Unexpected Friendship by Chance (1)
27 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Linda was combing her hair into a bun, Naavah bit her bottom lip, staring at her own reflection in the mirror. She couldn’t help but sigh, disheartened, as she saw the color of her eyes. The way her eyes glistened in the light, highlighting that bloody red shade, repulsed her.

Despite not being an innate trait, her husband seemed to consider it natural. This made Naavah reflect on what Fyodor told her a few days ago after they spent their first night.

"If he knows about the accident, then what does he think could have happened that determined the color of my eyes?" she thought, slightly touching her chin with her index finger.

She then looked at Linda’s reflection and remembered that she had talked with Fyodor about how gentle he must be on his first night with his wife. At that time, she found it a bit odd but decided to not question this any further. People from the cold lands were different from those in the warm lands, especially when it came to customs and how they treated their servants. Thus, she thought it might be natural for this to happen.

With that sudden memory, she found it no mistake to ask the maid what Fyodor considers about her past. Exhaling deeply, she gathered the courage to bring up the subject in the hope that she wouldn’t tell Fyodor later about it.

“Linda, I have a question for you,” she said in a firm yet sweet tone but then stopped. Lowering her gaze, she hesitated, realizing that it wouldn’t be wise to tell her maid her true intentions. After all, this woman was loyal only to the lord. Therefore, licking her lips, she continued, “I want to know how the people of this manor see me. Can you help me with it?”

Switching gazes between Naavah’s reflection in the mirror and her own hands, Linda continued to draw her Lady’s hair into a tight coil at the back of her head. Only one thought crossed her mind: that she wanted to take responsibility, so it would be useful to know how the servants viewed her. She also found out that she had successfully completed the documents three days ago and was overjoyed to brag about it to other maids. Then, thinking that the actual matter was about that day, and more so, about the Duke, she decided to respond in a considerate way.

“Oh, I can tell you that it's no secret that people consider you a smart and beautiful woman. All of them were so impressed that you've helped our master,” she said, smiling joyfully. However, she paused for a few moments and pondered the best way to express her thoughts. “If it's about the Duke, please be assured that he knew you'd do a great job.”

“He told someone this?” asked Naavah, trying her best to not show her emotions.

“I have no knowledge of this,” she said, lowering her gaze. But thinking that Naavah might feel discouraged, she continued quickly, “But please allow me to tell you this, my lady! The Lord is a very capable and intelligent man. He always knew how to choose the right person for the right task. He learned it throughout the years. His reason is beyond his own feelings. So, regarding the Lord’s sentiments for you, he gave you that task only because he thought you were capable of it. After all, he did this when he hired all of us.”

Naavah’s eyes sparkled both with delight and interest, seeing the opportunity to find out more about her husband and to get to the point she wanted from the beginning.

“Does he always check other people’s backgrounds before allowing them to enter his house?”

“Yes. Most of the servants around here are people the lord knew before moving into this manor. You see, because he's a knight, he's met a lot of people and offered a few of them some jobs here. I also heard that one of the servants was his friend, but I am not so sure who it is or if this is actually true. Whatever the truth is, I can say that he trusts his servants.”

“You were one of those people?” asked Naavah, completely taken aback by this information but still curious.

“Oh, no. I was just an old lady who wanted something to work. I came to speak when I heard he was searching for a personal maid for his wife. I worked before as another fine lady’s maid, and I thought I could manage. But there was not after he read me from head to toe that he offered me this job.”

Naavah frowned slightly but didn’t continue to talk about it. Although she didn't find out what she actually wanted, she nonetheless found something interesting and quite unexpected. Making a mental note to try to find out who is that friend of Fyodor, she let the matter aside. After all, one thing was clear to her: Fyodor had no idea about the curse, and whatever he knew happened to provoke the change in her eyes’ color was a lie.

Sipping from her cup of tea, Naavah listened to what the other five women were gossiping about, making an effort to conceal her repugnance. Even though she knew that there would be chit-chats about trivial matters, the idea of talking badly about someone else’s life without actually knowing them was repulsing for her.

The owner of the tea party, Deliah Flaughtes, ran her hand through her golden hair and smoked a cigarette, remaining as quiet as she was. However, Naavah still couldn’t figure out if she liked the discussion or not.

Scarlett, her cousin, on the other hand, was enjoying herself hearing the rumors about the new man one of the Emperor’s daughters wanted to sleep with.

“And you know what the funniest part is? He is the Prince, and he is meant to marry Lady Thimfervine, so he refused her,” said Fabia, laughing.

“Is he Prince Martin? The King’s son? Are you sure?” asked Katia with wide eyes, lowering the cup of tea from her mouth.

“I don’t believe this. Who would refuse the daughter of the Emperor? He should be a fool then,” concluded Gabrielle while chewing a piece of cake.

“Maybe he did actually sleep with her,” said Deliah impassively, and after she puffed another time from her cigarette, she continued, crossing her legs under the table, “Maybe he is all about one-night stands. Men are into these kinds of relationships these days.”

Seeing Naavah frowning, the corners of Scarlett’s mouth raised.

“And not only single men are into this. I know, for a fact, that even married men prefer to engage in such acts just to release the tension. I have a friend who experienced the lack of loyalty from her husband,” said Scarlett, slightly tilting her head and with a faint smile on her face.

“Oh, please! The Duke doesn’t have the courage to do such a thing. I know him well,” said Deliah, snorting in annoyance.

“The Duke of Flaughtes may be a good man, but I was thinking about the Duke of Wintkrim. You knew that the Duke’s father had many mistresses in his youth, right, Naavah? Perhaps his son will follow in his father’s footsteps,” said Scarlett, smirking.

• Due to some personal reasons, I would post 1 to 2 chapters per week. I think this will happen for a few weeks. After that, I will return to the 'normal' posting schedule.

• Feel free to leave a comment with your opinion about this chapter if you want. I would like to read your thoughts. Also, this helps me improving.

2