Epilog 2: The return of the Empress
327 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The Sphenophyllia had been massive from the outside, more a moon than a ship and far larger than any construct had the right to be. Of course, the only glorious purpose such a magnificent world ship could have was the most glorious one of them all: Bureaucracy. It was a detour from their original destination of Terra but there was no way she was letting them leave the system without having inspected the practice aboard first. Some pitiful begging had been required, a worthy price to pay, and Mistress had enjoyed it quite a bit…they both had in truth.  
 
Mertha had to no one’s surprise not been super enthusiastic about touring the vast bureaucratic districts. That was the reason Serla was the one walking next to her, while Mistress was enjoying some ice cream with Nora and Darla on another part of the world-ship. Shamefully enough for the therapist,  Serla was only going to be walking her to a district where someone else was going to show her around. Apparently, mundane errands were more important than learning about the fundamental foundation of society. 
 
Drinking in the scenery as they walked Cleo studied the buildings. “I must say this architecture is interesting, was it newly constructed?” Most of the Sphenophyllia had very alien architecture, hell some parts were underwater to accommodate aquatic xenos like the Xa'a-ackétøth and Spectrum Jellies. These buildings however were clearly inspired by human designs, and as usual, intertwined with far too many flowers and vines. Did nobody appreciate unobstructed concrete these days?  
 
“I believe it is only a few months old. This and the surrounding districts were made to be familiar to the terrans brought aboard after the signing of the domestication treaty.” Serla did not sound at all as interested as she should have been. Still, it was interesting the lengths the affini would go to make their client species feel comfortable. And there were plenty of terrans walking around, some with their owners, others alone. 
 
Terrans…an old feeling of resentment reared its head when she thought of the word. Weak, pitiful, and utterly incompetent. That was the impression she had gotten each time she had visited the core sector. The center of a power that had spread itself so thin, complacent to let the edges fracture while feasting on the tribute of the outer sectors. Admittedly it was that complacency that had allowed her to get into the position of declaring independence. But still, had she been in charge there would never have been a chance of an upstart even thinking of such an ambitious plot, never mind carrying it out. 
 
She had to admit that she was in an irritable mood, which was surprisingly unusual. Maybe it was the blatant disregard for good bureaucratic practice among her friends, the return to a system that had brought her so much frustration…or maybe it was something else entirely. “Here we are…yes, I think this is the right building.” Serla said, a bit of relief in her voice. 
 
The reception inside was manned by an affini, lazily looking at their data pad. As they got closer, Cleo could see that the subject of observation was floret pictures, what else would it be? At least they did notice their approach. “~Hello, what can I do for you?~” The voice was overly cutesy <Your floret is very cute by the way.> they added in affini as their attention was solely focused on Serla. 
 
Serla smiled <she is indeed very cute, but not mine, just pet-sitting her for a friend. We are here because the little kitten here wanted to observe how the bureaucracy here worked. There was apparently someone that wanted to show her around?> Serla knew very well that she could understand every single word. The word choice was probably an attempt to annoy her…it was working.
 
“That is right! our guest! You can wait here in the lobby little flower, and your guide is one of our best bureaucrats and will be with you soon. ~So nice that you wanted to visit~” Straining not to roll her eyes Cleo accepted the petting vine but got out of its range quickly enough. 
 
Serla released the vine attached to her collar “you have fun, I will be back in a few hours. And hey, remember to behave.” Again a most sarcastic roll of the eyes was deserving of the situation. Instead Cleo mealy nodded and sat down in the waiting area, twiddling her thumbs. 5 minutes later a woman in a nice yellow sundress came from one of the elevators. Her brown curly hair was tied in a relaxed bun, a black and red gradient choker with moon cutouts around her neck…an independent....or, perhaps not. Something told Cleo that despite that this terran was not a floret, they were still owned by someone, perhaps another terran? 
 
For some reason the girl was slightly hesitant when approaching “H-hi, I am Luna. Are you Cleopatra Verina?” Was that disappointment in her voice? 
 
Who cared “yes I am, are you my guide?” Seeing some good bureaucracy in action would lift her mood, it always did. 
 
