1.32 Settling In Da Lang
200 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When their entourage finally passed the gate of the central district the following evening, Zhen BuFeng's and Ji SongLi's horses almost accidentally ran into two people who suddenly jumped out of an alley.

The two men were exactly He Shan and Sun Chen, both were looking slightly disheveled. They had anxious expression, their eyes darted everywhere, seemingly afraid of being followed. The scholars put their fingers on their lips, signalling the bewildered Zhen BuFeng and Ji SongLi to be quiet. Afterwards, both  scholars swiftly jumped onto one of the larger carriages. Fortunately, said carriage belonged to the Princes, not the ladies from the Ji family, lest their teenage disciples would be startled of their impolite conduct of intruding into a lady's carriage.

Second Prince Zhang JunLi, who was leading his brothers' carriage, peeked inside with confused expression. Fortunately, the imperial carriage was quite spacious. Although the addition of He Shan and Sun Chen made it slightly more cramped inside, it did not cause the Crown Prince Zhang KongJing and Third Prince Zhang GuoFu to be squashed.

There was not the slightest irritation visible on Zhang KongJing's face as he looked at the two scholars in amusement. He could much or less guess what happened, based on the scholars' reputation among the Da Lang ladies.

He recalled both He Shan and Sun Chen had soldered on to the central district on their horses. With such showy appearance, the Crown Prince could only imagine the commotion of the passionate women of Da Lang after noticing their idols' arrival.

And from the way both had suddenly appeared, he could assume that now they tried to be more discreet.

Along the way, He Shan told them one good news: that he had found a suitable residence to host the Ji family members.

It was actually his - more precisely - his teacher, Liu YangHuan's residence.

He Shan smiled bitterly as he recalled the events that earlier morning. Of course, he had tried to visit his house first. After all, the residence was closest to the district gate. However, the servant who greeted him at the door told him that Old Master Liu had gone to visit Sun Chen's master, Wu DanShao. Thus, both of them rushed to greet both of their teachers who they had thought as their own fathers.

*** *** ***

Both of them were orphans in the capital city, having known each other since they were but small children. They had always relied on each other to survive, sometimes even eating food scraps from waste bins to fill their bellies.

Years ago, by stroke of luck that could only be attributed to fate, Liu YangHuan and Wu DanShao took notice of them when the two were having a public meet among other scholars. At the time, various scholars from the empire had a small competition in the four arts. When Liu YangHuan had his turn to play his guqin, Wu DanShao noticed two scrawny dirty small boys listening to his small performance, peeking from a corner of a decrepit alley.

Initially Wu DanShao was only amused to see these two uneducated boys being enthralled in his friend's performance. Then he decidedly asked Liu YangHuan to find the two boys after their meeting ended.

The rest was history.

*** *** ***

So imagine He Shan and Sun Chen's bafflement when they finally got to meet their old teachers again after so many years of separation.

When their masters finally saw them, both old men looked like they were at a funeral.

He Shan and Sun Chen narrated their journey and current issue; about the Dong tribe, about the Ji family, about their students from the Ji family, about their current predicament, and most of all, about Ji LanBai and Bai YuLan's talents.

Their old masters would not extend a helping hand for ordinary people, so He Shan and Sun Chen upped their boasting by several levels to pique their interests.

Having exchanged conflicted glances, finally Liu YangHuan's face brightened,

"Then, why don't the Ji Madames and Ji Young Misses use my residence?" He glanced at Wu DanShao, "And brother Wu, I will stay at your place from now on."

"This... ." Wu DanShao was a bit hesitant. He had always valued the tranquility of his residence, especially after Sun Chen left the nest years ago. Although Liu YangHuan was a dear friend, he had never shared his house with anyone else for a prolonged period of time.

"He Shan and Sun Chen can stay at my residence. We have enough rooms!" Liu Yanghuan hastily added when he noticed his friend's hesitation. 

"After all, it is only appropriate for He Shan and Sun Chen to continue mentoring their students, especially when it was both ladies' first time in the capital." He added through meaningful gaze and slightly gritted teeth to emphasize his meaning, "It is much easier for the both of them to live in the same estate."

By now, how could Wu DanShao not realize the implied meaning? His hesitation soon turned into delight as realization sank in.

"What a wonderful idea, Brother Liu!" Wu DanShao exclaimed, his initially slumped posture was not straight and robust, "This means getting rid of pests in one go!"

He Shan and Sun Chen were utterly confused at the quick wry glance that Wu DanShao gave them as he said that last sentence.

*** *** ***

Regardless whatever was on their masters' mind, He Shan and Sun Chen were relieved that the most pressing issue at hand was now solved. After obtaining their masters' instructions, they initially intended to wait by the gate for the Ji family's arrival. They could have sent some servants, but they felt they should show proper sincerity, especially having come this far along together.

Imagine their surprise when they opened the front gate of [Eternal Brush Wu] and were suddenly greeted with shrieking excited squeals of young maidens.

They quickly closed and barricaded the gates and decided to leave by the back door, where only servants would usually use to come and go. As their horses were left outside the front gates, they could only walk in stealth.

*** *** ***

As the Royal Princes returned to their own estates and Zhen BuFeng also returned to his residence, The Ji family and Bai YuLan also settled themselves in Liu YangHuan's estate.

The estate was actually quite expansive, although not as big as the Ji estate back in Ming town. Liu YangHuan, through He Shan's verbal direction, had also let them make use of his own servants and allowed free reign in the household.

In short, Old Master Liu thoroughly wanted to wash his hands clean off any trouble.

