0.3 Loving You For A Lifetime || Falling More For You
215 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On Friday afternoon 5 p.m. sharp, Lee bolted out of his office, not forgetting to threaten James to be sure to appear at Kusa Japanese Restaurant at 7 p.m. with one of his sisters. Or else.

Then as soon as he reached his apartment, he spent an hour having a shower, trying on different clothes - seven times, he counted - styling his hair, and pouring cologne on himself. Then when he realized he actually smelled like a cologne factory, he took off his clothes and had a shower. Again.

In short, he was a mess. He felt like a teenage boy going on his first date again.

Finally feeling and looking decent, he bolted out the door and took a subway to the nearest station to the restaurant. He had a car, but as they all would be drinking that night, he figured he should not be driving back.

But his face fell as soon as he saw James and his accompanying sister, both already waiting in front of the restaurant. James had brought Sandra, among all the sisters he could have chosen from.

 

       ( Sandra Han )

 

As soon as the young woman saw Lee, she waved enthusiastically and tried to hug him longer than what should have been appropriate for a normal greeting, even between friends. She tried to press her chest tighter to Lee as well, to which Lee tried to wedge his hand between their shoulders to keep a little distance from her.

After he finally managed to pull away, Lee pulled James aside, "Why Sandra? Idiot!"

James indignantly rebuked, "Hey, I didn't have a choice. Lisa is out with her husband and Sammy also has a date."

Lisa was James' oldest sister, who was already married. Samantha was the second oldest.

Lee glanced at the very brightly smiling Sandra, who was looking at him like he was prey. However, before things got more awkward, fortunately Jet arrived.

 

 Before things got more awkward, luckily Jet arrived

(Jet Tanaka)

 

Jet greeted the two men, "Hi Lee. Hi James." He then glanced at the young woman and forced a smile, "Hi... Sandra... ."

It was no secret this particular sister of James had been pursuing Lee relentlessly, despite the latter's clear display of indifference.

"No Mia yet?" Jet asked, trying to find another young woman who would look unfamiliar to him, but should already be acquainted with Lee and James.

Lee and James shook their heads.

"Who's Mia?" Sandra quipped.

Jet decided to ignore her, "Well, let's just get in first. Lee, text her to meet us inside."

Lee texted her.

 

As Lee sat at the end of the table they had been assigned to, Sandra wanted to sit next to him, but James tactfully intervened and sat next to him instead

 

As Lee sat at the end of the table they had been assigned to, Sandra wanted to sit next to him, but James tactfully intervened and sat next to him instead.

"Good job, James!" Lee gave James a subtle thumbs-up.

Sandra pouted and sat across James, next to Jet.

Jet started ordering some dishes and some sake1Japanese rice wine. The ABV (Alcohol By Volume) is usually similar to grape wine, circa 12-15% and shochu2Shochu is usually made from sweet potato. It has higher ABV, usually circa 25-30% (you can find higher ones, as high as 45%). For differences between Shochu & Sake, this article explains it pretty good for their meal accompaniment. Both him and Lee were pretty knowledgeable in Japanese food and drinks, thanks to their father's Japanese parentage. Then Lee's face brightened up as he saw a figure coming in the restaurant whose eyes darted around trying to look for him. He waved his hand.

Mia noticed him, then also noticed the grinning James. She waved back and walked towards their table.

James hastily stood to offer his seat to Mia before sitting by Sandra's side.

Lee gave a nod of approval towards his friend. "GOOD JOB, JAMES!" 

Jet stood, smiled at her, and offered his hand, "Jet Tanaka. Lee's older brother."

Mia smiled back, showing a row of white teeth, "Mia Simmons."

As Jet gave her a knowing smile while also throwing a teasing look at Lee - without releasing his hand from the young woman's handshake - Lee wanted to strangle his brother,

"[About time you release your hand, Jet.]" Lee hissed in Japanese.

"[What do you mean? What if she's interested in a doctor, not a lawyer?]" Jet teased back in Japanese.

Lee's face sank, "[She's mine.]"

Jet shrugged and finally released his hand from hers. Mia merely kept her smile and sat.

The dinner proceeded calmly, if not accounting the hostilely glaring Sandra, who constantly looked at Mia like the latter was the most offensive looking object on earth.

Jet moved a piece of salmon sashimi3Gosh, if you don't know this one... onto Lee's plate, "Again, happy birthday, bro." He then turned towards Mia, giving her a sage-like teacher look while also squinting his eyes slightly, "Lee LOVES salmon sashimi."

Lee groaned silently, "I want to kill this idiot." 