Luna smiled politely and nodded “indeed, just follow me and please do tell if there is anything you need. I was told you could contact your owner directly, but I also have her number should you need it.” What she needed was to get on with it. Free from the leash her pace was far quicker, Luna trying and failing to keep up on the way to the elevator. 
 
“Impatient?” The terran was already slightly out of breath. 
 
“Quite.” The reply was short and curt, leaving the rest of the ride to be silent. When they finally arrived at their floor, Cleo let Luna take charge and show her the way. Passing a few closed rooms they made their way to a large set of double open doors. Inside was less a room and more of a mighty hall. Rows and rows of desks stood spaced out on the huge floor. From the distant roof hanged elegant chandeliers and ‘sunlight’ entered through the curtained windows. The walls were flanked by great marble columns, an impressive display. For once Cleo could really admire the terran design, the might it projected…there was but one massive glaring problem. 
 
The Sphenophyllia was renowned as a center of bureaucratic activity for the whole of the terran protectorate. She had expected the cream of expertise and efficiency within its paper-filled halls. Yet the atmosphere clouding the room was one of…sloth. The majority of the workers were terrans, typing or writing away at a leisurely pace. The few affini were not much better, and instead of focusing on the vital task at hand all of them were talking jovially and without purpose. 
 
The disappointment stung…yet all was not lost. Inspecting their work could still prove fruitful, perhaps this was an especially relaxed day. Luna led her across the carpeted floor towards an unoccupied desk near one of the mighty columns “I don’t know quite what you want to see, but here.” She handed her a small stack of paper “what do you think?” 
 
Cleo looked over the first form…seriously? Was, was this it? The next one showed an equal lacking skill and systemization. Sloppy, unrefined, unclear, badly worded, incompetent! A mere 10 minutes of flipping through the papers had done anything but soothe her frustration. This was… “terrible…absolutely terrible. How long did it take you to do this?” 
 
Luna stared at her with a trembling lip “all…all of yesterday.” A whole day?! This?! A brief examination of the other ‘bureaucrats’, if they could even be called that, proved it was probably the standard, even for the affini. 
 
“Is this what you wanted to show me? Is this the best you can produce?” It was difficult to not raise her voice, so instead, she lowered it into a menacing whisper. Luna took a step back, her breath uneven and cheeks red, probably from embarrassment. 
 
“Is…is it really that bad?” How could one even think of asking such a question? Any fool could do better! Cleo took a step towards the frightened girl, she took a step back, her back against the marble pillar. 
 
“of course it is bad! And you are one of the best bureaucrats here? Ridiculous, one would almost think you have done this on purpose to insult me.” Wait…taking another look at the first form Cleo paused. This was not sloppy, it was intentionally sloppy. But why would anyone…Another look at Luna made the final puzzle piece fit. 
 
The labored breath, the crimson cheeks, the fidgeting, and squirming. She was afraid, yes…but also excited. “I see what is going on here…” She took another step forward, this time Luna had nowhere to go. “You heard that there was a Centhian bureaucrat coming here and knowing of our reputation, you asked to be my guide. Not because you had any want to show me good craftsmanship, which is clearly not present here.” A new but familiar feeling was welling up in her, a powerful feeling that grew stronger as the terran cowered before her. 
 
Cleo threw the worthless papers to the floor and pinned the terran to the wall with her arms blocking each route of escape. Luna made no such attempt, making instead a high-pitched whimper in response. “No…you wanted a competent, strict bureaucrat, a real bureaucrat to humiliate you. Show you how incompetent and pitiful you truly are.” Her prey’s cheeks had turned fully red, her thighs squeezing together. 
 
With what was closer to panting than breathing Luna answered, her gaze firmly planted on the floor “m-maybe…” The feeling was indeed familiar, power was as intoxicating as ever. Yet there was a difference this time, the entity she was dominating, smothering with her will…enjoyed it. 
 
Leaning in closer Cleopatra brandished an intimidating smile “I am sorry to say, you have gotten far more than you bargained for.” Hooking the choker with her middle finger, she dragged Luna across the floor. She had already attracted the attention of most of the people nearby, and striding confidently into the middle of the room brought the attention of plenty more. From their reactions, most if not all had known of Luna’s scheme.
 
When she was the most visible and certain to have the attention of the room, Cleopatra turned to Luna and dragged her closer “down.” It was time this and the other terrans learned their place. 
 
