1.46 Harrassment
144 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"One silver tael, Miss." The herbalist handed her a bulky pouch of herbs.

YuLan accepted the pouch, but lightly frowned, "Forgive me, Sir, as this is the first time I was sent to purchase these herbs. However, I was told that the price should be at least two silver taels?"

Two silver taels was still expensive, but the herbs purchased were rare. Not to mention, the herbal shop where YuLan was at, was the only one in the whole Zhang Empire that stocked the ingredients. The herbal shop had connections to merchants from outside the empire as well, therefore having access to different plants and herbs not commonly found domestically.

Previously, the herbs were bought by Meng-momo, and the more expensive price was deemed fair by the prescribing Imperial Physician Su. And when Meng-momo previously made the purchase, the quantity of herbs was definitely less than what YuLan had just received.

The herbalist unexpectedly bowed his body and folded his fingers together in humble gratitude, "Miss, please don't mention the price. The Ji clan has not delayed sending remunerations to my deceased nephew's bereaved family." His voice was choked with emotion,

"My nephew was one of trusted aides of the General. Alas, he perished under the scheme of Dong Tribe." There was a hint of anger in his tone as well.

"The financial aid received by his grieving wife will definitely ensure she will live well for the rest of his life." He sighed, "Alas, my nephew would not be able to see his unborn child grow up... . His wife is almost due for labor... ."

YuLan lowered her head and stayed silent. The herbalist, noticing her somber response, quickly added, "Don't get me wrong, Miss! I do not blame the Ji family at all! My nephew had been very proud to be a soldier of the Ji clan."

YuLan could only thank the herbalist and did not press the monetary issue further. She did not want to take advantage of the herbalist, but what could she say further if the person in question insisted to not receive the money?

As she made her exit out of the shop, He Shan and Sun Chen were already waiting for her,

"Heading back now?" He Shan asked, offering his hand to carry the pouch of herbs. YuLan nodded and was about to hand the pouch to him.

"He-laoshi. Sun-laoshi!" A male voice was heard, calling them.

They turned their heads to see Chao HuiBo, who was still in his court's uniform, hurriedly walked towards them as soon as he dismounted from his horse.

Although Chao HuiBo was still considered young to make major decisions, he had been attending the Imperial Court along with his father. He was the heir of the Minister of Finance's household; if their family wanted to still have some standing in the court in the future, he had to get acquainted with civil and political matters any chance he could.

Even all the Royal Princes had attended courts much younger than he did, though that also came with their own birth obligation.

Sun Chen let out a soft groan as he saw Chao MeiHua followed behind her brother.

Moreover, lo and behold, her good friend Princess Zhang XiuYa trailed along as well. Both young ladies had veils covering their faces as they stepped off their carriages. Both were impeccably dressed as always.

Such was the number one priority of normal females in Da Lang: to present themselves to the best of their ability, at least appearance wise.

Chao HuiBo cupped his fists towards the three of them, and nodded in a polite greeting towards YuLan, who curtsied back at him lightly.

"Young Master Chao?" He Shan noticed the flustered expression on the youth's face, "What might have caused you to be in such a hurry?"

Chao HuiBo was only swallowing a mouthful of saliva to soften his parched throat before he was about to answer, but Princess Zhang XiuYa quickly stepped forward. Although her face was hidden behind the veil, no one could have missed the hostility from her straight and proud figure.

From the herbal shop YuLan just purchased the herbs from, an armed guard walked out, with the now-very-nervous looking herbalist.

"What did she just purchase?" The Princess asked the guard without even looking at him. Her eyes were still sharply fixated on YuLan and the pouch in her hands.

The guard handed her a list of herbs, written as part of inventory control by the herbalist when the transaction occurred earlier.

Zhang XiuYa read the list briefly, before handing it over to Chao MeiHua,

"MeiHua. Such expensive plants and herbal mixtures. How much do you think this should cost?"

Chao MeiHua studied the list closely, her eyebrows also knit in thought,

".... . It should cost at least about two silver taels and seventy copper coins... ."

As a daughter of the Minister of Finance, she was at least knowledgeable in market prices of goods sold in the capital city.

"And how much did you obtain this for?" The Princess asked YuLan, pointing at the pouch.

YuLan stayed silent.

"Your Highness," The herbalist nervously quipped, "It is this humble one who decided to give the herbs for less than market price..."

"Silence!!" The Princess flung her sleeves. The herbalist nervously shrank his neck as he stumbled backwards.

What could he say against a royalty? His shop could be closed just in a blink of an eye if he ended up accidentally offending this high-ranked Princess.

As his shop was one of the resources various Imperial Physicians obtained their medicines from, the herbalist was well aware of different members of the Imperial Family. Thus, he had recognized the young woman whose face was covered in veil in front of him. Not only was the guard who made the enquiry inside his shop just a few moments earlier bore an Imperial Guard insignia, the young female wore a silver phoenix hairpin, clearly signifying her royalty status. And the only Princess who had the privilege of going out and about, due to the favour she received from the Emperor as his only blood related niece, was the only second-ranked Princess Zhang XiuYa.

