar aside and asked. "Is there a problem?"

Husband and wife looked at the young mercenary in anticipation after the coachman's profound question. Then they heard. "There is a small group of Nether Wolves coming our way..."

"It seems they have smelled the meat and are now hunting us."

"What? Nether Wolves?" Cheng Tian's client said in a worried tone since although this type of beast was usually not particularly strong, they were swift and were always in groups.

In the blink of an eye, the group of Nether Wolves reached the location of this group without attacking immediately, beginning to circle the surroundings as if searching for the weak spots of their victims.

Seeing the ten blue-eyed gray-furred wolves circling them, Cheng Tian remained calm as he pondered what to do in this situation. "Those wolves are between 300 and 500 years old. But considering their numbers and peculiar characteristics, I probably can't fight without my martial soul."

'On the other hand, using Madara's techniques is preferable for life and death moments. That's the only way I'll keep the secret about them in the long run.'

"Sigh..."

'I have no option. I'll have to show my martial soul to them.' He sighed as he made up his mind.

Father and mother embraced their daughter in fear, with that coachman in a fighting stance beside them. Then, Cheng Tian stepped forward and released his first martial soul.

The moment he did so, a black and white fan larger than his body appeared in his right hand, along with three purple spirit rings.

Seeing that, the four people were surprised, especially the old coachman, the only one there who was a spirit master, that is, who knew how ridiculous that was.

"Unbelievable! Is that possible?" He muttered in a low voice while holding his chin to keep from falling to the ground.

On the other hand, the beasts in the surroundings had become more careful after the release of Cheng Tian's martial soul.

Spirit rings had their pressure, something that could intimidate not only spirit masters but also beasts.

Obviously, this pressure only became more significant with high-level rings, but even 10-year-old rings carried something with them, even if it was insignificant.

But in Cheng Tian's opinion, those beasts had become more cautious too late. As a result, they were all within the limiting space of his third ability!

Genjutsu: Sharingan!

He first used an illusion to make those beasts lose their initial advantage in this confrontation. Next, he used something to suppress his energy expenditure.

"Third Skill: All Water Runs to the Sea!"

He pointed his fan toward the ground while several strands of energy grew from the sides of it, quickly moving and enveloping each of those beasts.

In the blink of an eye, each of the beasts in the surrounding area had their bodies connected to the parasitic threads of the black and white fan.

Some simply stood still where they were, tranquil as if they were in a dream. But others began to tremble with anger as they sensed what was happening, showing it in their fierce sounds and expressions.

"Au! Au!" Four of them finally jumped against Cheng Tian's group when that young man also made a more brutal move.

"Second Skill: Chaotic Winds!"

He moved to the side where his fellow travelers were, shaking his fan hard against the nearest beasts.

After sharp gusts of wind appeared there, cutting those rear beasts at many points, Cheng Tian took a deadly leap into the air, falling face forward.

He activated his first skill in doing so, preventing his clients from being narrowly injured!

"First Skill: Total Reflection!"

His first spirit ring glowed brightly until a strong spray-like gust of air left the white part of his fan, blowing the wolf that attacked him back tens of meters.

With this movement, only two conscious and uninjured wolves remained around Cheng Tian's group as this young man began to walk toward them.

The two wolves then trembled vigorously, but their tails ducked before they could attack him, and they turned to flee.

Seeing the enemy retreat, Cheng Tian used his Sharingan to check his surroundings. He then closed his eyes momentarily, smiling at what he had seen.

"Bold!" He muttered as he ran toward the hugging family while his fan went into his left hand.

At the same time, a gray blur passed in the air toward those three people, making the coachman break out into a cold sweat at what was about to happen there.

"NOO!"

"Golden Finger!"

...

8