The girl’s eyes widen in realization “wait…your eyes, are you?-” Ha, what a clever little thing.
 
Cleopatra gave Luna a toothy grin “Indeed I am, now get down on the floor.” Letting out a much louder whimper, the utterly pitiful terran did as ordered. Prostrating herself on the ground before her. This was good, this was right. Now to deal with the others. 
 
The other terrans were a mix of reactions; some excited, some amused, others not that interested. “Listen up worms!” Her voice rang across the room, echoing off the walls. Having all of their attention, she drove her gaze over the masses, savoring as they withered and shrunk underneath it. “I came here expecting some type of excellence, lessons to be learned, methods I could use. I see now it was a great mistake to expect anything from you rabble. Instead, I find exactly what I should have expected: pitiful, weak, incompetent, and docile creatures. Not a single one of you would have survived a day on Centhia, not to speak of an hour in my bureaucracy.” To think that she had ever been concerned about Terra, they were not even comparable to her. 
 
Submissive squirming, bated breath, and tasty fear had replaced the dull atmosphere in the room. She was at its center and held it in the palm of her hand through the sheer force of her will. Using her right foot, Cleopatra placed it on Luna’s neck, pressing her into the ground. The whimper produced was the most beautiful music. “I regret that I did not have the time to conquer you, for had I tried there would not even have been a war. You, cowards, would have folded,” she pressed her foot down a bit more, producing yet another beautiful sound of utter submission “just like this piece of conquest underneath my heel.” There was no need to touch them, the terrans’ willpower melted before the radiating light that was her superior will. 
 
Then a vine tapped her on the shoulder, an affini smiled with some amused down at her “I don’t want to ruin anything dear but some of us do need to work, there is a room available if you two want to…” The words died in whatever the affini used to produce them. 
 
Cleopatra stared it down, practically feeling the confusion in its core “how many blooms are you?” There was no leeway in her words, the question was a command. 
 
The affini had obviously not expected this, its vines were wiggling and unwinding from its form “Fi-five…” Pulling on a stray vine Cleopatra brought the affini down to eye level. 
 
She pulled a bit more so she could stare down “five blooms and this is what you consider acceptable? This is not worthy of being called work, understand?” Another pull of the vine and the affini nodded. “Good, I am glad we understand each other. Now go grab that desk and move it to the back of the room where it has a full view.” As the terrans, the affini will buckled and broke when meeting her own. 
 
The affini stumbled over its words in confusion and fluster “why do you want my desk?” What a silly creature. 
 
Staring into the affini’s eyes Cleopatra saw it shrink even further before her “your desk? Firstly, there is nothing here that is not mine, neither object nor person. Secondly, you were not using it for anything, and I need a place to rule from. Now go do as you are told.” She let go of the vine and the affini stumbled backwards…then walked over to the desk and began to move it. What an obedient xeno. 
 
After taking a moment to savor the fear in the room, Cleopatra looked down at the companion dress she was wearing. That would not do “you!” Her gaze pierced an affini that had quietly moved towards the exit, they stopped dead in their tracks. “Go get me something better to wear, you will find it in the nearest compiler.” A far more appropriate outfit was ordered through her implant. “And you!” Her eyes fell upon another affini, her vines beginning to squirm “I need refreshment, bring me a good red wine. And not some compiled garbage, I want something real and refined. On the double, if my throat is sore by the time you return….” She let the threat hang in the air.
 
With a clap of her hands, the servants got into motion, eager to do her bidding. “To the rest of you, it is time you were re-educated as to deserve to stand in my presence. I expect nothing but utter obedience.” Her word had already become law here, and stars it felt good! Her rule over the totality of the Accord might have been derailed, but this place…this place was ripe for conquest. 
 
“And you” finally lifting her foot from Luna’s neck, she pulled the terran up “will be by footstool and personal servant. If you listen well you might well learn a thing or two, but do not concern your mind with that too much. Your primary purpose is to serve and worship. Understood, mutt?” She gripped the terrans face, savoring the look of pure submission in her eyes. 
 
“Yes…” The servant was looking for a fitting word, it would be best to help her overheated mind out. The first title that came to mind was president, but no. That was a title from a different time and had the ridiculous insinuation that her power was based on public consent. Queen was better, but no. Her power was not the mandate of any lowly gods, and the mere thought that her power was given to lesser nobles was laughable.  
 
