Partners in Crime
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A/N: Sorry I forgot again! I really promise I'll upload another chapter today!

It was time for the second part of the main component’s assessment.

The professors once again lined up on the outdoor podium and got ready to spin the wheel.

Professor Felicity smiled devilishly.

I observed that on the wheel, around a third of the Xira groups had been eliminated as indicated by the slash running through their group name.

As expected. The first year was the one where most dropouts took place after all.

And even then, assuming you dropped out, it’s not like your world would fall apart. Numerous other schools were probably salivating at the thought of snatching up ex-Xira students. The academy was just that prestigious.

But on the other hand it meant if you survived your first year, there was a good chance you could graduate.

This time, the necromancy teacher was even more shameless, spinning the wheel manually to land on the place she wanted while leisurely discussing with the other teachers- probably about which team will verse which.

“OH- wow!”

I shifted my attention back to the podium.

“...”

“I don’t know why but, it seems like the spinner is picking out the teams with an adjacent ranking?”

“...”

“Isn’t this shocking, why isn’t anyone surprised?”

“...”

Felicity pouted crankily before dropping to her knees then raising her chin and placing the back of her hand on her forehead she declared, “You guys are no fun. Kyle laughs at my jokes all of the time. Learn from the Xira professor.”, she said, placing emphasis on the ‘professor’ part.

“Haha.” Professor Kyle said dryly, playing along.

“Stop humouring her Kyle.”

The Head teacher sighed- tired of the unprofessionalism being displayed, she shoved Professor Felicity off the podium.

“AHHHHH-”

Professor Felicity fell, screaming for the first few seconds before gradually stopping, seeming to ‘understand’ the Head’s intention.

A single tear fell from her eye as she reached her arms out to the Head tearfully with an expression of betrayal. 

She opened her mouth, undoubtedly about to mouth something sappy.

Hah. Who was I kidding? Of course the Professor would never interpret any hints right.

It would have been more believable if the professor had not used her mana to slow the fall to make it look more “dramatic”.

POOF.

A puff of black cloud appeared where she previously was ‘dying’ as she teleported back on the podium after finishing her ‘performance’.

No one was surprised anymore, after a semester of it, everyone was used to Professor Felicity and her unusual yet spontaneous antics.

***

“Okay, this is the layout of the building, what do you guys suggest the best course of action is to protect Mr. Smith?” Lacey asked, placing the building's blueprint onto the table we were seated around.

“Hmm, since the other group strangely has a lot air affinities, it’s best to stick with going underground.” Asher answered.

“Hmm. Then preferably a location within that place with a low ceiling.” suggested Amber. 

“But won’t that hinder our abilities too?”, countered Julian.

After me and Stacy’s bickering died down a bit, their feud reemerged once again.

“Okay so, basically the previous team alerted the whole building to the intruders, but that made it a lot easier to pinpoint the target for us, so let’s keep it quiet from the people in the building.” I said.

Lucas piped up, “Instead of securing the premises, we should hide Mr. Smith in plain sight because the other team has similar capabilities anyways. There's no point in trying to fight back with the chance that we might lose.”

Me and Stacy met eyes.

Hehe- it’s finally time.

After purposely steering the direction of the conversation, we finally reached the product we wanted.

Stacy raised her hand, “I knew this was the best tactic for us to win, so I brought some potions and disguises.”

After the distribution to the others and Mr. Smith, both of us turned to Amber.

“GO ON!”

I probably spoke albeit too eagerly because it ended up sounding half like a command.

Amber glared at me, “Geez what’s your problem, why are you so aggressive.”

I coughed, “Hm? Sorry I er- I’ve been having a problem with my vocal chords lately, you know?”

“Sure…?”

She chugged down the potion Stacy handed her.

Her hair glistened before rapidly growing at the roots, except, a different colour.

And… it was brown.

“BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-”

“What? Do I look weird?”

After the few seconds it took for the realisation to sink in, everyone else broke down in laughter too. Even Mr. Smith’s eyes twinkled with amusement.

“TELL ME THIS INSTANT!”

I wiped the tears that formed at my eyes.

“Come here, I’ll give you the mi-rrr-ORrR-HAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“Piss yourself! You better have not done anything funny or I’ll have your throat!” Amber shrieked before snatching the preprepared mirror off my hands.

“...”

Amber began to silently shake.

“Haha, Amber?”

“...”

“Stacy, I don’t think she’s very happy with us…”

“Eh? What makes you think so?”

“I can tell by her body language.”

“You’ve studied human behaviour?”

“Not really, but it kind of comes to me naturally.”

“Tell me then!”

“She’s holding a gun, the one loaded with the real bullets.”

“Damn, I never thought of that actually…” 

BANG BANG BANG-

Me and Stacy dove under the tables as Amber’s bullets missed us within a hair's width.

***

After that eventful- like 5 minutes, I learnt my lesson.

Only piss off Amber when she’s not wielding a gun.

“Everyone’s ready to go, right?” Lucas asked, looking around.

His eyes rested slightly longer on Amber, worried about her. 

Typical Lucas. So caring. Even for a person like Amber…

…Or maybe it was the possibility that she would jeopardize the mission.

I would like to believe it was the latter. 

“Amber will be fine. It’s not like having a different hair colour will make her any different.

Right?”

I stared at Amber, who upon sensing my gaze scowled but still nodded resolutely. 

“Great. Let’s get ready. They should be heading in soon.”, said Asher, sighing while shaking his head at the timing of our little prank.

“Mr. Smith, please accompany us down the lift. You will then be escorted to the lower levels.” 

Mr. Smith who used to be grey-haired, drank a temporary anti-aging potion to return like appearance back to his youth, alongside with a hair dye, he looked nothing like his previous self.

He smiled and nodded, understanding his role.

Checking the time on his watch, Julian pushed us to hurry.

Asher commanded, “Elijah, Julian and Lucas should spread out to patrol as long as one of you stands near the bottom of the lift and the rest of us should monitor and protect Mr. Smith.”

“Ah. From afar though.” He added quickly. 

Mr. Smith hesitated.

“Is there something wrong, is there a particular person you feel more comfortable with sir?” Asher asked politely.

I glanced around and saw a glass of punch on the table, thristly, I took a swig.

Probably wasn’t any of ours, but I’m sure I could handle the consequences.

“Ah? No no! It’s just…”

He looked at me and Stacy.

Mr. Smith decided to give some words of wisdom, “You shouldn’t keep them apart, young love is a beautiful thing, it’s won’t distract them, but rather make them more stronger together.”

PFFFFT-

Everyone turned to Mr. Smith.

I spat out the orange juice I was drinking as Stacy edged away and screamed, “Gross!”

Was it from the orange juice or Mr. Smith’s advice, I will never know.

“Haha, what do you mean?” I asked, feigning ignorance.

Hahaha…

M-Must.. hold back…anger.

This man must be senile or something, I can’t blame him.

The whack in question tilted his head, oblivious.

“Aren’t you two dating?”

“...”

0