Mia giggled, and Lee's grievance towards his older brother was instantly forgotten. He felt warmth wash over him as she took another piece of sashimi and moved it to Lee's plate,

"Happy birthday again, Lee." She gave him the sweetest smile that Lee knew would haunt him in his dreams.

Lee immediately forgave and applauded his older brother, "Jet, I love you!"

"So Mia, what do you do?" James prompted.

Mia waved her hand and rolled her eyes, "Ah... you know... just normal boring corporate job... . What about you guys?"

"James and I work at a law firm two blocks down from CafeGood," Lee replied, not giving his friend a chance to steal his thunder.

Jet added, "They are lawyers."

Then he put his elbow on the table and held his chin, displaying his face at his best angle, "While I, am the friendly neighborhood doctor."

"[Back off, Jet.]" Lee snarled again at his brother in Japanese.

"Ahhh... so young, but you boys are already so successful," Mia lamented.

"Young? Boys?" James raised his eyebrows, "How old are you, Miss Babyface?"

"Hey!" Mia pouted.

"Oh God, I want to hug her soooo bad."

"I have a lot of grief at work because of this face, okay." She added, "I am turning thirty soon."

Silence befell the table. She was four years older than Lee. However, she definitely did not look her age. Jet coughed,

"What a coincidence. This year, I'm thirty too." He threw a teasing smirk at Lee. Lee wanted to punch him.

"What month?" Mia asked.

"April," Jet replied.

Mia stuck out her tongue, "Hah! Mine is February! I’m older." She mightily puffed out her chest.

Lee laughed. He bet he could not hide the adoration in his eyes as he dumbly looked at her. Why did she look so proud for being older?

Sandra, who was ignored all this while, snorted, "Old maid!"

James visibly glared at his sister. Jet did not know what to say either, although his gaze was reproachful. However, Lee was audibly furious, "Watch your mouth!"

Mia softly touched his wrist and shook her head, "Nah, that's OK." She then laughed, breaking the uncomfortable ice between them, "I am old!"

Lee looked at his burning wrist for a while before finally managing to speak coherently with his friends.

Sandra, who was reprimanded for the first time by Lee in such a harsh tone, ended up having a bit too much sake that night. The rest of the dinner went without incident though. As James bid goodbye to take his drunk sister home, Jet also took his leave after winking at Lee,

"Well you two have fun. I need to get back to the hospital. I'm on ER duty tonight."

"Now you suddenly get busy?" Lee thought, raising his brows.

"Well, if you don't mind staying longer, what about we move to the bar?" Lee asked Mia, hoping he could extend the time spent with her longer.

To his delight, she nodded. They moved from their table to the restaurant bar.

Lee tried to show off, chatting about various Japanese drinks and cocktails, conversing happily with the bartender in Japanese. He ordered a warmed Japanese wine for Mia, and as soon as the bartender put the flask and a small cup in front of the young woman, she smiled,

"[Atsukan?4Warm sake. Best consumed during winter. Which region is the sake from?]" She spoke to the bartender.

In Japanese. 

The bartender replied to her questions, but Lee could only stare at her dumbfounded. When she finished talking, she turned to look at Lee while very slowly sipping her warm sake, the corner of her lips slightly lifted.

Lee stammered, "You... can speak Japanese?"

Mia smirked, "Yeah. Conversational is fine. I can't really read or write though."

Then that means... .

"[Ehhhh.... I am yours, am I...?]” She pursed her lips teasingly at him.

Lee wanted to find a hole to bury his head into.

*** *** ***

To his surprise and delight, despite having made a fool out of himself the other night, Mia did not distance herself. He was also certain that she must be aware of his growing feelings for her, but she hardly ever touched on the subject.

Lee did not want to push it further either. He was too scared the young woman would just go and leave him in the dust. He would rather wait. 

He did not care that he was four years younger and Mia was probably just amusing herself with this relationship, treating him like she would a younger brother.

Over the next few weeks, they actually went out a few times together; sometimes with James, sometimes with both Jet and James. Fortunately, no Sandra.

His favorite outings were when there were only the two of them. Mia was bright and very career oriented. She also gradually opened up to him and talked about her work and family. Lee shared about his own family background to her.

Mia loved horror movies. Lee, not so much. But he survived through the two Conjuring movies and the Insidious trilogy, because that meant he could go to the cinemas to watch both franchise' latest installment with her. God knew the nightmares he had been having after he watched those movies. Thankfully, every nightmare ended with his savior, Mia Simmons, appearing as a wonderful inclusion in his dream. The dark horror ended every time she came into the picture and smiled at him, puling him away from the creepily laughing little boy or the smiling doll.