Both of the Ji Madames wanted to personally express their gratitude, but He Shan told them that his old teacher was quite eccentric and the only gratitude he would accept was talent. So the best way to express goodwill was to perhaps invite both Liu YangHuan and Wu DanShao for an intimate performance to show the talents of Ji LanBai and Bai Yulan. He would also invite some important personages from the capital for their future connections if needed be. After all, both Madames had not been in the capital for quite a while, and they had never established themselves socially.

Wu JianRui did not have any objection to this; obviously such connection would be important for Ji LanBai's future. Hai FenChu also thought this would be equally good for Bai YuLan. Thus, both Madames quickly agreed to HeShan's suggestion.

YuLan and Ji LanBai loved Liu YangHuan's residence. True to its master's scholarly background, the residence was simple but elegantly decorated, reflecting aesthetically pleasing artistic elements. Their favorite was the music room; there were a lot of various instruments, guqin, pipa, erhu, dizi, of various shapes and colors stored. Those were Liu YangHuan's - and to an extension He Shan's - collections.

 

And to be given complete trust to handle those precious instruments made them dizzy with excitement

 

To have been given complete trust to handle those precious instruments made the two girls dizzy with excitement. Even Ji SongLi also excitedly succumbed himself to his own passion for music, utilizing the various instruments with his sister and YuLan.

Most of the time, he asked YuLan to teach him the piece that she had played back in the inn. YuLan obliged; yet, she was not entirely sure if it was the best idea. Everytime Ji SongLi played the tune, although he began to play it very beautifully, he looked like he was suffering a lot.

YuLan asked him a few times, but the young man would not explain himself.

How could Ji SongLi even begin to explain it? He was not even sure what exactly he was feeling; what were the voices in his head, that started to be more distinct, to be more coherent? The more he played the tune of that song, there was an agonizing desire that was amplified when he looked at or remembered YuLan's profile.

And her smile.

It was as though he had known her forever, beyond this lifetime.

He had always known that he liked YuLan. He dared to admit that he in fact, loved her.

Yet, how could 'love' even begin to define his feeling? This intense longing was more than just the one simple world. It was an existence that he knew he needed in his world. It might sound far-fetched to other people; it was as though without her, he would cease breathing.

Perhaps, more than 'love', she was his 'life'.

A couple of days later, He Shan walked inside the music room. It was the only room he knew he could always find those three people whenever he could not find them anywhere else.

"The Yong Prince is currently in the living room." He Shan smirked meaningfully at Ji LanBai, "Something about asking for permission to take his fiancee to visit her future house."

YuLan sighed at Ji LanBai's visible excitement. There was no demureness or shyness of an unmarried young maiden at all in the latter's reaction. Although it was not an unusual trait of women in modern era, it was certainly uncommon in this world.

"She is still so innocent... . Is she not aware yet that being a husband and wife involves more than just living in the same estate?"

"Annddd~~!!" HeShan added with an accusing look at YuLan, "His Highness Third Prince Zhang GuoFu told me that you performed a new piece at the inn a few days ago using an erhu?"

"Ah, of course... he missed that." YuLan smirked inside.

"You have to perform it again as part of our formal performance in a few days time!" He decided, "Let's make it a complete arrangement, possibly accompanied with other instruments. My teacher and Sun Chen's teacher will be there too, along with the Royal Princes and some other important officials."

YuLan could only shrug lightly in agreement. In this life, she had been pretty idle anyway and she did not dislike performing in the slightest.

*** *** ***

Third Prince Zhang GuoFu had brought along a carriage for Ji LanBai who insisted that YuLan should accompany her. Although Ji SongLi also accompanied them for half of the way towards Zhang GuoFu's estate, he finally went on his separate way to visit a medicine hall. One of his major assignments from his father before he departed Ming town was to always make sure Wu JianRui's medicinal supply would never run out.

 

        

As expected of an estate of a Royal Prince, YuLan could not help but feel bedazzled again with the beauty of the various man-made landscapes inside the residence.

Zhang GuoFu patiently guided them through the various courtyards and gardens. Ji lanBai's eyes were wide in wonder. She had grown in a military household; although her house in Ming town was tidy, it hardly had any beauty that was presented before her eyes at the moment.

Lian house was beautiful. However, it was a given for a commercial place to be aesthetically pleasing for the staying guests. Who knew that the Third Prince's estate was comparable in beauty.

All the servants and maids in the estate also bowed and curtsied politely towards her. After all, they had all been briefed before that their future Mistress would be visiting.

"If there is anything that Bai-mei thinks lacking," Zhang GuoFu smiled at his fiancee who was having fun feeding the colorful fish in a wide but shallow pond, "please let me know. I will certainly do my best to have them rectified."

Ji LanBai giggled in delight, "Not at all. This place is very beautiful, Fu-ge."

She stood up and walked towards YuLan, "YuLan will be here in the future with me. " She smiled sincerely, "What do you think, YuLan? This place is perfect, isn't it? We will live here together in the future... ," she added with bright expression , "with Fu-ge!"

YuLan stilled at this, and she could not help but glance at the third Prince, who was also similarly observing her expression.

Finally YuLan could only smile lightly and pat Ji LanBai's hand, not quite expressing her agreement. But Ji LanBai did not even notice, letting out a squeal of delight and merrily took off as soon as she saw a white swan treading on the pond.

"You are not pleased," Zhang GuoFu softly said after observing YuLan for a few moment.

YuLan only pursed her lips in silence.

 

1