1.28 To The Capital (1)
226 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When they realized that the sky was getting darker, they finally decided to head back to Ji estate. Ji LanBai, Bai Yulan, Xiao Hui, and Xiao Lan boarded one larger carriage; Ji SongLi and Zhen BuFeng swiftly jumped onto their horses. 

Third Prince Zhang GuoFu was just about to mount his horse when Second Prince Zhang JunLi walked towards him,

"Third Brother, do you mind if I have your horse this time?" He asked, while looking at the Ji SongLi and Zhen BuFeng who were now chatting animatedly. From their gestures, it was apparent the two were talking about some sword or spear arts.

There was a twinkle in the Second Prince's eyes as he looked on enviously. He normally would sit inside the imperial carriage, together with the Crown Prince. But how could he stay still inside some carriage when there were two perfectly astounding young martial artists in front of him? He himself had trained in both form of martial arts during his younger years.

Crown Prince Zhang KongJing merely scoffed from behind him, "Martial-arts maniac!" 

He shook his head lightly and pulled his third brother away, "Come, Third Brother. We should just both sit inside the carriage and enjoy the scenery in leisure. What is so fun in riding a horse anyway? You'll just end up with pain on your legs."

Zhang GuoFu could not say anything else as he was half-dragged away by his eldest brother. Zhang JunLi grinned and quickly mounted the horse, lightly tapping his feet to its belly to urge it forward. He quickly reached Ji SongLi and Zhen BuFeng and joined their conversation. The three horses treading side by side, their riders' eyes were bright while their hands occasionally mimic some movements of their family arts.

The Crown Prince and the Third Prince settled themselves inside the carriage. Zhang KongJing started to idly waved his fan as the carriage finally started to move.

The imperial carriage moved slowly to reach the carriage with Ji LanBai and YuLan in it. Both carriages were now moving side by side. Zhang GuoFu lifted the thin bamboo screen covering his carriage's window to observe the Ji estate's carriage. The other carriage had their window fully covered. He could only make out some vague silhouettes behind the muslin curtain, but could not figure out who they belonged to.

"Has Third Brother missed his little fiancee, already?" Zhang  KongJing suddenly spoke, amused tone in his teasing voice. Then he added with almost a whisper, "Or is Third Brother thinking of another young lady in that very same carriage?"

Zhang GuoFu quickly dropped the screen at this remark, and turned to look at his eldest brother.

Zhang KongJing's lips were hidden behind his fan, Zhang GuoFu could not see if the latter was smiling or if there was judgment in the half-hidden expression. But there was no usual mirth in his eyes.

"What does Eldest Brother mean?" Zhang GuoFu cautiously asked.

The Crown Prince fixated his gaze at him, his eyes sharp and penetrating, unlike his normal jovial conduct. Zhang GuoFu was feeling anxious all of a sudden, as though the Crown Prince could see beyond the deepest of his thought. Then he finally turned his head to look at the carriage's inner walls.

"Third Brother will do well to remember," Zhang KongJing sighed languidly, that cheerfulness was now back in his voice, "When you try to grasp too much sand, you will end up with nothing."

There was a trail of cold sweat trickling down Zhang GuoFu's back. For some time, only the sound of their pulling horses' hooves echoed inside the carriage. He cautiously added,

"Surely Eldest Brother has also been charmed by a bright pearl masquerading as a plain pebble?"

At this, the Crown Prince actually let out a hearty laugh, "Indeed. A bright pearl." He echoed, before turning to look at Zhang GuoFu once more.

"GuoFu." This time his tone was more intimate, addressing him directly by his name, "Just like Imperial Father, I do not - will never - have a choice in this matter."

He then looked at the closed screen by Zhang GuoFu's side, there was a faint trace of zeal in his bright eyes, "If the pearl is appraised rightly as a pearl, only then I can provide the most beautiful throne worthy for its luster."

"But as the pearl is now.... ." He slowly diverted his gaze away from the window, looking into Zhang GuoFu's eyes, "... like you said, only masquerading, only is being appraised as a pebble... ."

"GuoFu, we are the Imperial Sons. We cannot have pebbles."

They were silent after that. Zhang GuoFu's mind was in turmoil, but he was not sure what exactly was making him anxious. 

Was it Ji LanBai? Was it Bai YuLan? Was it the Crown Prince's earlier words?

Zhang GuoFu was blankly staring at the carriage's walls when he heard a low whisper from his rights side,

"Oh... but she is no pebble... she is the brightest - whitest flower you'll ever find... ." 

"What did Eldest Brother just -- ?" Prince GuoFu turned to look into the Crown Prince, but his next words were stuck in his throat as he saw the bright red pupils on the familiar face of his eldest brother. They reminded him of flickering fire.

 

As quickly as he blinked his eyes, the red pupils were gone

 

As quickly as he blinked his eyes, the red pupils were gone. The Crown Prince turned his head to look at him, confused expression on his face. Those irises now had returned to their normal deep brown color, bright and kind like usual.