However, as soon as they were both alone in his dreams, Lee-the-director turned the dreams into those kinds. The dreams got raunchier each night, and it involved the naked body of the woman he was enamored with. His laundry machine had been working on overdrive as he had to constantly change his bed-sheets.

Both of them loved sci-fi, and they had a lot fun discussing who would win if Marvel and DC were to be pitted together. Mia liked Deadpool, Lee's favorite character was Iron Man. Both of them were definitely team Marvel. Iron Man was filthy rich, had a smart-ass tongue, and was one of the strongest characters. What's not to like?

As he was on his "Pursue Mia Simmons relentlessly" mission, he put James and Jet on the back burner, annoying them to no end as he no longer wanted to go out on boys' night outs with them anymore.

One day, as they were out together, this time thankfully only the two of them as well, Mia's phone rang. Its tone was different from normal. In fact, the tone was one that Lee knew very well.

An instrumental version of his own mother's trademark song.

 

SONG LINK (YOUTUBE) || TITLE: 女儿情 (NU ER QING). INSTRUMENTAL VERSION

   

Mia smiled at the screen and gestured at him signalling that she would like to take the call. Lee nodded.

"Mom?" She talked to her phone in Chinese, "Yeah, all good." She nodded subconsciously at times, acknowledging whatever her mom was saying to her, despite knowing the other side wouldn't be able to see her nod.

"Hmm, work is OK. I'll know by end of the month if I am admitted to the board."

"Yeah, OK. Love you too. Bye."

Mia closed her phone and put in inside her handbag. Lee prompted,

"That song... ."

"Oh, it's my ringtone for my mom's calls." Mia grinned, "That's her favorite song."

"We are truly a match made in heaven!"

"My mom's too," Lee said, grinning back at her.

Mia's eyes widened and she laughed heartily. Lee loved her bright unrestrained laugh.

"Chinese mothers and their old songs, right?" Mia chuckled. 

Lee nodded, "Yeah, Jet and I practically grew up with her singing that song to us. It's our lullaby. I can't even forget the lyrics even if I wanted to." He grimaced at the sudden flood of the song’s lyrics filling his brain.

Mia blinked, "Well, I don't really know the lyrics myself. I have heard my mother singing it a couple of times, but I hardly see her nowadays, so... ." Her eyes dimmed as she suddenly had a faraway sad look in her eyes.

Then Mia abruptly huffed and stomped her feet, "Because, she keeps asking me to bring a husband home!"

"Bring me home, please!"

"I mean, not that I don't want a guy, but these times are the most important times for my career." She pursed her lips, "I have worked so hard for this."

Lee could only stare at her. Mia was most radiant when she talked about her work and the things she was passionate about. Playing house with a husband and children was clearly not in her agenda. At least not now. And Lee would not want to have it any other way.

He had decided, he would wait. For as long as it would take.

*** *** ***

Lee was on video call again with his parents one Saturday morning. His mother chirped happily as usual, and his father just said whatever was necessary. From how they conversed, Lee could assume that Jet had not actually told them about Mia.

"Good. He's not a blabbermouth"

Then his mother started singing again.

 

 SONG LINK (YOUTUBE) || TITLE:  女兒情 (NU ER QING). SINGER: TONG LI

 

[Lovebirds resting as a couple, butterflies dancing in pairs;]

[Intoxicated in a garden filled with the beauty of spring.]

 

Lee's lips curled in amusement. However this time, he did not find the song annoying. He began to sing along inside his mind, following his mom's singing, until finally reaching the end of the song,

 

[Being close to my lover,]

[Loving that person, Loving that person,]

[May we always be together forever in this lifetime.]

 

He thought he was still humming the tune inside his mind, but when his focus returned to the screen of his phone, he saw both of his parents stared at him weirdly.

"What happened to you?" His dad asked in concern, this time the question was in English.

English meant business.

"What do you mean?" Lee asked back.

"You actually... sang along," his mom warily spoke, also in English, while looking at him like he was an alien.

Lee gaped for a few seconds before mumbling his response, "Uh... nothing. Love you, Mom, Dad. Bye."

He ended their phone call. Just like that, he ran away and continued to ignore incoming calls from his parents afterwards. Soon Jet sent him some Whatsapp messages. Lee stared at the screen, letting his phone ding furiously for a while. Then he sighed and typed his reply before closing it down.

 

 Then he sighed and typed his reply before closing it down

 

3