Breaking Down Barriers (1)
71 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As she rubbed her hands, Naavah looked at the small table with various hair accessories, makeup, and perfumes. Her cousin had borrowed her all those things so that she could make a good impression at her first meeting with the Duke of Wintkrim. However, in the background, she could hear a high-pitched voice,

“I still don’t think that’s enough. You know, if you hadn't wasted all your time reading and gathering herbs, your skin would have been much whiter and smoother. How am I supposed to make you look presentable now?” asked Scarlett, frowning, and scoffing, while switching gazes between her and the maid who was doing Naavah’s hair.

“Remember to answer all his questions politely and sweetly. And flirting with him wouldn’t hurt either. Maybe he will propose to you, and we will finally get rid of you. I'm tired of seeing your sickly figure in the house, you know.”

Although she did not respond, Naavah felt the harshness and contempt of her cousin’s words. And she understood the reason why she had to behave like this with the Duke. Scarlett always told her that men adore a woman who speaks endearingly to them. And by doing so, she may be able to guarantee a future wedding.

But the truth is that she never wanted to get married. After all, no one would desire an ugly, frail, and cursed wife. Who, in their right mind, would want to take care of the one that would always make him fearful for her condition?

The curse made her this delicate, not allowing her to live an ordinary life from an early age. She had thought that by reading books about various herbs and potions, she could find a way to get rid of it or at least offer herself a chance to be like any other healthy person. She wanted to believe that fate might favor her for once in her life. Yet, it did not happen. So, at the age of 20, she resigned herself to the idea of marrying the first man who came knocking to ask for her to be his bride.

Suddenly, all three women could hear a few knocks on the door.

“He arrived. Do your best at least once in your miserable life, or else you won’t have it easy in this house afterward,” said Scarlett with hostility, leaving the room.

Continuing to stare at the bare table, Naavah sighed. She didn’t have the courage to check herself out in the mirror.

Her palms were sweaty, and she was distressed, not knowing what to say to him first. She had no idea of what this man looked like, what his interests were, or what he expected from his bride and future wife.

And she was familiar with this feeling. Due to her health condition, she rarely attended social gatherings and didn’t know how to start a conversation with a stranger. At that very moment, all she could do was try to conceal her nervousness.

After a few more minutes, a man dressed in a thick black cape, which accentuated his broad shoulders, entered the room. His hair was black, and his sharp, blue eyes made her feel like he could see right through her soul. She felt intimidated by him, but she couldn’t take her eyes off him. As if the air refused to make its way through her lungs, her breathing became heavy. She started to panic.

“You must be Naavah,” said the man, staring into her eyes.

Nodding with barely perceptible movements, Naavah could only think of how the sight of her eyes made him feel repulsed and shudder. Since she began to have memories, she knew that the red shade of her eyes had always been one of the favorite topics among those who bullied her.

“Would you not want me to enter?” he asked with a faint smile.

“Oh! Uhm, take a seat, please!”

After closing the door, he took a chair and placed it opposite her.

“I am Fyodor Wintkrim. Your uncle, Dargan, said you are a bit shy, but I never imagined that you could be so shy,” he said while laughing softly.

She averted her eyes and began biting her bottom lip. Ever since Dargan learned about the curse and the way it affects her health, he always claimed she was shy to avoid unpleasant situations. That was, of course, a lie. However, her reluctance to approach and communicate with strangers prevented her from doing anything against it. She had always expected that they would bully her, just like the others had done in the past.

“You shouldn’t do that,” he said, pointing at her bitten lip. “You will hurt yourself, and I bet you would not like to lose much blood, given your health situation.”

She stopped and pursed her lips in distaste. She wasn’t sure what his intentions were. Nevertheless, she found it hard to believe that he was actually concerned about her well-being, which made her feel disgusted with the man.

Glancing back at him, she wondered the meaning of his words. Thinking of it as a cue that Dargan had mentioned the curse to him, she didn't know what to say. But she didn't need to think of an answer because he was the one who carried on the conversation,

“Tell me what you want from your husband.”

She was taken aback by his words. Ubertina, her aunt, told her that men are interested only in their own pleasure and desires. Whether she was his wife or not, he would never care about her opinions or wishes. That is how things are, and she must learn this so she will not be hurt by reality and by the treatment she will receive. That is why she was bewildered.

As if sensing her doubts, he straightened his back and said with a gentle smile,

“It’s ok. You can speak freely. I will tell you as well.”

• I want to mention this in case this chapter seems a little bit confusing: the prologue represents what happened in the past and the reason for the main character's curse, and thus her health condition. In some chapters, there would be some references to one of the characters from the prologue, but mostly he will appear again in the epilogue. From this point forward, the story is about Naavah and her future husband.

• Feel free to leave a comment with your opinion about this chapter if you want. I would like to read your thoughts. Also, this helps me improving.

What do you think about Fyodor's last request? (to tell him what she wants from her husband)
  • Too bold Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unrealistic Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can see this happening under certain circumstances (e., if he wanted this from the beginning) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think it was placed where it should have been (maybe after they talked some more) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fanciful but I liked it because this is a fiction Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Realistic Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He didn't seemed like being sincere Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It didn't bothered me Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
3