Cleopatra found the word and smiled, Luna squirming beneath her grip “Empress, dear. That is what I am.” A dominant and unquestioned ruler of the world, power incarnate, better than any god. That was exactly what she was at this moment. Luna swallowed and nodded. 
 
Her next words were weak but O’ so wonderful “yes empress.” Empress Cleopatra did not hesitate for a moment before stealing a long kiss from her conquest. She had missed having power, but this time it felt better than ever before. There was no grand purpose, no vital goal, and no responsibility. It was the intoxicating feeling of power unclouded, pure, and perfect. She wanted the world, and it would bow, squirm and submit before her. 
 
------------------------------------------------
 
Serla stretched her vines as she walked down the street. With her errands done and a couple of plushies ordered for her precious florets for good measure, it was time to pick up Cleo. The little troublemaker had probably spent the last 5 hours drooling over ink-filled paper, what a dork. She had nothing against bureaucracy herself, especially when it could be used in more…spicy manners. But resource allocation and form organization were very overhyped in her opinion. 
 
Maybe her opinion was slightly tainted, the last couple of weeks of work had drained her more than she would like to admit. So many terrans that needed help, her schedule had been booked to the brim and beyond. This vacation was sorely needed, spending some time relaxing with her precious belongings on terra was what she had longed for. And instead, they had needed to stop here due to Cleo’s persistent begging and the need to fill out yet more dirt-darned paperwork.
 
At the very least the kitten was likely to be in a better mood now. Based on her adorable tail movement and ear flickers she had been more than a little annoyed. If she was somehow still in that mood a few head scratches behind those adorable ears would do the trick. Listing to those happy purrs would be a welcome way to destress after all the paperwork. 
 
Entering the reception, she spotted a cluster of maybe a dozen affini discussing amongst each other in worried tones. Another affini was lying in a pile of vines on a sofa nearby, their biorhythm a confused mess of emotions. <Excuse me, is there something wrong?>
 
 ¨The receptionist from before separated from the group, relief in her tone <thank the Everbloom you are here…you are here to pick her up right?> ….dirt, what had Cleo done now? She had been so behaved lately, hopefully, it was not too bad. 
 
Things still did not add up, there was nothing the powermonger could have done that the affini present could not have handled. <can you explain what is going on? What did she do?> The receptionist's vines squirmed in embarrassment.
 
<Well…she won’t leave, and neither will the others…maybe it is best if you see for yourself.> That explanation did not make the situation any clearer in the slightest. The last suggestion was a sound one, and there was no real reason to worry. What was the worst thing that could have happened? None of the other affini joined her in the elevator…fair enough. 
 
When she reached the floor where Cleo was supposed to have had her guided tour, she noticed there was something wrong almost immediately. The biorhythms in the air…they were not what they were supposed to be for a calm office locale. On the way, she passed two terrans hauling stacks of paper, both in a hurry and…what in the Everbloom?! 
 
The two terrans were immediately forgotten. The huge room was almost entirely quiet. The only sound was scribbling pens, rapid typing, and a sole voice speaking clearly from the other side of the room. A very erotic sort of fear permeated the air, with one notable exception again coming from the back of the room. Crossing the floor with long strides, the passionately working terrans…and affini, what the? spared her only a curious gaze before returning to their work. 
 
The source of the disturbance was obvious, but as she got closer to the end of the room she was once again taken aback. Sitting behind a large desk, on what looked to be more a throne than a chair was Cleo. Her colorful dress was gone, a tight-fitting pitch-black suit with a blood-red tie and equally black pants having replaced it. Her red hair washed down her back and shoulders like a crimson waterfall, the red further complimented by the thin and tall glass of red wine in her left hand that she was sipping delicately. Her tail was swishing back and forth as she talked with a terran, keeping a finger underneath her chin to keep them from looking down. At least Cleo was still wearing the collar…though somehow it did not shatter the image of someone in full control. 
 
The aura radiating from her supremely confident composure was completely unlike anything Serla had ever seen. “Cleo, what is going on? what are you doing?” There was no way she had not seen her come in or approach, but Cleo still acted like it was the first time she noticed her. 
 
