Prologue 3
26 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello,

Sorry for taking way too long to make this chapter.

School just started, and work started to become more hectic as well. The good thing is that I got a new car!

Fortunately, I should be able to make more chapters regularly now.

Thank you for your patients!


 

January 8th, 2050

A week has passed since the world ushered a new ear.

Despite all the discrimination, separation, or differences between the human population, people began to band together to protect themselves and those they cared for.

It was easy to see with your eyes how quickly humans adapt to situations, whether it's good or bad. Individuals, groups, towns, or even whole communities were quick to make or destroy the relationships between each other. Wariness was an attributed fact in the new world where the people were no longer strongly protected by law.

The world is ending, the world is collapsing, my life is ruined, and the world is cold is a sentiment that millions worldwide feel. For some, many chose to kill themselves, for they convinced themself the world was no longer as welcoming as it once was to them. Or they dwelled in the crippling depression of the situation. They hoped for companionship with the people around them for a better future.

Unfortunately, the world is never white and black, for you can never expect what a cornered beast will do. Where many found themselves wanting companionship with others to fight against the cards they are dealt. Just as many found a new side of themselves, unshackled by the social and political expectations. they found themselves falling into or even embellishing the depraved or degenerate actions they once thought impossible.

Although not widespread, the spike in crime was evident because the governmental control was currently in a recession due to both losses of faith and authority over the people. Murder, stealing, rape, and aggravated assault are just some crimes that have become much more commonplace.

The government has decided to start making 'social holdings,' basically, communities that will be dictated, financed, and protected by the 'old' government. Many went to social holdings due to the promised protection of laws.

Despite militaries around the world's best efforts, the zombie pathogen spread quickly and had deadly effects on both the host and surrounding individuals. The approximate count affected has passed 4 billion organisms worldwide, including people, insects, domesticated animals, and wild animals.

People situated next to the null zones have the worst of it due to the environmental, medical, and physical dangers around them. Even after surviving a magnitude 9-11 earthquake, they were suddenly afflicted with a massive headache, falling debris from buildings around them, and zombies walking around trying to devour them. To make matters worse, they couldn't even trust other humans around them, for all of them in the area are now desperate to survive.

The situation in the areas farther away from the null zones found themselves in a strange position. Currently, the case has not affected their lives due to the lower magnitude of the earthquakes and the associable low amount of zombies. Unfortunately, they are not in the clear because the zombies seemed to be nomadic and spread, and every day the number of zombies spreading around is increasing slowly but surely.

Although this is true, they find themselves in a better strategic position because they have time to make defensive strategies. They could make communities and communicate better due to service still working in the area.

The world was brighter the further you were from the null zones, as if the null zones were beacons of depression sucking the happiness from the world around them.

---

"The vault is ready to be filled with people."

As everyone in the room heard the words, it was as if a boulder on their back finally crumbled. Although not expressed excessively, you could hear sighs of relief and small comments from people whispering with each other stating their happiness with the situation.

"Thanks to everyone's enthusiastic help, we quickly procured enough food, clothing, and water to live comfortably for the next five years. We will allow everyone here to enter in 12 hours; thank you for your patience". After she stated her last words, she closed the file in front of her and picked it up.

Unlike the calm, composed, and practiced actions she had shown, the room around her suddenly became more heated after her last sentence. The happiness turned into confusion and traced an amount of rage as if a treasure was just taken from them. 

As if knowing this would happen, the lady out front of the group of 50 past senior researchers of LuxX was not fazed by this anger and waited till the room calmed down. Before leaning a bit into the mic and asking, "Any last questions?"

Some brave fellows raised their hands, hoping to be the first to be called on for questioning. After a short moment of looking at the crowd, the woman finally chose one of the people for the already foreseen question she would be questioned about.

The woman that was called upon quietly stood up from her stool, and in the best professional voice she could muster, she asked the question on everyone's mind. "If the vault is ready for us to enter as you said, then why is it that was have to wait half a day to join?"

The woman in question was quick to respond, already having a practiced response in mind. "It was decided tha..."

---

One day before the announcement.

"In all respect, sir, but I don't think we have time to do this."

I looked at the board of directors in front of me; they all looked surprised or confused about my last request. I knew I would have to explain my thinking anyways, so I did not lose focus and quickly explained. 

"Although the vault currently will do good for protecting our lives, it does little else. We are researchers and need materials to continue our research; it doesn't matter if that research improves our living conditions or does little for us." As I said that, I looked around at the people around me, seeing as they were still not convinced I divulged more of my thinking.

"We are moving into a new era, with supernatural zombies and a hostile environment; this is a call for people to research, understand, and overcome these difficulties. Although this sounds corny, I do wish for a possible zombie cure that can save humanity from the pathogen. We can only do this with the equipment inside the labs. We will have plenty of space to put as much equipment as we want; our only concern is the growing number of zombies in the city and the surrounding area." 

This seemed enough to convince the people around the room about the suggestion but did little to lower their concern about the situation's safety. They have already stated that they only have one more day to prepare for the zombie hoard safely; they seemed unwilling to stay longer.

This suggestion to move all the equipment and past researched products to the vault would add at least half a day or maybe more to prepare the vault. Although this did not seem like much added time, everyone in the room was already wary and uncertain of their safety. they felt like they were tempting fate; just staying outside the vault made their skin crawl. They were unwilling to worsen an already difficult situation by prolonging their suffering.