"What did you say?" Zhang KongJing asked, seemingly confused at Zhang GuoFu's stare at him.

"... ." Zhang GuoFu stared for a few more seconds; but finding nothing amiss from the Crown Prince, he finallymuttered, "Never mind. It must be just my imagination... "

*** *** ***

As soon as they returned to the estate and their carriages were parked in front of the gates, Ji SongLi, Zhen BuFeng, and Second Prince JunLi helped the young ladies to get off their carriage. Zhang KongJing and Zhang GuoFu nimbly jumped off their own.

Ji SongLi had only gone through the front gate which was opened by one of the family servants. The servant looked at him nervously, communicating with his eyes that there was trouble inside.

Trouble was precisely what greeted him as soon as he walked further inside. There was his irate mother, and the worried look of his first mother and his father; the three of them standing rigidly in front of the entrance to the inner residence.

The sky was already dark; they missed dinner time; he had not told anyone where he had gone. When Ji LanBai and Bai YuLan came into view, both Madames also became angrier,

"What a wonderful young lady of the Ji family!" Wu JianRui bellowed. vShe was hardly ever mad, but her worry towards her only daughter that had not returned even until past dark caused her to lose control.

YuLan could also only stay silent at both Madames' high-pitched sermons at them, Ji LanBai tactfully lowered her head while holding onto YuLan's sleeves.

Ji SongLi was about to open his mouth to apologize and explain, but his mother noticed and interjected,

"Li-er! You have only come back this morning. How could you just disappear like that, and with your sister..."

Then Zhen BuFeng and the three Princes walked through the front gates.

The two Madames' eyes were widened in horror and they quickly bowed their bodies in formal greetings. How did their son and daughter suddenly come home with the three Imperial Sons in tow? And the vice-commander of the Wolf army as well?

"This Prince is terribly sorry for the worry caused to both Madames and General Ji," the Crown Prince said, bowing himself lightly. This caused both Wu JianRui and Hai FenChu to now constantly assure him that it was no trouble at all.

The others exchanged amused glances. The three Princes kept bowing their bodies towards the Madames, and the Madames bowed their own even lower, not wanting to receive the Princes' apologies.

Ji ChanFang's lips were lifted in amusement, before he coughed loudly, shifting everyone's attention to himself,

"Talk whatever need to be talked about inside." He waved his sleeve lightly, "Servants, clean and properly prepare some residences at the central courtyard for the Royal Highnesses!"

And that was how the servants of the Ji estate were once again sent into flurry of panic. The first time because their Master and Young Master came back without prior announcement; the second time because the residence had to suddenly host some very noble personages.

*** *** ***

Over midnight snacks and tea, Ji ChanFang and Ji SongLi were still chatting with the three Princes and Zhen BuFeng.

"So, what General Ji meant is, there is no news of the Dong tribe leader?" Second Prince Zhang JunLi asked.

"Not precisely," Ji SongLi replied, "We know vaguely their whereabouts. Hence why we had come back in a hurry."

The Crown Prince lifted his brows, prompting him to explain in his father's stead,

"We aim to move the Ji family to the capital." Ji SongLi sighed, "Although the Dong tribe is no more in name, the most dangerous people are still at large."

"The leader and his small group of assassins have been elusively avoiding our pursuits for the past few years. And our latest intel actually told us that some of them have been sighted walking around Ming town."

"Then that means... ," Zhen BuFeng muttered.

Ji ChanFang slammed the wooden table, sending the teacups upside down and everyone's hearts jumping, "They certainly have grudges with this General. Even going as far as wanting to target this one's family!"

"Considering we have always been on their tails and directly responsible for the destruction of their tribe... ," Ji SongLi wryly added.

The Princes nodded and lowered their heads. If that was the case, Ming town was no longer a safe place for the Ji family to set their base at, especially considering the two Madames and the young Ji LanBai... .

"Of course, this one does not plan to just leave." Ji ChanFang pursed his lips. There was a murderous glint in his eyes, "Anyone daring enough to covet to hurt this one's family cannot have a good end. I will stay here for them to deliver their heads to my door."

"Vice-commander Zhen!" He turned to look at the stoic young man, "This old one must trouble you to accompany SongLi to the capital, escorting the two Madames and LanBai."

It was good indeed that Zhen BuFeng and the Princes had once again visited their Ji residence at this time. With Zhen BuFeng's skill and the Royal Princes' bodyguards that had accompanied them, that meant two extra layers of protection for his family.

Zhen BuFeng and the Princes, of course did not have any objection. They were going to return to the capital anyway, and giving assistance to the Ji estate was akin to giving assistance to the Empire. In the future, they might need the other's helping hand in return.

Ji SongLi and Ji ChanFang both stood and cupped their fists towards the Princes' and Zhen BuFeng's acknowledgement to their request.

*** *** ***

3