Dismissing the terran with a flick of her finger she turned her attention to her. “That is Cleopatra to you, maybe something different soon. And for what I am doing? Teaching these people about a well-functioning bureaucracy. Is that not right dear?” 
 
A terran that Serla could not see but from the sound was underneath the desk answered. “Yes Empress, thank you Empress.” Followed by a whine and then a whimper. 
Empress? Had the world gone completely mad? “I have no idea what is going or what you think is going on. Either way, you are coming with me.” Serla was about to attach a vine around Cleo’s collar when something happened. 
 
Cleo looked at her, stared straight into her eyes. They were not hard and cold like the first time they had met, nor were they soft and loving like usual. Instead, there was a pure sort of lust, one that transcended greed and erotic wishes. It was want, and an iron fiery will to fulfill that endless want. They radiated a power of utter control, utter dominance. And something inside her core shifted. 
Serla was not sure what, yet the new feeling grew with each second that she stared into Cleopatra's eyes. Her vines began to grow weak and the authority that she believed she had commanded mere seconds ago was gone like fog before the sun. “I don’t think you understand your position here Serla, this is my domain, here my rules apply, my will.” Before any reason could comment the words felt as true and intuitive as any natural law. But…but this was ridiculous, this was not how anything was supposed to work. 
 
Stuck on the spot Serla made no reply, Cleopatra took that moment to stand up in the chair and walk up on the desk, sitting down at its edge “kneel.” The force and confidence in her voice was absolute, as she was dictating the state of the world rather than giving an order. But there was no way that she would ever kneel for…The voice of protest in the back of her mind was interrupted as Serla noticed she was now at eye level with the human. “~Good affini~” A warm feeling bloomed in her core, and with it, the new feeling grew tenfold. 
 
“I…wha…” Her words were not working, her eyes were clued to Cleopatra’s. What was going on? Why was she acting this way? None of this was right…so why…why did it feel so good? 
 
A delicate hand beckoned her forward “come here, and do not worry about speaking for now.” Without a second thought, she came closer, until the hand could reach underneath her chin. “There you go…You affini are so proud but…” a small loving sigh came from her lips “you are really adorable sometimes.” Again that warm feeling spread from her core and throughout her vines, ending with a smile on her face. 
 
Wait! No, this was wrong! She was not like this! The reasonable voice got a hold of her once more and she tried to pull back. Her vines could bend metal, Cleopatra had problems with slightly heavy objects. Despite this objective fact, the grip around her chin was inescapable “Stop that, Behave.” The attempt was canceled in an instant, her head once again resting against the terrans tiny hand. “There we go, no need to let that pride stop you.” 
 
The hand guided her to look up, into those brilliant eyes once more. A comforting and possessive smile formed on Cleopatra’s face “I want you to sing for me.” Sing?.... “That is right, sing. You affini make such beautiful sounds, and I want to hear exactly what is happening inside your right now.” The urge to do exactly what the gentle, convincing words told her was strong, too strong. 
 
Her core began to hum louder, and louder, until its vibrations filled the air with sweet, submissive music. All the way she was being held in place, Cleopatra staring down at her adoringly, hunger in her eyes. The hunger was so tempting to be swallowed up in, to let dominate, to give every rein and ounce of control. “~You make very beautiful sounds~” she could not just say that itwasunheardofaghhhh. “Shhhh, there is no need to be embarrassed. Even the big and strong need to be small and soft sometimes.” The hand guided her even closer, right up to Cleopatra's lap. 
 
There was a clear insinuation of what she wanted her to do, but… “you have been very stressed lately, haven’t you?” She had…. “I can take care of you for a while, it is the least I could do after all you have done for me. But I still want you to ask.” The last bits of resistance, the tiny voice that had not been drowned in the submissive need tried to hold back. She was an affini for star's sake, Cleopatra was a floret…this was not…this… “all you need to do is ask.” The words snuck inside her core and stayed there, growing, smothering the last of resistance. 
 
“Please…” An eyebrow was raised expectedly, waiting for her to finish….fuck she was glorious “please…Empress.” The release was almost instant, the words themselves feeling ever so good to say. Like she had been holding back a secret that she could not finally confess to. 
 
