Awakening
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elijah huffed, “Kaida, I wish you had the ability to back up your big talk, if you are not going to be of help then can you be quiet?”

His dragon sat back down and slouched onto the couch, she sulkily mumbled to herself.

‘Why can’t I be of help…’ She thought, she really wanted to impress Elijah, although she would never admit it to herself, she could put aside her big ego for Elijah.

“Err, Kaida- Are the taps leaking?”

Drip. Drip. Drip.

‘Are some taps more important than me?’ She spat to herself.

Gurgle, gurgle.

“FU- Kaida! The pipes combusted!’ Elijah screamed both internally and out loud at the same time.

‘He can’t even tell I’m sad…’ She grumbled

CRACK

PSSSHHHHH

Water spurted out a crack from the pipe from the bathroom sink.

“Kaida! Come here!” 

“What am I supposed to do?!” Kaida panicked, realising the gravity of the situation as she turned her attention forwards.

BOOM

The pipe broke off, waves gushed from it- quickly.

In just moments, the water was nearly ankle deep.

Elijah called for her as she wadeded through the flooding room to clog the broken pipe with towels.

Elijah grabbed her wrist and dragged her towards himself and wrapped his arms around her waist, then hoisted her up onto his shoulder like a potato sack.

“What are you doing? Why are you running to the pipe? Are you stupid or something?!” Elijah frowned as he continued to berate her.

“Hic- WAHHHHHH-”

Kaida burst into spontaneous tears.

“Why are you crying now?” He asked, alarmed, “Wait- I’m sorry-” he desperately tried to console her as she sobbed even more.

Kaida remained silent, she was thoroughly embarrassed that she had mistaken Elijah’s tsundere tendencies for annoyance and anger.

“???”

The water drained away in a matter of seconds, leaving their room in a state of disarray.

It started slowly, unnoticeable, then, not so discreetly, new found strength coursed through Elijah’s body, every tear that leaked from Kaida’s eyes permeated into his body, sending mana that felt like electrical currents in his veins.

His senses sharpened.

His eyes dilated.

He muscled tensed.

His field of auditory expanded.

Mana circulated his dantain, filled with intense strength.

“…what was THAT.”

Elijah and Kaida both blinked in shock at the situation. 

Elijah let go of his hand that was holding Kaida, letting her land on the floor.

She, too, was too shaken, even to voice out a complaint.

First, they thought they would drown, now the water had magically vanished? 

It took a while before Elijah finally absentmindedly paced back and forth, then raised his eyebrows and walked toward (and not to mention nearly tripped on his way to) the wall. 

He traced along one of the pipes sticking out with his hand, due to the earlier ordeal, it had caused massive cracks to appear, some water still dripping out of it.

A sense of unease arose in him as a seemingly far fetched theory surfaced in his mind.

“Kaida,” he began slowly, his mind stopped theorising as she tilted her head, confused.

“That water- no those pipes, they burst, remember?”

He didn’t give her a chance to respond.

“But do you recall when exactly?”

“???”

Kaida didn’t understand anything he was trying to hint at.

Giving up, Elijah voiced his thoughts directly.

“They did after you were whining.”

After a minute of trying to process this new piece of information, she finally gave up and quickly formed a retort.

“HEY, I DID NOT WHI- OOHH- The pipes in the walls- that were full of water- when we eavesdropped on the professors!”, Kaida enthusiastically nodded, finally following.

It was Elijah’s turn to be shocked.

“That… wasn’t what I was trying to say…”

An expression even more shameless then Kaida’s appeared on his face as he quickly recomposed himself.

“It was what I was going to say next though.

You understand, now, Kaida?

You- WE have a water affinity which if- no, when developed, allows us to control water, hear- and possibly see things happening near that. 

In addition, I just gained a power up just now, you know. I’m pretty sure that was just from the “awakening” we BOTH went through.

It’s not only you who discovered a new power.” Elijah explained slowly, as if articulating the alphabet to a child.

“...”

‘Does he think I’m dumb or what?’

Kaidas face scrunched up.

***

ELIJAH’S POV

“BOY! You!”

“Me?”

“Who do you think I’m talking to?”, A loud voice barked out.

I scrambled toward the source of the loud voice. 

Next to a short, hard headed looking middle aged woman was a person on a stretcher.

The patient who I'll have to treat. 

I internally gulped.

These sessions never ended up well.

Why do they even call me back here…

At the sound of a throat being cleared my attention snapped back to the woman. 

Then I finally saw the patient close up. 

I looked to horror at the gashes all over his body, claw marks torn across his chest, leaving a large piece of skin hanging.

“Ma- ‘am? I- er, I don’t think I-”

“Are you sure you’re a Xira student? First-aid responders don’t have the luxury to hesitate!”

I clenched my teeth before reluctantly opening my mouth taking a deep breath.

Placing my evenly spaced out fingers on the patient's bloodied stomach, my palms hovering in the air.

Normally geniuses don’t need to meticulously check their posture and method, but not for me, i wasn’t a genius after all. Far from that.

I needed every bit of theory I could to produce merely subpar healing.

I really couldn't afford to make even a single mistake.

Light emitted from my fingertips and slowly the glowing blobs encircled the wounds, before enlarging and enveloping the bloodied man. 

The impatient nurse widened her eyes, obviously not expecting such precise healing techniques from someone like me.

I smirked inwardly.

‘Papa, don’t get on a high horse.’

‘Shh- let the professionals be.’

The skin around the deep gashes wove together, closing up cleanly.

“Do-do you want any water? A seat?” the nurse bowed down respectfully, this woman realised my true worth huh?

…or so she thought. 

I was unfazed as this familiar scene had not been my first.

I braced for disaster, wondering how long it would take for her to realize the truth.

But for now… 

Let me bathe in the feeling of being the star of the show.

‘Papa…’

‘Kaida, let this awesome papa do his thing.’

Kaida rolled her eyes at me, yet there was a slight sense of urgency I could see on her face.

She obviously didn’t believe in my healing skills.

I exhaled internally.

As expected of someone who I made a bond with.

She could tell this was merely a front I put up.

It’s not like I have anything better to do.

Last time I checked, telling a patient you were useless and utterly incompetent didn’t do anyone any good.

Her expression was practically screaming, “Don’t blame me if something goes wrong.”

After passing me a bottle of water I never asked for the nurse glanced at the patient.

I could feel the gears in her head turning. I wouldn’t be long now.

“Hey Kaida, cover your ears.”

I whispered.

‘…wha-’

“EHHHHHHHHHHHHH???”

A shrill voice rang out.

The enraged nurse cursed at me, all previous newfound respect and admiration out the window.

She huffed and puffed like the big bad nurse that she was, tired from screaming at me as if rapping.

“Your healing is absolute rubbish!”

“Healing? What healing? Do you close the wounds and leave the internal injuries?!?”

She even started hurling bandage wraps at me as I fled the crime scene with Kaida.

1