Fortunately for me, they did understand that this suggestion had to be done whether they were willing or not. The equipment inside the lab is priceless in this situation, and they will regret not taking it in the future if they don't get it now.

"This is of utmost importance to be done, and I will not allow this to be pushed off. This will only take half a day to be done because while everyone else was getting living equipment, I was with a team getting ready for an equipment move two days ago. All that's left is for people to move the equipment to the vault. And electricians to begin connecting them to the vault system."

Everyone in the room processed this information for a moment and what the implications of it for a moment. It was a grave atmosphere, and the people around me gulped down for a moment before returning to the moment. 

I looked once more before stating, "For everyone in favor, raise your hand."

I smiled slightly when I saw the hands of everyone raising with grave expressions on their face. Their suffering may extend, but this was the storm before the calm to be seen, and the longer the storm, the greater the peace will be.

"Great, let's not delay any further." 


 

Present day

"Everyone! I will not speak for very long because we are already behind schedule. I need everyone to please get in two lines; one line will be comprised of people with family members and the other without. After I say to enter, I need everyone to walk into the vault, and you will be given the key to the individual rooms once inside."

As I said, I took one last good look at the people I will bring with me to our home underground for an indefinite time. In total, 80 people will be community members in the vault. The group comprises 32 senior researchers, nine head researchers, five department heads, four doctors, and their immediate family members.

After a glance around, I nodded and slowly gulped air. "Well then, I am happy to say you guys can begin to enter the vault; once inside, please stay in your lines till the vault door closes behind you. For your safety, please stay away from the red lines on the floor."

Before anybody could take a step toward the door, I made my final statement. "But remember going inside of the vault will mean living inside of the vault for an indefinite amount of years. There will be no sun to bask in its sunlight, no fresh air to breathe, and no plants to look at. Everything you may have taken for granted in life will become unknown to you, and life itself will become a mystery."

"Fortunately, I can assure you one thing inside the vault. Protection. Protection from the zombies, the enflamed human greed, and the ever-growing dangers outside. With everyone's help, we can all work together in the name of science to make a cure for the zombies, enhance our living conditions, and further our understanding of the world around us."

After saying my peace, I finally stepped sideways and raised my hand in a fashion as if inviting them to enter the vault door. "Together, we will make our path in this new unforgiving world."

Everyone picked up their stuff, which consisted of their necessities. And began to walk in a line towards the door. One by one, they began to pool inside the vault entrance.

Once everyone else was inside the vault, I looked at the sky one last time. It was now clouded with smoke and pollutants, which made the clouds gray, and the sky was dimmer than it once was. I sighed, and the situation and its importance finally settled in my mind.

I turned around and walked inside the vault making sure to stir clear of the inside of the red lines. Once inside the vault, I looked at the person controlling the vault door controls and nodded.

SFX: Loud gears turning and loud slam of a door

As the outside sunlight disappeared from everyone's sight, the interior lights of the vault kicked in.

Isolation.

Sometimes an individual's feelings can be felt by a whole group. The world outside is a new and foreign plan of existence to them now. It can no longer be called their home, for from now on, it shall only be a place of exploration for the future.

Most felt a sense of dread from the situation, but as much as they dreaded the isolation from the outside world, they relished it. There was no longer a shadow of death over their head; they were now protected and isolated from the world's problems.

For now, they have to calm down and relax. Because once we wake up, there will be no rest for the hard-working.

As for what I'm feeling, I'm melancholy thinking about what I've lost and who. All the repressed emotions from the past week have gone full circle, and now there is no reason to block them; my job is over. We are safe once again.

As I felt these emotions, I thought back to the moment that happened on the day my world ended.


 

one week ago

"... this meeting is over; remember the tasks assigned to you guys and finish them asap. The faster we can be safe, the better. For now, I want you guys to get your personal life back on track. I'll be back within the hour; I want to know any new knowledge about the situation after I'm back."

Everyone stood up from their seats and quickly dispersed into their offices to call their friends and family. I was not an exception because once inside my office, I impatiently threw myself on the office chair, hunched myself over, and started taping my toe sporadically.

I immediately contacted my father's Nuerolink to call him, hoping to know where my parents were to get them to my location hopefully. I knew they had to be together because they both went to that new year's party.

SFX: Ring tone

As I was calling, It quickly became concerning how long it took him to pick up the call. The Nuerolink made the call very apparent, so even if he were to be sleeping, he would be woken awake. Not immediately picking up the call made me very anxious in this situation.

SFX: Call declined

The dread amplified when the call was not accepted; it wasn't even a personal decline. The call had been automatically declined because of how long the ring was.

As if my seat had caught fire, I stood up so fast that my head became lightheaded. My hand rose to my forehead, and I quickly switched to calling my mom instead.

SFX: Ring tone

When I heard the first ring, a faint hope sprang, hopeful for a response. Unfortunately, there was nothing else for the next 30 seconds.

While I just stood there, listening, I froze; there was no world around me, anxious feelings, powerlessness, or hope of her pick up. The only thing that was part of the world was that god damn fucking ring.

SFX: Call declined

"..."

Nothing.

No thoughts were going through my mind. As if my brain had forgotten to think, no emotions were felt, no thoughts, no worries, no dread. But for only a moment had my brain gone clear.

The next moment was when the dam of emotions had broken, and the floods of anger and confusion swept my mind.

I felt lost.

Afraid.

And all the same, I was pissed!

"FUCK!"


Chapter Name: Vault

See you later!

0