A hand was placed on the top of her head and guided her down, the Empress’s lap was small but more relaxing than she could ever have imagined. There was a being taking care of her, a being far more powerful than herself. Her form had begun to lose all composure, melting into a mass of vines and a head resting in Empress’s lap. 
 
The hand began to stroke its fingers through her vines “~good affini~ Is this not wonderfully relaxing?” Serla needed to respond but the words about not needing to speak still echoed in her mind, so instead she continued to sing. It was beautifully relaxing to let her emotions flow out, unfiltered and free for Empress to soothe. A gentle fuzz began to grow in her core, making her thoughts slow and warm. 
 
“Awwww, so adorable…You know, I am glad things turned out the way they did but…is this reversal not a tantalizing view into what might have been? You would make a wonderful prize of conquest.” More warm feelings made her biorhythm vibrate with extra strength. “You agree, how utterly precious.” The pets and affection continued, the fuzz growing into a pleasant fog. It was so nice….Empress was so comforting and…and….
 
A loud snap woke Serla, her core and form feeling supremely confused. Her head was still resting in Cleo’s lap…wait had she? Oh Everbloom what had just happened?! “Had a good nap?” The voice was markedly different, the force and overpowering domination mostly gone. 
 
Serla raised herself so fast her form almost did not form legs in time to balance her. The feeling from before still lingered but was slowly ebbing away…a tiny part of her knew it would never fully go away. After a short chuckle, Cleo stood up and stretched “I take that as a yes, I need to go change and then we should leave. Mistress is probably getting worried. Luna, come with me.” 
 
A terran woman stood obediently next to the desk “yes Empress.” The word sent a shiver down her vines. Had she said? Had she? Nowhatshecouldaawhgatthedirtwsashe! The memories flared through her mind again and again as she waited. 
 
Luckily Cleo and Luna spent a bit of time in the side room getting Cleo changed. Allowing Serla the time to reconstitute and recompose her mind. Once Cleo came out, now back in her companion dress she seemed slightly out of breath. Luna did as well, her face a deep crimson. Cleo gave the terran a kiss on the cheek “I will be in touch puppy, don’t you worry. A good empress takes good care of her subjects.”
 
Luna responded with a slight whimper before kissing Cleo on the finger “I will wait for your word Empress.” Nothing but total devotion in her voice. 
 
They spoke little on the way back. And what the dirt was she supposed to say!? It was hard enough to even think of what had happened. Could she even look Cleo in the eyes after this? There was one thing that needed to be prevented, by any means. Building up her composure once more she stopped Cleo…that she only now realized had been walking without a leash, a fact she quickly fixed. “We need to talk.” 
 
The demon smiled mischievously, obviously in very high spirits “about what?” The temptation to break the little kitten’s brain with xenodrug-induced pleasure was growing more and more tempting. 
 
“You know what! Nobody can know, you understand? Nobody.” If this got out…people would not judge her, but her reputation would be in tatters. And What would Nora and Darla think? 
 
Cleo continued to smile “I am not allowed to lie but I can try my darndest to keep this event between the two of us…on one condition.” Blackmail, why was she not surprised? “That when you are stressed you allow me to…help you relax just as I did today.” Wha….she could never- For a split second the eyes of the Empress revealed themselves and that submissive feeling grew before she could stop it. 
 
“Fine! But not a word.” The loving and warm eyes Cleo usually possessed returned, her tail swishing back and forth happily….how something so undeniably evil could simultaneously be so inexcusably cute was a mystery affini science would never solve. 
 
They continued to walk, the park where Mertha and her florets had lounged revealing itself. The last couple of meters a horrifying and horrifyingly tempting thought entered her mind. It went against all facts of the matter, the terrans had never stood a chance. But still…the image of an affini submitting at Cleopatra’s feet felt remarkably possible. 
 
Mertha, who was sitting on a bench next to a sleeping Darla and Nora pile, spotted Cleo called out. The second the leash was removed Cleo ran and jumped into her Mistresses’s waiting vines. It was a beautiful sight of a floret and her owner, nothing but pure love and submission in Cleo’s eyes. To think that such an adorable creature could ever be a danger to anyone was impossible. Still, Serla could not help but feel that the universe had dodged one hell of a bullet. 
 
9