"You should be aware that you cannot make any underhanded sales!" The Princess drawled menacingly at the herbalist, then glared at YuLan, "And you were not supposed to receive such underhanded offer!!"

The old herbalist looked like he was about to cry. Was returning someone's favour considered underhanded?

"How much did you get the herbs for, YuLan?" Sun Chen asked.

"One silver tael... ," she answered a matter-of-factly. She clearly knew the Princess was deliberately finding trouble for her. Although for what, she did not have an inkling of idea. She certainly did not remember when she had offended the Princess to such extent the other was practically out for her blood.

She suddenly missed Ji LanBai's almighty slap. She wondered if the Princess's cheek was still red behind that veil... .

"There is punishment for such bribery." Zhang XiuYa could not hide the glee behind her contempt.

Sun Chen took out a pouch from a hidden sleeve under his robe and examined the content before handing it to the herbalist,

"There is exactly one silver tael and a hundred copper coins here. Please accept it, good sir."

The herbalist did not have any choice but to accept the pouch, despite his initial good intention. Never in his life he would imagine that he would cause trouble to the currently silent young lady from the Ji family. After throwing a last remorseful look towards her, he scurried inside his shop, not wanting to be involved in further trouble.

"I assume everything is now to Her Royal Highness' satisfaction?" He Shan said in low voice, sarcasm clear in his voice. He stepped forward, putting his body in front of YuLan, separating the Princess and the latter.

Sun Chen also stepped forward to stand by his side, blocking the Princess as well.

Chao MeiHua lightly frowned, while the Princess just became more furious as she saw the protective gesture. Chao HuiBo saw the situation not being very good. He wanted to hold back Princess Zhang XiuYa, but as a mere Minister's son, he was less than qualified to refute or displease the Princess.

"Princess," he could only cautiously said, "We have more important issue to address... and this relates to these three people as well... they may know... ."

"Young Master Chao," the Princess warned, "You'd do well to stay out of this." She lifted her chin at He Shan and Sun Chen, "And towards the two Masters as well."

She pointed her fingers towards YuLan, who was still hidden behind the two scholars' tall bodies,

"All you could do is seduce men! The two master scholars, and I bet even the herbalist!",She signalled one of the accompanying Imperial Guards to come forward,

"Seize this vixen! She has beguiled and bribed a Zhang Empire's regulated herbal shop. Not even my Imperial uncle ever has the audacity to perform such blatant robbery!"

"Princess!" Chao HuiBo could not help but to widen his eyes in horror as one the Imperial Guards stepped forward with his hand ready to unsheathe the sword from the sheath on his belt. Yet before even an inch of the blade had been drawn, he stopped in his tracks when a sword tip suddenly appeared from behind his neck, just merely millimeters from his Adam's apple.

The guard halted, not daring to move a single muscle. He did not even dare to swallow his saliva to ease his nervousness at the very sudden killing intent from behind him. The slightest move would undoubtedly cause the sharp blade to grace his neck.

"No one will get hurt if you just retreat very nicely." The voice muttered in a threatening low calm voice.

The other Imperial guards behind the Princess quickly drew their swords as well.

The Princess was about to speak her mind at the new intruder, she stepped aside to quickly see the person's profile. Then her body stiffened, and she lifted her veil inadvertently. Her flawless alluring facial profile was in full view now, clear blush now creeping up her dewy cheeks.

"Young Master Ji... ." She curtsied docilely at the person that had been constantly appearing in her dreams.

Ji SongLi still had his sword on the Imperial Guard's neck, then he looked at the bowing Princess with his face devoid of expression.

"Is this your dog?" Ji SongLi asked, gesturing towards the guard still at the mercy of his blade. The Princess was slightly surprised at his lack of humble acknowledgment towards her imperial status.

"Or does he not know yet who I am? Speaking of, isn't he the reason why we are on the streets... . Why is he here... ."

Nevertheless, being in such intense gaze of the young man cause the blush on her face to deepen. She was about to reply, when Ji SongLi added, "He is your dog. Leash him!"

The Princess blinked, not quite comprehending why there was clear bone-chilling aura coming from the normally gentle Young Master of the Ji family. But she understood his request and quickly commanded the guard to retreat.

Only when the guard sheathed his sword, Ji SongLi also lowered his own.

When the guard retreated, everyone who were currently present – including YuLan, He Shan, and Sun Chen – could clearly see his full profile previously obstructed behind the Imperial Guard's larger body.

 

When the guard retreated, everyone who were currently present – including YuLan, HeShan, and SunChen – could clearly see his full profile previously obstructed behind the Imperial Guard's larger body

 

If previously everyone could only hear his voice, no one could have missed his identity now. However, his familiar face was uncharacteristically frosty.

 

0